Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dragon's Milk

A truly fae nectar! Dragon's blood resin and honeyed vanilla.

Super lovely. This one had to have some time on my skin though, because when I first put it on, I got whiffs of plastic. Plastic died down, thank goodness! and what was left was a spicy, honeyed vanilla bean. I just reapplied a little, and more of that spicy vanilla is charging at me. It does have a creamy texture as well, I think.

This is really an interesting combination of scents, and it works wonderfully. It would be perfect for someone who likes rich vanilla or honey scents. :P

oh i just adore this scent. it has that light vanilla to it and then this deep rich..i dont even know. it makes me think of victorian wine laced with honeyed vanilla and it's very inspiring. i think this is my favorite i have smelled of yet, although i only smelled 4 so far :P

In the bottle: Very red liquid and spicey in the bottle. Not spicey like spcies but spicey like...cloves and cinnamon. A very red kind of scent all together.

Wet: A somewhat kick of the red scent with, yes, just the smallest drop of cherries (the way eldritch told me that she smells dragon's blood resin). Yesterday when I tried this the vanilla bloomed out nicely. Today the spicey dragon's blood is ruling while the sweet vanilla trickles out in the throw. Of course yesterday I applied to a spot and today my wrist is glistening so it probably just need a little more time to dry. :P And wow, this makes my skin warm, too.

Dry down: A little more of the vanilla scent now but that clove/cinnamon/cherry thing is still there. In fact, the cherry is stronger which is ew as I don't like cherry at all. I'm beginning to change my mind regarding my (almost) decision to purchase a bottle of this. This is one of those scents that makes my nose tingle. (Then again I have to take into account that it's weird skin chemistry time of the month. Mrrr.) I'm looking for a nice, warm, slightly spiced vanilla. Like vanilla chai. Yes, that's what I want. A vanilla chai like scent. Today this is just too strong with the dragon's blood resin. It doesn't smell bad. It's just strong, and it makes my nose tingle.

Dry: There beneath everything else is the faintest breath of the honeyed vanilla I long for. This still smells too strong up close on my skin, but the throw is lovely even though my nose is tingling. I'll put off on ordering this so that I can give it a few more test runs and see whether I like it or whether I need to stalk a new vanilla scent.

First sniff out of the bottle- MMmmm! Smells like my Hello Kitty and My Melody stuff! That tale-tale 'Sanrio' toy smell!

After 10 minutes- This is unlike anything I have ever smelled before. I am smelling the Dragons Blood...and vanilla but there is something else there....I guess that is the honey I am smelling. ::sniff sniff:: Yep, it's honey.

After 30 minutes- This still keeps making me flashback to childhood. It smells of Hello Kitty (the scented stuff) and new Barbie Dolls at Christmas. I think the Dragons Blood has an ever so slight hollyberry smell to it that is making me think of Christmas. For me this is a comforting happy scent.

Summery- Dragons Milk is amazing. Hello Kitty toy smell in a jar. I must get a big bottle of this immediately!

Dragon's Milk

In the bottle: Mmmm, smells juicy. A hint of sweet cherries and a touch of vanilla. It's lovely. :P

On me/wet: The juicyness comes out - I smell cherries, vanilla, and just the barest hint of honey. And then it turns to Play-doh. Not as strong as the Play-doh schent of O, which was residing on my other wrist at the time, but still noticeable.

Eventually: The play-doh note fades somewhat, leaving me to try and enjoy the combo of Dragon's Blood and vanilla. Somehow, I can't make it happen. I wanted to love this, as vanilla and Dragon's Blood are two things I truly love, but this is not a winner for me.

As with O, I'm assuming the honey note is the culprit here. :D Looks like both of these are heading for my swap pile...

I love dragon's milk.

there's this soft innocence about it, tempered by an in your face dreamy cherry zing. when I read reviews mentioning cherry, I was really afraid I wouldn't like it; I always imagine that generic cherry scent/flavor used for all things medicinal. but it's not that way at all. it's sweet (I'm a sucker for sweet scents) but not cloying; it's alluring and comforting, bold and quiet all at once. my first 10ml purchase may indeed be a bottle of dragon's milk.

