Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dragon's Milk

A truly fae nectar! Dragon’s blood resin and honeyed vanilla.

I did a double review of this with my husband, since most of the Ars Draconis scents seem very unisex.

In the imp:
Me: Sweet - dragon's blood resin drenched in milk, vanilla & honey.
Him: Sweet strawberries.

Wet on skin:
Me: Smoky vanilla-honey milk. Like someone spilled a pot of milk sweetened with honey & vanilla over firepit ashes & resin.
Him: Like cherry flavoured boiled lollies.

Dry on skin:
Me: Warm, slightly-smoked & resiny honey-vanilla milk. Weird, but lovely.
Him: Smells like a boiled lolly shop now, cherry is still dominant.

After a few hours:
Me: Unchanged & still quite strong! Yummy! (Him: It smells like some kind of liquer on her)
Him: Slightly faded. but still a lolly shop.
(Me: a slightly-stale smelling lolly shop, but yeah, definitely a lolly shop on him!)

Verdict:
Me: Yummy! I would definitely wear this! It's sweet & lovely - good for when I'm in a "foodie" mood, but don't want to wear anything too strong or overpowering. I find this scent very soothing, comforting & relaxing, like drinking a warm milk sweetened with honey & vanilla before bedtime (add some spices & it's my favourite pre-bed drink!).
Him: Nice smell, but I do not want to smell like a lolly shop, so I don't think I would ever wear this.

In the imp: sweet, sharp and resiny

On my skin: not bad when wet but quickly turns to artificial cherry :cry2: smells like red food dye #40 tastes.

I'm going to try aging this one.

This is MY FAVORITE BPAL EVER and I'm not even sorry for the all caps! :P

It's sweet, but not foodie, and slightly pungent and spicy from the dragon's blood, which is however so well "contained" and mellowed by the honey and sugary vanilla that it becomes this perfect spicy-sweet mix...

I can't recommend this enough, this is like Snake Oil but less sharp and more sultry. Superb.

Very feminine, it isn't my kind of parfume (I prefer Md Moriarty, Snake Charmer etc...darker ones), anyaway it a good alternative for who like but don't suffer Hypnotic Poison by Dior which has a throw and a weirdness for me that makes it unbearable.. very similar to this, but , as Dragon's milk is in oil form, it is more tolerable, it inspires a quiet, "clean" and inoffensive womanity...anyaway very nice, althought not my cup of tea..

In conclusion Dragon's Milk=a lighter and more wearable Hypnotic Poison. it's more centered on vanilla and almond respect to HP

Edited by Elmifra

In the imp: Resinous and sweet (VERY sweet), with, of all things, a spicy-floral edge.

Wet: WHOA NELLY. A too-sweet fruity-floral with an enormous throw that actually makes my head spin a little, and not in a good way either. Heavy and overpowering. Thankfully, this stage doesn't last forever - after a few minutes, it calms the hell down into something a little less abrasive. But man, that stuff is *powerful*.

Dry: Wow, is this one a morpher! I was on the verge of scrubbing this one off (first time I'd had that reaction in a while), but decided to tough it out, and I'm glad I did. While it starts out trying to convey the impression of getting beaten up by a kindergarten teacher, it later stops raging and actually turns quite sexy. There's still a chemical-fruity edge if I bury my nose in my wrist, but now it's predominantly a sexy-sweet smell with a spicy edge. Throw is still decent, but now it's at the point where I smile when I catch whiffs of myself throughout the day.

I'll age this one to see if I can bring forward the sexiness and dial back the OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE initial burst.

I'm really sad about Dragon's Milk. I loved it in the imp, but my skin amps something in it to straight baby powder/play doh.

I get no vanilla, no cherry, absolutely no spice at all. It's a soft, but quite heady, urinal cake.

It has lasted amazingly on my skin too, has serious staying-power. I've had it on for about 10 hours now, however it hasn't morphed into anything gorgeous.

Maybe I'll try it again at a different time of the month.

Edit - lesson learned: Don't review scents during Shark Week.

I get the Cherry Slushie now, (dominant) maybe a little spicy. I think if you like foodie scents but don't want to smell full-on bakery you should check this one out.

Edited by Beatrix

this is one of the longest lasting BPAL scents I've tried. it smells like a cherry-honey-vanilla-cream scented body powder that you'd apply with a big fancy poof. I find it's well balanced and not overly sweet. didn't notice a huge difference between fresh and aged. guess I just like it both ways.

the way it smells is consistent with the listed notes, so if you love all the notes like I do you should probably try this one. no funny business with morphing or hidden notes or anything.

I do recommend this one and I'm gonna get a full bottle soon :wub:

A BPAL treasure. When wet and in the bottle it does smell somewhat offensively cough syrup-y and overly sweet (and having once had an accident involving a spilled imp, I can say it is a very pungent smell), but it dries down to the most delicious smoky vanilla. This is not cloying or heavy the way honey often is on me (not a favorite of mine), nor is it an anemic white vanilla, or the spice of bourbon vanilla. I can't describe it but the dragon's blood resin must be lending the smoky aspect to it once the cough syrup part dies down. It's really beautiful. My bottle is ten years old and greatly beloved.

