Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dragon's Milk

A truly fae nectar! Dragon’s blood resin and honeyed vanilla.

I figured, while I'm feeling my way around, I'd give a few of the more popular blends a whirl where I can find them to adopt. They must have appeal for a reason, right? (:

In the imp, I get something that makes me think... kind of fruity french vanilla. Not distinctly cherry or almondy or like anything else I've tried that has had dragon's blood in it, but definitely related.

Wet on skin, the scent blooms - it's lovely and creamy and a little fruity, with a non-buttery vanilla.

Once it's dried down, the honey starts making itself known. It's asserting itself as the thing I get between the fruity part, and the creamy vanilla part of the scent.

I really like this - I don't think I could wear it in the heat of summer, but I'd have a lot of love for it while the weather is pretending hard that summer's not just round the corner here!

I put this on about 2 hours ago and so far really like it (which is good, as the first 5 scents I tried really didn't agree with me at all :-( )

At first it was definitely marzipan, which is all good ;-)

Now I've got mostly toasted coconut and strong vanilla, with almost a hint of smoke, or incense? Maybe that's the Dragon's blood? (I have no idea what that smells like ;-))

I am just praying it doesn't go "flyspray" on me as I keep thinking it's about to head in that direction. If not, I am thinking the bf will really like it... it's almost like I've just blown out a vanilla-hazelnut candle, with that lingering just-blown-out smoke smell mixed with the candle scent.

Edited by RougeNoir

I loooooooove this scent. It's a warm, soft, pretty vanilla/honey scent. A bit more food-y than O and not quite as sexual, this is a great everyday scent for me. Very comforting, very pretty. The scent stayed pretty true weather wet/dry/fading (though I have a bit of a cold so I can't smell it as well when it starts to fade), although wet I can smell more of the dragon's blood and as it dried I smell more vanilla.

Also, I forgot to add, this scent lasts FOREVER on me. Not a big throw, but I can still smell it hours and hours later. The more I wear it the more I love it.

Edited by talula_fairie

No, there was a reason why I asked honey and my skin NOT GO TOGETHER. People adore this blend more than any of the other Ars Draconis, and while I love or like most Ars Draconis blends (Heart and Bone being my favourites) I have tried, and most other things with dragon's blood like Wilhelmina Murray, Dragon's Milk is turning into that medicinal plastic stuff when it hits my skin again, reminding me of O and NOT in a good way. So it is going somewhere where it will get loads of love, and I am disappointed.

Twelve pages of reviews? I can see why.

The bright red oil beads up on my skin when applied and needs to be rubbed in. Odd. But once my skin gets hold of it, oh my goodness. There is a fruity touch to make it a 'red' smell, but mainly it's creamy honey and vanilla with an underlying spicy tingle. Honey can go wonky on my skin, but here it behaves and there's none of the waxiness I get from straight dragon's blood. This is warm and cuddly and comforting. It lasts a good long time and has a pretty strong throw--it's the scent I'd wear if I wanted to comfort someone else.

It smells nourishing. This is exactly what I would imagine dragon's milk to be: rich and sweet and creamy, with a fire that warms but does not burn. I can see a loving mother dragon nursing her little one on this, passing along the gift of fire mixed with her own nurturing sweetness.

Dragon's Milk smells very floral in the vial to my nose, and I'm not sure why. My first experience with this oil was from my attempts to merely smell my new imps in their vials... and I ended up with Mouse's Long and Sad Tale and Dragon's Milk all over me. They may not have mixed well, because I remember being very displeased.

Anyway, Dragon's Milk solo...

In the vial: Sweet floral. If I inhale more than gently I feel a headache coming on in my sinuses.

First applied: Holy floral overload! I'm trying to place what floral this actually smells like to me (it's been forever since I worked in a flower shop)... kind of like hyacinth (you know, at Easter? They come in purple, pink, and white.) Easter florals actually drive me nuts because their smells are so heady/sharp... I'll give Dragon's Milk a few more minutes to tone down, but if that doesn't happen this is coming off.

15 minutes later: It has certainly calmed down, but it's just a less-intense version of hyacinth with vanilla and honey. I like it much better now; however, it doesn't pose any sort of challenge to my favorites, so I won't hold on to it.

