Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dragon's Milk

A truly fae nectar! Dragon’s blood resin and honeyed vanilla.

sweet, powdery, too sweet for me to stomach, i'm afraid, and after reading the description it makes sense. i don't do well with foody. :D

fortunately, this imp was just a sniffy which i was gifted with by a recent swapper, and i will be passing it on to a better home soon! i am still glad i got the chance to try it. :P

Right now, this smells exactly like a public restroom on me -- sort of rotting floral, sort of human waste. I hope it gets better.

I've never worn unaged dragon's blood before, so if it continues to stink, I'll put it away for a few weeks and try it then. Ew.

I'm going to quote this review, because it is essentially how Dragon's Milk turns out to be on me: public restroom.

I was curious about this blend as it seem to be such a favourite. I can certainly see why. The dragon's blood resin doesn't go "cherry" on my skin, but rather, takes on a fruit/floral vibe. It's sweet, but not overly so. The vanilla is a little spicy here. About an hour in, I could swear I was wearing a clove scent. I kept smelling something all evening, and wondering what it was that smelled so good. I brought my wrist passed my nose as I was reaching for something, and I realized it was me! I will certainly be wearing this blend often!

On me it was cherry floral toilet cleaner drowning in dry vanilla. I had very high expectations on this but I already forgiven.

In the bottle: Mmm. Vanilla, thick and luscious, with a hint of something floral.

Wet: I am in heaven with this scent. The vanilla is strong, but it's not a fake vanilla smell, it's thick and creamy and has so much more body to it than your other run-of-the-mill factory branded vanilla smells. It's divine.

Drydown: Not much change, thank god. The vanilla is delightfully complex, smoky at times (is that weird) and sweet and creamy at others. There's just the faintest hint of Dragon's blood resin in the background, but all my body seems to love is the vanilla and it's totally mutual.

Overall: LOVE THIS. :P Originally I had claimed that Tiki Queen was going to be my signature scent but this? This one trumps Tiki Queen. So glad I took a chance and purchased this one unsniffed. I'm even more thrilled this one is a GC because I will be wearing this for many many many years to come.

this was one of the first BPAL i ever tried... and is one of the few Dragon's Blood scents i can actually wear.

creamy and maraschino-cherry-sweet, although there's a borderline medicinal or alcoholic note that shows up sometimes.

I have a nearly-empty bottle of this in my little perfume box that I pull out every now and then. It's incredibly aged - I'm guessing 5 years at this point. Aged this is so much better than new on my skin. It has a creamy, rather sweet scent that smells almost fruity - but not like a fruit I know, if that makes sense. It smells like someone took an exotic, luscious fruit and baked it and covered it in thick cream and let the concoction sit.

The lasting power in insane on this, too. My skin usually burns oils up fast, but this lasts nearly all day on me without losing power. :P

Imp: More honey than anything else. Just a hint of the dragon's blood and vanilla.

Wet: Really an amazing soft, smooth honey scent. The dragon's blood gives it a hint of the exotic and the vanilla tempers the sweetness.

Dry: It starts to become a little more floral,a little less sweet...still this is truly the ambrosia of the faeries! I many need a bottle in the future.

In the imp this is a slightly vanilla-y Dragon's blood scent. I'm not a huge Dragon's blood fan-too floral for me generally.

On my skin, I get a bit more of that honeyed vanilla, which I do think is a nice addition to the Dragon's blood. It's not as milky (the lab's milk note usually goes horribly wrong on me) or powdery as I was worried it would be. A nice sweet vanilla version of Dragon's blood.

Overall, I do like this blend more than I like most Dragon's Blood blends. The addition of honeyed vanilla sweetens it up in a yummy way, without making it too foody, but helping calm down the floral-ness of Dragon's Blood that it isn't really my thing. I wouldn't purchase a bottle of this, but would absolutely recommend Dragon's Blood fans to check this blend out-it is very nice!

Mmmmmm! So good! This starts off as dragon's blood resin with a bit of sweetness, but then morphs into something divine! This smells like honey sweet dragon's milk! It's vanilla tempered by dragon's blood, basically. Easy to describe but wonderful to smell! The throw is great on me, and I can't stop sniffing.

Sadly, my mother hates it and made me scrub it off. :P I guess I'll have to have a secret affair with it.

Edited by Acid

So, to be perfectly honest, I'm not quite sure what to make of this one. It smells like rich vanilla with a fruity/floral undertone that is just a tad too sweet for my personal tastes. I think I'm going to let it age for a while before trying it again.

In the vial: Smokey sweet and redI'm actually reminded of candy.

On me: This is not what I expected, but it is delightful. The dragon's blood resin is smoky, spicy, rich, and darkmoreso than I expected for this blend, and moreso than it usually is on my skin. The honey and vanilla are smooth and deep and gently sweet. On the skin the candyness disappears, leaving just a hint of non-foody silky sweetness; the usual fruity/floral aspects of DBR are incredibly subdued, mostly contributing a round redness. This is dark, spicy, warm, full, and slightly sweet. Scent-color is a dark dim red; scent-color is spicy powder floating over silky cream. Throw is moderate to low; wear-length is moderate to high.

