Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dragon's Milk

A truly fae nectar! Dragon's blood resin and honeyed vanilla.

Initial Sniff: Super sweet warm honey vanilla in the bottle. I can see why others have thought it smelled like cherry - when I think about it, that's all I can smell.

Wearing: There's the Dragon's Blood! Yum. This is sweet and warm, but not quite so sickly sweet as it is in the bottle.

Final Impressions: This is yummy. A little sweeter than I usually like my scents, but it layers with other scents just beautifully, making a big bottle a must!

I just got an imp of this one in a trade

first impressions (on skin and in the bottle), reminds me of Kool-aide! (the cherry smell everyone seems to notice I suppose)

its mellowing out already, and starting to smell very nice. perhaps more fruity than I normally like, but we'll see towards the end of the day...hopefully my chemistry allows the smokyness to come out as well as the sweet

The complexities of these oils are amazing to me,

this one is definately worth a smell and we'll see how addictive it becomes!

When I first put this on, it was as if I had spilled Marachino cherry juice on my wrists. A VERY sugary cherry smell.

After a few minutes, it settled into a slightly warmer smell, with a hint of spice peeking through. However, the predominant smell is still quite sugary and syrupy.

Surprisingly, I am enjoying this one. However, I will have to be VERY careful not to apply too much, because this scent easily could become overpowering I think.

:D

Edited to add -- Since writing this review, Dragon's Milk has become one of my favorites. As I get to know it, the warm almond scent comes out more and more. It's a very comforting, lickable scent that I find myself reaching for more and more!

:P

Edited by summer

First Impression: Love love love! :P One of my favorite notes of all the scents I've had the joy of trying is the dragon's blood resin. It's hypnotic and addictive.

Second Impression: My precious dragon's blood married with sweet honeyed vanilla. I'm speechlessly in love. It's thick and sweet in the best way possible.

Final Analysis: In a word, orgasmic.

Well, this is definatley my fav so far. I have like 6-7 scents on and this one is truly amazing! So sweet, and warm... I love the way this smells, I would by it by the gallon! :P

At first: Dragon's blood and brown sugar/caramel/cream. Yummy. Dragon's blood resin is becoming one of my favorite notes.

Later: The vanilla takes over, the dragon's blood disappears, and it becomes a little too sticky-sweet for me. I think I prefer Dana O'Shee for a milky-honey scent to wear, as it's lighter, but this might make a nice room scent.

Ah, I love this. I haven't had great luck with Dragon's Blood in other scents, but in this one... OOOH, it's just amazing. Further proof that one shouldn't necessarily dismiss a scent because of one particular note.

Anyhow, back to Dragon's Milk specifically... it's so creamy and warm, but light enough that it could be easily worn in warmer weather (here in Seattle, it's never too hot to wear "warm" scents, really). It does have a slight tinge of almondy-marzipany yumminess, which I am guessing is unique to the blend of Dragon's Blood with vanilla? This is another oil that will go well with Lush Snowcake. There is also just a wee hint of something woody underneath the surface which adds something very, very sexy to the creaminess of this scent.

And this one LASTS, at least on me. It's going past the nine-hour mark and still smells divine. This definitely goes on my get-a-big-bottle list.

In the bottle: I've found with all my scents so far that the smell in the imp is nothing like the result in skin, and Dragon's Milk didn't stand out too much. Sweet, with a hint of fruit, but nothing special.

On skin: I swiped a little on my left wrist and from there, rubbed it on my right. Wow! It smells heady and fruity (while wet, like cherries, though that disappeared quite quickly), like a spiced honey-and-vanilla. Maybe the spice is the Dragon's Blood? I'm not sure what that's meant to smell like, though. It's very sweet, and the vanilla is quite subtle. On my sister, however, the vanilla is more prominent, and the scent is lighter overall. It wafts very nicely, and as soon as I walked in the room my mother could smell it. I'm glad I didn't apply too much.

An hour later: This just keeps on changing! The spiciness died down after a while, and the vanilla really came through in a pleasant way. Then, an hour later, the spice was back! One thing I love about this is that the vanilla isn't overpowering at all.

After about four hours: It's died down now to a very warm vanilla-and-honey, with the spice definitely taking a backseat. Not as strong as when first applied, but it's still definitely there.

Overall: This is a warm, heady, sweet scent that has lasts well (I imagine I'd have to reapply after about 6-7 hours, although I only put a very little bit on) and really merges with the skin rather than sitting on it. As mentioned earlier, it's creamy, delicious, and the hint of spice gives it a subtle, sexy feel. Absolutely gorgeous. I will definitely wear it again.

