Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Vibrant with the joy and sweetness of life in death! A blend of five sugars, lightly dusted with candied fruits.

Maple Syrup on me!
I think I'll have to swap this,
Because I can't stand maple syrup you see,
And it's not Beth that I'm tryin' to Diss,
Just Maple syrup....
This, for others, probably was a HIT, on me it was a MISS!
But, on me, it was, because I think it makes me wanna throwup.

That was me trying to be poetic about this. Sucked didn't it? :P

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but warm brown sugar and maple syrup really is the best way to describe this burnished SWEEET sweet sugary fragrance. At first I found it impossible to wear, but I've found that the tiniest dab layers beautifully with spicy scents like Three Witches to add a base of foody sweetness. This discovery has made me very pleased that I got a bottle of this -- sometimes, when the mood strikes, a little bit of sticky sugar hits the spot!

:P

Pancakes and incense!!

I'm too busy giggling to decide if I like this one or not.  I'll have to give it another try because right now all I can think of is IHHOP.....International Hippie House of Pancakes!  :D

that is exactly what it smells like to me. :P :D it turns to maple syrup on my skin, which isn't as surprising as when midwinter's eve did that, but it still isn't anything i could wear every day. unfortunately, i'm just not much on foody scents. when i opened up the bottle, i could smell very light fruit and sugar. i could totally overdose on this if i wanted to. i'm sure someone out there could appreciate this much more than i could, so i'm going to swap it.

oh sugar skull, can't we just be friends?

i get the brown sugar/maple thing, but its overwhelmed by cinnamon. i can even smell cinnamon in the bottle, and when it hits my skin there's no room for anything else. after an hour or so it resembles nothing so much as cinnamon potpourri :P

it does last a long time, tho!

Maple syrup or brown sugar, but not as dark. I completely expected this to be sickly, my least favorite of the Halloween LE's. Boy, was I wrong. This is lovely, and has a gorgeous bright candied sparkle to it. It's a pick-me-up scent, and I'm truly marvelling at it's uniqueness.

Holy god.

Why do I have to fall in love with a LE scent? It's so...cruel. *sob*

I was worried, when reading the description, that it would be too sweet for me. I mean, five sugars with candied fruits. That's an awful lot o' sweetness, ne? But my fears proved to be unfounded, because smelling Sugar Skull was like opening up a sunbaked bag of brown sugar and taking a long heavenly whiff. There was fruitiness there, very faintly in the background, enough to give a very slight tartness to even out the flat sweetness of sugar.

And lucky me-- when slathered on my wrists, it seems that Sugar Skull likes me well enough to smell pretty much exactly like it does in the bottle. Maybe the fruit is just a touch stronger, but not much. It's still the same wonderful scent and it stays pretty much the same as it dries on me.

I guess I lucked out on this one-- a shame I didn't get a large bottle. I don't know what I'll do when my imp runs out.

I was glad to get this as a swap (thanks fire-in-cairo!) because I'd long wanted to compare it to dia de los muertos. On me, dia is almost all brown sugar/maple syrup, so for awhile I'd thought I'd got sugar skull by accident.

I hadn't.

these two are very similiar on me, but this is much a purer brown sugar note on me. When I first opened the bottle I also smelled a nice light fruit/floral, but on the skin, it is almost pure brown sugar. That said, after about 1/2 hour, there was just a slight funk to it...meaning it turned a bit odd, almost like overripe fruit under the sugar. But that was, luckily, a very light note.

I don't think I'd wear this out, but I wear dia at night...I find the scent comforting to sleep too, so I imagine I'll do the same with Sugar Skull.

Oh, Sugar Skull, how to I love thee?

Maple Sugar. Carmelised Sugar. Delicious in the bottle. Droolingly good on my skin.

I'm so glad I have a bottle of this; I think I'm going to look for an extra, too!

Initial Sniff: Carmelized bown sugar and maple syrup. Sticky toothache sweet.