I tried on my aged imp, since so many said that it ages beautifully. It's so cloyingly sweet that my 11 year old will not hug me.

Of my latest batch of imps, I was most excited to try this one. Honey? Check. Vanilla? Check check. Apparently, my skin doesn't agree with dragon's blood, because this smelled like a brand of baby powder created by a head shop. Just awful. I'll try aging to see if it improves.

I never thought I'd like something with dragon's blood, even less fall head over heels for it. Dragon's Milk has joined the handful of scents I can't get enough of - yes, they're just a handful; I'm really picky, and this is just that good. (HOW?)

Wet, it's floral vanilla - the candyish quality of DB on my skin is wonderfully tempered by the vanilla and only appears as a soft, soft hint of something like cherry. But it's good. I can't stop huffing my wrists. I want more. I want to bathe in this.

Dry, the DB takes a backseat to the vanilla, and the scent turns almost Snake Oil-like the longer it's on.

The only thing I don't love about it is that it doesn't last very long on me - 2-3 hours and it's almost gone. I'm going to have to try the "almond oil beneath" thing. And get a bottle or two for slathering.

Verdict: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Wow can't believe I didn't review this one yet. I think I thought I already had. Well this definitely is one of my favorite GC scents. I've gone through a couple bottles already! Sadly I didn't get the HG but anyway...

This is a delicious scent. It's got an amazing vanilla note!! Very sweet and almost foodie BUT the dragon's blood keeps it spicy and sexy and adds more depth. I don't get much honey. Just a sexy spicy vanilla scent that I adore!! It also has great throw and lasts on the skin! Simple perfection! :wub2:

Edited by vanilla323

I got to try this at will call today.

In the bottle: Sweeeet almondy creamy honey.

Drying: It goes to a softer version of the almond cream honey. I keep sniffing it while I'm walking around trying other scents. After trying so many (so so many!) Dragon's Milk is one of two I kept going back to and sniffing. This makes me want to eat myself because it smells so damn good! Over time the scent just gets softer. I took home a bottle and now have a Dragon's Milk button!!! This scent is kind of my natural skin scent but sweetened and amped. :heart:

Edited by Malaena

Ok, so I love the smell of dragon's blood resin. I already tried dragon's hide from this line, and was not super pleased with it, however, since I love foody smells especially honey and vanilla- I had to give this a shot.

At first I wasn't impressed with it. I put some on, and it smelled way too powdery it made me a bit woozy. However, I think I put on TOO much... as it dried, it started to smell very musky, sweet, kind of like O with some dragons blood in it.

Today, I am wearing it, and I can't stop smelling myself.

It all depends on the mood, and what you eat, etc. Your body chem affects the smells, and I am sure that's what was going on the first time I tried it. I was too anxious.

Today I LOVE this smell and will be ordering a big bottle asap.

Bottomline- If you love O you will love this. If you love honey and vanilla you will love this. It's very sexy, steamy, seductive, but innocent sexy, not like spicy like Sin or Blood Kiss. It's very mellow, but it bites back a bit, not too much, it nibbles I'll say. Enjoy

In the imp: Sweet, soft dragon's blood

Wet: Floral. Hmm.

Dry: Dragon's blood and vanilla. It's unlike anything else I own, I love it.

In the imp: Sweet, juicy dragon's blood with honey.

Wet on my skin: Same as in the imp, but now vanilla joins the honey.

Dry: This is a lovely scent that does not morph at all once it's on my skin. Dragon's blood forward, then vanilla and honey, in that order. Thankfully, this is one of the BPAL honey notes that works on me. It's simple, soft, and very beautiful. This is actually one of the prettier vanilla blends I've found in the GC, and definitely my favourite dragon's blood scent thus far. A surprise hit from the frimps in my last order, and I'm glad to have received a second frimp of it since this may become a good sleep scent for me.

A frimp from the lab! Generally not a fan of dragon's blood or honey. Honey often goes bad and dragon's blood on me is a spicy floral that I'm generally not into.

In the imp: Cherry-esque and sweet. Honey detectable.

On wet: Surprisingly mostly the spicy-floral scent of dragon's blood resin. A little bit of honey and vanilla in the background.

Dry: Sweet, smooth vanilla and honey, and a touch of almond. Very pretty!

Overall: Surprised! A honey I can wear, and such a pretty blend.

Wet: Mmmmfg. Dragon's blood often smells like a spicy floral on me - it's doing that now, and with the addition of the honeyed vanilla, this is heady and sexy and gorgeous. Really strong too! A bit will do ya.

Dry: This is so well blended I can't tell where the Dragon's Blood ends and the honeyed vanilla begins. This is heady and rich and a bit sexy. A bit floral, a bit spicy, sensual and sweet. I like it a lot and may need a bottle. I have a feeling this ages really well too.