Edited by Rhian

Now this one was weird. After all the rapturous reviews, I couldn't wait to try it, but when it was first on my skin, the dominant note was rubber! Yup, definitely wellie boots fresh out the box there. This was not what I'd anticipated! :P

After a couple of hours, though, I get the vanilla and fruit that others have mentioned. It reminds me very much of Snake Oil, but without that warm sexy spiciness that I love in that scent. I'll be keeping the imp, I think, but I might try layering it with Snake Oil and see how that works.

I am SO much in love with this scent. Upon first application it has a thick cherry scent to me that reminds me of Blood and Blood Lotus. As it dries however, the vanilla scent just glows through, blending beautifully.

This is certainly one of my YUM scents, as my husband simply LOVES the vanilla scent on me, but this one isn't as darkly sexual as Blood Lotus is with the cherry scent. This is definatly one that I will buy a bigger bottle with. I got this in a swap after I had already bought the imp, so I get to share an imp with my friends.[

Ah...in re-reading the description, I see there is vanilla in this! Now much becomes clear. I was thinking it was just dragon's blood and honey and was confused at the creaminess I was smelling. This is a lovely fragrance. It doesn't change on me, staying pretty consistent both wet and dry. The front note is berry-ish but not really in the typical berry way. (Sorry for that contradictory statement). It has a sweet, creamy backing that keeps it from being too close to the fruity end of the spectrum, and indeed, I could probably handle even more of that creaminess, being a vanilla fan. Best of all, this one blends beautifully with my chemistry, unlike most scents which either fight me or just sit there. Good stuff; this is a lovely, nectar cream.

I thought I loved this, too. The first few times I wore it, it reminded me of Snake Oil in that it was very comforting. The vanilla appears first, then the dragon's blood comes out. When the latter first comes out, it's a bit smoky (when it most reminds me of Snake Oil). However, over time, it gets very sweet. The image I get is of cherries, but it doesn't quite smell like cherries. Just very sweet candy (yet not candy). Either way, it's very sweet. Too sweet, in fact. When I wore this to play tennis one night, I kept on thinking that I would be a prime target for the mosquitoes (and I was, to a certain extent).

Wow! I have been wanting to try this one for a while and forgot to order it in my first order (of which I only have had TWO...but still, I've been lurking looking for just the *right ones*). Anyways. I got this one today and had to put it on before even smelling it just in the bottle, because I was so sure I'd love it. Sure enough I love it! I haven't had a scent with dragon's blood in it for a loooooong time. The last time I had it I ended up spilling it on my favorite sweater...so hopefully that luck won't follow me here. I love the way the vanilla just makes the dragon's blood float next to the skin. It makes it so much richer than dragon's blood already is! For me the dragon's blood when dry brings to mind lilacs not fruit like everyone else, then again - maybe it's my skin chemistry. It brings back memories of playing out in my parent's backyard and sucking on the lilac flowers with my friends. Ahhh...to be 8 again!

~eclecticaura~

in the vial: Reminds me of a more mystical O.

on my skin: I'm picturing baby dragons drinking this. :D This is indeed very fae...the dragon's blood adds so much depth. This scent has so much personality. It's incredibly sweet, though, sweeter than any other BPAL I've tried thus far...I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing. It's kinda giving me a headache... (aaaaaaw!) I'm going to try this again in a couple days, maybe it's just my weird hormones messing with my body chemistry... (shrug) This smells promising, though, I love vanilla and I love dragon's blood...I just wish it were a wee bit less sickeningly sweet. :D

ETA: This grew on me. I'm still not sure I'll buy a 5ml, but I'll use up the imp for sure. This is a very visual scent...magenta baby dragons, almost Jim Henson Dark Crystal like, nursing from the mommy dragon. Very mystical and a little creepy. Just my cup of tea. :D

ETA AGAIN: This is probably my favorite BPAL now. I ordered a 5ml and I can't ever picture being without it again!!! :P

Edited by Effluvia

First sniff: Dragon's Milk definitely matches its candy-red colour. It’s very sweet (not quite to the point of being sickly), but also very deep – it’s cute and cuddly but you wouldn’t want to get on its bad side.

