Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ivytoad

International Shipping Info+Questions

This is my first BPAL order since the increase in the shipping rates and suprisingly it was shipped via DHL (which is :joy: ) instead of USPS. This justifies the 34 USD shipping charge and at least i know DHL will deliver it to me unlike USPS shipments that get lost half of the time.

I wasn't sure which thread to ask this in, but I think it can be put into this one. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if deliveries to a business address don't have to pay customs fees? I'm in the UK and more often than not my BPAL packages are expensive enough to qualify for customs charges. However there is only one time I've ever paid a customs charge and that was when I accidentally used my home address rather than my work address.

So does anyone know if business addresses have a different set of rules? I've tried to find out but I can't seem to find anything.

This is my first BPAL order since the increase in the shipping rates and suprisingly it was shipped via DHL (which is :joy: ) instead of USPS. This justifies the 34 USD shipping charge and at least i know DHL will deliver it to me unlike USPS shipments that get lost half of the time.

I have to say I am loving the new DHL shipping for internationals as well! It's so fast, and I love that it tells me the date it's going to get here.

I wasn't sure which thread to ask this in, but I think it can be put into this one. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if deliveries to a business address don't have to pay customs fees? I'm in the UK and more often than not my BPAL packages are expensive enough to qualify for customs charges. However there is only one time I've ever paid a customs charge and that was when I accidentally used my home address rather than my work address.

So does anyone know if business addresses have a different set of rules? I've tried to find out but I can't seem to find anything.

From my own experience, the one time I shipped something not BPAL from the US (via UPS or FedEx though, I can't remember which one exactly) to my work address there was a customs fee which was sent to my head office instead (and could have gotten me in trouble had they not been so understanding).

I've also recently had to pay fees for signage at my work which is never supposed to happen (in 9 yrs Ive never had to hand over cash for this). Turns out other locations had this happen as well.

USPS is different from UPS/FedEx (who always slap on customs fees) and now that the Lab has using DHL I don't know their policies but long story short I wanted you to know you can get hit with fees at a business.

Edited by sarandipitee

I have never had to pay fees (I get everything sent to my home address) even when I make a Lab order large enough to get free shipping. Now I'm worried, have I just been lucky? I have made numerous large order from the Trading Post as well, no fees there either. I did notice that the Trading Post is NOT using DHL now the way the Lab is.

Thanks for letting me know, I was just curious because if business addresses didn't have to pay it that would be an excellent bonus! Well let's hope there's no charges!

Does anyone know whether combined shipping has been abolished for international Etsy and Lab orders? I placed orders via Etsy and the site, expecting to get combined shipping as usual, but both packages have been shipped without mention of a refund for combined shipping. Maybe I'll get an email in a few days' time but just thought I'd check here!

Does anyone know whether combined shipping has been abolished for international Etsy and Lab orders? I placed orders via Etsy and the site, expecting to get combined shipping as usual, but both packages have been shipped without mention of a refund for combined shipping. Maybe I'll get an email in a few days' time but just thought I'd check here!

I am pretty sure they always combine when asked, but I always email them with my order numbers so that it doesn't get missed. Did you specifically ask them to combine? Do they usually just do it without you saying anything? I don't know because I always send an email. That's likely disappointing for you! :( I know how painful international shipping is!

It does sometimes take a couple of days for your refund though, so maybe it's still coming? I combined two Etsy orders and they shipped Thursday and my refund hasn't come through yet.

I have never had to pay fees (I get everything sent to my home address) even when I make a Lab order large enough to get free shipping. Now I'm worried, have I just been lucky? I have made numerous large order from the Trading Post as well, no fees there either. I did notice that the Trading Post is NOT using DHL now the way the Lab is.

I'm quoting myself because right after I said this, we were charged customs fees on a large combined order! I jinxed us. It was only $19, which I hear is pretty low compared to the size of the order, but still, it had never happened before and I was shocked.

I'm quoting myself because right after I said this, we were charged customs fees on a large combined order! I jinxed us. It was only $19, which I hear is pretty low compared to the size of the order, but still, it had never happened before and I was shocked.

Was it on an order shipped with DHL? Based on past experience (my mom orders fabric wholesale from the US), orders shipped courier (UPS/DHL/Fedex/etc) are much more likely to be hit with customs fees than orders shipped USPS. UPS especially also likes to charge a $35 brokerage fee on top of the customs charge (I think Canada Post charges a $5 fee). I wasn't very happy to hear that recent orders were being sent DHL because of this.

Was it on an order shipped with DHL? Based on past experience (my mom orders fabric wholesale from the US), orders shipped courier (UPS/DHL/Fedex/etc) are much more likely to be hit with customs fees than orders shipped USPS. UPS especially also likes to charge a $35 brokerage fee on top of the customs charge (I think Canada Post charges a $5 fee). I wasn't very happy to hear that recent orders were being sent DHL because of this.

I didn't know this at first. I actually WAS happy to see the Lab using DHL because it's so much faster and easier to predict when it'll get here. I've had two orders come through DHL now, both were over $300. First one, no fees, second one, fees. Hope it was a fluke and it won't happen most of the time!

I am pretty sure they always combine when asked, but I always email them with my order numbers so that it doesn't get missed. Did you specifically ask them to combine? Do they usually just do it without you saying anything? I don't know because I always send an email. That's likely disappointing for you! :( I know how painful international shipping is!

It does sometimes take a couple of days for your refund though, so maybe it's still coming? I combined two Etsy orders and they shipped Thursday and my refund hasn't come through yet.

