Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Vibrant with the joy and sweetness of life in death! A blend of five sugars, lightly dusted with candied fruits.

2007:

Akin to Midwinter's Eve. Much fruitier than past versions. The past ones always struck me as being a dried out fruit, covered in sugar, or like cast, hardened sugar. This is like those sugary fruit slices. Still "dry" in the sense that it's not fresh fruit, but much more juicy and fresh in feeling.

Of the three Sugar Skulls I’ve tried (‘05, ‘06, ‘07) this is my favorite, hands down. This smells so delicious. I love the 2005 and 2006 versions, but this blows me away.

It is highly sweet – white sugar, caramelized sugar but there’s something else that that’s taking it beyond any of the others that I’ve tried. It’s almost like incense, or maybe something I remember from Anaconda. Whatever it is, it’s fucking amazing. It reminds me a bit of sugared flowers – like Faith or Pink Moon 07. I think it’s that white sugar note which was overwhelmed in years past (or at least '05 and '06) with the caramel and burnt sugar. I can’t smell any of fruit. It’s good, I don’t want to – I just want to keep smelling the incense and sugar.

Multiple bottle purchase for sure.

I make an angel food cake that I always make a special frosting for it that consists of sugar and karo syrup. It boils on low for about seven minutes until a very thin spidery web of carmalized syrup drips off the spoon. It is the yummiest smell in the world. That is what this year's Sugar Skull smells like to me. I have already gone back and ordered seconds. Now, I can have the cake without the calories! :P

Holy crap, GR... looks like I'm stalking you :P

Did we just both decide to wear the same BPALs at the same time or somethin'?

On to it: (I have the 2006 version on hand)

I keep thinking I've just found my lemming - and now I have a freekin' marathon run of 'em going!! SUGAR SKULL... MUST HAVE MAOR!!!

I really didn't think that I would like it... so I've AVOIDED it since it's debut :D WTF is WRONG WITH ME?!? I didn't even try a DECANT, I was so sure I wouldn't like it!!! And now, it is freakin' top of the damn pops over here. Thanks to my swell pal MARLENA, I am on the path of righteousness mit der erls! (Thanks Tex, you really fixed my shizzle up)!

Sugar Skull blends with my chemistry and turns into the sexiest farkin' beast ever... It is like Smut TURBOMUTHAFARKAAAHH on me but way, waaaaaaayyyyyyy better. I want EVERY year now... and the soap... and I want to see a Sugar Skull TEE... oh... my LIFE FOR THE SKULL!!! GIMMMMMMEEEEEHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Grabbing my bottle for the MEATY portion of the review (please be patient w/my drooling and inability to express my love in words, here):

HOT DAMN, I lurve those '06 witch labels!!! That thar's some good art schtuff, lil' missy M. (And of course, I hear Alien Sex Fiend, "Bubble! Bubble! Toil and Trouble!!")

ItB: Like BROWN SUGAR and BOOOOOZE bubbling on the stove... (I'm salivating... really).

Wet on skin: Smokey and the Bandit! Wow! Smokey brown sugar, caramel candy, dark rum, a little fruit (steeped in the booze, 'natch)...

Drydown: This baby has throw like a Judo mastaaahhhh! Ooof! When it mellows out a little, it's like a smokey, shugahpie incense that makes you smack your lips everytime you catch a whiff... And it plays soooooooo nice with my skin's scent. After a while, it's like "me", but "I just naturally smell like you want to ravage me and bite chunks out of my flesh!"

5/5... I think the DH wants me to dump the whole bottle in my lingerie drawer :D

I got a decant of the '07 version to try since i recall not liking the '06 version ... and the '07 version is just like the '06 unfortunately. Burnt sugar with a sort of heavy dark maple in the background. Too heavy and sharp for me.

Bottle: Brown sugar. Makes me hungry! :P

Wet: Brown sugar, much like Gluttony, but less. :D My husband immediately said, "Huh, burnt sugar perfume?"

Drydown: This is a very good foodie scent, for those of us that like to smell like food. And I do. I will probably seek out a bigger bottle in the future, but will be happy to sniff at my imp.

4.0 outta 5.0

My first true stomach turning reaction to bpal. ungh

On me this smells of sharp bug spray. Also like a really bad perfume I wore in the 80's that had no sugar notes in it at all and I wish i remembered the name. It was awful!

