Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
capnlizaveta

Beanman & Beanwoman Prepare to Attack the Vagina

Skin musk, white amber, ambergris, orange blossom, ylang ylang, and coconut milk.

This is just lovely. A tropical and floral coconut milk and it does have a little suntan lotion vibe going on. While it's really lovely, I'm not quite sure if I'd wear it much. I'm really happy with my partial bottle but probably won't be needing more. Edited by Suusje

Ooh. This one surprised me. I got half bottle on the hope that it would work the way I thought it would. I was hoping for something similar to Lilith vs. the Giant Crab, but got something altogether different. AND AWESOME.

In the bottle: Sharp, musky, and not sweet at all. This made me a little nervous.

Wet: Oh hello there. Coconut, musk... creamy sweet and a little sharp still. Kind of oceanic smelling.

Dry down: The sharpness fades away, the ambergris and amber come through, along with what I assume is the ylang ylang. It's still coconutty, but with more softness and more of a... skin? scent. I think?

Dry: Lovely. Absolutely lovely. And strangely sexy. It smells the way I wish my skin smelled on its own. It's sweet, creamy, musky, and smooth. Like how I would smell after a long bubble bath and a few rounds of sex. I keep sniffing my arm trying to explain what this smells like, and all I can really say is "lovely". I really really like this. It's not at all what I expected, but it works out very nicely. I'm glad I bought a half bottle.

This one was tricky to pin point how I felt about it. It was more of an experience, so sorry if this seems a ramble.

I was uber excited to get my hands on it, ripped open the packaging and found:

In the bottle: Sharp. Green. Def. not what I was expecting.

On the skin: Some strange background flower that is playing on my subconscience. I can't quite place it, but my mind keeps coming back to the idea of dandelions. Its not floral, more the crisp green of a dandelion. Then came the suntan lotion. Pure suntan lotion with the bite of dandelion juice that squeezes out of the stem when you pop the head off. Not what I was expecting at all.....

I set it to the side feeling really "Meh. Bummer" about it, and decided since it is a glorious day, Id ride up to the store. With my order, I had also gotten some Eat Me, and now I was craving cupcakes. I hopped in the car and rolled the windows down, threw on my sunglasses and started to drive. Sun pounding, arm out the window, radio playing. I drove a little while, and White Stripes were on, so I cranked it up....and then it hit me.

Holy crap, this is summer. Summer in a bottle. What started "meh, suntan lotion" magically became "Holy crap, this is SUMMER!!" The sun had warmed my arm so that the blowing wind tossed the scent all around, and the combination of suntan lotion, dandelions, and some sunglasses transformed a scent that was going to the "maybe someday I'll try it again" pile, to a "you will only pry this from my cold, dead hands" scent....to me it is flip flops, BBQs, and tanning in the sand. Tank tops and beach balls.

Dry: Sweet, sunkissed skin after a day at the beach. Sunken in sun lotion and warmed skin.

Holy moly. I will never part with this.

ETA: layered with Snow White is... *sigh*. I think I need a moment.

Edited by krazyanjel

I was initially going to pass on this scent because of the ambergris note. I had a very bad reaction to the faux civet note the lab uses (hello zoo cage) and figured the faux ambergris would be just as bad. And then two things happened. First, people started calling it a springer, skankier Snow White (I love Snow White) and then I had a dream that NOVA did a special on why Beanman and Beanwoman launched this aggressive campaign, complete with F. Murray Abraham providing the narration (yes, really). I know when the universe is trying to tell me something.

In the bottle, I get a wonderful musky coconut milk with orange blossoms. Oh, this is so lovely! Wet, it's the same but with the addition of something creamy/sweet. Perhaps this is the ambergris? During the drydown, it's the same as when wet, perhaps with the addition of ylang ylang. I have to admit that ylang ylang smells citrusy to me, so I'm having trouble picking it apart from the orange blossoms. Dry, I'm left with a sweet, musky coconut milk and orange blossoms.

This is, as others have said, spring and summer in a bottle. It smells like freshly cleaned, powdered skin (but not powdery!). It's quite suggestive without screaming sexuality; it's more subdued in its suggestiveness. My only problem is not scent related; I'm not sure what I'm going to say if someone compliments this and asks for its name. I'm thinking "Those Aggressive Beanpeople" might work but . . . um . . . yeah. Pretty scent, blush inducing name. Highly recommended if you like scents with coconut and citrus.

Edited by Kejiaron

What in the world is my skin doing to this?! It's green like grass and clean like powdered laundry detergent. I can't smell any coconut in the usual sense but I do get that fresh-from-a-day-at-the-beach scent. It's sharper than I like for a coconut blend and not as sweet, plus the florals are strongest. If you've ever smelled Sun & Sand from Yankee Candle, this is what it reminds me of. And if there's a suntan lotion note to this, it's not your typical drugstore brand but the expensive department store variety where they come up with their own signature fragrance for their sun protection lotions. It's a really pretty scent, definitely reminiscent of freshly washed, creamy-smooth skin and clear, cool water. I'm not certain that I won't get a bottle but I first have to see how my hubby reacts to this.

