Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ivytoad

International Shipping Info+Questions

Does shipping for TAL cost the same as BPAL? I emailed TAL and I got no reply. Is the $13 shipping global priority mail? If Im not wrong, isnt it $11 and not $13? Also can I have it shipped airmail instead because I wont be ordering so many. It doesnt make sense for me to pay so much shipping for a few items!

Hi, I've ordered TAL before from Australia and the shipping rate is also $13 for up to 12 bottles. I think the Lab's $13 shipping rate includes a very reasonable $1 handling fee, as the price of the USPS international priority flat rate envelope is $12.

For the four years that I've been a BPAL customer, they have always used global priority mail to ship to Australia. I recall reading somewhere that the Lab prefers this method as too many packages go missing with regular airmail. I don't think you would save much at all with regular airmail versus the flat rate global priority envelope.

Does shipping for TAL cost the same as BPAL? I emailed TAL and I got no reply. Is the $13 shipping global priority mail? If Im not wrong, isnt it $11 and not $13? Also can I have it shipped airmail instead because I wont be ordering so many. It doesnt make sense for me to pay so much shipping for a few items!

Hi, I've ordered TAL before from Australia and the shipping rate is also $13 for up to 12 bottles. I think the Lab's $13 shipping rate includes a very reasonable $1 handling fee, as the price of the USPS international priority flat rate envelope is $12.

For the four years that I've been a BPAL customer, they have always used global priority mail to ship to Australia. I recall reading somewhere that the Lab prefers this method as too many packages go missing with regular airmail. I don't think you would save much at all with regular airmail versus the flat rate global priority envelope.

The global priority envelope costs $11. I just checked. Besides I've ordered from other etailers and I always pay $11.

Honestly, I think regular airmail will be cheaper if Im ordering 2 or 3 bottles. It's ridiculous to send so few bottles in a huge envelope. I've had airmail and global priority mail sent to me and I've not noticed any difference. No faster delivery time or lost mail. I think global priority can get lost too.

Anyway I'm still waiting for a reply from TAL.

Edited by faeriedust

The global priority envelope costs $11. I just checked. Besides I've ordered from other etailers and I always pay $11.

Honestly, I think regular airmail will be cheaper if Im ordering 2 or 3 bottles. It's ridiculous to send so few bottles in a huge envelope. I've had airmail and global priority mail sent to me and I've not noticed any difference. No faster delivery time or lost mail. I think global priority can get lost too.

The lab will not send it by airmail, because they had so many parcels get damaged and lost in transit. (Mainly I think it was the damage.) And if the shipping itself costs $11 it's sure to cost the lab more than that to send stuff out! The cost of the mailer and bubblewrap for a start, but also the time it takes to physically send it out - the lab has staff costs too.

If it's really stressing you out, you can post an ISO in the wanted forum and see if a forumite can send you some (you'd have better luck with decants, but might be able to get bottles) and they would be ok with sending it via airmail.

The lab will not send it by airmail, because they had so many parcels get damaged and lost in transit. (Mainly I think it was the damage.) And if the shipping itself costs $11 it's sure to cost the lab more than that to send stuff out! The cost of the mailer and bubblewrap for a start, but also the time it takes to physically send it out - the lab has staff costs too.

If it's really stressing you out, you can post an ISO in the wanted forum and see if a forumite can send you some (you'd have better luck with decants, but might be able to get bottles) and they would be ok with sending it via airmail.