:P :D :D

edited to add:

I've realized I can only wear dragon's milk when I'm on the rag. the rest of the month, I get an unpleasant, sharp spice, in lieu of the beloved sweetness. must be the dragon's blood. somehow that seems appropriate..

Edited by enantiomorph

Origin:

I was gifted with an imp of this by Kells. :D

First sniff:

Oh wow, I can see why so many people love Dragon's Milk. It's gorgeous! It's sweet and honey-like but with a very distinct dragon's blood note. In some ways it's a second cousin to Block Buster (they're both spicy honey scents) but this is definitely unique at the same time. I don't normally wear sweet scents, but this is gorgeous. I may have found a new favorite BPAL Dragon scent. :D

Wet on skin:

Very strong on the vanilla when it's wet. The vanilla actually overpowers everything else to the point that it's almost all I can smell. That's not a bad thing, really, but I would prefer more dragon's blood to go along with it.

Dry down:

I don't know what happened, but Dragon's Milk smells like...well, like milk with a hint of dragon's blood now. Honestly, I don't think I want to smell like milk. :P

Aha! Just when I was about to give up and wash this off Dragon's Milk rallied and turned back into the sweet vanilla, honey and dragon's blood scent I originally smelled in the imp. After that point, the dragon's blood steadily strengthens over the next half an hour or so, coming out beautifully. :D

The bottom line:

Dragon's Milk goes through some rowing pains on me, but the final result is gorgeous. :D

This has become my new daily scent for work.

The tang of the Dragon's blood resin is really smoothed out and sweetened out by the vanilla/honey combo making it into this into (for me) a slightly complex, strong but completely feminine scent.

As the day goes by and I warm up it gets sweeter and deeper on me. I'm contemplating buying a bigger bottle already.

boy, do i feel gyped! it says dragon's milk on the BPAL label, but it is a VERY floral-florally floral. there isn't a drop of anything anyone has mentioned in the vial i recieved. no cherry(or fruit) no vanilla, and definitely no spicey/resin/incensey/smokey AT ALL. i am really bummed. i musy have gotten one of those *fuck-ups* there is NO WAY this is DB from the reviews. :P

Edited by warmfuzzies

Smells VERY close to Snake Oil. If someone had an oil on and told me it was Dragon's Milk or Snake Oil and I had to guess, I would most likely guess wrong.

It does have a more spicy bite in the beginning. My boyfriend said it smelled like nag champa to him.

Snake Oil lasts longer on me than this one, so I would pick that as a honey vanilla type oil if I wanted one for a change. I usually don't like honey vanilla.

Before this arrived, I couldn't get it out of my head that this would be milky in color, but when it did, it was a clear red, not a bit milky. I was in a hurry and slathered it on. At first, I was worried I made a mistake. I got a big, bright, red cherry note. Not unpleasant, just loud. In the car, the cherry faded, and oh my goodness! Honey and milk and almonds and vanilla. So gorgeous! On my second wearing, though, I think it gave me a bit of a headache (Dragon's Heart tends to do the same). But I'll give it another try, 'cause when it's good, it's fantastic, and I could have just been having an off day.

TMI ~ May have just ovulated -- will have to see how this effects strong dragon's blood scents for me in the future.

Note ~ I ordered this one based on other people's raves.

Vial ~ Cherry creamsicle.

Wet ~ Cherry with something solid and dusty behind it. It's not a sickening berry scent, even though cherry isn't one of my favorites. Oh, wait ... oh, no. Um, oh -- it smells like Honey Bucket sanitizer on me. Oh, gross.

Drying ~ It developed into a stronger cherry, but kept the unfortunate port-a-potty edge for a while. Depending on which wrist I sniff, it's either still there or has drifted to a lighter, powdery cherry -- like a little girl's dusting powder.