COCONUT. On wet, it's a hard slap of coconut which thankfully mellows out on the drydown to a milky coconut floral.

If you love coconut, you'll love this. It never smells like suntan lotion, which is a surprise in my experiences with BPAL coconut.

Yep, fancy sunscreen :D Which is fine by me. At least, I think it smells like fancy sunscreen haha maybe "dream sunscreen"

Strongest initially are the orange blossom and ylang ylang-- strongly floral with a definite "green" stem note others have mentioned, but the coconut is always there, and becomes stronger with time. The green stem note goes away. This blend is pretty strong with quite a bit of throw.

This is lush, creamy and exotic. I think if it was straight orange blossom and ylang ylang those would amp to eleven on me and turn it cloying, but the amber/ambergis, musk and coconut are able to hold their own against the florals and turn it into a velvety tropical scent. I get plenty of coconut, and the ylang ylang shows up more than the orange blossom; it's warmed up by the skin musk and grounded by the amber and ambergis. Like MCS said, it's like fancy sunscreen, or as I'd put it, seductive sunblock, but I love scents like that so if you're into those, don't miss this! I really want to get away to somewhere much warmer than New Jersey now. :lol:

Edited by Invidiana

I like this much more than I thought I would based on there being ambergris (my nemesis) in it. However, it seems to be working for me in this combination of notes... Go figure.

On me, Beanies is a predominantly coconutty smell - creamy coconut refined by the florals and the white amber - which make it more feminine, more pretty in a way. The ambergris serves as a slightly salty backdrop to that. It does remind of Snow White a little, maybe an offspring of Snow White and one of those clean white scents like The Girl.

The only thing I don't like about this blend at this time, is that it is pretty light. I'm having trouble smelling it about 2 hours after application - even though I've slathered it on. I guess, to last me through a day, I'd have to reapply twice or thrice a day. I think that makes buying at least two bottles a good idea. :P

ETA: After wearing this a couple of other times, I have to say that my first reaction was a bit over-enthusiastic... I did get the ambergris later on... and it smelled sweaty/stale on me again. :(

Edited by blu°

Oh how I wish I got what some others are getting. On me, this is very floral and too clean-smelling to be something I would wear very often. If the coconut and creaminess came out a bit more, I think it might become a favorite. It's close to working but ends up going wrong on my skin.

Alright, so this starts out as a musk/ylang ylang predominant blend with a creamy citrus base. As it continues to wear the ylang ylang backs off, and the coconut starts marching to the forefront. Oh yeah, this is going to suntan lotion on me. Yick. I could see how this would be awesome on someone with better chemistry than I!

Orangey to start and then OMG Coconut!!! Maybe a tiny bit like suntan lotion. :-) The musk and amber come up slowly. People on the beach, wearing coconut scented suntan oil. I never wanted to get close enough to touch, but they sure smelled lovely.

Fruity and beachy. Nice! I wish I got more musk, though. Very nice staying power. I love how this dries down to a cozy, subtle coconut.

3.8 out of 5

Smelled exactly like the old Sand & Sable perfume to me. Deposited me right back into middle school... which is not where I want to be. I can tell this is a GORGEOUS blend, but it's just not right for me. :(

This is all orange blossom on first application, fresh and clean and only faintly sweet. Over time, it softens, becomes more powdery, more...not perfumey, but I can't think of a better word for it. Like a sweet floral perfume on clean skin, applied hours ago and fading to a lovely halo. It's cool and white, and quite feminine. The ylang ylang starts to peek out, adding a roundness to the blend that I like. Sensually soft.

Out of the bottle: Clean, sweet, with a slightly sharp overtone (the ylang-ylang?). It's mellowing out to - OMG! Stop the presses! I think I have a summer BPAL to eke out my Dreamland with! This smells like clean skin with orange blossom and just the slightest hint of coconut. I sniff my wrists and it evokes my visit to Kauai, complete with entire days spent on the beach. Aah!

Another one I'm going to have to hoard! This is so beautiful!

ETA a few hours later: I still love this and want to hoard, but it has already faded. YMMV, as my skin is notorious for eating scent. This will probably be a warm-weather scent for when I want something lighter.

Edited by Chrysantza

Sadly, this did not work for me at all. I get way too much ylang ylang and orange blossom and not enough coconut milk. :( I had some hope this would not be too overpowering, but I really amp the florals and they give me an instant headache. Love the bottle though :blush: . It cracks me up to see the picture and name. Beth is so creative so I always take a chance on her blends. I know a floral lover would go GAGA over this.

