Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dragon's Milk

A truly fae nectar! Dragon’s blood resin and honeyed vanilla.

I think it is the honey in this scent that mixes with the vanilla to create this spicey, cherry candy flavor. It is definitely smooth, but I think it kind of ruins the dragon's blood smell that I like.

wet this smells just like bubblegum to me. big, pink, sticky bubbles. That's still the major smell I'm getting off this, but with something interesting lurking underneath. I've never tried a Dragon's Blood scent before this, so I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for with that note!

Dragon's Milk

I'm still getting used to dragon's blood...

Right away, this is sweet and cherry-like, but with some spice. It smells a bit medicinal at first (I suspect it's the cherry aspect). There's a soft smoothness with the vanilla and honey that reminds me of almonds/marzipan. I do smell a bit of smoke as it dries.

I am still not really sure what I think of it. It reminds me of some sort of candy. I'm not crazy about it, but it does seem like it has the potential to be an acquired taste for me.

EDIT: It certainly lasts! I put it on yesterday evening and I can still smell traces this morning.

Edited by sunlitgarden

In bottle: Vanilla and sweet Dragon’s blood.

Wet: Dragon’s blood suspended in a combination of honey and vanilla.

Dry: Same as Wet.

Notes: This is an interesting blend. The Dragon’s blood gives this an interesting twist and I can definitely see its appeal, though I'm not certain it's for me.

I liked this from first sniff. It smells delicious...my favorite vanilla scent ever. It smells warm, spicy and sweet but not cloying and the scent lasted all day. It drys down to a soft vanilla which was very cozy feeling. I want a big bottle of this.

My only prior experience with dragon's blood botes is in incense, so it was a surprise to find the Lab's Dragon Blood is more floral & less spicy/smoky.

However, even though I'm a floral-phobe, Dragon's Milk isn't the headache-inducing floral scent I was afraid of. The honeyed vanilla mingles nicely with the dragon's blood to create a scent that is youthful without being too young or cloying. The throw is strongly almond/cherry, but the spicy & floral notes keep the sweetness in check. This isn't a blend I'd wear often, as it's still a little too floral for my tastes, but I could see this working nicely as a comforting fragrance. I think this would make a gorgeous home scent, though!

In the vial, Holy Sugared Incense, Batman! Wow, that's sweet. Color, RED.

Wet on my skin, certainly sweet, but not cloyingly so. I can see actually wearing this. I'll have to see how the honey develops in this one because I tend not to care much for the heavier BPAL honey scents.

10-15 minute drydown - Eh, the honey seems to have taken over. I can't smell much of anything other than that. A pity, really.

Nilla wafers dunked in dragon's blood. Maybe with some caramel sauce (but not the burnt stuff like I got with, um, one of the Yules whose name is escaping me at the moment) on the side. But somehow not foody. These are all very, *very* good things. I first tried it very early in my BPAL experience, probably two and a half years ago, and wasn't really wowed by it at the time, but my tastes have changed, and now I *love* it. In fact, I think it has overtaken Tanin'iver as my favorite Ars Draconis oil. Tanin'iver is still awesome, but Dragon's Milk is a more year-round scent. I'm not a huge vanilla fan because I have this weird olfactory blind spot when it comes to that note (it doesn't even smell plasticky to me. There's just usually *nothing* there), but I can sure smell it in this, and it's *wonderful*. And I tend to have problems with honey, but this is the apparently one of two honey scents I can wear (the other one is Josie).

The strange part, though, is that I apparently turn this to nag champa. Or maybe my coworker's nose just interprets certain BPAL florals as champa since she's also said this about Panther Moon and the Harp of Cnoc I'Chosgair. She thinks they all smell amazing on me, so I'll keep wearing them.

Anyway. This one is *fantastic* to swipe on my left wrist at about 1:30pm on a busy day at work. I have noticed that I tend to start propping my chin on my left hand at about that time (most of my current job is 10-key data entry with my right hand, so I don't really need my left hand for typing), and having a good scent like this on my left wrist makes me feel calmer. My current job is a temp gig, but if I get hired (as was presented as the plan when I interviewed for the assignment), this is going on my celebratory finally-got-a-real-job bottle order along with Morocco and Dorian (also awesome scents to swipe on at 1:30pm on a crappy afternoon. If this turns out to be a permanent job, I will be keeping rollerballs of each of these in my desk for emergency aromatherapy!).

As a side note, I have some mixed with perfumers' alcohol, and I sprayed it on my cleavage yesterday. Burning like whoa. That doesn't usually happen to me, so I'm not sure what's going on, but at least I don't have that problem with straight-up oil on my wrist.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet. Who knows how long I've had the imps and bottle ... sheesh - bad me!