How is it possible that I never reviewed Dragon's Milk when I love it so much? I swore I had, but can't find a review, so I'll try a brief one again. I adore Beth's dragon's blood note and usually have great luck with it in any blend. Dragon's Milk is a gorgeous blend with the Dragon's blood and the honeyed vanilla. It is sweet and resinous at the same time, with almost a sticky sweetness from the Dragon's blood and a heavy vanilla and honey on my skin. A little goes a long way and it lasts forever on me. I adore this scent so much.

I was fortunate enough to get the hair gloss too, and I wish this scent made the Trading Post catalog as a GC for hair gloss and bath oil.

In the imp: sweet, syrupy resinous smell.

Wet: Whoa, this one is potent. It's very sweet, spicy and a bit incensey (although nowhere as smokey incensey as Snake Oil, which is a smoke fest on me). I get a lot of honey and a resinous incense smell with a floral edge which I suppose is dragon's blood. The combination with honey makes me think of honeysuckle. It's a bit too strong though and makes me feel slightly ill.

Dry: this tones down a bit and becomes wearable - enjoyable even. Sweet honey and florally dragon's blood. Vanilla becomes more proeminent with wear, but I get none of the cherry/almond scent some people have previously reported.

Throw: very strong at first, but becomes a bit softer after 15-30 minutes.

Once it's settled down I actually like this. It is somewhat similar to O, but more resinous and incensey. I may need a bottle of one of these, but further testing will be required to choose... :)

Received this as a frimp in my last order. Holy moley, this totally evokes the idea of dragon's milk even though I never thought of the concept before smelling this. It's rich, thick, warm, spicey and delicious. I imagine the fat content is off the charts.

Oooh, I do adore this blend so very much. Though do be warned- it is *so* much better after being very well aged. I was frimped a tiny partial decant a long while back with the old flying witch label, so it was obviously very old. It was sweet and syrupy and almost spicy- so rich and decadent! I promptly went and got myself a fresh bottle, and was completely disappointed. Fresh, dragon's blood tends to be sharp smelling and almost medicinal- somewhat harsh. I tucked it away, and after a year or so of aging the bottle, it was not nearly as sharp, but was not the bliss that I had remembered from my tiny frimp.

Fast forward to a few weeks back when I scored my self a bottle of eight year aged Dragon's Milk, and it is so close to what I experienced with the imp. So mouthwateringly delicious and super duper potent!

To my nose, this is a sticky sweet/almost fruity resinous blend with a touch of spice to it, but unlike any other spice imaginable. Dragon's blood is really a unique note, and mixed with the honeyed vanilla, it is an incredibly stand alone blend, and totally in my top favorites (once aged, at least).....

The lab's dragon's blood mix smells to me like hints of actual dragon's blood resin in a warm, sweet, cherry-toned floral. This is the dragon's blood with a creamy, frothy honey-vanilla. Unlike in Dragon's Hide, the non-dragon's blood smells are strong, and dominate the blend. This is a frothy honey vanilla, with dragon's blood on the side.

This is a comforting scent that, after a while, smells too sweet for my preference.

It's been a while since a scent made me sick. There are a lot of notes I dislike smelling, or don't like on me, but I almost never get a negative physical reaction. I love vanilla on its own, I can deal with honey even if I'm not that into it, and while I'm not fond of overall effect of dragon's blood (particularly when gone floral) save a few exceptions, I don't have an instant negative reaction to the note on its own. But combined, they are a nightmare. I'm not fond of certain kinds of "sweet", but most of the time it's preference. Milk is the exactly wrong kind of cloying. It's kind of almond-y, and I know I was fine with this note before (sometimes presented as bitter cherry, but it's pretty much the same thing), but I can't deal with it here. It's too potent and there is something there that's giving me a headache - probably the floral component.

The drydown is standard lovely vanilla, but I couldn't handle sniffing out more subtle nuances before it, I'm afraid. Overall long-lasting and intense if close to skin.

A truly fae nectar! Dragon’s blood resin and honeyed vanilla.

My impression of the Dragon's Milk scent is a little different from most of the posters.

In the bottle I can clearly smell the 'dragon's blood resin;' which to me reads like whisky, minus the smell of alcohol, and a hint of black licorice. It's a sharp smell, but also a warm one. Alone, these flavors would be unpleasant to me, but on the skin there is a sweetness that mingles beautifully with the more harsh scents.

After about 15-30 minutes the undefinable sweetness becomes more prominent, and to me, smells like sweet milk. The creaminess of the smell cuts even more into the dragon's blood resin, and turns it into an accent, rather than the main note.

It's not an overly sweet scent, and due to the dragon's blood resin, I find it to be more unisex than feminine. Fortunately, that's my preference, so I was very happy with it. It's a very complex scent over all, and I was really intrigued by it.

After about 5-6 hours I was finally able to detect the vanilla and honey scents that were described, with the resin almost completely absent.