Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

An itch that needs to be scratched: Snake Oil and three types of honey.

I'm not a Snake Oil lover. (Lettin my freak flag fly, I guess!)
I'm "Meh" about most honey blends, and don't care about ever trying O.

But this..... oh man, I GET IT!!! This is "uh, mah, gah.... love it!" Rich, spicy, vanilla sweet honey without being too foody....
Ok, ok, I'll order a bottle! Twist my arm will ya!

I noticed batch variations with my 2010 bottles, one was much heavier on the honey, the other was heavier on the Snake Oil. The 2011 version starts off a little heavy on the O-type honey, but it quickly mellows out and the Snake Oil gets stronger. It ends up settling into soft Snake Oil with honey in the background, I find it a bit flat.

Edited by cfrancesca

Origin:

5mL (2010 version) bought on LJ

Preconceived notions:

I like Snake Oil quite a bit and consider it a favorite of mine, although I don't reach for it as often as I do a lot of other scents. Honey, on the other hand, is hit or miss. In the past, it's been a miss most of the time, but recently it's been hitting the mark more and more often, so I'm looking forward to trying Womb Furie.

First sniff:

Definitely Snake Oil and something golden-smelling. I'm not sure that I would immediately peg it as honey because it's blending with the Snake Oil and just gives the impression of golden sweetness. It's not cloying by any means, but it's definitely a sweeter version of Snake Oil.

Wet on skin:

The honey comes out more once it hits my skin. I haven't tried O in years since I absolutely hated it the two times I tested it (it turned into a weird amalgam of sour vomit and cloying sweetness), but I think I can see where the comparisons between Womb Furie and a mixture of Snake Oil and O are coming from. I can definitely see that being exactly what this is, although I'm not getting the same revolting smell that I get from O out of this. Not at all.

It's Snake Oil (with some age to it, since my bottle is about a year old at this point, although I just received it) and honey. Not the citrusy honey from Crib Girls and not the rich, almost tangy honey from The Infernal Lover. It's a golden, sweet, mild honey scent combined with the musky vanilla and spice of Snake Oil.

Dry down:

Womb Furie seesaws back and forth as it dries. Some minutes it's more Snake Oil, and others it's almost pure honey (and it is pretty similar to what I remember O smelling like, although it's still not transforming into anything vile on me, which could be because it's not exactly the same as the honey in O or because my skin chemistry has changed since the last time I tried it). Once it fully dries, though, it's strongly on the side of honey with a backing of Snake Oil.

The end result is a sweet, heady, golden honey scent with a touch of musk and vanilla. It's teetering on the brink of being cloying, but it somehow manages not to go over the edge. While I don't think it's as sexy as The Infernal Lover (either the red musk or batch variant non musk version), it's still a very feminine, sultry scent.

The bottom line:

I like Womb Furie. I don't think I would wear it every day (it's a little too intensely honey sweet for me to wear it that often), but I do like it. It's a nice twist on Snake Oil, although it's pretty two-dimensional and not as exciting and complex as many BPAL scents are. I do like that the Snake Oil base is still identifiable, which isn't always the case in the Snake Pit blends, but it's also lacking their complexity.

I'm wondering if I might like this year's version a bit better since it's supposed to be lighter on the honey, but I don't think I need to track a bottle of the 2011 incarnation down. This one bottle of 2010's vintage will be plenty for me.

Edited by Penance

I haven't done a review in years so for this to make me come out of the woodwork is saying something (other than I am slack and lazy) :lol:

A mix of 2 oils I love. SO has always been a favourite but at times too heavy for every day use. I love O but there are also times where the honey is just to over powering for me. I amp honey like hell! But in this mix it seems just right! A smooth, creamy, sexy, vanilla laced honey that drips on to your skin seductively and wraps you in an amber haze.

If you want an oil that will draw comments from people when ever you wear it then this is for you.

Last week I was at our local Pet Barn and the cute long haired surfer boy behind the counter said "I know this is like going to sound like creepy and a bit weird but it's not but I just want to say you smell really really incredible"

This morning the lovely lady behind the petrol station counter. "OMG you smell amazing, what is that? Its beautiful"

So yeah, call me fickle but I like being told I smell good and this makes me smell good and feel sexy and it's bloody fantastic so get a bottle!! :joy: :thud:

Well done Beth, well done :wub2:

I like this. I'm not a huge fan of Snake Oil alone - I like the scent in very small doses, but I feel amazing every time I try to wear it. I see people comparing this to O as well, and I HATE O. I get the 'sour vomit' with that one as well. But this I really like. I can smell the Snake Oil in this, but the honey seems to balance it out really nicely, and each seems to take turns coming up to the front.