:P

Yes, even if the global priority envelope is $11, a handling fee of $2 to include packing materials and staff time to do the packing and shipping of orders is still very reasonable. And since the Lab has had problems with regular airmail and will no longer use it, I think the dzurlady's advice is excellent: you probably should post in the "Wanted" section for bottles or decants of the TALs you want, and work out with the offering forumites an airmail arrangement.

no offense. I've ordered from other small etailers and they use lotsa bubble wrap and they dont charge a handling fee. Since I paid this much for an order, I shouldnt have to pay an extra handling fee. Besides Im sure bpal is earning enough profit to sustain it's business. Not like they need to charge handling fee to cover their costs. oops. *waits to be attacked*

I did post in the wanted section. Since global priority is the only way to go, I guess I'll just try to do a group order. *sigh*

Edited by faeriedust

no offense. I've ordered from other small etailers and they use lotsa bubble wrap and they dont charge a handling fee. Since I paid this much for an order, I shouldnt have to pay an extra handling fee. Besides Im sure bpal is earning enough profit to sustain it's business. Not like they need to charge handling fee to cover their costs. oops. *waits to be attacked*

I did post in the wanted section. Since global priority is the only way to go, I guess I'll just try to do a group order. *sigh*

I'm not going to attack you about your opinion, although I do not share it (although I agree that it is sad that shipping does cost that much) because ultimately it is your money and I fully believe that you should spend it only when comfortable about doing so. I will however ask why you bothered to say 'no offence'. If you think your post will be offensive and you do not wish to give offence, change it; if you wish to say exactly what you said, stand by it. A disclaimer will not remove offence if you have caused any; it is not a conversational get out of jail free card. (This is, although I am sure you did not realise it, one of my biggest conversational annoyances.)

I wish you luck with your group order, and hope it goes smoothly for you.

I'm not going to attack you about your opinion, although I do not share it (although I agree that it is sad that shipping does cost that much) because ultimately it is your money and I fully believe that you should spend it only when comfortable about doing so. I will however ask why you bothered to say 'no offence'. If you think your post will be offensive and you do not wish to give offence, change it; if you wish to say exactly what you said, stand by it. A disclaimer will not remove offence if you have caused any; it is not a conversational get out of jail free card. (This is, although I am sure you did not realise it, one of my biggest conversational annoyances.)

I wish you luck with your group order, and hope it goes smoothly for you.

Thanks. Although I doubt it because Im ordering full sizes only.

You should have been around for the USPS postal hikes. It WAS costing $23 to send overseas.

So $13 isn't bad at all. I'm in Canada and it's $11 and I'm more than happy to pay that after the Labbies were kind enough to look into shipping costs and lower it to that after the original hike to $18.

Sure it's not worth it if you're only going to order 1 or 2 bottles, that is why I wait until I know I want 5 or more before placing an order.

ISO posts will help you get what you're looking for for cheaper shipping if it's only a couple of items, BUT if it gets lost in transit (and it does happen, maybe not often, but it does) that person can't replace what you paid for. Whereas the Lab, does replace lost or broken items in your order. :P

First, I don't think your post is offensive at all, nor do I see how it could be construed that way.

I'd just like you to realize that, while the Lab is a small business, it is not a one-person operation like some other on-line retailers. The Lab maintains a staff with salaries, medical benefits, sick leave, etc. I happen to think that this justifies a small handling fee per order, in addition to any sales profits. I'm very happy to pay this if it helps the Lab to continue growing and expanding and developing Beth's creative vision.

Speaking of damage all but one of my Lab parcels has had the outer envelope ripped open, sometimes several inches. I can't imagine how this happens as the outer envelope is cardboard-y, albeing thin. It scares me because the box inside has nothing on it to identify either sender or receiver.

As to the postage I *ADORE* the Lab's charges because I have lamented for years the costs of living away from the Land of Consumer Heaven when it comes to postal charges. They are very reasonable. I have also ordered 3 bottles at a time (hoarding fever post lunacy order) and I just divide the International postal cost by 3 and add it to the price of the bottles. Would I pay for the bottles if they were that cost initially? Yes, yes I would.. (and so I enable myself..)

I'd just like you to realize that, while the Lab is a small business, it is not a one-person operation like some other on-line retailers. The Lab maintains a staff with salaries, medical benefits, sick leave, etc. I happen to think that this justifies a small handling fee per order, in addition to any sales profits. I'm very happy to pay this if it helps the Lab to continue growing and expanding and developing Beth's creative vision.

