Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

An itch that needs to be scratched: Snake Oil and three types of honey.

Am happy that I ordered a bottle of this. I'm still pretty new and figuring out what everything smells like but I was reminded of Snake Oil & O. I am interested to see how this ages a bit!

I really really really wanted this to work... :cry2:

Instead, I got a lovely spicy musky scent with honey and vanilla for a whole five minutes before it turned into hideous sweet baby powder :sick: ...I tried to keep it on for over an hour but had to scrub my skin to get it off.

I hope Snake Oil doesnt do this to me :rolleyes: ...I need to find out what oils are the ones that doe this to me!

I will be echoing many of the reviews already posted, but I really love this. The honey comes out as it dries down and becomes a glorious sweet slightly powdery snake oil. The honey is so evident but not cloying. Love!

Sigh.

So I have this thing, wherein blends with Snake Oil, inevitably end up smelling like straight up Snake Oil. This was no different I'm afraid. I was hoping for more honey, but on my skin, the SO completely trounced any other notes. It's nice enough, but on me it's just a slightly sweeter version of regular Snake Oil.

At the risk to repeat the other reviews, this is a sexy and comforting version of a rich and aged Snake oil enriched by a ton of honey similar to O, with the exception that in the drydown it`s a perfectly balanced blend and impossible to be recreated by layering the two oils. I treid and failed miserably. This is pure perfection and I`ve been slathering for days! It`s a whiffing joy festival.

I knew I'd be pleased with this--I love O, I love Snake Oil, and this pretty much smells like a mix of the two. The honey is more obvious at first and the SO takes prominence as it dries. Smells great now but I'm *really* giddy thinking about how this will smell in a year or so! Winner!

Snake Oil did not work for me. O did not work for me. But Snake Oil + honey? Totally amazing. It's sweet and sexy, without being cloying. It seems to have good throw, too. Hanging onto my imp for now!

My reaction? See Sirensea's post. Yep. Not too cloying, just niiice. (I think it helps that I have an imp rather than a bottle- the decant form speeds the aging.)

I think the closest relative to this would be Asp Viper, except I don't have to wait for the citrus note to go away or for the myrrh to sweeten up.

Not terribly complex, but terribly good.

I don't normally wear honey scents, though. Hopefully I will not be attacked by bees.

Edited by patina

In the bottle: Fresh Snake Oil & honey.

Wet on skin: Spices right away, and then a sweet honey that complements it perfectly.

Dry on skin: Spicy vanilla & honey. Yum!

Final thoughts: While I find O to be overly cloying when freshly applied (to my limit of the wearable/bearable), Womb Furie combines the best of both Snake Oil & O, though without the lasting effect Snake Oil has on me (aged Snake Oil lasts the whole day on my skin). I've been trying out a lot of honey scents lately and I find Womb Furie's drydown to be completely delicious. What fun is this scent going to be when aged!

Try if you like: Carnaval Diabolique's sweeter snakes of the Snake Pit, Snake Oil, O, honey, spicy vanilla.

Womb Furie

In the imp: I smell SO but very little honey. Maybe more vanilla?

Wet on skin: ah, now I smell honey!

Dry on skin: Snake Oil and honey-the perfect couple. I see why people say it’s like O, but it’s a lot sweeter. The honey does have a hint of that dry, biting, musky edge to it but it’s not as blatant. This is actually a really balanced blend of the heavy, heady vanilla of SO with the lighter sweetness and pollen-y scent of honey on top. It’s delightful! I also see why people say this smells a bit Play-doh-y, and I got a similar scent with Golden Priapus, a fluffy and semi-foody vanilla. This may fade with age though. This reminds me very much of a honeyed Snake Oil Chaos Theory I have, which is one of my favourites, only that CT also has coconut which this one lacks.

After a while: the Play-Doh smell does fade, as does the sharp aspect of the honey, and this seems to become much more Snake Oily. It’s still honeyed, there’s no doubt. It smells more like ‘set honey’, the honey that’s opaque and grainy as opposed to syrupy and translucent. The vanilla here smells more like the slightly gourmand vanilla which can get oversweet, but I think that’s a fresh Snake Oil thing.

