Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dragon's Milk

A truly fae nectar! Dragon's blood resin and honeyed vanilla.

Sniffed: Neon orange oil. Dragon's blood, honey, and a rather cloying, powdery vanilla. Makes me think of O + DB, two major nemeses. I'm scared!

Wet: Very heavy on the DB, and fruitier than usual - cherry galore - with a soapy-lilac Febreze undertone. Creamier, the vanilla is nicer - and the honey is rich and syrupy, perhaps a little heavy for my tastes.

Dry: Insanely strong throw, and it's going plastic as O does on me, and sort of powdery. Combined with the increasingly soapy, fake cherry Febreze, I'm utterly revolted. Sink.

:ack: Edited by Shollin

Bottle: Vaguely spicy, sweet vanilla.

Wet: This is weird... Not unpleasant. Just weird. Totally lost the vague spiciness of the bottle scent. Kind of makes me think of cherry, almond, and vanilla extracts. Sickly sweet.

Dry: Still getting the cherry, almond, and vanilla extract-like smell.

1 hour in: On me, this is a dead ringer for the cleaner they use in those porta potties. Eww. :ack: Going to swap this and hopefully get it to someone who it will work for.

Decant: Sweet Dragon’s blood with a cherry/almond vibe.

Wet on Me: More vanilla Cherry…over faint Dragon’s blood

Drying Down: mostly vanilla over dragon’s blood now. The cherry/almond is a lingering whisper.

Dry: Boozy vanilla over dragon’s blood. Not bad. Interesting

I liked this when it was fresh, but aged it's become utterly wonderful. A rich but not cloying butterscotch scent. It's not heavy or foody though - it's more like butterscotch candies, smooth and sweet. One of my favourites and I'll definitely upgrade to a big bottle when I can.

Edited by wickedpixie

Sweet!

Freshly applied: Sweety McSweeterson, mayor of Sweetville.

Dry: Dragon's blood has warmed up and is coming out to play. Very nice when I huff my arm. Unfortunately, with my nose anywhere further than two inches away, it is doing that thing where resin + SWEET = reads as baby powder. If it were the finest baby powder money could buy of course, but the brain of the average person smelling me would just go through its pattern-recognition routine and match on baby powder.

In conclusion: This is brand new from the lab, and it is one of the imps that is going in the "age and try again" section.

Edit: Tried wearing it all day, and I have now decided this is sweet, but not too sweet for me. I like it and it makes me happy. I can't stop comparing it to O (which I love), and have come to think of it basically as "O, remixed." It has the dragon's blood instead of amber, a very similar vanilla but a very different honey. O's honey's is that in-your-face wonderful sour, for lack of a better word. Dragon's Milk's honey is just sweet. I may end up with a bottle yet.

Edited by Scarah

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. But not foody! The Dragon's Blood is not as prominent as it is in most scents as soon as they meet with my skin. But here the sweetness of the vanilla and honey is dominant and the DB keeps it from smelling edible, which is a nice combination. I sometimes like sweet stuff as long as it does not smell too edible.

A note for people on whom the standard vanilla note in most bpal scents often smells like plastic - that does not happen to me with this scent.

I do quite like it when I am in the right mood, especially when I am cold or a little depressed, it is really a comfort scent. Good throw and very good staying power as well.

The vanilla in this reminds me of the vanilla in Opuhi minus the ginger note. The dragon's blood adds just a hint of spice and the honey...(for once) is behaving well. I like this. I think I will wear it on days when I just don't know what else to wear.

In the imp: Exactly as the description state, sweet resin dragon's blood. And there's foody vanilla and yummy honey! It's the vanilla in O, and I love it.

Wet: The dragon's blood isn't as overpowering as in some of the other ars draconis scents. The vanilla and honey are more pronounced. I'm glad, because I'm, not really a fan of dragon's blood on my skin, but it's not bothering me in this.

Dry: Definitely the vanilla in O! Love it! I didn't think I would, but I adore honey, and it's the vanilla that doesn't turn to plastic or musk on my skin. The dragon's blood is very faint in the background.

