Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

THOOS
Swift
Tangerine, cypress, and white musk.

When I first opened the bottle, and took a sniff, the tangerine was the only note present. It's a wonderful note, and I'm always glad to see it in a BPAL oil. It smells just like a freshly unzipped tangerine, only condensed into a little amber bottle. Once applied to the skin, the musk and cypress come out to play from where-ever they were hiding. They keep the citrus in check, so that one doesn't smell just like they just finished eating a tangerine. As this dries down, the fruit note is not so dominant any more; in fact, all three notes blend well together, with the result being greater than the sum of its parts. (I noticed the same fading away and blending of the tangerine note in Lilith vs. the Giant Crab, even though that was a tangerine cream.) Right now, I'm getting a little more cypress out of the blend than anything else. If you liked Lilith vs. the Giant Crab, but wanted something lighter and not so sweet, do give Thoos a try.

LOTS of white musk - by far the strongest note here, it reminds me greatly of White Musk SN, with fresh, almost citrusy-piney cypress a little bit behind, and sadly (and predictably) a soft tangerine note (very sweet and a little juicy - not much tartness) lightly below everything.

WHITE MUSK, even stronger and more dominating on my skin. I don't hate white musk, and in fact I enjoy it when it's blended properly, but when it's the strongest note or it stands out too much, I find it very generic and preteenish. Which is what I'm getting now. The tangerine is a tad brighter on my skin, a little tarter and juicier, yay! The cypress is about the same, and it's a lovely note, not at all sharp or generically piney, so those who fear cypress should not fear this blend.

This has super strong throw. The combination of a green note and a fruit and white musk reminds me GREATLY of Fae, very similar vibe, except here the white musk is just so incredibly overpowering. The tangerine actually opens up a bit more on my skin as this dries, shockingly - and it's a lovely, sweet note - I do with it were a bit tarter and juicier, but I'm so pleased it's holding on my skin at all for more than 5 sec (and often citrus doesn't even show up on my skin.

The cypress is pretty much gone, while the tangerine has continued to amp (wow, citrus amping on my skin? has hell frozen over?), and the white musk reminds overwhelming. But the tangerine has developed a delicious sparkling quality which makes me think of Orangina. This is definitely the best tangerine and also the best orange citrus scent (other than PL176) that I have ever tried.

As this dries, the trend continues - tangerine amps, becoming more sparkling and delicous, and the white musk fades very minutely, while the cypress completely dissipates. So I'm left with a very simple blend of white musk and tangerine. I'm undecided on whether I will keep this at this point, because the white musk is much too strong for my tastes and it totally dominates for the first hour, but the tangerine is gorgeous. Damn you white musk! Intense throw and great longevity.

:think:

FWIW, this doesn't remind me of Lilith vs the Giant Crab AT ALL - different tangerine note and totally different vibe - this is way more like Fae with tangerine, to me at least.

ETA: Several hours later, it's still going strong and the white musk for so long and so strong becomes nauseating. I am so very devastated. :cry2:

Edited by fairnymph

I had the same problem as fairnymph. This is a GORGEOUS tangerine note - bright and sparkly and tangy and beautiful - and my skin amped it for about an hour, making me happy and cheerful. However, it's a little heavy on the white musk and a little light on the tangerine in the bottle, and the tangerine note only lasts about an hour or two on my skin before it disappears into an enormous cavern of WHITE MUSK OF DOOM. The cypress tips the leftover white musk onto the ever-so-slightly masculine side. I'm going to try and scent locket it, but I'm not sure the overpowering white musk afterward is worth the hour or two of ZOMG TANGERINE YAY!

I'm also going to let it settle for a while and see if that helps the white musk tone itself down a bit.

I guess I'm one of the people who white musk works well on because I love Thoos, and the tangerine just makes me love it more. I can't wait to wear this when the weather gets warmer.

Tangerine and Cypress are strong in this blend while wet on my skin. As it dries though, the cypress disappears and I am getting a lot of white musk and tangerine. Very nice blend and a good choice for me. I love citrus scents and this one does not disappoint.

Oh, yum. I need to track down some tangerines, as I'm craving them now.

It swiftly becomes about more than just juicy ripe tangerines, although it is still a really delicious scent.

This is the second one out of the Ares scents that I may need a bottle of. I knew they were going to be dangerous.