Well said :P I tend to think of it in terms of pounds - $13 is roughly £6.50. That's to ship a box (not an envelope), which can be quite heavy with bottles, three thousand miles to my front door. That's not bad going!

My favourite computer parts retailer, who are UK based, charge nearly twice that much to ship.

Not to mention the comparison between BPAL and "store" perfume.

My last BPAL order: $175 = £90 including shipping. That's for seven bottles and two Imp packs of six scents each.

A bottle of Calvin Klein = £45 for a single bottle, not including shipping. Guess which one I'd rather buy?

Going back to faeriedust's original post: It's your money! If you don't want to spend it on a handling fee that's fine :D There are the swap forums, the ISO forum, and lots of livejournal groups for buying second-hand smellies.

I just wanted to query quickly before I make my first order. I should add $13 to the price for shipping to the UK? The other thing is, what should I be expecting? I'm only ordering 12 imps but there usually isn't anyone home and I wondered if it was likely to make it through the letterbox.

Silly, I know.

Thanks much for the help peeps.

expect a box in a big envelope. box will be about the size of 3 stacked DVDs. i.e. it won't go through your letterbox....i suspect you will get home to find a card....

expect a box in a big envelope. box will be about the size of 3 stacked DVDs. i.e. it won't go through your letterbox....i suspect you will get home to find a card....

As I suspected, but nice to know. I can probably arrange for it to be delivered somewhere else, based on that description.

Thank you!

Yep, the box itself is slightly bigger than a VHS video box (boy, now I feel old) and that is wrapped in a large card envelope. Put a different delivery address on PayPal. :P

Re. your previous question, just add $13 to the total oil price when you send the PayPal :D I usually put "UK Order - Yule & Halloween" (or whatever) in the Subject field as well. Don't know if it helps, but oh well!

Hi, newbie here

I'm thinking of placing my first order, but I'm hoping that some other UK people could let me know whether I will have to pay import VAT, charges etc on the parcel.

I know that the Post Office charges a hefty admin fee if there's anything to pay at all (I've been caught in the past buying things from cafe press) so I'm trying to work out whether it's better to place a bigger order and hope to save on postage, place a small order and hope to avoid customs charges or whether it's not an issue.

Thanks

BlueSage

I've made 8-odd orders, ranging from 2 bottles ($45-worth with postage) to a $185 order. I've never got charged for anything, no VAT or customs charges, and my parcels have never been stopped.

I know 8 orders isn't a huge amount, but I think as the boxes are quite small they're less likely to get stopped.

Hope this helps :P

That's really useful as I've been wondering about the same thing, thanks Jenesis!

They get delivered by Royal Mail when they reach the UK, don't they? So no ParcelForce or anything? Just wondering what to expect...

I HAVE been caught out with Inland Revenue fees, but never with a package sent by the Lab. It should just be delivered as per normal by your postman. Mine comes with the regular round blokey - then again we have problems with the van driver (he doesn't turn up most of the time and leaves the cards for the regular bloke to put through the door), so I think the regular round postie just brings them anyway for that reason.

You SHOULD be okay. The Lab are very good with their parcelling and customs declaring. My last order from them was for 37 bottles and that was delivered with no problem at all.

Yep, the orders are delivered by Royal Mail... whether that's a good thing or not is up to you :P I've never had to pick up a BPAL parcel from the depot though as they put our post in the porch, not through the letterbox.

I'v never been charged anything either, and also..I've never had to go to the depot to pick up a delivery.

I would say I have a normal sized letterbox and the parcels always fit through...

My depot is so far away I think I would cry if I got a card and not the ACTUAL precioussss lol.

Ouch

My depot's only a 20 minute walk on a bad day - but it's the principle of the thing. *lol* I DO get annoyed when I know it's just because the van driver couldn't be bothered calling - he's renowned for it round here. If I'm actually not in that's one thing, but I HATE missing BPAL deliveries through no fault of my own. The delay is HIGHLY irritating! :P

Thanks everyone -- that's reassuring to know. Now I just have to decide what I want... it's very tempting to keep adding just a few more imps