Overall: Of the dragon's blood scents, this is definitely my favorite. I think it's because it's not a true resin scent, but a more sweet powdery scent. The vanilla isn't plastic, and honey is always yummy. Will definitely use my imp!

I love this perfume! It's so warm and cuddly!

The dragon's blood is fresh and slightly green.

The vanilla and honey blend together seamlessly, and never become cloying.

As the perfume dries down, the incensy aspects of the dragon's blood comes out more.

Hours after the perfume has faded there is a "my skin, only better" scent left behind.

This is a perfume I would wear year round- it is not too heavy or obtrusive for hot weather, and it's comforting to wear in cool weather.

Yay!

Out of the bottle I find this scent deliciously intoxicating. Seriously. I sniff it.. my eyes roll back :D

When initially applied there's a cherry note that I'm a little worried about but it dries down so nicely to a lovely balanced dragon's blood, honey, vanilla mix. The longer I wear it the more prominent the vanilla note becomes. Unlike so many this also has good lasting power on me.

Overall. YUM! I can see myself wearing this a LOT.

Edit: A few weeks on and I am loving this more and more. This is pretty much my go to. So delicious and it lasts FOREVER on me.

Edited by MinxyMinou

At first this wasn't so bad and I was luxuriating in some sweet, slightly spicy vanilla.

Then came the dragon's blood.

Note to self: (Ahem) Stop. Trying. This. Series!!! Dragon's blood = death on you! and yet I keep trying them...stupid obsessive need for completion :P

In Imp: strong spicy scent with a touch of vanilla

Wet: getting some vanilla and a LOT of spice (which I'm guessing is the Dragon's Blood? I thought that was more floral?)

Drydown: Vanilla is coming out more, but still very, very SPICY.

Still going strong on me several hours later. Has quite a throw, also.

Not sure about this one. I'm kinda meh about spicy scents, but the husband really liked it on me. Will probably use up imp and dither about getting a bottle.

This is another one of the scents I've had for a while, coming on two years (in the imp vial). So I'm reviewing it after it's aged for quite a while, though I don't recall any major shifts in its scent over that timespan.

Wet and on, it blooms out to be very cherry, and rather strong. Most BPAL I can smell if I bring my wrist up to my nose, or if I'm moving and the scent wafts. Dragon's Milk, I can smell when I'm sitting still. And for the first half-hour or so, unless I applied it while I was outside, so can everyone else in the room! I've had to be very cautious about applying it before getting into a car or other confined space, because it can give me a headache.

After that initial bloom that is almost too cherry for me to stand, Dragon's Milk drastically improves. It softens, the scent becomes less overpowering, and a creamy sweetness becomes the dominant note, with the cherry thrown out the window.

The second stage lasts forever on me, all through the day. I love the second stage scent, but since an imp can last me so long on this, I don't have any plans for getting a big bottle of this.

I've never smelled a blend containing dragon's blood before. I'm assuming this is what I can smell in the imp- it's slightly fruity and also slightly fake smelling, almost like scented plastic dolls or scratch-and-sniff stickers. It's not unpleasant, just... odd.

While it's wet on my arm, it's the same plasticky smell. As it dries I can smell more vanilla, but bringing my wrist back to my nose all I can smell is the dragon's blood.

I really can't decide if I like this or not. Yes, it smells plasticky, but in a strangely pleasant way. I think I'll test it further.

This is one of my new favorite BPALs. When I first put it on, I couldn't smell anything and I thought for sure I'd want to trade this imp, but after an hour or so it just blossomed into something beautiful on me. I like sweet, but I'm not a big fan of really foody scents. This was a light, milky sweetness (reminded me of condensed milk) mixed with florals. I didn't get any of the fruitiness like some people are describing. It's more flowery for me. Definitely getting a full bottle of this.