Maybe I'm weird because I love white musk too. I ordered this because of the white musk + citrus combo, which I loved in Embalming Fluid. This is nothing like Embalming Fluid, but that's okay because it is very lovely. In the bottle, it doesn't really appeal to me at first. It reminds me a bit of Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert. Very sharp, bright citrus and heavy on the cypress.

Applied, however, the white musk tones both down some and becomes ethereal, clean, and musky. Which sounds like a contradiction, but it's a clean muskiness. Like skin freshly washed in tangerine soap. I can see what others meant by it smelling 'masculine,' but to me, Thoos is gender neutral. A man or a woman could easily rock it. Thoos, to me, seems well paired with a red dress. It has a powerful sort of sexiness. A little coy, but confident.

Actually, I take back what I originally said. The more it dries, the more it reminds me of Embalming Fluid. With tangerine. I am really loving it - maybe because I'm pleased to have a scent that is meh in the bottle but my skin loves.

Opening the imp gives me a lovely hint of tangerine with a touch of something stalk like underneath. Very light.

As soon as I put it on it fades out to a vague scent that must be the cypress.

Gone before I get the cap back on :(

Gorgeous, light, creamy tangerine!

Very fresh and happy.

:biggrin:

I can't pick out the cypress at all, and I think the white musk is just adding a bit of creaminess and perhaps keeping the tangerine from being at all sharp. My only problem with this is that it fades fast on me, so I'll just have to reapply.

Thoos - White musk is one of those weird notes that I can't smell. When I tried the white musk single note, it smelled like I'd put water on my skin. My nose does not detect white musk at all. So on me, this was 100% tangerine and cypress, and I looooved it! It is very masculine to me, and something I think would smell amazing on my husband. I love how the bright citrus note compliment the sharp wood note. This scent lasted a long time on my wrist, although after several hours, the tangerine had worn away, but the cypress was still going strong. I wish my husband wasn't allergic to fragrance. I'd love to smell this on him!

I am in love with Thoos :wub2:. I originally got this for my husband, but it smells awesome on me, so I'm keeping it, lol. I can smell a hint of woody, earthy cypress in the bottle, but I don't get any of that note at all on my skin.

White musk is either awesome on me (smells frosty, creamy, sweet, and almost vanilla-y) or else it's sharp and evil. This is creamy, cool, beautiful white musk. I get a pretty strong blast of happy, bright, juicy, tangerine at first, but it quickly dries down and the musk takes over. The mix of white musk and tangerine is sweet, creamy, and cool on my skin. It really reminds me of an orange creamsicle, but more sensual and wearable.

I only have a decant of this at the moment, but I'll need a full bottle or two of this. It's just so pretty, and I'm going to love wearing this during the summer. <3

Wow. It looks clear in the vial!

In the decant: Musky tangerine. Neither one seems dominant. I don’t think I’m getting any cypress.

Wet: TANGERINE and soft musk.

Drydown: Mmmm. Balanced and nice.

Later: Beautiful. I really like this one! It’s citrusy without being sharp. It’s almost creamy. The muskiness gives it a bit of sophistication. Mr. Muse says I smell a little like orange Milano cookies when I wear it.

This starts out as a delicious bright and juicy tangerine. As it drys down the brightness seems to be replaced with a soft musk. :wub2: This is absolutely gorgeous and since it's so light on my skin, it will perfect for my scent locket. Definite bottle.

Hello musky tangerines!! :yum: On me this is a very light scent, but it is absolutely wonderful!! This one is definitely a keeper!

-ETA- Huh, sadly this doesn't smell as good as it used to on me. Instead, the tangerines fade quite quickly and the rest is just light and musky. It is still good, but I am afraid that it just isn't for me anymore.

Edited by Catseyes

Mmm tangerines...*drool*...oh where was I? ^_^

This scent it really citrus in the bottle! on my skin it turns to a smooth creamy tangerine musk. Almost like a dreamsicle. :yum: This def makes me want to try more citrus blends! Im not entirely sure i need a bottle though(not a whole lot of bpal funds so i have to be really picky!) but I'll wear it for a few more days. who knows it may move to my NEED list!

Edited by ReenaLolita

In decant, picked up the tangerine and musk immediately. It applied very lightly. There was a burst of tangerine which lasted for a couple of hours, and then it faded into a powdery light fruit scent. Very clean-smelling.

