Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dragon's Milk

A truly fae nectar! Dragon's blood resin and honeyed vanilla.

Rating (on skin): 4/5
Summarised in a word or two: Bloody vanilla?

In the imp: Dragon's Blood and honey. Not a trace of the vanilla, which disappointed me. I wasn't terribly hopeful about this turning out well, since honey and I don't usually agree.

On skin, wet: The Dragon's Blood stays quite strong, but the honey starts to fade (Thank goodness!), and out comes the vanilla! I'm already enamoured of how Dragon's Blood and vanilla mingle on my skin. There's something else there, under the vanilla, something vaguely.... cherry? Hmm.

On skin, dry: It doesn't change much when dry, except that the honey makes a very vague re-apperance, and the strange cherry smell disappears. It definitely strikes me as a warm, spicy honeyed vanilla, and I couldn't be more pleased.

Conclusion: What needs a conlusion? Dragon's Milk = Love! Edited by Aredhel

In the bottle: Cinnamon, vanilla and honey

First on: Ow, this burned like a mofo, so I didn't get a chance to let it develop. I had to wash it off. Sad too because it smelled delish.

Funny, but I don't see heliotrope on the list of notes, and yet to me this smells like straight heliotrope--which I LOVE, by the way, if it's done well. Which this is.

Vanilla-sweet, but with a bit of moth balls thrown in for spice. (Poor moth!) That's what heliotrope smells like on me and for some odd reason I love it.

So far I'm batting a hundred with my BPAL orders!!

(Oh dear, is that the expression? Why do I use baseball expressions when I don't even like baseball??)

I have been so scared to try scents with Dragon's Blood in it. I guess the name put me off. But I had some great people tell me otherwise. So finally I get an imp of this and I am so glad I did. Yummy and creamy. I was expecting something harsh. But i was pleasantly surprised with this scent. I may have to buy a big bottle one of these days.

ADDED June 2:

I have been afraid to try Dragon's Blood. The name doesnt sound pretty. But I had to see what all the fuss was about.

Tried this today and really enjoyed the experience. I mostly smell the sweet vanilla which I loved. There was a twist which I assume is the blood. There was nothing to be scared about. This didnt bite me at all. It is sexy and yummy at the same time. I think with more time....this will grow on me even more. I love the lingering scent it leaves behind after hour 14. This scent lasts forever.

Another case of where the lab knows best. This was never on my list of things to order, but I kept getting lovely freebie imps of Dragon's Milk with my orders (thanks, generous Lab Rats!) and of course, it just wore me down.

Well, that and the fact that I consistently get more compliments on Dragon's Milk than almost any other BPAL I wear. :P What can I say, the mens love it.

I wore it out to a bar last weekend and my boyfriend's (engaged) best friend from college kept commenting on how spicy and creamy I smelled. He even joked that he was going to steal my scarf in order to take the scent home with him. When I can invoke a nearly chivalric response with a blend, I got to give props where they are due: Dragon's Milk clearly has some kind of hypnotic power and I am all kinds of for it. :D

Out of the bottle it smells fantastic; I want to drink it! But like other milky scents it fades to powder very quickly, and my skin eats what is left.

Very disappointing.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 being the best) 2.

Dragon’s Milk

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): Just like the description says, dragon’s blood and vanilla. I do hope the dragon’s blood tempers the vanilla enough so that it doesn’t overwhelm me.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): The dragon’s blood begins to come forward, with the vanilla providing a thick sweetness underneath. This is a very beautiful blend.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): As with all dragon’s blood scents, that is what this has turned into – dragon’s blood. I’m certain the vanilla is still there, providing for a dragon’s blood that is a bit thicker … but it is still just dragon’s blood.

This is interesting. After an hour or so, the vanilla begins to warm up again and I can definitely detect the thick sweetness it adds to the dragon’s blood. Wow – the first dragon’s blood scent that doesn’t go purely dragon’s blood. The dragon’s blood provides its familiar bright sweetness while it tempers the vanilla, preventing it from becoming overly sweet. I’m liking it a lot - definitely keeping the imp.

I've read many of the reviews which have helped me a lot in selecting oils - thank you to everyone who posts their thoughts! this is the first time I'll be posting one of mine....

At the start I get that cherry/spicy sweetness that is dragon's blood - not too keen so far. After an hour it's morphed through various stages:

* plastic play-dough effect + vanilla + bitter almonds thing going on - sort of like ice-cream flavoured chewy sweets

* smoky vanilla sweetness

* slightly plastic slightly cherry vanilla

* smoking almonds n vanilla

to a vanilla which is alternately smooth and slightly almondy.

It may well morph again, and will undoubtedly get sweeter and more vanilla throughout the day. However, given that I still have to wait over an hour for the vanilla dry-down I love, and I really don't like dragon's blood much, I think this loses out to Tombstone for the vanilla prize.

