Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A scent of pearls and ivory: orris, violet leaf, narcissus, and Madagascar vanilla.

Violet and vanilla are strongest on my skin. I can smell the orris root underneath as well, but violet and vanilla dominate. Edited by angelicruin

In the decant: I'm getting a lot of the green violet leaf and narcissus. There's something a little astringent, too. It seems familiar, but I can’t place it. Maybe that's the orris? I’m not really sure what orris is, though..

Aha—just looked it up on Wikipedia. Orris root is an ingredient in many brands of gin. My husband loves gin. That explains the familiarity.

Wet: Lots of narcissus! Beautiful. Narcissus is one of my favorite flowers, scentwise.

Drydown: The vanilla is finally peeking through. This smells like what I always imagine candied flowers would taste like.

Later: So pretty!!! Springlike and lovely. But it seems to be fading fast. I'll have to wear it for a day and take some additional notes.

After wearing for a full day: Nope, it doesn’t last. It's VERY pretty, but I can't justify getting a whole bottle of something that fades so quickly.

:cry2:

A sweet vanilla floral. I wonder how the vanilla will age... Very light, but I like it!

Holy hell, FLOWERS! FLOWERS! FLOWERS! And something that smells like a flowered hot dog.....I can't quite pinpoint what it is. Ewwwww! I'm sure it smells lovely on others, but whatever the components are in this (and trust me, I will be seeking out what they are so I never combine them again) they don't mix well on my skin chemistry.

Creamy vanilla, violet leaf & narcissus. It's soft, yet the orris adds it's usual dusty feel. The florals are fresh and light. This is so simple and stunning. I am so happy I ordered a 5ml blindly.

I love that orris :heart:

violet leaf makes it very old lady-ish but I always like that ^_^

narcissis has never gone good on mys kin before, so this is the first time.. EVAH!

and as a final touch the beautifull vanilla makes it perfectly wearable for me

I REALLY DO NEED A BOTTLE.

I love violets and vanilla, so I thought for sure this would be a winner on me. It didn't smell like violets too much though. I could smell them in there, but this was more like lilac -- similar to penis admiration actually.

After some hours on, you finally get to that vanilla note, but it is soooooooo light. I had to really get in there to smell it.

And then is was completely gone.

It must have to do with my skin chemistry, but Faith is amazing on me and this was just "eh." I wish my experience had been like some of the other reviews. If you like vanilla and violet, you're going to have to give this a try at least.

Oh my this is nice.

Imp: Sweet floral, definitely vanilla and violet with something dusty and dark

Dry: Beautiful vanilla violet with what smells like dustiness, but not in a gross way because the vanilla overpowers it. It's really gorgeous and will be considered for a bottle.

Could easily be worn all year round, although it doesn't really scream "summer" to me.

I ordered a bottle of Signior Dildo unsniffed. I've been going through Antique Lace withdrawals and read reviews that taunted me with "creeeeamy vanillaaaaa" and gave in.

My brain said "SUCKER, there is narcissus in there, enjoy your FLORAL DOOM." My heart said "OMGOMGOMG VANILLA VANILLA VANILLA STFU."

I got the bottle, let it settle, dabbed a little on from the rim. "WOE" cried I, for all I could smell was horrible floral doom. No vanilla, not a bit. Then it started drying and for about five minutes I COULD smell a lovely creamy vanilla. I actually applied a couple more dabs to make sure I wasn't imagining it, because this blend is very light on my skin. Once all the oil was dry, sadly, the flowers took over again. It doesn't smell as sharp as it could but it's still too floral for me and there is nowhere near the amount of vanilla I'd need to compensate for the narcissus.

HO HO HO WAIT. I spoke too soon -- an hour later, the vanilla amped up and balanced AWESOMELY with the florals. I'm happy with it; the vanilla is the good creamy stuff, indeed. It becomes almost invisible on my skin after a couple of hours, at least to me, but my husband can still smell it (and thinks it smells good, which is rare with florals), so I think that's just my nose. This bottle will stick around after all.

Edited by karen

Ah, skin chemistry. This is why I don't usually test on my arm: On my arm, I get a creamy floral. Nothing too thrilling, nothing too offensive, just kind of pretty. But I usually wear scent on my chest, not my arm, so that's where it went today. It turns out that I amp narcissus to the point where it might as well be single-note. No violet leaf, no orris, no vanilla. Narcissus. I resniffed the decant to make sure I wasn't misremembering what it smelled like. Nope, creamy floral in the vial. I like narcissus -- so much so that I bought a bottle of First Soft Snow, which this smells almost exactly like. *And* it fades quickly. A couple of hours later, and I can't even smell it on my shirt. Oh, well. One less bottle on the to-buy list. And I *really* wanted to get this one for the name alone!