In the bottle (that is dated 10/2009 btw) this is very sweet. It is not floral at all, because it's a resin, and the vanilla is just sweet and lovely.

Wet on my skin this is just juicy and sweet. Very smooth.

As it dries, the dragon's blood resin gives a bit of a kick and the vanilla starts to take a seat in the back. I very much get a red color from this with just a hint of cream. I can almost smell a cherry-like scent, but it wafts in and out. This scent morphs a bit as it is drying.

I remember now why I went from having an imp or two of this to searching the forums for a bottle. This is sweet, deep, red, and sexy. The throw is pretty good as well. I know its honeyed vanilla - but I can't separate the honey from the other two scents.

Note: Aged (cobalt bottle, year u/k)

Essentially the same as un-aged on me: DB resin goes sweet and powdery; vanilla is beautiful and just as imagine, but the powder from the resin sort of ruins the lot of it. Gentle throw of the honeyed vanilla

I have no idea what dragon's blood is supposed to smell like, but it isn't showing up on me anyway! I'm getting straight honeyed vanilla and it is so so good! I can't stop huffing my wrist! May have to grab a bottle of this one! :wub2:

In the vial - Smells kinda like cherries and vanilla!

On the skin - Sweet, slightly tart, a bit musky with vanilla.

Dry - A sweet vanilla. Quite nice.

This definitely has a cherries & vanilla vibe, which I quite like, but didn't expect. :)

I've been putting off trying this for years due to my experience with Dragon's Blood (we didn't get on too well). However I am so so glad that I finally gave this a chance. I expected to smell the same sharp spicy tang of Dragon's Blood but instead I smell a slightly creamy vanilla that's been sprinkled with a hint of spice. This is not too sweet and not too spicy. I couldn't believe my nose when I put this on though. It smells exactly like Snake Oil and Antique Lace combined!!! I wear this combo during the day when Snake Oil is just too heavy. This scent stayed true all day. I am so over the moon. I haven't been able to wear this combo as I have been saving my poor half imp of Antique Lace, but I can now resume this practise thanks to Dragon's Milk. I am so sorry to have shyed away from you all this time :wub2:

On my skin, the Dragon's Blood resin and the honeyed vanilla are both evident, but they maintain strictly separate identities - this scent doesn't blend too well for me (or maybe it's just my nose). I can see the possibilities, but Dragon's Milk isn't for me.

In the vial: Smells mostly like incense, but also some sweetness.

Wet: Strong dragon's blood/incense smell, a tiny hint of sweetness.

Dry: Just incense. Fades off quickly.

Disappointing as I was looking forward to this one. :( My mother really liked it though so she has it now!

In the vial, Dragon's Milk is a sweeter Dragon's Blood all the way. I cannot distinguish honey nor vanilla at this point, but the Dragon's Blood is definitely more well-rounded. Wet, it still smells vaguely sweet, but after a few minute, the honey begins to emerge. I only seem to get vanilla when I set my wrist down and allow the blend to waft throughout the air, but sniffing my wrist close up, the vanilla seems to hide. As Dragon's Milk dries, it becomes more powdery, and I am still detecting more honey than vanilla. It's the nicest Dragon's Blood blend I have smelled for sure, but there are so many other perfumes that I would rather wear.

I got a very well aged Dragon's Milk, it's even in the 10m blue bottle.

From the bottle: i get bit fresh fruityness and a bit creamy.

On my skin: Very creamy sweet milkyness.

I love this scent! will buy a fresh bottle to smell how different it will be.

But aged it smells really really great !!

Usually, BPAL's vanilla and I are not friends. Somehow it turns sickly/medicinal/fake sweet on me and makes whatever scent I'm trying a scrubber.

In Dragon's Milk, however, this is candy sweet in all the right ways. The dragon's blood adds depth, the honey makes this seem almost edible. It seems to have decent staying power as well. Normally I'm a floral girl, but this is a great comfort scent. I may get a bottle for the cozy fall days when I want to snuggle with a blanket and cocoa. For a sweet scent, there's something sexy about it, though it's sexy in a pyjamas-by-the-fireplace kind of way, and not as much a night at the club.

Editing to add: trying an aged imp of this and bam- it's my Holy Grail! 😍

Smoky dragon incense and sexy honey -wow...