Edited by Lupin1

in the bottle: I haven't researched to see what Dragon's Blood is, but I've learned to associate it with a strangely mellow/spicy/sweet scent that resides somewhere near the intersection of amber, cinnamon and almond -- at least to my nose. This is that, with a kind of creamy, smooth undertone.

on wet: Exactly the same as in the bottle.

drydown: The sweetish component (almond-y) and the creamy component have come to the fore. I get the amber-like scent too, which (as amber always does) reminds me of soap.

one hour later: This has mellowed out to a lighter version of what I smelled in the bottle, which is interesting to me; this is the first BPAL fragrance I've smelled that is, on me, exactly what it seems to be initially -- all the rest change, many dramatically.

end of day: Light, sweetish, mellow, creamy, hint of spice.

compared to official description: The creamy/smooth component has to be the vanilla, but it doesn't stand out to me as vanilla; perhaps that has something to do with the "honeyed" component. [Edit:In the end the vanilla did stand out. I'm not sure this is a vanilla that I'm fond of -- a little too ... I don't know. I can't really describe what it it that I don't like about it.]

notes: I would call this scent "not me", or at least atypical of scents I like, but there's something about it that appeals to me. Jury's out. I'll have to try it again later.

Edited by Graphica

well, this definitely matches the fae nectar description. in the bottle its very sweet, and candylike, i'm not really getting any vanilla or honey, but i'm intrigued, i've never tried dragon's blood before, and i'm really really hoping the milky part of dragon's milk will come out to play on my skin....

unfortunately something here doesn't like me, when i smell my wrists all i get is a kind of sweet plastic smell. almost like those scented toys you could get when i was small. this is the first scent ive tried that has really not worked on me, but thats ok, there are plenty more on my list to try :D

this will eventually go to a better home were it can live up to its true potential instead of being affected by my wonky skin chemistry

Dragon's Blood and I are great friends, so anything including it will work magic on my skin.

This is no exception. This is the sweet enticing version. The vanilla is perfectly balanced and the dragon's blood is so nice, I'm sure it's producing quite a lovely aura on me right now. Smells intoxicating! I'm definitely getting a bottle!

Bottle: Vanilla and dragon's blood.

Wet: The dragon's blood comes out to play a bit more and gets a bit lilac-y. The vanilla is present and the honey kind of sexes this up.

Dry: This dries down to just a perfect sweet, resinous, playful sort of blend. It's sexy without being overt and sweet without being saccharine. The dragon's blood is the dominant scent supported by a bit of sweet vanilla and then the perfect sultry bit of honey. I definitely can smell why this would be called fae.

Throw: Good.

Overall: It's... cute, is actually the best word for this. This is good. It's a really playful, fun, interesting blend without sacrificing a bit of sultriness. A lovely, lovely blend.

Edited by paperrose

A lot of the creamy sweet cherriness that I've liked about the imp has gone away from when it's fresh. The vanilla and honey have actually smoothed out and merged with the dragon's blood. My bf commented that it smells like fruity bubble gum but to me it's all about the sweetness of all the notes barred together. A timeless classic and very sniffable! Glad I have a bottle coming my way of this! (The imp I had is aged about 3 years)

In the imp, this smells like dragon's blood and... plastic. Well, that's not a good sign. On my skin, it's dragon blood, but the honeyed vanilla is a lot better on my skin, not plasticy. Oh, this is nice.

Oh I really like this one. I have no chemistry issues with Dragons Blood... I know that there are people out there who do. I was looking for something sweet that was NOT O, something about the honey that is in there goes all powdery on me. This does not do that!

Imp - Holy smokes that is some thick oil! Getting some plastic in there, as Venneh mentioned.

On - No more plastic! I am getting the cherry spice that others have mentioned. It reminds me of a cherry-vanilla cigar, before it is lit.

Dry - pretty spicy honeyed vanilla. Oh, I love this!

I'm usually not fond of the Lab's dragon's blood... Dragon's Milk is the ONLY exception I've found. It is absolutely delicious, heavenly, wonderful, sniff yourself all day, goodness. I would even call this a pretty straight forward thick, rich vanilla blend. I don't normally like foody smells and this really works for satisfying that delicious vanilla scent in a non-foody and also non-floral way. I didn't think I would love this one, but I really do.

Edit to add:

This is also the bpal that I get the most compliments on - hands down. It's easy to love a scent that gets so much positive attention.

Edited by strahlend