6 hours after applying : I can still smell sweet vanilla goodness if I sniff my wrist. but it doesn't have the depth or last as long as Tombstone. Tombstone wins...

Edited by Galen

I want to like this; I also want to drink it. It smells like a yummy cherry vanilla icee (snowcone? something)...or like those Bonne Bell lip glosses in cherry. But that is not to say it's got a plasticky odor to it. I like it enough; but I'm not too keen on wearing it all day.

In Bottle: Honey vanilla!!

On Skin: Oh my… I am in LOVE with this scent. I am a sucker for pretty much anything with honey or vanilla in it, but combined with the dragon’s blood resin… oh!!! The perfect sweet mixture! But… yes there’s a but…

I am worried about the Playdough scent… I know some people have complained of that, and I can faintly smell it, but I’m hoping it’ll stay sweet instead. After an hour playdough is still there… Finally I ask my husband. He says it smells like an urinal cake (minus the urine). So there is no way I can wear this, even if I like it… because of embarassment. YIKES!

I love this. Ordered a 5 mL already.

Cherry, tangy bite at first. Settles down into a warm, cherry-soft vanilla.

I never saw myself as a 'sweet' sorta person, but this seems so me.

The temptation of the listed notes lured me into trying this, despite my normal dislike for Dragon's Blood.

In the bottle: Strong dragon's blood, very dark color -- I almost didn't test it, but there was a sweetness under the dragon's blood that prodded me to test it out, so I did. Boy, am I glad that I did ...

Wet: The dragon's blood did what dragon's blood always does on me -- stood up and shouted at the top of its resiny lungs that it was there and was going to choke me with its intensity and then ...

Drydown: Vanilla and honey came up, grabbed the dragon's blood and sat on it. They all squished together into a little gooey ball on my wrist (don't you love the imagery!) and I started to develop wrist-to-nose disease.

When drydown was complete and for the entire time I had this oil on afterward, I had a serious case of wrist-to-nose disease. Compounded by a desire to chew on my own wrist. The resin gives the honey and vanilla a beautifully spicy edge and the honey and vanilla make the resin sit down, shut up and behave itself.

Despite my intial reactions, before I got this and sniffing the bottle, I'm completely in love with this. This is totally on my 'big bottle' list and I plan to experiment with layering this with other scents to see what happens. It's just absolutely delicious. I don't know if I want to eat it, wear it or just roll in it -- or put it on everyone I know, but I definitely approve.

Unfortunately, I'm in the small percentage that gets a port-o-potty sanitizer smell out of this. It smelled so thick and sweet in the vial, but once I put it on my skin, it went rancid and chemically. I really hope it's the dragon's blood and not the honey, because I have other scents with honey in them on the way.

Strangely, when I had my mom smell my wrist, she thought it smelled really good and could pick out the vanilla. I guess my nose is deranged. I had to wash this off and put on some Kali to feel better (I was having pretty good luck with all my other imps so this depressed me).

Dragon’s Milk

in the bottle: Oooo! Sweet yum! I can’t ID anything but has potential

wet: sweet happiness. Not overly sugared, but quite nice. Almost a fruit, but I cannot say which one. A bit reminds me of Bon Vivant, so perhaps it’s strawberries?

drying/5 minutes: Ayup. My nose tells me strawberry (vanilla?) sweetness combined with bpal’s Blood. Not bad but definitely up there in the sweet category (which on an empty stomach is a bit much for me)

dry/25 minutes: The sweetness has toned down a tad but is still very much there. This is a not-as-sweet Bon Vivant for me, with a softer melody.

Am I the only person who gets heliotrope?

A really nice, sweet, honeyed, almondine, vanilla heliotrope scent. Good staying power, quite feminine without being overpoweringly sweet. Very little floral.

Very easy to wear and charming.

Dragon's Milk is the first blend that contains dragon's blood resin that I have been able to wear....

All the other blends with dragon's blood just went ew :P on me instantly.....so if you are like me and haven't wanted to try dragon's blood because of the sickly sweetness.....try this one! :D

The rich addition of vanilla makes this scent work well on me. I still can pick out that cherry-ness around the edges but over time it evolves, softens and warms to a cozy, yummy, more languid scent that is something I would want to wear everyday......I also think it would make a killer body lotion....creamy softness all over. yum! :D

I tried Dragon's Milk because so many people love Dragon's Blood, but it hasn't worked for me in other blends. I thought maybe this would, with the vanilla.

And it does, to a certain extent.

I get a very thick, sweet, heavy lilac/cherry combination (closest thing I can think to call it) which is definitly the dragon's blood, and which turns my stomach a bit. But the vanilla softens it, adds richness and warmth and cuts the sweetness a little bit.

Unfortunately not enough. I kind of like it, and kind of don't. I think I will have to try a DBR blend with non-sweet components, since the DBR is sweet enough already. I swapped this.

