Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dragon's Milk

A truly fae nectar! Dragon's blood resin and honeyed vanilla.

I think Dragon's Milk was separated at birth with Dana O'Shee.

Although Dragon's Blood resin is very different to the almondy Dana, they both have the same deliciously creamy drydown. :P

Just like Dana, Dragon's Milk starts out quite brightly, the suddenly Poof! It morphs into a beautiful, delicate, warm scent. As this happens the Dragon's Blood note becomes almost floral. I don't usually like florals, but I love this.

In dragon's milk I have found something to rival Dana in my affections- amazing!
I will be buying 5mls of this.

Thanks again Miggins, for letting my try this imp :D

When I ordered my set of imps, this was my last addition to the list. I ordered the imps so that I could test Persephone, but ended up loving this one more than any. Vanilla scents have always played nice with the chemistry of my skin, and this one is just warm and girly enough to be perfect while not being too food-ish and edible. A day later I can still smell the faintest hint of vanilla when I smell my wrist.

When I wear the scent to work, the reviews are endlessly amazing. I have been stopped by coworkers and guests alike, all asking what I am wearing that smells so good. I took that as a good sign and ordered a larger vial of it. I can't wait until it arrives, my imp is almost out!

Oh....this smells so good. Not foody but warm and yummy with a deep floral vein to it. Wow, on me this is delicious and sweet, sexy stuff. I will be thinking about a big bottle of this. It lasted all day on me too, another plus. I love the mix of the honey with the flowers and dragon's blood making for a deep milky sweetness that envelopes the wearer. A keeper for sure.

Kimberly

First sniff - Oh .. my .. god .. It smells exquisite, of vanilla and honey and goodness.... I'm so glad I didn't have anything on this morning, so I could put some on right away!

Wet on skin - Very vanilla and honey-like, with a musky undertone that's not too strong..

for the next couple of hours I couldn't stop smelling my wrist.. mmm..

And dry - I definitely smell powder.. it's so fresh, it semms to me like a mix of baby powder and vanilla cream, and I love it. I love it so much I made soap and bath salts, and will be ordering a large bottle. Amazing.

I bought an imp of Dragon's Milk off another forumite before I knew how sweet dragon's blood turns on me. I wish that the spicy notes of dragon's blood came out on me, because they would have balanced the sweetness of the dragon's blood, vanilla and honey combo. Thankfully, this is not as insulin-spiking sweet as Blood Lotus was on me, so I plan to layer Dragon's Milk with spicier/earthier fragrances to use up my imp.

Oooh...wonderful!

Sweet and milky, vanilla desserty with a dragon's blood edge.

I really like it - I definitely see why so many people chose it as a comfort scent (comfort scents thread).

I wore it all through DragonCon 2004 (good scent for being in crowds -entirely friendly, warm and inoffensive), and ordered a bottle soon after.

Oh, this is pretty. This ranks right at the top of my BPAL favorites. At first whiff, it is very light and feminine - to me, a cherry-almond-vanilla smell. But applied it behaves unlike any other BPAL oil I've tried. At first it disappeared entirely. Then after a few minutes, the dragon's blood emerged and that was mostly all I could smell. After about 20 minutes, the vanilla emerged and it seemed to settle into that same sweet milky scent I'd first sniffed. Much to my surprise, this lasted a really long time on me - all night long and at the perfect palpable-but-not-overwhelming level. This is pretty much what I hoped Dana O'Shee would be (which I like but doesn't show up on me.)

I have 2 5 mls of this one and I ADORE it - reminds me of snake oil and dragon's blood mixed together. As said, a very comforting scent, sweet and warm, and I find myself wanting to wear it all the time. One of my all-time favorites.

Dragons Milk:

Wow...sweet vanilla and the dragon's blood "cherriness" peeking out. This is another wonderful vanilla blend from the lab. And the honey is just tickling my nose.

Larger bottle, definitely!

Got this as a bonus from the Lab.

Two folks I *knew* would enjoy it are exactly the same folks who chose it as their "anoint me!" scent. (I was celebrating my first order.) And they were VERY pleased with their selections.

Male response: mmmm, it's incense-y.

Female response: I LOVE Dragon's Blood. I love this. How many "dragon" scents are there? Can I order a set? Can I order two Dragon's Blood and two Dragon's Milk? What are the others like? How will I decide? And they're ... (fill in the blank with enthusiastic happiness at smelling good).

