Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

An itch that needs to be scratched: Snake Oil and three types of honey.

I was generously gifted a tester of the 2010 version of this and :thud: I loooove it! It smells like a Snake Oil powder on me. I like Snake Oil, but I like this so much more! I feel like this cuts some of the incense that tends to be a little overpowering to me with SO. Although, I asked my mom if she liked it on me and she said, "Ewwww." LOL I asked her if it smelled like ass and she said, "I don't know, I just don't like how it smells." :lol:

Too bad for her though, because I'll be on the look out to get a bottle of this in the future! :D

Womb Furie 2010

Sniff: From the bottle I smell that familiar snake oil wet scent and honey

Wet: honey honey honey and I love it

Dry: Now its powdery snake oil aftermath love it...

4.5/5

Edited by Vanilla323

This review is for the 2012 version! :)

In the bottle: Yep, that's Snake Oil, with a metric ton of honey along for the ride. It smells very thick and decadent. This is bound to be fantastic.

Wet: Yep, spicy Snake Oil smothered in honey. I can't specify the types of honey in here, but there is definitely more than one kind, and they're all creamy, warm, and delicious.

Dry: The honey really takes the bite out of the Snake Oil (which I cannot wear fresh) and the honeys become even more prominent after an hour or so. Sillage is great, and it lasts forever. I still smell traces of Womb Furie 18 hours after application.

If you love Snake Oil (and even if you don't!) and/or honey is an amenable note for you, this is a must-try. I LOVE this.

This is the 2012 version.

In The Bottle: HONEY! And lots of it! I get a trace of the Snake Oil in the background there, but really, the honeys are the stars in the bottle.

Wet On Skin: Yup, there's all that honey, and the astringent quality that I know to be fresh Snake Oil. I am one of the people that must age their Snake Oil at LEAST a year before wearing, so if the note sounds a little harsh, that's where my perspective is coming from.

Dry Down: I can see what others have said, that you can tell there's more than one kind of honey in this mix. It lends a really beautiful depth, the likes of which I have only experienced once before, with a bottle of Honey-laden Chaos Theory, "O" Series. If Doom of Beauty is for the earliest awakenings of spring, then Womb Fury is for the later part, when everything is in full bloom, heavy and ripe and full of sexual energy.

In All: Light to medium throw, and just a lovely honey scent. I can't WAIT to see where this goes when the Snake Oil has had some proper time to age!

Review of the 2012 version.

In the bottle: That sure is a lot of honey. >D It kind of smells less dark than Snake Oil, if that makes sense? The honeys are making it less incensey.

On me, wet: Oh, there's the Snake Oil! Except I can actually stand to wear this straight on, because the honeys are taking off the really sharp fresh Snake Oil edge and joining up with the vanilla to make it sweeter. Between this and Blossoms in Springtime, I think I'm just going to buy every single scent that involves vanilla and honey from now on.

...Wait. Is the honey making the musk smell good? I ordered a 5ml of this unsniffed before I realized that even the musk in Snake Oil takes over after about two hours and makes me smell like nothing else, and I was really worried about how the musk in Womb Furie would play with all the honeys. But...I can smell the musk and the honey. And the rest of the blend. Oh my god. There's the vanilla! There are the spices that the musk won't let me smell in Snake Oil after an hour! I am so wary--I thought the musks in Lady of Shalott and Cordelia would play nice, but ultimately neither of them did. Oh please, Womb Furie, don't be musk after an hour, please by some miracle let honey be the note that can manhandle the musk into playing nicely with others. I love honey and that would be the best thing in the world if it were true.

