Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dragon's Milk

A truly fae nectar! Dragon’s blood resin and honeyed vanilla.

The dragon's blood and vanilla work so well together that it took me trying a few other DB scents before realising that I did get vanilla and it really and truly adds to what makes me love this scent so much :D

It's warm and sweet - a total comfort smell. It reminds me of sweets, but I can't quite identify what sweets :P But it makes me very happy.

What's wrong with me? When I placed this in my last order, this was the bottle that I was most looking forward to trying...but it just isn't for me.

In the bottle, it screams of plastic.

I put it on and it doesn't really smell any different :P

When I was a kid, I had a My Little Pony that smelled like caramel popcorn. To me, this is exactly the Dragon's Milk reminds me of, sweet vanilla scented plastic.

I wore it out to work one day and I had two people comment that I smelled lovely, so who knows?

In imp: Syrupy sweet. Honey, vanilla and something... else. It must be the dragon's blood. I really wish I had a single note or the resin to compare this with. However, in the imp, this smells very yummy. It smells like it would be... chewy. "Ooh, that's chewy, I want to chew on this smell." Not swallow or eat, just chew. :P

On me: My skin loves honey and vanilla and honey and vanilla both smell really good on me. Yum. And then there's that other smell, something that reminds me of huffing a bouquet of lilies and getting a faceful (and noseful) of pollen. Powdery and sweet. Yes, I smell like vanilla-scented powder. It's woody and dry, yet sickeningly sweet at the same time. It's also becoming sort of plasticky. I dread to say it but I smell like baby powder. And with the plasticky scent coming out, I smell like baby powder dusted on disposable baby diapers (clean ones, thank goodness).

Sigh. It smelled so good in the imp, but all powder and plastic on me. It eventually got unbearable and I had to wash it off, and I still smell faintly of plastic baby. Taniableu, in her review right above me, mentioned the smell of My Little Ponies and she is dead on. I don't think dragon's blood and I like each other.

:D

Edited by trollgirl

Ah. The ever popular Dragon's Milk. I don't know how much I can say about this one -- from what I'd smelled of both dragon's blood resin and vanilla before I knew a perfume with these two in it would be super nummy. And. Yup. It is.

In the imp: Vanilla and Dragon's Blood.

Wet on me: Vanilla and Dragon's Blood. (We can all see that this is going to be an exciting review)

Dry on me: Vanilla and Dragon's Blood -- only the vanilla has deepened a bit as has the dragon's blood.

Since dragon's blood tends to morph on me depending on my skin chemistry (mind you, it never smells *bad* just... different) the smell of this can range from a tasty piece of cherry-vanilla hard candy, to patchouli and vanilla to almost floral. But most of the time the scent is, without a doubt....

...Vanilla and spicy, heady, unique smelling Dragon's Blood.

This smell is definitely nice, it's not a scent that screams ME at the top of its lungs, but, I'm definitely keeping the imp and may one day spring for a bottle.

4.5 out of 5

first sniff in bottle-- not so sure I liked it.

wet on skin-- ehhhh... I'm still not sure.

starting to dry-- whoa! nice! VERY sweet but also a little smoky. Not a dragon scent, but maybe something a dragon's princess would smell like after laboring in the kitchen over dessert. :P Reminds me of a very vanilla-y pipe smoke or else warm vanilla sugar from B&BW, or both.

Dry-- the faintest trace of vanilla... kind of creamy.

I think on my boyfriend this would be to die for. I'll have to find out. :D

I dont know what dragon's blood resin is, but I am overwhelmed by the red, musky smell. The creamy vanilla tones it down a bit, but it's still quite sweet.

Verdict: maybe...I'll try again in the future B-

It is what it says it is: dragon's blood and sweet vanilla.

The two notes actually work really well together. I'm pleasantly surprised by how mild it is. It's sweet and cozy smelling, without being too cloyingly vanilla-y or too overwhelmingly dragon's blood-y. Quite a pleasant little scent, and one I'd recommend to people who like these notes.

Right now, this smells exactly like a public restroom on me -- sort of rotting floral, sort of human waste. I hope it gets better.

I've never worn unaged dragon's blood before, so if it continues to stink, I'll put it away for a few weeks and try it then. Ew.

This is exactly what I expected. A sweet sweet dragon's blood.

It's pretty yummy out of the bottle, and when first on me it has all of the warm spicyness of the dragon's blood with a lot of sweet vanilla. It's a sticky scent.

The floralness of the dragon's blood really comes out in drydown.

Oh, I see what you mean about the public restroom smell. When I put it on yesterday I didn't really notice it, but now that's in my head, I can smell it.

Thankfully, it doesn't last for long on me. The super sticky smell has relaxed, and it's gone back to being really yummy. Still sticky, but not overbearing.

Yesterday I had been out in the hot sun a lot, and I smelled like spicy caramel. It's less carmely today, but no less sweet. I'm very tempted to lick my arm. :P

I like this, not as much as I like Dragon's Musk though. I dislike being this sweet in this weather, although I think it smells good on me. I'm going to have to set it aside for the season, but I look forward to wearing it some other times.

First whiff: Ugh. I thought it was the dragon's blood in another scent that I liked so much. I'm thinking now that it wasn't. This stuff is sticky sweet and a bit cloying.

I ended up liking this one ok in the fourth hour of wear. Unfortunately, I hated it for the first three and a half hours. Mind you, I like it a tiny bit better than I liked Dragon's Hide, but not much. *sigh* I really wanted to like this one. Guess I'll keep it and try it out again in a few months.