It's AMAZINGLY strong though, just a dab on the back of my hand when I tested it was almost too much. Very overwhelming on me! I do like this one a whole lot, but unless it calms down a bit this will be a special occasion one only.

I don't smell the honey separately, it just blends in with the sweetness of the spices and becomes something...fuller, richer...something...it's lovely and I'm investing in a full bottle ASAP.

This also lasts and lasts and lasts...and stays pretty, sweet, and spicy for about 4 hours. It will probably require reapplication, as it seems to be turning a little baby powdery now. Still, it's strong enough to wear to the club for those four hours!

Does anyone get PlayDough from it? I am in love with Snake Oil, and almost every variation I've tried so far including Womb Furie.

DH says PlayDough, though. :(

I wore this for the first time yesterday. I don't know why I didn't try it last year, because I adore Snake Oil, and the other honey blends I've tried so far have been good. This is the perfect blend of the two, mostly a sweetened version of Snake Oil, and it lasts and lasts. It was still going strong when I went to bed. I love it so much that I ordered a backup bottle right away.

Melliflous was nice enough to send some pipettes used to decant this scent so I could try it.

Ah. Mah. Gawd. It smells so much like honey that I kept expecting it to be sticky!

Honey has been hit or miss, but I am in serious love with SO, so I wanted to try. This is like no other BPAL honey I've tried before, including O (which I also love). It's a heavy dark buckwheat honey instead of a light clover honey. It is rich and heady and sticky. I get a sense of flowers from the honey, but also an animal or leather type smell (which I get in real honey). It is STRONG!! And almost overpowers the SO, which I didn't think possible.

My first thought was that the honey was too strong. Too rich, too dark, too heady. But I kept going back to my sad little pipette baggie until I finally turned the baggie inside out and swabbed every last bit of the oil onto my skin. :lol: It wasn't enough. I am hooked and want more.

I wanted to be a different person so I could snuggle up with myself and nuzzle the good smelling parts. Maybe I will have to convince Husband to wear some. Its super crazy sexy and makes my eyes roll back with desire!

This ends up being a less strong, less 'heavy on the honey' Womb Furie on me. Very similar, but I have 2 bottles of the 2010 version and don't need anymore. The latest version seems to fade very fast on me, whereas the '10 lasts all day. If anyone found the '10 version to be too strong and honey heavy, you may want to try this one. Very nice!

I have loved this since I first tried it last year, and I was thrilled it made a return! Delicious honeyed Snake Oil. This years version has slightly less honey and a touch more spices than the previous version, but not much. I am anxious to see how this one ages, to see how the spices will deepen and the honey will thicken. :heart: :yum:

I ordered a half bottle of this and I am so glad that I did. I adore Snake Oil and was pretty sure that I'd love this too. The honey really mellows out the smell. I find Snake Oil too heavy for day wear, especially on a suny day, so this is where Womb Furie fits the bill! It's not a light version of snake oil, it's strong in it's own way, but it is sweeter and not as heavy smelling. Definately one to try!

OMG DIVINE DIVINE DIVINE: THIS IS MY NEW NUMBER ONE!!! I get the hype, I really do! If you love Snake Oil, and you love honey notes, you'll ADORE this! Don't hesitate: BUY IT! BUY IT I TELL YOU! :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :joy: :joy:

The 2010 version is definitely my favorite. I put some of the 2011 version on last night and it wasn't as yummy. I woke up with a very powdery honey scent that wasn't very pleasant. With 2010, the Snake Oil sticks around longer to keep the honey from going powdery.

I bought this one out of curiosity (hello orgasm, my bff) over a year ago now, and initially, it smelled exactly as I expected -fresh Snake Oil and O. I'm not the biggest fan of either and was thinking of keeping my bottles for investment's sake, with a vague idea of re-trying them and probably selling them in 3 years or so.

BUT.

I tried Womb Furie '10 today with my trusty tester toothpick as I aired out each of my bottles in my "Ageing" Box, just because WF smelled REALLY good in the bottle....and honestly, if it keeps getting better, I might just keep it. I'm similar to several of the previous reviewers in that my skin doesn't much like most of the lab's honey notes. There's a SLIGHT hint of play-doh- I'm guessing one of the honey's is turning a bit on my skin- but that's only if I sniff really closely. The throw is completely beautiful. A strong golden nectar that's lightly spiced, faintly musky, and mouth-wateringly sweet. It's undoubtably something I'd wear before sexing the SO. I think it's actually turning me on lol. For a nympho like me, this is awesome.