On me, dry: The musk is trying super hard, but I think the honey is actually keeping it back. I'm starting to suspect that wearing long sleeves makes the musk in these blends go on the attack, because my wrists kind of just smell like honey and musk now, but the throw around my neck is Snake Oil and gorgeous, and it smelled absolutely divine when I kind of informally tested it out of the bottle two days ago. It's drying down to something kind of metallic and weird, but neither Snake Oil nor honey have ever done this on their own and they didn't the first time I tested it, so I suspect the true culprit is not the blend itself, but Shark Week. God damn Shark Week, I have two decants in the mail!! Not now! ;o;

This may not have been the best day for testing, but nothing has ever held the musk back quite so valiantly before. I have really high hopes for this and I have absolutely no regrets about buying a bottle. :D

Edit: Someone in one of my classes apparently smelled baby powder. Welp, guess I know what baby powder smells like now! I have no hoots to give. :D

Edited by karykeion

For the first hour or so, I was getting medicinal Snake Oil cut through with honey. And I swear I could actually smell a difference in the honeys, too. It was great, if a little strange to be getting that much detail with such an astringent, herbal background.

Then, the drydown turns this into... patchouli? Patchouli with a hint of something sweet, but not a lot. The only other real patchouli reference I have is #occupywallstreet, but this is the same note that was in there, just less intense. Probably because of the vanilla and honey. Still, I'm amping patchouli, and that's really all I'm getting when I put nose to wrist. No honey, no vanilla, nothing.

Patchouli and I don't get along, obviously. Note to self: tread carefully around Snake Oil blends! I know a lot of people say that aged Snake Oil is better than Snake Oil straight from the Lab, but I'm not sure I'm willing to wait in case it becomes even more patchouli-ish with time. I had hoped for such a winner with this one...

Wet I get lots of honey, plus Snake Oil. From drydown for the next couple of hours I might as well be wearing pure Snake Oil, which wins the award for greatest turnaround in my tastes, as I started put wrinkling my nose and now love it enough to weather the initial harsh phases. Two hours after applying, I now have a mellow Snake Oil with rich but subtle honey (the richnes is probably from the multiple honeys) enhancing Snake Oil's vanilla notes.

I'm not sure I would need this and Snake Oil bottles, but since I only have imps of both, I think I'll go for Womb Furie.

Bottled-Yup that's dark, sweet honey and Snake oil... mmmm

Wet and for about an hour afterword--Too sweet wheaten honey and a little of the Snake Oil

Then it becomes this amazing mix of O and Snake oil that sits right next to the skin. Can't stop sniffing myself.

It reminds me of O a lot. Also, I'm not very keen on Snake Oil, but i quite like Womb Furie. Saying that, I think I prefer O :wub2:

2012 Version

In the decant: Sweet. Sweetsweetsweet. Tooth aching sweet. Oddly, it reminds me a Dragon's Blood (especially of Tintagel)

Wet on skin: Sweet, but under it is the Snake Oil musk and slight funk. It deepens the sweet. There's a bit of something herbal and almost bitter at the very back of my throat when I huff. Oddly, I'm still getting that dragon's blood top note. I wonder what honeys this has in it?

Early dry down (10 minutes or so): Turning powdery rather quickly and very, very sweet. The sweet doesn't smell like honey to me, oddly, but rather like syrup or honey mixed with ylang-ylang.

Late dry down (about an hour and half): A little powder, a little patchouli, a lot of honey and the honey is floral in a dragon's blood/ylang-ylang way. Smells very, very like Hetairae on me.

Edited by kakiphony

This reminds me a lot of O, but O can sometimes go powdery on me. I think the Snake Oil prevents it from doing that. I like it a lot, and it would be interesting to see how it ages..... IF it lasts that long!

Womb Furie '12 doesn't disappoint. This is like my '10 bottle but heavier on the honey. I kind of like the O and Snake Oil combination a little more on the O side. This is a must try for anyone who likes Snake Oil, and of course, honey tolerators. But honestly, if you've missed out on Womb Furie or can't find it, you can always simply layer SO and O and get pretty much the same results.

2010 version.

Bottle: There is something about patchouli and honey that is just... funky to me. Or, at least, one of the honeys in this is rather funky. There is something like fresh sweat in this.