Wearing: I don't get much maple on my skin, just slightly burnt brown sugar. Surprisingly, I really like this!

Final Impressions: I'm really shocked by how much I like wearing this perfume. It lasts all day long too, which is nice. This layers really well with MMU's Brown Sugar Pie lotion.

In the bottle (Bottle!! Yay for bottles!): Candied fruits!!! dead on, candied blood oranges and orange blossoms to be exact, but not dry candied fruits, but moist and still dripping with hot turbinado sugar syrup!!!!! A scent that throws to fill the room just likecandied fruits bubbling away on the stove would fill the house with a delicious sweet floral candy smell!!!! And the thrown scent has a bit of juicy caramel apple!!!! This is frikkin fabulous and I haven't even tried it on yet! ::Joyous leaping:: I love you Beth!!!!

Dabbed on my fingers: ::tearing up with joy:: Wow! Beth, you've managed to give me back a little bit of my childhood without all the bad memories.... The scent stays true to the bottle yet the scents of hot fruited sugar melds so perfectly with my natural scent that it's me, my natural scent, but, younger... Less cynical...Better. This is what children smell like before life teaches them awful things and takes bits of their innocence away. I feel like this scent is giving me a hug... It's one of those scents that will take you back to a comforting place, or even smooth over the uncomfortable bumps in your memory. It's innocence in a bottle, but it warms with your skin and amps up its throw as you move so in the right circumstances this is a lickably sexy scent. At any rate I'm glad that I have two more bottles of this on the way because I never want to run out!!!!

Beth, please bring this back, I've checked the poles, and I know that this scent didn't rate very high with most, but I've rarely if ever been brought to tears of joy by a scent before today, and, today it's happened twice, and both times with your LE scents. If I could ask you to change one thing it would be to put this in a much bigger bottle and make it part of the permanent collection. That's two things isn't it??? Oh well.... :D :P :D

I :D Sugar Skull

im not a very experienced reviewer, but i have to say that while wearing this oil, i smelled a very maple syruppy note, with a buttery undertone, sort of like what one would get with a big stack of pancakes with real maple syrup and butter.

Yep, pancakes all the way. I lurve eating them but I don't want a smell like em!

I don't know if I love this scent, but I really really like it. its definatly not an everyday kind of scent to me though.

In the bottle it smells very sweet and delicious. I love it, like a bowl full of brown sugar.

On it gets the burnt smell, which is at first kinda unpleasant, but it turns into a delicious creme brule smell on me. its quite nice.

a friend said it smelled like syrup, but I never really got that. all I think if is creme brule and it makes me want some!

I'm almost embarrassed to admit how reluctant I was to buy this. I had it in my head that this would be light and sugary and pastel, like Aquolina's Pink Sugar. How sweet would it be? How fruity? It actually sounded a little commercial and one-dimensional. (Beth's later description of it being like warm brown sugar helped put my mind at ease, and any reluctance I had disappeared completely when SS finally arrived.)

My first application of Sugar Skull yielded a pure maple syrup scent--though I was wearing it to the LSCV Fire Department pancake breakfast, so mabe I just had syrup on my mind. Subsequent applications revealed the deeper side of Sugar Skull--a carmelized almost to the point of burnt side. (Mr Gin once told me I smelled like coffee candy.) Never any of the candied fruits, but I'm OK with that. The syrupy, carmelizing-sugar scent is divine. I'm *SO* glad I bought this. (And for any fans of Pink Sugar, Sugar Skull works quite well with it.)

First sniff: Holy sugar coma, Batman! Wow. Sugar Skull smells like the best part of Gluttony – that amazing thick, rich, gooey sweet. I quite literally had to wipe my mouth when I put the cap back on the vial.

Wearing: Oh yeah. Rich, warm, caramel-gooey. I LOVE this.

Thanks to Astrid, I have an imp of this to try, yea! :P

First sniff from the bottle -MMmm, brown sugar!