And I had it on my fingertips from applying a generous daub for them. It DOES smell good.

More when I actually get to wear it!

ETA: OK ... here we go.

Wet: mostly incense and faint cherries.

Drying: Vanilla starts to creep into the scent. Tried on wrists with Dragon's Bone in elbow crooks. The sweet and earthy combine well. Thank goodness the honey seems to be taking a back seat.

The vanilla stays around as the incense exits and has good lasting power. It is a tad powdery after many (8+) hours, but not a sneezy type powder scent.

Actually, I'm revising that last sentence. The more I've worn this scent, the more powdery it's become after many hours. It's the O baby powdery scent. Probably due to the honey. This is making it difficult to wear more often. The imp will be used up over time, but probably that will be it for this dragon scent. :P

Edited by yellowrose

I so wanted to like this one, but it really isn't me.

In the bottle, Dragon's Milk smells positively yummy - vanilla with a hint of cherry and spice. However, my skin amps up the dragon's blood and turns it strong and bitter, which overpowers the vanilla and honey. The other dragon blends I've tried do the same thing. I think I would do well to avoid it from now on. *sigh*

This smelled very fruity wet, and slightly powdery. Really unique and I'm having a hard time trying to describe it. As it started to dry I got a definite strong floral undertone (ick!!!) over the initial wet smell with a little bit of vanilla. After that, it became a very creamy, warm vanilla with a very, very slight kick underneath that's vaguely reminiscent of cinnamon (and it's making me crave more cinnamon in it!). I love this now, and plan on turning it into my signature scent!

[edit] was told that this smells like public restrooms. I can see where that point of view is coming from, so..I'm not going to be wearing this much. I don't want to smell like the potty. :P

Edited by luxuria

In the vial

At first whiff, it's very sugary sweet. I can definitely smell the honeyed vanilla, but there's also that faintly tangy floral I associate with dragon's blood. There's really no other note that smells quite like it.

Wet

That slightly metallic quality of dragon's blood comes out when it hits my skin. As usual, it's similar to the slightly metallic scent of real blood. The vanilla provides a good base for it though.

Drydown

Purely sweet, honeyed vanilla! The dragon's blood has retreated to the background to give it that faint metallic kick, but there's also a slightly smoky/incensey scent that I can't identify. It's faint, but definitely there when I sniff my arm. It's subtle, but I don't think it's really the dragon's blood as I didn't get that quality in Dragon's Tears.

Final Thoughts

This is such a comforting scent. The name's very appropriate as it's creamy and milky. I just want to cuddle when I smell this. I'll have to try this out more before I decide if I want a bottle. :P

::scratches head:: Have I really not reviewed this before?

Dragon's Milk smells like the scent that's left on your clothes when you've worn Snake Oil the day before. It's a thick, but not strong (like Sugar Skull) sugary vanilla. It's nice to add some heaviness to other blends, like for making a heavier Dana O'shee. Very comforting, good to wear before bed.

On me this is Snake Oil without as much complexity. A tiny bit fruity-- the Dragon's blood, I presume, although I've never before encountered it and thus cannot find it in this blend with any great authority. On me it's vanilla, but not the really great vanilla that's in Snake Oil. A tiny bit artificial in this blend, though not much. It's nice, and I like it, but given that on my skin it's just a less masterful rendering of Snake Oil, I'll stick with the original and put this into the swap pile. It's a purty color, though! :P

I got this as a bonus from the lab with my first imp order. (thanks!)

I sniffed it, wore it and couldn't stop sniffing my wrists all day

long. But I decided that maybe it wasn't "me".

Months later I picked up the imp again - and "me" be damned - have been wearing it nearly every day since and just got a 5 ml from a fellow forumite!

It smells pretty much the same in the vial, on me, and later in the day.

It gets a little less "sweet" as the hours wear on, but the same basic scent

is there.

As I've mentioned in other posts, my body totally amps up dragon's blood,

as well as honey - which has led me to dislike other scents with both of these

elements.

Here, however, since both are so strong, neither side "wins" and it all blends

together perfectly in a way that reminds me of the scent of my milk and honey conditioner combined with the slightly cherry-incensey dragon's blood scent.

On me (and the boy, when it's sort of unintentionally "transferred" to him, if you know what I mean) it has that sexy (or sex) quality that I was hoping for that others seem to get from O and the like.

Dragon's Milk

Having read so many good reviews, I had super high hopes for this one.