It took me a long while to give in and try this scent. Wow. It's so different, it's sweet and yet earthy and spicy at the same time. It's awesome!

in the imp: very very sweet with a hint of resin muskiness.

wet: thick resiny sweetness, a little floral? cloying.

dry: notes have tempered down somewhat, still very sweet and heady. as a perfume it's not really "me" at all - i prefer lighter, fresher scents, i think this a bit too "rich" for me, would work better as a room scent.

Ok, so how exactly do you milk a dragon? Heh.

I LOVE this one. Of all the dragon's so far this is the best. The vanilla is there but not overpowering 'HI I'M VANILLA' There is a warm roundness that just is lovely.

In the vial it smells very, very sweet. Vanilla and a bit of bubblegum (=dragon's blood) On it is a lot warmer. And weirdly, it reminds me of neroli o_O Very strange, but it really does. It is a lot nicer than I imagined it. I guess it is the honey that makes me like it, since it is the note I like the most from those listed. It is pretty soft and not cloying. I can smell the vanilla, vanilla bean, but it is soft and nice. And I still perceive something that makes me think of orange flower! weirdd.

Not a scent I would reach for, I think, but who knows. I quite like it. I think that fae nectar is a good description.

Dried down, I think it is too much of a sweet vanilla for my tastes :S

But I can see why it is one of the favorites!

I can't decide if I like this or not. At first, the combination of honeyed vanilla and dragon's blood smelled a lot like honeysuckle to me. Upon drydown, I can detect the individual components more.

I think cloying's a good description, but it's not overly bad, just hard to take a lot of. It definitely smells like a floral to me, and I'm not crazy about that.

i absolutely love this scent, and am so glad i finally got a chance to try it, because it has jumped to the the top of my GC 'must have' list.

warm, sweet, and sexy spice...a dragon's blood scent that works for me! i'm thrilled!

IN BOTTLE: Cherry vanilla, and something that creeps into my nose and grabs hold tight. An unscented power behind the sweetness.

FIRST APPLIED: The cherry smell spreads out instantly and it starts to smell a lot drier and more herbal. It's a sweet, mild, strong, and dry all at once. Dusk, dark, deep, dripping, dust, a lot of D words to describe this, ironically. I really like it. I didn't think I'd be fond of cherry smells, but I am. I wonder where that even comes from!

DRYING-DOWN: More floral now, probably the dragon's blood, but still something dripping and sweet, yet dry. I really like this. It's a keeper!

It smells dark and sweet at first, but I'm unable to pick out any vanilla in it. It only takes an hour or two to turn to a sort of sickly sweet cigar smoke scent on me, like Samhain does, though it takes Samhain much longer. The strange thing is, nobody *else* thinks it smells tobacco-y on me, they're all smelling the vanilla, which I can't find anywhere! Is there something wrong with my nose? I'm gonna have to try this one again and see if my nose is in a different mood, otherwise it's swap time, which is rather disappointing after all the great reviews of it.

Warm Dragons Blood Resin and Honeyed Vanilla .. this is a very luxe and decadent scent . Ive always found Dragons Blood to be very masculine and unwearable.. for me anyway .. this combo though softens the smoky harshness of Dragons Blood. The vanilla gives it a much more feminine twist and yet leaves it an empowering scent .. Big Bottle most defiantly!

In the bottle: cherries and honey, very sweet and fruity.

On skin: light vanilla, honey, and dragon's blood. Lasts half an hour on me, with no throw whatsoever, but I like the scent enough to not swap it. I'm just gonna have to slather it on! :P

This is my first try of anything with dragons blood in it.

So, Dragons Milk:

Lilacs? It did smell a bit milky in the imp, but when I put it on - lilacs! After 5 min or so it's turning into something almost grape smelling, but there's something incense-ey trying to come through. Still a lot like lilacs. 10 Min later, still lilacs, nothing grapey anymore. I can tell 20 minutes later that it's trying to be vanilla and something else (the Dragon's Blood, I guess), and I'm getting a little less of the “Lilac!” Impression. 30 minutes on, it's sweet, but not too sweet, and I'm thinking I like this. An hour later, still sweet, but less lilac-like. Kind of soft and maybe a bit powdery, now. Fading an hour later, I have to get right on my wrist to smell it. An hour and a half later, still there a bit, now smelling soft and sweet. Ten minutes later it's a bit spicier. I'm starting to really like this. 2 hours in it smells like DragonCon, I'm sure I've smelled this in the dealer's room. Must be the dragons blood.