Ah, that must be where I went wrong! With previous orders, the lab has noticed the simultaneous orders and combined the shipping without my saying anything, so I didn't bother emailing them to let them know. Oops :wacko2:

Ah, that must be where I went wrong! With previous orders, the lab has noticed the simultaneous orders and combined the shipping without my saying anything, so I didn't bother emailing them to let them know. Oops :wacko2:

They're pretty awesome about it, I know they try to do it as much as possible, but when they're really busy they may not notice, so I always email them to make sure.

They're pretty awesome about it, I know they try to do it as much as possible, but when they're really busy they may not notice, so I always email them to make sure.

Yeah that was silly of me! What's really amazing is that the packages were shipped the same day I made the order (Friday 3 June) and I got a text from DHL today saying one package will be delivered tomorrow. That's unheard of! But yay :boogie:

I did a google search and read up on all the old (possibly outdated) posts on how many 5mls fit in a small flatrate box (realistically)... and read that as a rule, they don't exceed 20 items but i imagine an item= imp ?

I thought maybe also the box sizes might be different now- so at the risk of sounding silly and asking the same question twice in the span of a few hours/days/months - how many 5ml bottles would realistically (with sufficient, but not excessive) padding, would fit a small flat rate box (frimpage excluded)?

I did a google search and read up on all the old (possibly outdated) posts on how many 5mls fit in a small flatrate box (realistically)... and read that as a rule, they don't exceed 20 items but i imagine an item= imp ?

I thought maybe also the box sizes might be different now- so at the risk of sounding silly and asking the same question twice in the span of a few hours/days/months - how many 5ml bottles would realistically (with sufficient, but not excessive) padding, would fit a small flat rate box (frimpage excluded)?

I don't think the 20 items applies to imps. My largest recent order (around when Lupers were released) was 19 bottles, and there's always a million frimps as well. The Lab packs them so the bottles are all in a row together with bubble wrap around the outside of them. So there is no bubble wrap between bottles, for the most part, but they are packed tightly so they don't rattle around too much. Significantly less would fit in if you wanted to wrap bubble wrap around each individual bottle for added safety. Unfortunately it was recycling day today, so I can't dig back out the box I got this week and see how many I could cram in it to better answer your question. Lol.

I don't think the 20 items applies to imps. My largest recent order (around when Lupers were released) was 19 bottles, and there's always a million frimps as well. The Lab packs them so the bottles are all in a row together with bubble wrap around the outside of them. So there is no bubble wrap between bottles, for the most part, but they are packed tightly so they don't rattle around too much. Significantly less would fit in if you wanted to wrap bubble wrap around each individual bottle for added safety. Unfortunately it was recycling day today, so I can't dig back out the box I got this week and see how many I could cram in it to better answer your question. Lol.

Ah, yes i think maybe 6 imps= 1 item aha. Was your 19-bottle order presented in a small flat rate box perchance? ;D

Oh it's a shame about recycling day! I should have written this yesterday :(

Ah, yes i think maybe 6 imps= 1 item aha. Was your 19-bottle order presented in a small flat rate box perchance? ;D

Yes it was a small flat rate box, that's what I've always received from the Lab.

Yes it was a small flat rate box, that's what I've always received from the Lab.

aha! well this helps a little! I wonder if the packaging is more padded with international orders :/ hmm

I didn't know this at first. I actually WAS happy to see the Lab using DHL because it's so much faster and easier to predict when it'll get here. I've had two orders come through DHL now, both were over $300. First one, no fees, second one, fees. Hope it was a fluke and it won't happen most of the time!

Technically the bulk of the fees is taxes, which is...meh, but since there's tax on pretty much everything I've just kind of mentally accepted it as the norm, and look at those times I don't get charged as the fluke. ;)

I'm in Australia. Order placed on 4 July and shipped on 7 July. Moved with lightning speed (watching its progress by checking the USPS tracking number was fun!) to Melbourne, Australia. The most recent notification shows that it left Melbourne early morning on 11 July, so nearly four business days ago. I THINK Australia Post handle USPS packages once they arrive in Australia, so I'm not surprised the journey from Melbourne to me is taking longer than from the US to Australia, LOL.

Hi, I don't know if this is the right place for this but here goes. I browsed around and searched the forum for a guide on how to sell, but I came up short.

I want to start selling some of my unloved BPAL. I've done a lot of buying (since 2010) on the forums and ebay, but never selling. I'd like to stay away from eBay for now as it seems sketchy.

I was wondering how the process works. I visited the post office to ask about shipping small 5 ml bottles of perfume and first the guy working there told me it's illegal to ship perfume. Then when I told him I had perfume shipped to me all the time he asked in the back and they said it was fine as long as it's ground shipping. When I asked how much shipping ~three 5ml bottles would be, he said he wouldn't be able to tell me until I had the package ready. He also said he wouldn't be able to tell me the price of insurance (should I need it) beforehand. So...how do you know how much to charge someone for shipping and/or insurance? I don't think I'm going to need insurance often, but I'd just like to know.

Also, what kind of paypal account do you need to have and how do you go about setting that up? How do you get a click and ship number? Tracking number?

Lastly, I have a rough idea of what supplies I will need since I have bought so much from the forum, but any information on that would be awesome too.

If there's a guide somewhere that covers all this info, please let me know!

Thank you so much for reading!

BPAL actually qualifies as essential oils, "perfume" assumes that there's alcohol in the mix. I've had the same problem with the Post Office telling me it's illegal unless it's in its original packaging - which of course BPAL doesn't have.

Apologies if this has already been asked somewhere in this thread, just wanting to check, when the parcel is shipped will it be clearly marked as perfume OILS on the box?

Ordinary perfumes are prohibited to ship to NZ, so are essential oils, but perfume oils are okay to ship here. A friend received their BPAL order with no trouble last year, but I wanted to double check because I don't want my parcel to get seized accidentally :)