Drydown ~ Nope, the detergent is back on both wrists now. It's cherry-scented outdoor toilet cleaner. It's faint, but it's there.

Dry ~ Okay, I see what's going on here. The little girl cherry dusting powder and the Honey Bucket cleanser scents are going to keep battling it out for dominance. Right now, the cherry powder is winning.

Fade ~ Huh, now it's just some unpleasant blending of the two.

Final Thoughts ~ I think I'm giving up on the Ars Draconis line. Having dragon's blood be the primary note in an oil doesn't seem to do it for me.

This is the 1st Dragon's Blood scent that I've tried. I like it but it smells like a simpler version of Hunger (which I adore) or Snake Oil (also love). I will allow it to age and give it another try as scents of this nature tend to smell differently on me as time passes. I don't get cherry at all....mostly an incensey vanilla and a faint backdrop of floral. Pretty, just not different enough from other scents for me to squee just yet.... :P

Initial Imp Sniff - Very sweet, and thick - yet still kind of light feeling - scent...can't really pick out any notes (I sort of suck a little unless they beat me in the face).

Swipe - I reckon that's the dragon's blood bursting out now. It's not bad, it's kind of pleasant, but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. It's got a warm tinge to the blood, must be the other notes.

Drydown - It's very sweet and perfumey now. Too perfumey for me I thinks. Also, I think I can pick out the honey now....honey isn't really my thing. I love honey in my tea, but I don't know how I feel about wearing it.

Overall - Lovely scent, truly. Could be masculine or feminine I suppose, but in the end it's too perfumey (slightly shaded with powder) for me (could be the dragon's blood) and honey just isn't a good note on my skin.

I love dragon's blood, I love vanilla. This is a keeper!

Dragon's Milk is very red in the imp. On, it smells exactly like it should: dragon's blood and vanilla. To me, dragon's blood always smells like cherries, roses, and spices--but resiny and thick. Yummy! This starts very sweet (cherry and vanilla) then as it dries, more of the spiciness comes out. Now it smells like a spicy, slightly fruity, slightly floral, vanilla. :D

Onto the big-bottle list it goes. :P

ETA: Oh, and it just gets better and better on drydown--slightly incensey and delicious. It lasts all day, too. :D

I haven't tried Dragon's Blood before so have nothing to compare this with. However, here goes...

Wet on the skin this smells very floral. The poster above who assumed their's was a fuck up might not be right, maybe their skin just hypes up the floral, I don't know. Anyway - wet and immediately after drydown I like this but am not crazy for it.

Now it has had over 1/2 hour to mellow I really love it! Now I get honey and cherry (almond) and a touch of spice. It is like a spicier Dana O'Shee to me. A more grown up version of it maybe. It is actually a pretty scent. I usually only say that about overtly floral scents, and although this does still retain a teeny tiny touch of the floral I originally smelled in it, I wouldn't describe it as a floral scent at all. It is creamy and smells mellow. I like it very much. Another 5ml unsniffed purchase gone well :P

When I sniffed this in the bottle, I was so disappointed. I kept reading about the cherry-redness of Dragon's blood but all I smelled was rosey-floral. I remembered how different scents can become once they are on skin so I cheered up a little.

Wet, I get a rosey-vanilla. Not exactly rose, a more tropical smelling floral. Heady! And the vanilla does do great things for it.

As it dries the dragon's blood becomes less prominent and just kind of "backs up" the vanilla in a spicy-but-not-spice sort of way. It fades to an interesting powdery vanilla with a little kick. Which is lovely, but I don't think I will wait out the rose-y floral to get there when I have so many great spiced vanilla options to choose from.

In the bottle: Slightly fruity, slightly floral, vanilla smell.

Wet : CHERRY! Wow, at first it smelled purely like a Dimetapp Cold Medicine inspired perfume line. (I'm not totally adverse to Dimetapp--it was the only kind of medicine I would take without my mother having to chase me through the house first).

Drying Down: Bright fruity (still cherry) , with the vanilla starting to peek out a bit.

