Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dragon's Milk

Color me surprised that I haven't reviewed this yet. 

In the imp: Yep, dragon's blood and honeyed vanilla. While there is a honey tang to the vanilla note, it's not overwhelming as I know honey can be for some. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's dragon's blood and honey. I hope my skin doesn't eat the vanilla as it likes to do. As it dries, the honey dials way back, and the vanilla comes out a bit -- and then the dragon's blood takes over. The vanilla is rounding it out, keeping it softer than straight dragon's blood is on me, but the DB is the showcased note at this point. 

After that, it stays pretty true. This is a lightened, sweetened dragon's blood on me. Previous reviewers' comparisons to Snake Oil don't ring true for my skin chemistry. It's pretty and very wearable, but I don't quite like DB enough to wear this regularly. 

Both in the imp and on, I get mostly a honeyed vanilla cream, with just a hint of dragon's blood. After drydown, the dragon's blood gets more noticeable, but this stays primarily a honey-vanilla scent to my nose. Pleasant enough, and definitely wearable if you're looking for a lighter take on dragon's blood, but not something I necessarily need a full bottle of.

I love this one so much and hope it returns someday. It's mostly a golden, creamy, honeyed vanilla on me, but the dragon blood gives it a bit of an incense edge. It's a very gentle dragon's blood, not quite lilac and not quite cherry, but sweet and resinous. It doesn't go medicinal the way db sometimes can. It's a straightforward and pretty scent. I find the vanilla component similar to that the un-aged Snake Oil I got around the same time, though overall they end up being quite different. 

Edit: just realized I reviewed this twice . . . But I suppose it shows how scents and tastes can change with time! 

Edited by feyofthefellwood

This smells like White Rabbit milk candy that I used to get as a kid, creamy but light, sweet but not too sweet. This is the first non-LE scent I decided to buy a big bottle of and I'm not disappointed. Only downside is that it gives me a ferocious craving for creamy candies.

Confession--- I did NOT love this way back when when I ordered my first imps. It smelled sickly sweet to me, like a very specific air freshener used in the bathrooms of a specific restaurant. Yuck.

And then I let it age. And it smoothed out from cherry-bathroom-air-freshener to this vanillic resiny goodness, so sweet and creamy and wafty.  Honey and I can be a bit difficult of a relationship sometimes, it goes musty on the drydown in some blends but not in this one. I'm not entirely sure what dragon's blood comes from but it's divine. Big fan of the hair gloss too.

Current bottle is a cobalt from 2005 and it's exquisite. I hoard this stuff and hope the dragon's blood components are available again soon.

My first impression was “sweet resin dust”. And I thought to myself that maybe got a bad year , this isn’t as great as I was expecting given the price, rarity and hype. 

It smells primarily like red currant and sweet dust.  It’s nice but it may be a tad overhyped 

Honestly though, it’s still very nice. It’s hard to hate anything that the BPAL puts out because they’re just that well-blended, it’s clearly a good quality perfume. BPAL to me is kind of like the Indie version of Kilian  so even though this isn’t my favorite, it’s still immensely lovely and nice to wear, and I think I will definitely hold onto it. Very sweet resin it’s kind of intoxicating honestly, I like it more and more!

Lasted like 4 1/2 hours 

I just got a cobalt partial and am excited to compare the two