After 10 minutes- This is the true sent of sugar. Sweet, but not too heavy. I smell white sugar and brown sugar. It almost has an ozone element to it...like sugar on air.

After 30 minutes- Now I am detecting a light fruity note to this. Is it star fruit maybe? Mango? Like a sweet Mexican yellow fruit dribbled over sugar.

Summery- Sugar Skull is a pleasant, refreshing surprise. Sweet without being sickly sweet, soft, light and airy.

Yay! Quantum Spice gave me a lurvly bottle of this! <3

Buttery, carmelized sugar. No fruits - definately get the "buttered pancakes" vibe from this. I worked at a breakfast restaurant for a while, and I would come home smelling like a meaty, less pretty version of this. I adore it! Yay!

It made me so hungry that I made carmelized pears with caramel sauce and raspberry topping! <3 <3 <3

Initial Sniff: Holy sweetness, Batman! This smells like a sticky sweet maple syrup candy.

On my skin: This is very strong initially. It smells like brown sugar mixed with melted butter.

After 1 hour: Maple syrup, pure Vermont Maple syrup. People keep asking if I spilled syrup on myself :P

Final verdict: This is a lovely scent, just not me. Although I do like foody scents, this was just a bit too foody. :D

Brown sugar all the way. Maybe if you got out a graham cracker, put some maple syrup on it, and then sprinkled brown sugar all over the maple syrup, this is what it would smell like. Edible, dark, and most importantly, doesn't give me a headache like most of the super-sweet white sugar scents. Yum! I like to dab a tiny drop on my hair scrunchy so it gets all in my hair and I can smell it every time I turn my head. The caramel comes out more when I dab it on clothing rather than skin. *sigh* Definitely getting more of it comes out again next year.

I got an imp of this today, thanks to a swap with anshara.

As soon as I applied it, I swear I had a physical sugar rush without eating any! I was dancing around the kitchen, cooking and cleaning.

I don't know what I think. Part of it reminds me of Hearth, and I think that's just the smokiness that people have talked about.

My husband, sitting three feet away on the couch, could only smell smoke, and no sweetness. That was a little strange.

I'm not sure I would wear this on a regular basis, but I don't really have any sugary sweet scents for those kind of days. And we all have those days, don't we?

I've been loving Sugar Skull since day one, but I wanted to mention that last night I tried an imp of Gluttony that a friend sent me and Gluttony is super close to Sugar Skull. So that said, if you can't get your mitts on some of the 'Skull or are running out, try Gluttony. Mmmmm mmmm!

I deeply regret only ordering one bottle of this.

I've found that Sugar Skull is heavier than some of the other scents (maybe it's my chemistry?) but still smells delightful. Everytime I've worn this my collegues keep asking about it - one even went so far to tell me off for wearing it as she kept wanting to eat pancakes!

It reminds me of eating home made waffles on Sunday mornings when I was a little girl, with a healthy amount of my mum's 'grown up' maple syrup. Very sweet and warm and full of syrupy goodness.

Hoping this one will available to order again *fingers crossed*

I bought this off a generous forumite, but to my surprise, my skin sucks it up so fast I could barely smell it on me it all. No one else seems to have had this problem! Damnit.

At first it was mostly cinnamon with a touch of maple syrup, and then a very light maple/brown sugar scent. It was gorgeous, but I really couldn't smell it at all unless my nose was shoved up against my wrist.

Off it goes, hopefully to be bought by someone with more normal skin chemistry.

From the bottle to my skin and beyond, all I smell is maple syrup.

Its like sickly sweet pancakes- not a good thing for me.

Eh..they can’t all be winners…off to the swap pile.

I was a bit dubious of this at first as in the bottle there was a slight tang of rancid butter in the background, but on it's pure sugar, molten toffee is the best way I can think of to describe it, I only wish it lasted a bit longer on me - I have only about an hours worth of scent from it.

Unfortunately, I too got pure maple syrup from this scent. It's not for me, though I'm glad I got a chance to try this. Off to swaps.