Wet: The honey takes a while to calm down. It's really sweet/tart and high pitched for a while. There is a very faint hint of Snake Oil at the bottom of this.

Dry: It dries down to a subtle honey/Snake Oil combo. The honey never really loses that high pitched quality. It really... underwhelming on me.

Throw: Medium.

Overall: I'm not that jazzed with it. I've had the bottle for almost two years and haven't really made a dent. I think I should just accept that O and Snake Oil work on me separately, but never the twain shall meet.

Edited by paperrose

This is for the 2012 version.

In the bottle: Honey and Snake Oil.

Wet: Now more Snake Oil than honey, but still a lot of sweetness from the honey.

The dry-down: Yeah, Snake Oil sweetened by those honeys. Very yummy! :)

Womb Furie 2012

In the imp: Reminds me very much of A Wonderful Light. The honey is warm, comforting and very sweet.

On me: I get the same sweetness as in the imp, but there is something that is trying to poke through. I believe that it's the Snake Oil who wants to join the party. I recognize the smell of this, but I've never tried Snake Oil or anything with SO in it.. I can't really put my finger on it..

Minutes later: NO! Playdough! mecry.gifThis is the first scent that smells like Playdough on me. It's sickening sweet too. I must say that I am very disappointed with my skin right now.

I read somewhere that some people get Playdough from fresh Snake Oil, so I will try to age my decant of this and hope that it will get better. icon_sad.gif

I'm sort of glad the forums were down on the day I got my shipment because I was in "waaahwaaahwaah" mode at the moment - now, I may have calmed down a little.

I was worried about Womb Furie/Fury - I Wanted to love it, and that's usually not a good thing for me - sometimes, I Want to love stuff just for the name or description and then get all sad when they don't work on me.

Womb Furie is the very pinnacle of this - I wantwantwant it to work on me - I want to love it, I want it to love me and I want to live happily ever after with it.

And - turns out, I do.

In the bottle, it is very much like O, I must admit - and while I instantly fell for O the moment I sniffed it, it always made me annoyed because I felt Something was missing - well - I have that covered now ^_^

Womb Furie smells like O but with something (to me) smoother and slightly poisonous swirling in the background - and it smells Red and golden. I have no idea what color Snake Oil is - and I have never smelled Snake Oil ( :blush: ) but there is something Red present here.

It sticks fairly close to my skin and what does spread around me is more like a golden-red mist of awesome - it's...not heavy, more like...smoke. swirling around me, if that makes sense.

Co-worker was...I'm unsure if she liked it or not - she said I smelled as if I was wearing two perfumes; one sticky and sweet and one almost orientally incensy, which to me sounds like she felt it wasn't very well blended (as she sort of got the two mixes pinned down - but separately) but in the next breath, she asked me to bring my imp-collection as she might be interested in ordering something with me, so I Suspect that's a positive :P

Wet and freshly applied on skin, I get something like LUMPS of fruity honey if that makes sense - very hard to explain - smells delicious, but a bit over the top.

What I assume is Snake Oil comes out to play after about 5-10 minutes and makes it a winner for me - I must admit in some ways, it reminds me of Debauchery - but where Debauchery had a very obvious "brown" note present, this is all red, gold and magic.

It's a damn good thing this beauty isn't going down until after my next payday, because here shall be bottles hoarded.

Didn't like it and want to sell/swap? Poke me :wub2:

I had never tried this before, thinking it was silly when I owned both Snake Oil and O. I am now glad that I did try this, and hope to acquire more. If you like the smell of SO once it's on your skin and also the scent of O, but generally find them both too strong and cloying, I would suggest giving this a go. It is not nearly as spicy as I was expecting, so the name didn't really seem fitting and in that respect it was a bit of a letdown. I was expecting the spicy snake oil to play lead and the honey to just be a character actor, there to give it more substance. In my opinion (and it is possible I got a dud, I suppose) it is the complete reverse. The honey is definitely in the foreground and it is very similar to, but not exactly the same as O. I understand it says three types of honey, but to me they all meld together. The Snake Oil is there, but just enriches everything and makes it all oh so much sexier. There is good throw, but not the kind that can give people headaches (as Snake Oil has done to family and friends even when I have applied very little) and it lasts for hours. I can definitely see why this is a favorite. Layering Snake Oil and O just won't cut it for me anymore.