I'm definitely keeping the imp, but at this point I don't think I'll ever need a bottle of this. Of course, my mind may change...

As it turns out, I tried Tintagel later, and it was OMG LILACS on me too - so I'm thinking it's the Dragons Blood.

So pretty.

There's a bit of grenadine in the initial wet stages. Odd, that while cherry stinks on me, candied cherry is nice!

There was a post from a mom who uses this as her child's magic bedtime perfume, to calm and bring sweet dreams. I see why. I wore this to bed, and it was so soothing and gentle, and very unlike my usual sleep blends of Quietude and Snow Moon. I got the deepest sleep I've had in weeks... thanks to drifting off while wrapped in such a comforting scent.

In the bottle: A nice warm vanilla

Wet: Vanilla with something sharp...I swear it almost smells like bug spray?

As it's drying, it still has the chemical sharpness. I have no idea what went wrong, but I am not liking this. I will give it a while longer, hoping it will morph into something I like, but if it doesn't, it's off to swaps. Or perhaps it might work better in a locket?

ETA:

Ok, now the sharpness has faded and it smells like a rich vanilla incense. Lovely. Will try again.

Edited by Femme_Fatale

Wet: Honeyed vanilla. So sugary I almost want to drink it.

First on: My skin amps the dragon's blood immediately. It's now a warm vanilla-cherry with the force of dragon's blood behind it.

Dry: Still rich and heady, warm vanilla and cherry-resin dragon's blood. Wish I could bathe in the stuff.

Oh wow. This isn't what I expected at all. This is fiery and sensual and very sweet - it's a very round scent with all elements complimenting each other. It's strong, too, and I adore it beyond reason.

In the bottle, fruity-sweet. Not something I would usually wear, but I'm feeling adventurous.

Wet: Bubblegum. I smell like strawberry bubblegum. Overwhelmingly so. My inner dragon is indignant that anyone would think dragons smell like this.

As it dries, the scent deepens down, and now (2 hours later) I'm getting some vanilla mixed with the fruitiness.

Maybe if I applied it in miniscule amounts, it wouldn't be so overwhelming and I could wait for the vanilla to come out. I don't dislike it, but I won't be ordering it again. Maybe I can swap it for some Dorian or Casanova...

In the imp: Vanilla dragon's blood with a touch of honey. I've already decided that I need a bottle of this *starts praying it doesn't do anything weird on my skin*.

Wet: The second it hit my skin it softens and becomes less vanilla sweet. It still smells sensational however.

Drydown: Mmmm as it warms up the dragon's blood is starting to bloom and although I only put a little on one wrist I can smell it wafting around me. The vanilla and honey is making it a lot softer than the other Ars Draconis blends I have tried so far - it's not as brash, maybe a little more feminine. Beautiful.

Dry: The honey soon fades away, but the vanilla moves back up a notch and it and the dragon's blood remain entwined for hours. It has really good throw, even though it's not overly strong. Not overtly sexy like Dragon's Heart or Musk, but very alluring. This doesn't change at all once the honey goes, not surprising as vanilla and dragon's blood are both very stable on my skin.

Yep, straight to the top of my I need a bottle list. Really, I should stop wasting time and money and just buy bottles of the Ars Draconis blends without trying out imps first. I have yet to meet one I didn't like, and 4/5 are now bottle scents (and I have 1 more to try and another on the way as well).

Edited by Trishek

I thought this was the only of the Dargon's Blood blends that sounded nice. It's overwhelmingly popular and it has vanilla. I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Oh I was wrong.

In the bottle: So nice!! Spicy, but not in the cinnamon sense, with a underlying sweetness. I couldn't wait to slather it on.

Wet: What happened!?! Grape. Artificial grapes. Yuck.

Dry: Powder. Not baby powder, but still powder. =/

I do not like this. It smells so exquisite in the imp, but my chemistry destroyed it. *sigh* Someone, somewhere, will love this, but it's not me.