I really wanted to love this because who doesn't want to smell all homey and yummy like pancakes and syrup? But noooo.. I huffed from my wrist until my eyes crossed and underneath I could smell maybe a little bit of the syrup but then I had to scrub it off. I can't seem to get it off. help.....

Verdict. maybe when it ages it loses the bugspray thing on me? I hope so but I think I'm doubting it.

Got my decant of the '07 Sugar Skull and it was the most blissful experience I've ever experienced.

In the imp: It smells just like creme brulee goodness. All caramelized sugar and sweetness. Just yum.

Wet on skin: My nose was glued to my wrist on the way to work tonight. It still has the sugary goodness to it.

Dry: It must be love because it's musky yet still sweet. And I'm a sucker for a good scent that turns musky on drydown.

Conclusion: Better buy a bottle before this one goes buh-bye!

(This is the 2007 version.) This doesn't change much from imp to wet to dry on me: VERY brown sugar-y. Thankfully, it's nicer than the 2006 version, which went absolutely nasty burnt caramel buttery ick on me. Or else my chemistry has changed from last year, which is also possible. But in any case - brown sugar. And it pretty much stays brown sugar. Not cooked brown sugar - not caramel. Just like sticking your head in a bag of brown sugar and taking a whiff. It smells like that spoonful of brown sugar I always sneak when I'm baking cookies tastes. I get just the tiniest hint of berry or fruit lurking underneath a great big pile of brown sugar.

It's actually very nice, if you like brown sugar. I like to eat it, but I've discovered, not really to smell like it. It could be an intriguing room scent, though. And if you like this kind of foodiness, I bet you'll like this year's Sugar Skull.

Just received in my 'weenies order. I had such high hopes for this!

Bottle: sweet, maple sugar-y. It made me miss Michigan in the fall just a bit (and also made me nervous to put it on).

Wet: Normally the foodie scents do pretty well on me. I expected this to be brilliant as the sweet foodies seem to just love me. No. I smelt like... some crazy old lady's bakery gone mad. And with such throw! Oh, my. I've never had a BPAL with so much throw.

Drydown: Becoming more and more perfumey and just... pungent. There is a definite undertone that I want to pull out from under the crazy bakery smell, but it just sharpens and sharpens. Must. wash. Off.

so very, very sad. This is most certainly not a winner for me.

2007 version:

Bottle: Maple sugar!

Wet: This smells like strong, thick maple syrup.

Dry: It mellows down to brown sugar and caramel. I can't really pick out the fruit, but there is an undertone that keeps it from being too sharp, and gives kind of a roundness to it, if that makes sense. I really like this blend, it's really rich and indulgent smelling.

2007 version.

In the imp: sugar.

Wet and drydown: white sugar, brown sugar, maple sugar, caramel...treacle? This has a smoky undernote that makes me think of Bonfire Night.

Have one bottle already, think I may need more.

In the imp, this is too much for me - I almost couldn't stand it. Tenatively, I tried it on anyway, and after a moment of diabetic shock, it smoothed out ointo a maple-y, sugary, sweet foodie deliciousness, with a creamy sort of undertone. While I love it on it's own, it sweetens up and slightly ramps down the OMGPUMPKIN of the pumpkins I ordered. May have to buy two bottles of this stuff.

5/5

IN THE BOTTLE: I can smell sugar with some sort of chemical note that's kind of unpleasant but I decide to try this on anyway.

INITIALLY ON SKIN: Definitely a nice sugar smell to this but I still smell that chemical undertone.

ON DRYDOWN: The longer I wear this, the better it smells! As it warms up on my skin, the chemical scent goes away entirely and this smells like sugar cookies baking in the oven! Definitely excellent!

I have tried this one nearly every time it's come out, and each time it just doesn't work for me. It's obviously something I would love to love, but it wears very heavily on my skin and kind of turns my stomach over time. This year's is a little softer, somehow, and a bit fruitier, but still very heavy on me in the end.

2007 version. In the bottle, pure creamy delicious caramel.

On my skin: I smell exactly like a shop we visited when we were in England two years ago- a shop that sold English-style fudge, and nothing at all besides fudge. (For you Americans, English fudge is not only chocolate- there are dozens of different flavours added to the basic. non-chocolate recipe). It's hot sugar, caramel, something rich and creamy like butter. I do love this so much, except smelling it makes me crave sweets. I don't think that will stop me from wearing it, though!