Verdict: I think I was expecting a sweeter, lighter, candy-like scent, but the dragon is not missing from Dragon's Milk. I don't know where the spiciness comes from, but I'm glad it's here. This is a spicy, warm, sweet scent with radiates from the skin like one's own warmth; it's unexpectedly deep, and perfectly intriguing. I am so thankful that I have a whole bottle of this blendI imagine I'll be wearing it often, and I'm equally excited to see it age. Absolutely a keeper, and a new favorite.

In the bottle: Sweet and earthy (but not dirt). I get the barest touch of honey as well.

On, wet: Plastic and cherries? Oh, dear.

On, dry: This smells exactly like cherry Luden's throat lozenges. Not horrible, but wow, not expected.

I've never tried anything with Dragon's Blood resin before. Let's see...

Imp: Cherry with a lot of honey and vanilla

Wet: Ditto

Drydown: This is how I thought Dana O' Shee would smell. Very warm and comforting. They honeyed vanilla is right up my alley and the dragons blood resin is giving it a little zing. I rather like it.

Overall: I'll keep this imp around to see how it goes. It's worth putting on a bottle audition.

This is the first Ars Draconis scent I have tried so far--I've been afraid that dragon's blood notes will be way too sweet for me. :eek:

In the imp: Light, sugary vanilla and cream

Wet on skin: The vanilla cream vibe is deepening and becoming fruitier. I liked it pretty well in the imp but I like this stage even better.

Dry on skin: Fruit (cherry-like, almost) bathed in cream and honey. I've gone from trepidation to like to LOVE with this one. It lasts well over 12 hours on me and hardly morphs at all.

Now it's time to try the rest of the Ars Draconis scents to see if dragon's blood and I will always get along this well. :wub2:

Dragon's Milk

In the bottle: A soft, lilting smell. Almost floral, but at the same time, sugary and otherworldly.

On my skin: This one is sweet without being cloying. A very mild vanilla with hints of deep, earthy notes. It has a pleasant dry-down, turning into something creamy and powdery, but not in a way that leaves me thinking 'ugh, soap' like some have in the past.

My girlfriend gave me this one. She received it as a frimp from the lab and it didn't work on her, so she decided to give me the chance to try it. I wasn't sure it would work on me, either, but I could see myself wearing this more in the future.

Wet: Sweet chemicals.

Drydown: This is cloying and sickeningly sweet. From the reviews, I was really excited about trying this, but unfortunately, my nose and skin aren't working with this one. :rantrave:

Heya. Here we are at the ol' dragon ranch, time to rope us up a biggun!

...whoa nelly, pardner, you caught yerself a Buick thar. The paddock's back yonder.

There y'go, now yer pointin' the right way, just give that rope a twirl and catch yerself a lizard so big an' fierce it'll scare the stink off a sock...lookit, there's a surly old bastard by the edge of the paddock! Go for that one!

...you done caught the Buick again, ma'am.

A biggun may not be the 'un for you, ma'am. Here, we got this little red filly--sweet as summer honey. C'mon over here, sugar. See, there, see how smooth she is. Hear that little purr there, ain't that just precious as hell. Little smoky but she won't set yer curtains afire or nothin'. Take her home, why don'cha? Dish 'a milk in the morning, walkies twice a day. There y'go.

...no, ma'am, you can't take the $@#$% Buick too.

Lobster Rating

better than: big zoo cats sleeping in the sun like non-big non-zoo cats

Dragon's Milk is, as I expected, mostly BPAL's wonderful dragon's blood resin-- super smooth and satiny. This might even be a good stand-in for a single-note perfume if that's what you're looking for. But it does have a lick of creaminess (which contributes more to the overall texture of the scent as opposed to smelling overtly "milky") and a refined, crystalline touch of sugar and maybe benzoin? The effect is honeyish, but not quite like other honey notes I've encountered.

This oil is beautifully blended, fairylike and buoyant. It probably surpasses Blood Amber as my new favorite dragon's blood resin blend as it's somewhat more graceful and not quite as strong.

P.S. Uploaded Lobster's description of the sort of dragon this evokes is dead on.

Edited by Aldercy

I'd really like a bottle of this. It's sweet and vanilla'd lilac on me. It's so fresh and creamy, and it lasts forever.

First of all, I love the color of this oil!

And the scent is soooo yummy. It wasn't what I was expecting, but in a good sort of way. It's this creamy, slightly sweet blend, that comes across as very sensual to me. It's not terribly foody, which is nice, but it's just slightly so.

When I first tested my VERY lab-fresh bottle of Dragon's Milk, it was so sweet I couldn't stand it.

Now that it's been aging for a month or so, it's changing into something I know I will love. SmoooooooooooOOoth and creamy Dragon's Blood, with smoky vanilla. I think this one will be a fast favorite, and I want another bottle to age!

In the bottle: Mmm, caramel!

Wet on skin: Getting more of the dragon's blood now, with creamy sweetness overlaid..

On the drydown: Dragon's blood! Hmm, the sugaryness has almost completely vanished - sad. And.. is that a hint of play-dough?! Oh, no! It's still a nice enough scent, though. Don't think it's going on my 5ml wishlist, though. Yes, it rather smells like red play-dough.. Oh, well! Win some, lose some!