This is my first time trying Womb Furie - after falling in love with Snake Oil, I had to try it.

This does smell quite similar to O - without the Amber (which turns powdery on me). I like the honey in this, very warm and comforting and not too sweet. I actually prefer Womb Furie to O. I get the slightest hint of Snake Oil in the background, I am not really suprised though because for some reason SO fades really quickly on me. So, I get mostly honey from Womb Furie - I would have liked more SO but I can always layer it with more SO :lol: and I also get a good alternative to O which doesn't turn to powder!

I am really happy that I got a bottle of this, I think that I will wear it alot and I will definetely be getting more bottles if it comes back next year :wub2:

Edited by becca_s

I bought a bottle of this without ever smelling it mainly because how many members seemed to love it.In the bottle: It smells warm, inviting, and very appealingWet: I smell some honey, but the snake oil is starting to take a more prominent place.Dry: Yummy it has a lovely balance Throw: it has a good throw and stays a very long time, no need to reapplyI love this. I will be hoarding this one.

In the bottle: Exactly as advertised.

Immediately after application: Honey on top of SO.

Warming up: OM NOM NOM this smells amazing. Less honey, more SO but still a delightfully honeyed version of SO.

Fading: Sweetly honeyed SO.

Faded: Average throw, average wear.

Overall: Definite bottle. I can't stop sniffing myself.

Edited by brilliantcat

2010 version:

This is basically a very very sweet Snake Oil on me. I'm not getting much of the spicy/patchouli-ness, so much as sweetness and a bit of red musk. I think I prefer normal Snake Oil, this is actually a bit *too* sweet for my preference. It's kind of like an extremely watered down Snake Oil.

I received a sniffie of this, and I can’t remember the last time I had such an immediate positive reaction to a scent. Like, “MUST hunt down bottle, NOW!” Oh my God, it’s so gorgeous. Luscious golden honey, with the slightest hints of sweet vanilla and I’m also picking up sassafras…that root beer scent…not sure where that’s coming from. Ah, well, now it’s gone and I’m getting buttery honeyed richness. Want to slather it all over. Yes. Love.

(I'm reviewing the 2012 version.)

In the imp: Snake oil with a strong honey note, shockingly.

Wet: Pretty much just like Snake Oil - which is fine, as I love Snake Oil.

Dry: Maybe a bit like Snake Oil but with a slightly sweeter, floral edge? Not hugely different, but lovely all the same.

2012 version.

Freshly applied, it's smooth honey (smells a lot like O, with less of the "playdough" note) with a hint of spiciness.

Dry, still primarily honey - rich, expensive floral honey - but a touch of fresh Snake Oil is coming out. I can see how it will improve with aging, but despite all the hype for aged Snake Oil, fresh Snake Oil is still an awesome scent on its own.

Womb Furie is quite strong, but even though I can smell it in the air around me I can't stop bringing my nose to my wrist. I need a bottle of this, and I'm so extremely glad that it seems to be coming back as a regular Lupercalia now. In the meantime, I may have to see if I can get similar results by layering Snake Oil with O. I've never been a huge fan of O, but I'm now seeing it in an entirely new light.

Wet this is definitely Snake Oil and honey but once it dries down on me it is all honey all the time. With maybe a touch of musk thrown in for luck and the vanilla just barely rounding it out.

I will enjoy my partial but don't think I will be hunting down any more. I have plenty of Mead Moon for my honey fix.