To be honest, this smell reminds me of sweet sticky cakes drizzled in honey, the vanilla has gone all crumbly and foody and reminds me of cake-in fact, I don’t know why, but I smell cinnamon here! Yes! Is cinnamon a usual component of Snake Oil? It smells like cinnamon buns with honey, or spicy sticky toffee cake. I know this is billed as a sexy scent but I actually find it very cosy, a luxurious and languid comfort scent that makes me feel pampered…perfect for, well, those times of month when the womb gets furious! (At the risk of sounding TMI, I’m testing this at this particular time-how fitting!)

Verdict: believe the hype, because this is a fantastic blend-I always thought Snake Oil would be a soulmate of honey. This is proof that this is a match made in heaven. The honey is a bit like O but this is much better than O. I am not keen on O on it’s own but I have a CT with O which is one of my all time favourite scents (honey with red musk and spicy resins) and this reminds me that this sort of sharp yet vanilla-sweetened honey is really enhanced with a deep, sexy and musky base like SO. Despite a slight Play-Doh stage, this turns into the most delectable cinnamon-vanilla-honey Snake Oil scent ever after a while. It’s a surprisingly cosy scent, with a very indulgent side to it as well; it smells like some kind of sticky sweet exotic dessert. I will need to compare this with my honeyed Snake Oil CT though, to see whether I need one bottle or two. I know I’m getting one bottle, and aging it. I cannot wait to smell this in after a year.

Emoticon rating: :wub2:

Is it a keeper? I’m getting a bottle because this can only get better with age!

If you like this, try: Snake Oil, O, any of the Snake Pit, Snake Charmer, any of the Snake Oil Chaos Theories, Smut, Hony Mone, Mead Moon

I can't really add too much to the above reviews. Womb Furie is all it's cracked up to be. The Snake Oil is smooth and mellow and the O adds the sweetness as to be expected. I really, really like it. It's warm and sexy and it is going to age divinely. I'm thinking a backup bottle needs to be ordered; it's wonderful stuff. :wub2:

In the decant: Hmmm. Baby powder…

Wet: Definitely more promising when it hits my skin. Honey seems to be hit or miss on me. We’ll see which way it goes!

Drydown: There seems to be something green in here, or something else that’s sharp-smelling.

Later: The sharpness totally disappears, leaving seductive loveliness. I will probably pick up a bottle of this.

Light amber/deep goldenrod oil. Sweet, light honey with a bit of musky depth below - this is 90% honey and 10% snake oil to my nose, what a wonderful surprise (as I dislike SO)! Sniffing more closely I can pick out the different types of honey - delicate white honey, syrupy-rich SN-style honey, and the boozy, fermented mead-like honey from Mead Moon. I get a bit of musky, spicy, warm vanilla depth - but not SO distinctly.

Much the same, although the Mead Moon-type honey jumps to the fore and is by far the strongest note here - this blend reminds me A LOT of Mead Moon. But now I do get a bit more Snake Oil, and I'm one of those crazy folks who thinks it's nicer (but still not my thing) fresh - it is a little powdery and band-aid-y, but it's more mentholic, almost medicinal. There is an almost herbal edge to this blend, which I think is a big part of why it reminds me of MM so much, and it also makes this feel a bit medicinal - like honey-sweetened herbal cough syrup, but nicer than that. The red musk presence here is extremely faint - I'm not sure I'd pick it out blind.

Here comes the Snake Oil! Quite a change, but one that occurred smoothly despite its speed - SO is definitely a major player now, just 10 minutes or so later - but it's not dominating - the honeys are just as present (with the mead-like note still strongest), and overall this is very well balanced. It's smoother and well-blended, and the sharper medicinal, slightly plastic and powdery aspects have mostly dissipated, though there is still a mentholic,characteristic SO quality. But I like this much more than I like any other blend I've tested with Snake Oil in it - with the possible exception of Boomslang - and I've tested them all.

Gahhh apparently I amp Snake Oil - but also honey, though not as much - in the final drydown the Snake Oil definitely dominates and has become more plastic and mentholic and all the unpleasantness that I generally associate with SO - I take back my earlier comments. I also agree with other reviewers that one of the honey notes here is from O, a blend I REALLY abor - and that honey note seems to have amped the most, so it's sickly sweet and also plastic/fake. So basically this blend is mostly cloyingly sweet plastic honey and medicinal SO - epic fail as I expected. INTENSE throw, too.

:ack:

This does make me a bit furious...furiously scrubbing to get it off my skin!

I love the concept of this, and I love it to bits in the bottle. The honey is delicious.

