Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tativa

Prosperity of a Country

Frankincense, orris root, asuhi, leather, and ginger-infused cream accord.

This isn't even remotely pretty on me. Rotted wood and dried orange. The ginger is smelling like orange and not like ginger at all to me. The leather is sharp and rubbery---too new. I just looked up Asuhi because I don't know what it is and it turns out to be a tree (Japanese cypress?) and also Hiba turns up in the search so maybe they're the same thing? Anyway it's not warm, rich, sweet wood but more like a freshly opened, sappy wood with some greenness to it. This is the dark, smoky resinous version of Lilith vs The Giant Crab on my skin. ( btw, I adore L vs GC)

edit to add description Edited by Shollin

This smells very intriguing in the bottle-- creamy wood and ginger (but not too much, because as a rule I "hate" ginger) and a touch of resinous spice.

On my skin it fades pretty darn fast (couple hours max) and it, somewhat unfortunately, smells like a fancy wood polishing product. My bf and I agreed that it was kinda nice even so.. but I'm glad I went for a partial bottle from the sale forum ^_^

The description had me at 'ginger cream accord', but all I get out of this blend from wet to dry is leather. Well maybe there is a bit of spice at the beginning, (maybe the ginger?), but leather loves me and while I like it to make an appearance in the background, it is loud and obnoxious for the first hour, then fades to practically nothing. Sigh. Not sure if aging will improve this. I'll probably try to swap this one.

Ok, this devolved into pretty much single note Frankincense on my skin! I got frank and not much else here. And I tend to turn frankincense to playdoh. So, this was a fail on me.

Ugh. I get loads of frankincense - smoky, sweet, resinous with a hint of ginger and something that is like powdery/floral which evolves into a green cedar sort of smell. I get a hint of leather that really comes to the forefront in the drydown, mixed with the frankincense.

Yeah, not for me.

A little bit of citrus edge, but maybe that's the ginger. Everything is warm and cozy. The leather must be very light. It's like a lemon cream.

Wet: This smells...I don't know. I think I can identify frankincense now, and I'm pretty sure that's what this is. It overwhelms everything, and I'm not sure I really like it. It's just kind of strong and perfume-y.

Dry: The frankincense dies down a bit and I get a bit of floral now, maybe. I am getting no cream, no leather (which I was looking forward to). I am not really familiar enough with all of these notes to know what I'm smelling, or to pick up on the nuances of the scent. To me, the frankincense is basically overwhelming everything.

...as soon as I type that, I bend down for another smell and the whole scent has faded a lot, including the frankincense. How did that even happen? I'm getting the cream now, about an hour in, but it's faint. *sigh*

Overall: Frankincense! After about an hour, the whole scent fades. This isn't really for me.

This comes out pretty strongly ginger and cream with a whole lot of leather and maybe a smidge of frankincense. It mellows out after awhile but is pretty strong on my skin. Very pretty but not a keeper I think.

I have a little sniffy decant of this, and I smelled it and thought holy hell, what is that! fear.gif Not in a good way. I can't even explain what it smells like in the vial, just not good, though if I hold it further away I get a kind of gingery cream, which I was hoping for.

Still, I put it on, and thankfully the funk, while still there, fades fast. I have no idea what "the funk" is but it's not good. It's not wood, and it's not frankincense, and it's not leather, but the only thing I can think of is that this particular leather went wierd on me, because it's kind of chemically, and sometimes leather can do that on me. There's a hint of ginger cream, which of course is what I wanted, but it really can't overwhelm the funk, unfortunately.

This SO does not work on me. That's sad!

This sounds good in theory, and it would have smelled good on me too... except for the frankincense. I can smell something nice underneath it, but the frankincense goes too high-pitched and hazy and drowns out the rest of the scent. It does that to me a lot. I can only take really small doses of frankincense.

Bottle: In the bottle scent is thick and buttery with a little hint of something that smells like skin musk. Maybe a bit of citrus bite which is probably the ginger.

Wet: This has aged into a pretty cream-heavy scent. It's nice, one of the better creams on my skin and it seems to be tempered by the leather and frankincense. Both are present but not dominant on my skin.

Dry: Dries down to a... weird scent. Skin close cream and leather with an incense-y ginger-frankincense vibe. Very light and clean and... odd. Not particularly dirty but still kind of inappropriate for work. A very salty sort of scent.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: Weird but good. I feel like this is a good example of a scent that reacts differently to everyone.

ITI: Ginger, cream, light orris root, and something a little woodsy.

Wet: Woodsy ginger and orris root with a serving of frankincense and just a hint of leather. It's slightly masculine, but nothing I'd shy away from wearing just because of that.

Dry: It's woodsy, musky, on supple riding leather, with frankincense and cream infused throughout. The ginger is gone once dried, which makes me ecstatic especially because ginger smells horribly off on my skin. Wonderful scent once dried!