Wearing: Oh heavenly wow. My skin might hate many resins, but it LOVES dragon’s blood. I suspect it senses a kindred spirit. This dragon is a brighter red than the one in Dragon’s Heart, a young, playful dragon, with the personality of a huge rambunctious shaggy dog who doesn’t realise his size and knocks you over every time he tries to say hello. The sweetness seems to cling close to my skin, and the aura is smooth vanilla surrounded in red warmth – utterly glorious.

Wet, this smells like cherry cough syrup.

Dry and after about half an hour, it mellows out into a smoother, less jarring cherry-vanilla. Thick and soft. Could be a very nice cold-weather scent (I can picture wearing it with a snuggly sweater), but I just don't love it the way I love O. Will be swapped.

Edited by Electra

My nose interprets Dragon's Blood resin as a sweet, sappy floral, for some reason. So in the bottle, Dragon's Milk, to my nose, is a sappy, sugary-sweet floral.

On me, the resin takes on an acidic note for the first hour or so, reminiscent of the inside of an overripe melon. So it's milky, sweet, and bittersweet floral.

Then the Dragon's Blood vanishes completely and all I'm left with is milky vanilla.

It lasts about 4 hours on me, and it's pleasant enough, but I'm not sure I want to smell toothache-inducingly sweet. It just doesn't mesh with my personality.

In bottle: Very, very sweet. I smell the dragon's blood, which seems more berry-like than usual, and the creamy vanilla, which seems slightly spiced.

On me: The dragon's blood is very dominant but it's still smelling much fruitier than usual. After an hour the vanilla starts to emerge and make the fragrance seem like candy. It reminds me of the Strawberries & Cream Lifesavers you can buy at supermarket check-out counters.

In the vial: Syrupy sweet and slightly spicy

Wet: Sweet, spicy and maybe a little fruity.

On drydown, still sweet and spicy, but now it is getting smokier and the vanilla is coming out. Wonderful! This is definitely going to be worn often this fall.

I bought a 10 ml of this unsniffed, and it took me three tries to start loving this--to think I almost swapped it! Shame on me!

This one stays very very sweet on me. At first I smell the cherry sweetness that every one is talking about but after it dries down I start to smell the vanilla and honey. My skin takes the dragon's blood and runs with it amplifying it 10x's. Luckily I like sweet smells and this one in small amounts is lovely.

i received this today in a swap from lizabet (thanks, honey!).

as i don't really like the smell of dragon's blood, i'm not digging this scent. i'm obsessed with dragons, so i had really high hopes for all the dragon's blood blends, but ah well. to me, straight dragon's blood basically smells like a strange, cheap air freshener. i'm not sure what it is about it. that being said, dragon's milk smells like straight dragon's blood, but it's very powdery. i'm glad to have tried it, though.

ETA: all right, my heart did a 180. i gave this another chance and OH MY HELL, I LOVE IT SO MUCH. i need more.

Edited by diabolique

I don't know if I put on too much or if dragon's blood is an issue for me, but this gave me a killer headache. I ended up having to wash it off cause my head was refusing to cooperate anymore. so in the swap pile it goes.

Sad because this seemed like a lovely, warm and sweet scent.

Dragon's Milk is, at this moment, my favorite scent :P

In the vial I can smell the frutiness of the Dragon's Blood with the vanilla - just enough sweetness yet not cloyingly so.

On, it blends together beautifully and there are tones of honey over the Dragon's Blood that warm the scent on my skin. A little bit of spiciness adds depth. Hours later this oil is just as delicious as when it was first applied and almost as strong. A big bottle is on order and I think this may become my signature scent :D

Mmmm...reminds me of Snake Oil, only more feminine and fae--so of course I love it! Baby dragons are mighty lucky if they get to drink this, that's all I'm sayin'. :P

This is my first Draconic scent--between Dragon's Milk, Bone, Heart, Eye, and Tears, about all we need is a Dragon's Tail for a full dragon!! :D But this is the one that appealed to me most, and it's exactly what I hoped: the dragon's blood and honey-vanilla in perfect balance; neither dominates. I really like both, although only for certain moods--this will not be my everyday oil, but when I want something sweet but not too foody, with a touch of the mystical, it's perfect. I'm also sensing some good layering experiments ahead... :schemes:

Dragon's milk is probably the sweetest BPAL oil I have tried that I still like. Sometimes. It has to be the right day for me to enjoy it, other days it's vaguely sickening. But on the right days, I really love it. The vanilla is incredibly strong and the scent lasts all day and night. I think I will really enjoy it as the weather becomes colder. I doubt I would ever get a 5ml of this, the imp will last me a long time. But I will probably get another imp of it once this one runs out.