I hope it is okay to write a really negative review. Because

:P Holy christ. I do think that this is one of the worst scents I have ever smelled (probably it is actually a tie with Malediction). It reminds me of some shitty drugstore cologne kneaded into some Play-doh. :D

It must be the Dragon's Blood resin, because vanilla and sweet scents don't usually turn into MARSHMALLOW CREME VOMIT on me.

Ahem. Sorry about that. Carry on.

Edited by nightbiscuit

Initially sharp cherry/floral from the dragon's blood, but it mellows out after time and the honeyed vanilla adds a bit of smoothness.

It's pleasant enough, but it might be a bit too fruity/floral for me without anything richer and spicier holding it down... almost borderline bathroom air freshener, but a good quality one. Doesn't really feel like me though, at least, not today.

3/5

I purchased my bottle fresh from the lab over a year and a half ago and I letter sit and ferment. Ohhh boy has this aged very nicely. I bet it will age even better...this is one of my science experiments.. lets see just how purty I can make a perfume smellz.

Lovely.. the honey and vanilla sweeten up the dragons blood.. making it oh so feminine. It's brimstone and heaven. Like a lovely puffy cloud with lots of angels and cherubs while the devil takes one out at a time with an arrow of sin. It's the smell of the underworld tainted with a bit of love and happiness and hello Kitty. Love it!!!! :P

Oh wow! This is my first foray into Ars Draconis. I was a little hesitant to try to dragon's blood stuff at first, because it seems like people have very strong reactions to it (love it or hate it).

But wow! I love this. Not too surprising (I'm a huge vanilla/tonka/benzoin fan), but I think I'm liking the dragon's blood a lot too. Good stuff!

I really waffle with this one. Usually I LOVE it to pieces. It's a delicious, nougat-y, vanilla dessert. It's lovely.

But then sometimes this one goes right to my head and makes my stomach turn a little bit. I am definitely a foody lover, but at times this is just a titch too much.

Today though, it's gorgeous... :P

Dragon's Milk makes my heart happy.

It has the powerful cherry-cinnamon undercurrent of Dragon's Blood, but with a creamy vanilla in the forefront. The two mix so incredibly well! The only complaint I have is that it doesn't last long enough.

This, to me, is Dragon's Blood mixed with Chimera.

Wet in imp - I definitely smell the vanilla, but am having trouble placing the “dragon’s blood” scent”

Wet on skin - vanilla and a soapy smell. Disappointing, I hope the soap goes away.

Dry on skin - No soap, lots of vanilla with a faintly resinous and cherry undertone. Delicious. Definitely foodie, but the dragon's blood tempers the vanilla and keeps it from being too sugar-sweet.

Edited by gingiemay

In Bottle: The honey/vanilla lightens and sweetens it. There is a distinctly nursery scent to it. Wet: A softer, gentler snake oil. Not unpleasing, but a little two gentle for me, I thought at first, but it only got richer and more alluring. Dry: I went back and forth on this. It’s yummy and has a lot of through, but now and then the sexy turns randomly to nursery, which I found disconcerting.

In bottle/imp: Dragon’s blood and plastic-y vanilla.

Immediately on skin: The dragon’s blood is there, but it’s softened. In the forefront of the scent is the vanilla… it’s the same sort of vanilla I got from MB: Biggercritters in that it smells like doll heads. It’s this plastic-y, powdery vanilla.

After a few minutes: The dragon’s blood is still blending completely with the vanilla… and it seems to have gotten more babydoll head-ish if that’s possible. It’s a very strong scent.

Overall Impressions: I wanted to like this, and I can really see how it could be amazing on some people, but this vanilla unfortunately turns to plastic on me. Maybe if I try it again another time it’ll get better but right now it’s just not for me.

bizarrely, this was pure, loud hyacint on me. Wrath did almost exactly the same, so I am forced to conclude it must be the dragon's blood. How sad, this sounded interesting.

I've recently discovered that I don't like the smell of DB resin, so I'm not surprised that this is a miss for me. DB to me is strong, sickly sweet floral, and the honeyed vanilla only makes this blend worse. I'll pass this imp onto someone who will appreciate more than I do.

In the vial it's just resin, I almost didn't put it on, but I'm glad I did. When it dries it's sort of a creamy, vanilla almond with the faintest hint of cherry...all without ever actually smelling like food.

ETA: I forgot to mention the downside: I'm fairly pale and it doesn't matter how little I apply, it leaves a pretty obvious stain, like most of the darker oils.

Edited by pacifick

I didn't like the original Dragon's Blood at all, but this is a very nice variation. The vanilla keeps it from being too sweet.

This little imp was a frimp in an order of a few months ago, and it was about time it was tested.

In the imp: dragon’s blood, but a little sweeter and more powdery

On Wet: dragon’s blood and babies, and something sort of like suntan lotion?

Dry down: getting random sweetness, lilies; less spice,more mellow. Perhaps almond extract?

Later: warm and slightly powdery almond handsoap.

Summary: Spicey sweetness to creamy almond handsoap. It is both warm and bright. I have a feeling this will find a good home with a Dragon's Blood loving friend of mine.

On a side note, After about three hours of creamy almond handsoap, I layered it with Dracul (of all things). A surprisingly nice combo, kind of piney cream.

Someone somewhere mentioned Dragon's Milk smelling to them something like Dr. Pepper, and I can see where they got the comparison. It's spice with creamy almond vanilla.

In the imp it's a sharp sweet scent that doesn't smell at all to me like dragon's blood resin, almost candy like.

Wet on it's very sweet, almost too sweet, (and I'm a foodie, vanilla loving girl!)

After the dry down: it's very sweet still, but slightly powdery, it reminds me of a candy I used to eat as a kid, those banana marshmallow things. I wanted to like this one, but I think it's a bit to candy like for me. :P

Over all it's a nice scent, but I don't think I'll be wearing this often enough.