The violet and vanilla are what tempted me to try this. In the bottle I can smell floral soap with a hint of vanilla. I really hope this doesn't turn to soap on me, hopefully the vanilla will barge past. On and wet it smells very soapy floral which, I presume, is the narcissus and orris. The vanilla is coming out as it dries and the florals are turning spicy. I've not had a hint of violet though. When dry, it's pleasant but not one I'll be wearing unles it turns creamier over time. It's just a bit too spicy/soapy/floral mixture.

I am surprised at how 'delicate' this blend is. It's a little sharp on wet, because of the orris, but ends up drying to a violet and vanilla powder. Sweet, powdery, slightly creamy.

Pretty, and not at all what I was expecting!

I was worried that the narcissus would amp on me, or that narcissus and violet leaf plus the dustiness of orris would combine to turn this into soap, but so far my fears were unfounded. Okay, maybe it does smell like soap, but it's definitely not cheap soap! :lol:

This started out as violet and vanilla with a hint of flowers and smoke/dust/something similar, but has calmed down into vanilla violet powder. Hopefully the powderiness will leave soon, since powdery scents remind me too much of my failed attempts at wearing amber and my OH GOD GET IT OFF NOW reflex kicks in.

OMG this is just soooo lovely. Not at all what I expected, but lovely nevertheless. I just wish all this beautiful creaminess lasted longer! Ultimately, I turned it into a hair mist and happily, THERE the loveliness lingers - at least it does for my so when he buries his face in my hair :wub2:

When I sniff the open bottle... fish?! :o Kinda like how people smell pickles in some musk blends I guess...

Eventually that note (which it just kinda "green" really) fades out and this is a dusty, sweet floral. It's a cousin to Morocco I think-- with the same dry yet creamy sweetness, but definitely a different floral note.

actually teh more I sniff it the more I'm reminded of Morocco.. weird! It's pretty gorgeous but definitely goes away fast.. pity :(

Oh, my! On first application, this is a demanding violet, nothing like the softness of Faith (or is it Hope?) or Violet Ray. It's definitely sweet and sexy, but a step bolder than the others. Over time, the pseudo-sharpness fades, giving way to something faintly herbal. The violet is still there, but it's tempered. It's still sweet, but less intensely. (I don't get vanilla at all.) A nice, close-to-the-skin, sexy scent.

My experience was apparently not the norm- I get creamy Vanilla coupled with a Narcissus. It's so dense. Not a whiff of Orris or Violet Leaf.

The Vanilla and Narcissus work together to make a sort of Uber-Vanilla. I am reminded of the scent of Paper Whites blooming.

Like an 80's bridal gown with big hair. Beautiful but way too much.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

This is sooooo dry! It's like I took some really pretty floral-scented spray starch and ironed it against a piece of damp vanilla-powdered linen until it got really hot and dry. There isn't one negative thing I can say about this and it lasts for hours and hours on me. It only gets better as time wears on because then the vanilla (very dry and not sweet) comes out more but it never stands alone; at least not on me. It's a tad fresh, cool and and spicy in the way that Hod is but the similarities end there. I'm thinking that this will age very well.

I had super high hopes for this but was glad I didn't spring for a bottle in the end.It starts off promising then BAM, the fastest morph in the world into[/color]LOULOU by Cacharel in a never released extrait, super-strong version too.It got stronger and stronger until I was feeling sick and had to wash it off. My skin plus dildo clearly equals FAIL. I don't blame the perfume as it started fine!

Edited by cinnamonmel

A soft, delicate, creamy and powdery floral. And I mean that in the best way possible :yum:

I was surprised by how much I liked this one. Out of the bottle - very sweet, dried down and was very nice - still sweet, but not headhache sweet. Got an imp first, then searched out a bottle.

This starts out very perfumey on me -- narcissus tends to be a perfumey sort of flower for me. The vanilla in it is really nice, but it never overpowers the perfumey floral scent. I sorta like it, but it just stays a little too floral for me.

A perfumey floral with a vanilla underpinning. Unfortunately there is a sort of astringent note that goes rather nail polish remover-like on my skin.

Are we reviewing the 2013 version here, too?

This is nothing but sweet musk. I do not get the usual plasticky unaged BPAL vanilla here, though I assume that the "sweet" is the vanilla.