4.5/5

Edited by lilirose

I just dug out an imp of 2005 Sugar Skull because, you know, it's that time of year. I don't think it's changed much as it's aged. On me this is caramelizing sugar, slightly burnt sugar - in a good way. Very, very sweet. Sugar overload. Not what I want to smell like, personally, but it would be delish if you love the foodie smells.

bottle: maple syrup, buttery toffee, melty caramel and gooey marshmallow. the smell alone is making my teeth ache!

wet: there's is the faintest hint of spices behind the sugar, like those in cookies or cakes set out to cool at the back of the candy shop. other than that, this is pure sugary goodness! it smells like toffee hard candy. wonderful!

dry: there's a bit more spiciness with a yummy caramel scent. this has a warm, homey aroma that makes me want to go bake up some more cookies and halloween snacks. a definite yum.

'07 version: I don't know whether my skin is acting up or what, but tonight Sugar Skull's smelling like those candy bananas that I remember from trick-or-treating. A bag would have fake lemons, limes, cherries, grapes... and bananas, which were always my least favorite. It's like brown sugar with artificial banana. I remember trying the decant on before and thinking that it just smelled strongly sugary, and it does smell better before it hits my skin, but I still don't know what to think. :P

ETA: the actual comments to myself from the previous try were: "Sugars... fruits... candies... candles?!"

Edited by melange

I had to get the nerve to try this on my skin - the sugar smell from the bottle was so strong. I thought it was like smelling vanilla extract straight from the bottle.

My husband said - yummy - when he smelled it out of the bottle. I was not so sure. Of course, I accidentally got the oil on the tip of my nose last night, so all i smelled was warm sugar for hours - not so bad.

Tried it this morning on the skin. It goes from burnt sugar to warm sugar to maple syrup on my skin. I never got any spices.

It reminded me of early spring in New England when the maple syrup is being made and you can go to Sugar Shacks and get brand new freshly tapped maple syrup. The process makes the whole house smell like this oil.

A great smell, just not for me to wear - it would make a great house smell. DH loves the smell on me. Can't stop sniffing. Daughter likes it too.

Limited Edition, Halloweenies 2007

Really quite disgusting in the bottle. It makes me sick to my stomach like 'Eat Me' and 'Drink Me' did at first. Seeing as 'Miskatonic University' and 'Beaver Moon' do the same, I'm say it's the sugary creamy vanilla that does it to me. Which is bad as it's lovely when it settles down. I don't get any fruits from this until a few hours after applying and even then it's just a vague crispness after a deep wiff of sugar. The most outstanding smell I get is maple syrup or golden syrup which is why this one scores so highly with me - i LOVE maple syrup! I want to eat my arms!

Conclusion; Not an everyday as it is far too overpowering. It's more of a date perfume or something to wear outside to cover bad smells (maybe one for uni as acrylics smell nasty).

9/10. Could have better fruit notes, and a little less creamyness but I love it and after an hour together, it loves me back. And whoh BABY, does this sugar have staying power.

Note; A dot of this when applying Miskatonic University makes for some extra arm eating. Sweet milky coffee!

The first thing I smell is a strong, overwhelming waft of...well...rancid butter :P

There's a hint of sugar underneath it, but seriously, this is kind of nasty on me. I don't seem to be having much success with my October purchases. :D

Smells like lightly burnt sugar. Takes a while for the fruit to come out, but it does. Is there a hint of cinnamon in this? I know there shouldn't be, but it smells faintly spicey. I was worried about how I'd react to this one, as one of my friends described it as smelling like maple syrup. Luckily, it doesn't on me.

Caramel covered apples! Or maybe.. apple crisp pancakes with syrup. This doesn't so much smell like sugar as it does toffe.. or caramel or.. maple syrup. It has a touch of something else, I get apple out of it. It smells like a bakery.. a bakery where really yummy autumn type desserts are being made. I will keep my imp and enjoy it, though I don't think a bottle is required. This smells almost edible.

Sugar Skull 2007

I got to try this thanks to the lovely evilmistressoftoast. Thanks so much!

I wouldn't have thought of it myself, but those who say this is more of a 'white sugar' scent got it right. I've also worn the 2005 version and that seems a little more like 'brown sugar'. They are very similar, the new one has the same complexities and layers, and the spirit of the scent is the same. It's just kind of....updated, maybe?

The difference, to me, is that the newer one seems a little more feminine. And from memory, the 2005 version has a hint of spiciness that the newer one doesn't have.