However, once it hits the skin, it becomes very raw, fresh, sharp Snake Oil. Snake Oil needs about 6 months before it becomes wearable on me. Until it's been aged, I don't think I can wear Womb Furie, which makes me sad. I have hopes that it will become lovely in time!

Mmmmmm, I can smell the Snake Oil! Honey rarely works on me, but this smells pretty good! In fact, it smells just like Snake Oil... Not too much variation. Turns a bit more powdery on me than normal Snake Oil, but I am really liking it!!

As other reviewers have previously stated, this is essentially the love child of Snake Oil & O. Must have multiple bottles. This is going to age ridiculously well.

I dream in Snake Oil, literally. It's my bedtime scent, and I'm not even picky about the vintage. The Lab's honey can go either way for me, but I loved Honey Mone. That said, I had to try Womb Furie.

In the bottle, pretty straightforward. SO and Honey. I was nervous about the O comparisons, since that has a peculiar effect on my nose. More on that in a second.

Wet on the skin, out rushes the honey. Blossomy and wild like Lab honey always is, and fantastic! At first.

As this settles, the Snake Oil is crowded out by something bitter and sharp. It actually took me several skin tests to nail it, but it's red food coloring. It's the olfactory equivalent of spicy cupcakes with very red frosting. Damn. :cry:

I want this to work so badly that the bottle will stay with me. Aging can fix a lot of things, right? Then there's the name, heh. This has the ass-kickingest name EVER. :wub2:

This is surprisingly light on me, for Snake Oil. However, it does cling for a long time in spite of that. I'm sure it will get stronger with age.

It's basically what it says on the tin- Snake Oil with honey. It's really delightful- the warmth of the honey makes my nose feel good. On a scale of one to stellartacular, this is 'yummy'.

In the bottle and fresh on the skin it smells exactly like snake oil+O. :wub2:

But for some reason it has NONE of the staying power O or Snake Oil has on their own. :huh:

I really hope it gets stronger with age...if it does, it could be the bestest BPAL ever.

We shall see.

this was a tough one. on the one hand, i love honey. on the other hand, BPAL honey notes don't really smell of honey to me, just sweetness. more of a nectar than a honey, but still fairly artificial. as for snake oil, it's a nice scent, inoffensive and enjoyable, but it's not one i'm superdupercrazy about. however, it's the one scent that gets the most compliments when i wear it. so, there's that. also, lots of reviewers have said "O", which is incredibly gross on me, so that made me nervous.

in the bottle i can't... *whiff*... actually smell much here. *scratches head* it's sweet and that's about all i'm getting.

wet on skin whoof! hello, honey note. i can smell this from two feet away. it's also got that almost-but-not-quite snake oil baby powdery note in the throw.

dry on skin it only has a touch of that sharp-ish fresh snake oil mank, which is nice. it's not quite the mellow sweetness of the aged version, but close. meanwhile, the honey continues to read as just "sweet" to me, although there's something almost floral going on here, which is making me think "nectar" again. verdict? a softer, gentler snake oil, significantly more conventionally girly. the comparisons to O? well, sorta. the honey note is similar, but it has none of the burnt plastic of that blend on me.

'O' usually turns into liquorice on me but even though my Womb Furie is mostly 'O', the Snake Oil adds depth and keeps the 'O' in check. This is really lovely :yum:

Wet: a bit baby powdery - I began to worry!

Dry: Honey, honey and more honey! I'm not familiar with Snake Oil (yet) and I am smelling a bit of the spices if I sniff my wrist but the throw is definitely honey.

I <3 honey so this is great stuff!!

Hubby LOVES it!! ;)

-Mel

Edited by glitterlips

My skin chemistry turns this into original Snake Charmer, only it's a lighter version of it. I love O and I can't recall what Snake Oil smells like by itself. This initially goes on smelling just like O and only O. In a reasonably short time, 10 minutes or so, the honey steps back and Snake Oil comes forward and takes over. It still holds a little of the honey note from O, making it sweet and sexy--- not that Snake Charmer wasn't sexy, but it was definitely way more strong and perfumey with all of its other notes. This is very nice but I prefer plain ol' O for my sexiest BPAL fix.

:heart:

Oh, you want more detail than that, eh?

If you love honey, and BPAL honeys are delightful on you, you'll love this.

The Snake Oil is like a fine mahogany steed on which the honey rides: you notice it, to be sure, admire it, but Honey draws your attention back.

I expected it to be strong - high waftage - but, while a little bit goes a long way, it sticks pretty close to the skin.