Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Rose otto, lychee, and cistus absolute.

This starts off strong rose with some syrupy sweetness. As it dries they even out and the rose gets lighter and the tangy sweetness of the lychee comes out more. I don't like florals but I like lychee and it's sweet enough that I love it.

Thouros

I had to try this because of the lychee -- I LOVE lychees! This is a nice fruity-floral, sweet but with an edge of tartness. The rose is well balanced in this blend on me, and doesn't dominate like it sometimes does. I probably won't track down a bottle, but I will enjoy my decant. ^_^

In the vial – Roses and lychee, wet and fruity.

On the skin – The lychee pops, then fades, switching places with the rose. Back and forth, back and forth…

Dry – Musky sweet lychees. It's a little funky at the very end, but not terribly so.

EDIT: Scratch that, it now smells like someone spit on me when it dries down. Gross.

Edited by Dralore

Wet its all roses and then on dry down the lychee pipes up.

The rose is kind of soapy, very round and not at all a green fresh rose. An older, dignified sort of rose.

The lychee is a little syrupy.

Honestly, this smells like it would be an excellent hard or gummy candy. I would buy lychee rose candy, no doubt. I do not really know if I want to smell like it, however, on consideration.

It goes kind of soapy on me eventually. I'm amazed I got any lychee, usually I amp rose like nothing else so that lychee has a bit o' power.

Rose and lychee in the same blend meant that I had to get some Thouros no matter what - I love both notes, and I actually find them rather similar, so I was sure they would combine harmoniously.

And indeed, Thouros is a soft, well-rounded yet suprisingly complex scent. The interaction between the rose and the lychee is quite interesting; there is something dynamic about it, for lack of a better word. The last time I experienced something comparable, it was with Delirium, another deceptively simple fragrance with a lot going on.

If you like lychee and/or rose, give this a try!

I'm not really sure what lychee smells like, but fruity and sweet is usually good for me.

I know I like rose otto.

So the questionable one was cistus absolute -- never heard of it so looked it up, and apparently it's like labdanum and is supposed to be herby or woody. I think this is the part I don't like about it.

When it's dry it smells like a sweet rose and I actually like it, but when it's when it smells like a weird perfumey rose, and I don't care for that kind too much. There are other rose blends I like from start to finish.

In the imp- I smell the sweetness of the lychee and the rose first. And for some reason a faint whiff of cinnamon.

Wet- The lychee and the rose combine into an almost citrus scent. It's a little generic bath product like.

Dry- The lychee and the cistus do something weird on me, not quite bad, but not quite good either.

Thouros is what I've been searching for a long time. 
Prior reviews made me worry, but perhaps because my bottle is 10 years aged that has affected the overall impression of the blend. I still have no idea what cistus smells like and my nose isn't developed enough to pick it out.

In the bottle, it smells mostly of sweet rose. Lychee seems to be a rare component of BPAL oils but when I saw it combined with my beloved rose otto I couldn't pass it. On skin, the fruit is sweet and primary to the rose, which is a sweet rose—not a green rose like that of peacock queen. This is a rose that has been candied and dusted in sugar. In the drydown, 10 minutes after application, I smell mostly lychee on my wrist, and a pleasantly even blend of rose and lychee in my inner elbow.