Verdict: If WF comes out next year Lupercalia, I suggest everyone buys it. Even O- and SO- haters might find something in WF. I'm guessing the '11 version will likewise age really well.

I'm kind of hoping it gets turned into a GC...or at least makes a yearly comeback. Everyone needs to try this!

In the Vial: Yep, Snake Oil and honey. And... I think I'm smelling something green in here, too. Is there such a thing as green honey? Also, this smells a lot cooler than pure Snake Oil.

Wet: The Snake Oil is taking center stage, but that green note keeps trying to stick its head back in. The honey is going somewhat powdery.

Dry: The Snake Oil is now taking a backseat, but it's still there. One of the honeys (likely the "green" one) must be the one used in Mommy Fortuna, because this is reminding me a lot of that blend. Otherwise, it's still very powdery, in scent rather than texture, and it's a sweet talcum as opposed to baby powder. It's soft and lovely.

An Hour Later: Both Snake Oil and honey notes usually have great staying power on me, but not so much with Womb Furie - it's gotten quite faint. Otherwise, it's the same.

Overall: I'm really surprised. I'd expected something heavy and sexy, but it turned out to be light, soft, and pretty. This might be a good alternative to Snake Oil when I want something lighter. I might try layering it with Snake Oil, too, to up the Snake Oil to honey ratio. Bottom line: it's nice!

In the vial: Just what it says in the description - Snake Oil with sweet, sweet honey.

On: Snake Oil and honey... now, I'm not incredibly huge on straight-up Snake Oil, even when aged. I reach for my imp once in a while, but I have to be in the mood. This is pretty effing fabulous, though.

Later: Honeyed snake oil. I honestly can't say anything new here, because it doesn't morph a lot! But hey, this is delectable. Not too foody even for gourmand-scent-hating me, and definitely highly sexy. If this comes around again next year, I'll have to spring for a bottle (unless I find it somewhere else first!)

I've never tried original Snake Oil (blasphemy!), but I do have two of the Snake Pit blends and this year's Womb Furie to compare note-wise. I can definitely pick out the spiciness that I register as being the Snake Oil, but on me this doesn't smell much of honey until very late in the drydown.

It goes through a powdery stage that I'm not sure about -- I'm in the camp that turns things powdery but doesn't mind, but my husband said it smelled just like baby powder on me. I've had it on for about three hours as of writing this and I can clearly smell the honey and pretty much only the honey, and I like it.

I'm waffling a lot on whether or not I like it well enough to keep it, though. It's pretty and sweet and yummy, but there are Snake Oil blends I like better and honey blends I like better -- but they're not as simple, either, and some days I want simple honey and Snake Oil. I need to re-try O and see how that one was on me before I make a firm decision, I think.

I really really wanted to like this. I was hoping the vanilla and the honey would tone down the incense but it just doesn't. Well, that's not entirely true. It does town it down some. The vanilla comes out about 30 minutes after dry down but it's still a very strong incense. I don't get a lot of honey. It's nice but not for me :)

I love snake oil, but I don't love this. I also didn't care for O. This smells like O big time and I really can't smell the snake oil. Very heavy on the honey, which translates on me to baby powder and funk. And oh does it linger...

If you like the scents that are really heavy on the honey you'll love it.

This! This is what I wanted Snake Oil to smell like, many moons ago when I placed my first BPAL order and received SO as a frimp. (As an aside, it's been long enough that I should probably give SO another try.)

Womb Fury is gorgeous, sensual, warm, golden and lovely! I love O, and this reminds me of the honey in O, but with a subtle incense background. At first, Womb Fury seemed to disappear on my skin, but after about 20 minutes I was surrounded by a gentle halo of loveliness, (and that's just with two tiny dabs.) I want gallons of this.

When wet, the incense note is a bit sharp, but this mellows out pretty quickly. A must try for those who have found Snake Oil not quite right on their skin.

Edited by whataboutprom

Sometimes you need to write whole reviews of all the different stages and everything, and sometimes.... you don't. This is the sticky-sweet lovely floral honeys of O, with the incense vanilla spice goodness of Snake Oil. It's mostly O at first and by the end of the scent (which I might add is 8+ hours later!) it's mostly Snake Oil. It's a little playdoughy still since the SO is so young, but I still love it. Give it another year and this will absolutely be one of my top tens. :thud:

(Mine is the '10 version.)

Edited by WidgetAlley

This is lovely, definitely a slightly sweeter, softer, lighter version of Snake Oil. Not a whole lot of throw - a plus in this case as it means I can wear it to work! I have to see if I can get a hold of some more of this, I can see it becoming a favorite.