OMFG. I LOOOOVE this. For several reasons....

1. It has honeyed vanilla and Dragon's Blood.

2. It lasts all day

3. It makes me feel delicious, even when I am absolutely not.

:P

Mmmmm... New love :P This reminds me a lot of Morocco, perhaps it's the sweetness thing. Adorable! It's warm and sweet and honey-vanilla'd, and has Dragon's Blood to give a round, warm scent with just a tiny hint of sharp red fruit to stop things collapsing into a creamy vanilla orgy. Perfect. The honey in here is not a note I immediately picked up on, but it's there, drifting around underneath the vanilla. This is warm and cosy and dreamy. I'm in love. On me, this is Morocco with less almond (though still some), and as such is nearly enough to keep me going until my 5ml arrives in January! Nearly... :D

I can't believe I sniffed this originally, said 'meh' and put it back in the box!! *dribble* 5ml for sure, though it'd be a little norty, since it is so much like Morocco on my skin. :D I just want to pour my imp all over myself!

BPAL has changed my feelings for vanilla. That nasty vanilla body spray that everyone used to use at school (and I boarded, so I got it all day and night not just in PE!) kinda turned me off it, but BPAL's is a gloriously foody sweet smell that I'm loving, probably because it's blended so perfectly.

ETA a note I missed.

Edited by Lady Ravenglass

this was the second bpal fragrance i tried and i loooved it

in the bottle smelled very sweet and faintly like cotton candy being spun

wet still smelled of cotton candy but w/ something else i can't quite place possibly the vanilla maybe a vanilla cotton candy :P

as it dried i started falling in love it just got better and better the vanilla started to shine thru but def didn't cancel out the dragon's blood it was a beautiful dance and i just adored participating as a bystander. my dh didn't like it as much as dragons tears but he liked it too. we went in the hot tub and even our heavily chlorinated jacuzzi didn't remove the smell i smelled it all night and even into the morning it gave me luciously beautiful dreams def a 5 ml scent for me

edit because i spelled the teh twice and didn't want to annoy anyone :D

Edited by shelldoo

Mmmmmm... oh, I cannot get enough of this one!

In the vial and on me it smelled like a sugary, warm, deep vanilla. For about 10 mintues the dragon's blood was slightly tangible beneath the sweet vanilla, the same berry-bubblegum I detected in Tintagel, but fainter and not unpleasant here. There was also a strong gardenia or honeysuckle type floral, but it faded within an hour. Then it became the ultimate sweet vanilla, in my opinion. The dragon's blood helps ground it and give some depth..

Just sweet, warm, lusciousness. Definite 5 or 10 ml for me.

Edited by Fyre_in_Winter

First sniff: Creamy, sweet, nice. :P

On me: Mmm, Fruity... it's very sweet, seductive in a way, I could lick it!!!

It smells like a lolli a bit, it's very yummy... A bit Cherry-Like....

Then it turns into Cotton Candy on me. I swear. It's so yummy, I about DIED. It's amazing. I really like this scent! It's making me feel like I could just drool all over it. Yum. :D

It pretty much stays Cotton Candy on me, it's so good!

I received this one as a freebie from the lab, so I had no expectations as to how this scent would smell.

In the vial, it was very, very sweet.

On initial application, it was soft and sweet. The vanilla really tempered the sharp sweetness of the dragon's blood. It didn't change much on my skin. It kind of mellowed, but it didn't get any less sweet or soft.

Overall, it didn't do anything weird on my skin, but it's really not a me scent. I didn't get any of the incense other people did which I probably would have preferred. It's very nice, but very pink.

Very sweet in a decadent sort of way. Honey, vanilla, something incense-y, and something like sharp-sweet as a counter. It's faintly spicy in the bottle. It mellows a bit on me at first, and it seems to settle with a bit less sugar and a bit more of the soft and sorta exotic notes. It suits me nicely, and gives me a nice happy cloud of mmm-aroma all day. On second wearing, it was just as tasty, and just as long-lasting.

Dragon's Blood at it's finest! I love this scent. That deep resiny scent that is Dragon's Blood mixed perfectly with just the right amount of honey sweetend vanilla. It's got to be one of my all time favorites!

This is the first oil the new boyfriend has commented on. Granted it was the usual "Mmmm...you smell like incense" that all my oils elicit, but it WAS followed by quite a loving demonstration of olfactory appreciation. This is a keeper, sweet and rich, smoky and vanillafied.