It's a beautiful, juicy tangerine scent. I think the musk and cyprus mellow it a bit but I really don't get those scents on my skin. I just get the tangerine. It's kind of creamy after it melts on the skin. I love it.

It reminds me a lot of Gold Phoenix, which I enjoy very much. If you're looking for orange, juiciness I would recommend Thoos and Gold Phoenix. Wonderful, wonderful!! :wub2:

The tangerine is strong at first here but the drydown is soft, faintly fruity white musk. I am not picking up cypress from this except that there's something here keeping this from being overly feminine white musk and I suspect it's the cypress balancing things out. This is rather light withouth much throw, but it's very pleasant.

The musk just overwhelms the beautiful sparkling tangerine note. This is definitely not the same as Lillith vs. the Giant Crab - the tangerine there was kind of sandy whereas this one is bright, sparkling, even a little boozy. But the musk just totally overwhelms this, making it unappealing for me.

In the Bottle: deliciously juicy

Wet on Skin: Tangerine! A very true to life scent.

While Drying: Sweetening up a bit as the other notes start to come into play. (On the second test, this went through a baby powder / baby wipe phase)

After a Little While: The tangerine is still recognizable, but sinks into the other notes… just gorgeous. (no longer has the 'I just binged on a bag of tangerines' effect of the early wet stage)… On the other hand, The Boy says it smells like 'the good parts of Old English furniture polish.' (At least it is the 'good parts') I think it is the combo of citrus and cypress. (oh man, there is the baby wipe smell again - why must it do this? it didn't the first time!)

Later: The musky aspect dances in and out over a soft tangerine. I'm getting a bit of a thick-headed feeling, but not sure if it is a reaction to the oil. The longer this wears, the softer the tangerine becomes… more musky, less citrusy. But I am developing a headache - really hope it isn't the oil. Pretty decent throw, even after the scent hits later stages. (final drydown is beautiful, even when my chemistry is messing with the earlier stages)

Final Thoughts: This is my first blend with tangerine as a citrus note, and I am quite happy with it… I love the initial pop of tangerine in the beginning. I think I'll have to wear this a few more times before I decide if I need a bottle, but I'll definitely hold on to a decant.

Final, Final Thoughts: After further testing, it looks like this is one I'll only be able to wear a few days a month, and with a very light touch. That being the case, I am glad that my posse all have decants or half decants, because I do love the smell of this one.

Thoos earns a 3.5/5 on my skin (it would be higher if it weren't for my weird reaction to this one.)

This really didn't do much for me. The tangerine and white musk were pleasant enough, nothing astounding, but the cypress just makes it a little sharp for me in the vein of Lines Written on the Euganean Hills. Cypress just tends to come out that way on my skin. I don't get a delicious juicy scent at all, just something light and citrusy and with a slightly sharp minty evergreen, nothing to write home about.

Edited by Invidiana

Oh SNAP!

So normally, my skin totally eats citrus. It's like a giant NOM festival. This one is actually a bright, juicy tangerine that stays, and is this possible? grows larger and even more fierce as it dries. This is totally abetted by White Musk SN. And it ends up smelling like a cool citrusy orange creamsicle. I get a tiny tiny hint of cypress, which to me makes sure that this blend doesn't end up in ubersweet territory.

I think I need a bottle.

Like YESTERDAY.

I love citrus scents, but they seem to disappear on me. This is a lovely musky tangerine scent, I hardly get any cypress (good, because that was the note I was worried about). Not a lot of throw, but I'm about 3 hours in, and I can still smell it at my wrist. Probably won't get a bottle, but I'll keep my decant!

This is so nice! It is light, a tiny bit powdery (not in a bad way, though), and quite refreshing. As others have reported, the cypress pretty much disappears shortly after application. I'm fine with that, since that note intially made the scent more masculine than i would usually wear. This oil seems to dry down very quickly on me, although it was a very light application, so that may be why. Once the cypress faded, this became quite unisex, which is what i hoped for. This seems like a wonderful fragrance for a day when i need a bit of a pick-me-up, and/or i don't want anything very "perfume-y". It's a very simple, clean, gentle blend. The citrus gives it a slight sparkliness. Very enjoyable!

Juicy tangerine and sharp white musk. The cypress also adds tartness. I kinda of agree with the comparison to Lilith vs. the Giant Crab. It has a similar vibe goin on with the tangerine. While it's pretty, a decant is enough for me as it doesn't last very long on my skin.