So far I'm batting a hundred with my BPAL orders!!

(Oh dear, is that the expression? Why do I use baseball expressions when I don't even like baseball??)

The baseball writer in me must step to the plate (hee!) to say that actually, the term would be "batting a thousand" ... or "batting 1.000" .. to be batting a hundred would mean you were only 1-for-10. NOT as good. :P

/end hijack and onto Dragon's Milk ...

I didn't get Playdoh on this one (though to me Snow White was pure Playdoh and Spooky had it as well) ... but I got a lot of Snake Oil vibe on this ... a little TOO vanilla-candy-sweet for me though the Dragon's Blood cuts that a bit. I also got a slightly plastic vibe ... I don't think this one will play as nicely with me over time as the others ...

REVISITED AND RE-REVIEWED Sept. 17, 2013:

Received an imp of this as a frimp from the Lab with my eBay purchase of my preshuss Enyalios. I knew I must have tried it at some point since I loves me my Ars Draconis but took my notes before checking my original review.

They share MUCH in common with my first read except, apparently, a new post-menopausal body chemistry!

IN THE IMP: Oddly, I get neither full-on dragons blood NOR full-on honeyed vanilla but more of a spicy Snake Oil.

Dabbed on one wrist and in the crook of one arm (double-test driving with a swappie extra of Secret Lovers & Sleeping Husband on the other arm)

WET: Yes yes yes yes yes. Sweet and sultry and sexxxxxxy. I absolutely still see this as being in the Snake Oil family but while Snake Oil tends to be just TOO sweet for me, the dragons blood brings on the spice and shakes things up with a perfect compromise.

DRYDOWN: Happily, one of the good effects of menopause, is that this does not go plastic on me at all. It remains true to the marvelous marriage of sweet and spicy and the floraly goodness of DB. I <3 this very much.

OVERALL: SO glad to have gotten this again because it's a real keeper.

On a scale of 1-5, a 4.7

Edited by JazzieCazzie

Oooooo...this is goooood!!! I think I am in love here!!!

In the bottle: almost cherry scented, assuming that is the dragon's blood, but a creamy, sweet, honey scent in the background. Definately a little spice somewhere, almost candyish as well.

wet on the skin: almost all honey and vanilla...very creamy and delicious!!!

drydown: the dragon's blood comes out more, subtle but I know it is there. The creamyness subsides a little but still mingles a little with the dragon. It just seems to complement it so well in the background.

after about 10 minutes the scents have balanced out on me so I can smell each equally and I cannot stop sniffing my wrist. It smells absolutely divine and makes me feel very warm and comforted. I feel like I am in a happy place.

Lasted a few hours on me too!!!!

I think this will definately be a keeper and I will definately be ordering more in the future!!!

I adore dragon's blood on it's own, so I was a bit wary of trying blends. So glad I changed my mind.

Honey scents work very well on me (with the exception of Kali) and this one is delish. I love a scent with a bite, but this mellows to a lovely warm nibble.

Spicy, sweet and creamy, without being cloying. Relaxed yet ready for anything. :P

I was so eagerly looking forward to this one.

In the vial, it smelled fantastic.

On me, however... no. It went into some sort of sickly fruityness in about three seconds. Then, all I got was lilac spraycan air freshener. I had to go wash my wrist.

Everybody else seems to love it, but it really, really hates me. Or maybe my skin or nose isn't working. Either way, my heart is broken. :P

Gift imp from super sweet forumite!!

In the imp and 1st applied~YUM...spicy, creamy vanilla with dragon's blood swirling all around. Reminds me of a subtler version of O, which I LOVE!

Other than fading just a touch and turning a bit powdery(but not that icky sweet, old lady powdery), pretty much stayed true to what it is in the imp :D

Definitely has a creamy, "milk" feel to it.

Not sure yet if I'll get a big bottle but will for sure use up the yumminess in my imp!!

ETA: Hours later...Sadly, and shockingly, this has ended up turning into a generic, soapy/powdery scent and is actually threatening to bring on a headache and sneezng :D What the??? Dragon's Blood & Vanilla?? On ME?? Unheard of!!

Paint me ::STUNNED::

Oh well, at least my Blood Kiss & Blood Rose(which I love all on their own), layer beautifully!! :P

Edited by Eros

I love this scent. :P

The combination is great.

This fades to a pleasent vanilla scent on me. My skin usally obsorbs the topscents and leaves a kind of baby powder smell, this doesn't do that :D

In the bottle, all I could smell was the distinctive Dragon's Blood scent. On the skin, the honeyed vanilla comes through, and drys down to a sort of otherworldly creaminess.

Mmmmm. It has good lasting power on me as well, and I spend a lot of time sniffing my wrist while wearing it.

This was from a bottle I bought from the forums, so I don't know how aged it is. I've also ordered a bottle direct from the lab, so will report here if I notice any difference.