The coconut milk is very apparent in this, it's very sweet and creamy with the barest hint of flowers. It's totally lovely (an achievement, since coconut's not my favourite) until my chemistry grabs a hold of it and amps the musk up the wazoo. I've had it on for about an hour or so and all I can smell now is the musk :/

When I first got this bottle (after testing it at a meet 'n' sniff), I thought "Why? It's too sharp, too strong, and just wrong on me. Why? Maybe it'll be better in warm weather." Well, it's now Warm Weather, so I put some on.

Fresh on, it's all Woah! Stong! Sharp! What was I thinking?! But then the sharpness fades and the coconut flexes its muscle. The florals are strong, but are muted a bit by the coconut. This is a very clear scent - no powder or muddled elements. (Some powder comes out on the drydown, but nothing I can't handle. In fact, it mellows a lot when dry - or maybe I just think it does :lol: )

All in all, this is a summer suntan scent. Pre-teen girl playing with her dog on the beach on a hot summer day scent. The old Ban de Soliel tv jingle is stuck in my head ("for the San Tropez taaan....."). This will definitely be part of my summer rotation.

eta: This *does not* smell like suntan lotion. It just reminds me so much of summer....

Edited by surlygurl

I got this as a frimp in a forum purchase. And I must say, that person must be psychic. :lol: I've been looking for a good coconut blend, but something that didn't smell all preteen and beachy. THIS. THIS IS IT. I, personally, would love to know what sunscreen you all are using, because this smells NOTHING like sunscreen to me. On me, it's pure, creamy, coconutty perfection, with a bit of a salty vibe (probably due to the ambergris) and some non-cloying floral thrown in. It doesn't have that weird, faux-tropical feeling I get with most coconut perfume and sunscreen. I agree with the reviewer who said it reminded them of white skin and tissue paper. Perfectly clean, soft skin and slightly crumpled (but beautifully crumpled, if that makes sense, haha) white tissue paper. This scent is seductive, but totally understated. That's not to say it has no lasting power or throw, though! It definitely has both. I put on a little bit last night before I went to bed, and I was still catching little wafts of coconut this morning. And as far as throw goes, I just put on two little drops: one on the back of my hand and one on my wrist, and it's really strong. Beanpeople, I love you so much. :wub2:

Edited by plainjean

Wow. Hontestly I purchased this bottle on a whim but oh wow am I glad I did. The first thing I thought when I put it on was 'I didn't know gardenia was in the notes' as usually I would avoid that. Gardenia usually goes too sharp florally on me. I was surprised that it doesn't have it in there but someone else on the thread mentioned it smells like a gardenia perfume they used to wear so I know I'm not crazy. ;)

It's a creamy white scent on me like I stuck my face into a beribboned gardenia bridal bouquet. Innocent but with the knowledge that such innocence is *very* close to its end! Absolutely gorgeous.

Odds were about 50/50 on this one and alas, 'twas not meant to be. This musk went the way of Velvet Nudie and the addition of amber made this a very powdery, "surface level" scent. The coconut just couldn't save it :(

In the Vial: "Sweet" and "green" were the first words that popped into my head. Upon second sniff, I get a very wet, heavy floral, and smoky musk. Then I looked at the blend's description, which prodded me into smelling the orange blossom (and feeling utterly confused as to how I'd missed it before). Not even a hint of coconut, though.

Wet: I keep waiting for something to change. For the amber and musk to come out, or the orange blossom to get brighter, or... something. But no, this is pretty much staying the same - and I don't get to say that very often.

Dry: Aaaah, there's the coconut. It's steathily sidled up to the skin musk, and together they make the blend smell a bit like sunscreen. Definitely sunscreen as opposed to coconut oil - it's a little plasticky, and still floral.

An Hour Later: Pretty much the same. Maybe a little more floral.

Overall: Meh. Something about the way this ended up doesn't jive with me. I'm one of the few that actually likes the smell of tanning oil and tanning lotion, but this is just a little too... off. It's that strange plastic quality that's doing it, I think. Not for me.

On: So, so pretty. I love the skin musk and coconut milk together, so creamy and beautiful. The white amber is giving it a sweet edge and the orange blossom is lightening it up a little. I am getting a hing of a play-doh like scent in the background. I hope it goes away.

1 hour in: Powdery, floral, sweet, and vaguely fruity.

3 hours in: Powdery and a bit soapy, but still sweet and fruity, too.

6 hours in: Very soft. Powdery and soapy.

Overall: This doesn't really work for me.

In the imp- Ylang ylang and orange blossom. A faint hint of coconut milk.

Wet- The florals are still there, but the musk and amber come out to play.

Dry- Softly floral and musky, with an under tone of amber.