An hour or so later: The vanilla and the honey have come out to beat back the cherry. It's balancing out nicely, and I'm getting something smokey, spicey and slightly powdery coming out.

Overall: I like this. It lasts quite a while, and is a very comforting scent. I really cannot stop sniffing my wrist. I imagine that I'll be forcing everyone I know to do the same (well, sniff my wrist, not theirs). :P

ETA: I was thinking about what kind of scents to get for a room scent earlier. I don't like the ones that I have, and my roommate is big into those PartyLite candle smells. I kept getting a whiff of something sweet and vanilla-y and thought "wow, that smells really good." I was going to ask her what scent that was....a few minutes later, I realized that was me and my Dragon's Milk. :D (I'd rather have it on me than in an oil burner, though!)

Edited by mandalyn

I love Dragon's Milk! Dragon's blood resin tends to turn flowery on me, so I wasn't sure how this would work out. But with DM, the milk and honey scents brought out the spiciness of the resin, and smoothed everything to a silky finish. I'm not sure if it will make it to the big bottle list, but it's definitely a keeper imp.

Dragon's blood is one of those notes I can never quite pin down in a blend. It picks up on the other scents and either adds a floral, resin, incense or leather feel. Or maybe it's one of those things I can't actually smell and I'm only smelling the other notes in the blend. Anyway, Dragon's Milk is the star of the scents containing this to me. It's all vanilla tobacco - sweet, warm, smoky and comforting all at once. I absolutely love it and think it's going on a big bottle list.

Dragon's Milk:

Wet, this goes on very similar to all the other Ars Draconis scents I've tried - heavily Dragon's Blood, not much else. During drydown, the honeyed vanilla starts to come out and it intermingles with the Dragon's Blood, almost creating a cherry scent. It maintained on my wrists for several hours, then faded slowly.

Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous. I don't know if this will be a big bottle scent yet, but it's possible.

In the bottle: Cherries. Cherries? Goddess, but my nose is weird. (I read through the other reviews after I wrote this, and noted that cherry is a common note among others, so perhaps not so strange.) Not candy cherries, BTW, but the sort that you pick off the trees in an orchard that are warmed by the sun (I remember doing this as a child, so it's a strong sense memory).

On my skin, wet: The cream comes out now, with the cherries backing off a bit.

On my skin, drying: Brandied cherries in cream, perhaps with a little bit of baked brown sugar. Hmmmmm!

I wore it to sleep in, and now I catch just a whiff of cream from my wrist. Not vanilla-y, per se, just creamy.

My roommate's vote was: creamy and spicy. *g*

I tried an imp of Sudha Segara, which was lovely but faded way too fast. This is more like what I wanted.

I had a feeling this would be one I'd like, since vanilla and my skin have a long-standing love affair. (The Body Shop's 'original' vanilla was my signature scent for many years, until they discontinued it in favour of a nasty, fakey vanilla). My only apprehension was I wasn't sure what to expect of dragon's blood.

In the imp: Creamy vanilla, with a slightly spicy undertone. Is that the dragon's blood? And love the colour!

Initial application: I'd forgotten this blend had honey - until it touched my skin! Warm honey with a tinge of creamy cherries.

After an hour: The cherry-ness gradually died down, leaving the honeyed vanilla to take the spotlight... although on me, I'd say this is more "vanilla'd honey", if that makes sense. Honey with a bit of vanilla, instead of the other way around.

After about six hours: Over time, a bit of light, friendly spicy-ness has come out, presumably the dragon's blood, just giving a little depth to the vanilla honey. It's not as strong as I would've expected, given its heady beginning - more like "skin, improved".

I really like this one, and it's making me curious about trying other Ars Draconis blends, and other blends with a honey note. I just wish it were a little stronger. Mind you, I'm also slightly chilly today, so that may contribute. A probable big bottle, eventually, unless I find another vanilla blend I like even better.

To me this smells very like Dana O'Shee and on me it's all honey and vanilla, there is something in the background which I presume is the dragon blood resin, but it doesn't make an impression.