Edited by JasminDreams2010

This one scared me in the vial :nervous: It was a freebie in my first order and one that I had mulled over before ordering, but since I had never heard of dragon's blood, let alone smelled, I passed on it. I was very intrigued when it came with the order and excitedly opened up the vial. Woah, if that's dragon's blood, no thanks.I become consumed with wearing Snake OIl, O, La Petit Mort, and other yummy scents, and Dragon's Milk was neglected for several weeks. Then one morning I put it on. I can't remember if I finally working up the courage or didn't look at the label, but on it went, quite liberally. A few minutes later, mmmmm, what is that? Dragon's Milk?! Now I really enjoy wearing it. I'm not sure if a bit of aging helped, bringing the honey and vanilla forward more, but now I reach for it regularly.

for the first 5 min all i could smell was this spicy soapyness. I was quite glad when that mellowed to the regular dragon blood spiciness. I can get a little bit of honey.. but not really any vanilla. This is a nice scent.. I just think it could be really amazing if it did actually have a milk or cream note in it. Although, apparently the creaminess really comes out from aging it, so i will definitely keep this around for a while. If does end up a bit more creamy, I will surely be ordering a bottle.

I got this as a frimp like two years ago and completely hated it at the time. I put it on and it smelled like a cherry urinal cake. Horrible!

Two years later I found it at the bottom of my imp box and decided to give it another try. Honey is a death note on me, and it seems like the honey completely faded from it over those two years. The scent is now pretty much pure Dragon's Blood resin, a pleasant herbal sort of smell that I can't completely put my finger on with just a drop of cherry and a little slice of vanilla cake. Unfortunately it has like, zero throw in its old age.

While Dragon's Milk didn't quite work out for me, it's made me hopeful that I'll like other Dragon blends.

Got this as a frimp with my last order, thank you! :)

In the imp: Oh dear, I was afraid this might not be for me when I read the honeyed vanilla bit of the description. At first sniff, I get oddly sharp vanilla and something a little too sweet.

On skin: The vanilla's still there, but it's retained the too-sharp, chilly quality, darn. The dragon's blood resin is there at least a little, but so is the honey, which still smells too sweet to me.

On drydown: The dragon's blood resin is only barely there on me, and the honey and vanilla are more okay one moment, then almost medicinal the next. No offense meant, but this one isn't for me. I'll be sure it gets a good home with someone local, though. :)

In bottle: Cherry vanilla?

Wet: Is that cherry or a strawberry honey-like scent I am smelling? Either way it is very subtle and sweet. I think I might be getting a bit of the plastic note that some people get from vanilla but I don't really mind.

Dry: If Snake oil is my "I want your hands on me!" vanilla, this is more of an "admire me from afar" sort of vanilla.

Overall: One might think with the notes listed that Dragon's Milk would be similar to Womb Furie, but I am not getting that at all. This is a soft, sweet, not too sexy vanilla that is kept interesting by the Dragon's Blood. This is also an awesome blend if you hate the vanilla in blends like Antique Lace, Banshee Beat and Celeste. It is more in line with Snake Oil and Pickled Imp but with the lightness of Mouse's Long and Sad Tale. Yup, I definitely need a bottle.

In the imp and wet on my skin, this smells like plasticky dragon’s blood.

The plastic smell takes maybe 15 minutes to burn off and then it’s pretty much gone. For a little while it smells like someone crumbled up vanilla cookies into dragon’s blood, but mostly it becomes a spiced vanilla cookie. It’s nice for a little while, but it has got a ton of throw, and after a while I get sick of smelling this kind of cookie. It’s weird, because I don’t mind smelling like a cookie usually, but something about the dragon’s blood resin makes this too insistent for me. Kind of good, but at the same time weird and a bit disturbing. Like a cookie from somebody else's house, made by somebody else's mom. Or a cookie made by the Other Mother. :lol: Creepy!

Maybe some of the plastic has lingered, and that's what I'm getting. I don’t know. But I won't be reaching for Dragon's Milk very often.

Helloooooo Dragon's Milk! Goodness I love this scent!

In the Imp:

Kinda cherry cough drop-like. But there's still a resinous bite to it that keeps it from being overly medicinal. I was honestly surprised by how dominant the cherry smell was. But it's not a normal cherry. It's recognizable, but like.. it's a new species that evolved from the cherry you're familiar with. You know what it is and where it came from, but it's obviously different. Lol.

Wet:

Woah! Cherrycherrycherrycherrycherry. The medicinal quality is fading and I can smell the vanilla/honey notes now, though they're faint. Very strong and it's got quite a throw.

Drydown:

Cherry is still the dominant note but it's still the distant cousin type and the vanilla/honey are more obvious along with a somewhat smokey resinous smell that adds an intriguing layer to it. It lasts a really long time on me. I put it on around 3pm and it's now nearly 1am and it's still discernible to a direct sniff, though not an atmospheric smell anymore. That's ok.

Frankly I was surprised at how strong it was. I put it on a few hours before going to work and I was worried that I'd overapplied because it was still extremely strong when I went in (and stayed that way for several hours). I wasn't paying attention to when it stopped being an atmospheric scent. But still... this one has lasted longer than any others I've tested so far.

It's glorious! I love it and I really want to try the other Ars Draconis scents now. :)