Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Black Pearl

Evocative of the sea's unplumbed mysteries. Gentle and lovely, but menacing and profound. Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk.

Initial thought: sweet and warm. Pretty! Similar, but a deeper scent than O

A few minutes later: shaving cream???? *wails* The initial scent was so nice!

Later: shaving cream with coconut. Sigh. Dissappointing. I should find out what scent it is that turns into shaving cream on me.

In the bottle: This smells so similar to Diptyque's PHILOSYKOS to me, which is fig & white cedar, but I think it smells like damp fresh coconuts. I *love* Philosykos, but never sprung for the perfume. I'm so excited to try this!

On: Gorgeous!!!! Coconut is one of my all time favorite scents, and this is lovely. Coconut with a little sweetness from the hazelnut & just a hint of floral to keep things interesting.

Dry down: Fades pretty quickly on me... next time I will slather. :P The coconut has really stepped to the background as hazelnut steps forward. The floral notes are a bit powdery now. Warm sweet soft blend.... I feel like I should be relaxing on the beach somewhere applying suntan lotion - no cares in the world.

I love this scent! I see a big bottle in my future...

In the bottle, I can barely smell anything at all. Fresh on, I get almost nothing but coconut, and not terribly much of that. After it's been dry for a while, the iris peeks out a little bit. Staying power is fairly low; after 8 hours, it's effectively gone. "Menacing" seems to be entirely the wrong word to describe this scent. But I do like it, and I'm finding that it's nice to have some scents that don't throw much, for times when I want the mental lift of knowing I'm wearing it without having to listen to R.'s comments. I don't think he even noticed I had it on. :P

I can smell the coconut, but instead of the warm smell of white musk, I smell something very dry, the smell I associate with white sandalwood. This could well be the iris, as I've noticed that in combination with white sandalwood in some of Beth's blends beefore.

All-in-all, this is a sandy, deserted tropical beach...

This reminds me of going on a Disney cruise for my 15th birthday (happy times <3).

It's like creamy coconut scented sun tan lotion, ocean breezes, sand, and - most importantly - a hint of nonalcoholic pina coladas. It is a sort of light scent on me, but very long lasting and definitely not so light that I don't catch hints of it at random points throughout the day.

Black Pearl is sweet, creamy, and refreshing on me. A perfect summer scent.

Very tropical-vacation-lovely :P

Edited by Little Bird

In the bottle: candy. Specifically, from one of the kidlets, lifesavers candy.

On skin initially: strongly boozey, almost like cough syrup, with an underlayer of floral.

After an hour: this morphs nicely to a smooth, creamy coconut scent with a hint of a nice floral (the iris) and a bit of hazelnut peeking out to keep the coconut from smelling like tanning lotion. It does remind me of pina coladas. A keeper, for certain.

ADDED July 22:

In the bottle: sweet, sweet coconut.

On skin initially: Coconut amplifies, smelling stronger than the bottle, with a hint of hazelnut underneath.

After an hour: Still coconut, toned down with a wonderful hazelnut overlay, and just a hint of floral in the background. A keeper.

(ironically, I received an imp of Spooky around the same time, and on my skin, Spooky was Black Pearl plus a teasing whiff of mint!)

Edited by Essay 28

Imp: Smells like food-grade vegetable il and violets. Violets? Eh?

Wet: Violets! Okay, I know it's the iris, but I think this is going to go into my violet pack.

Drydown: OMFG, I love this!It's creamy and rich, like a hazelnut latte with lashings of cream, but sipped after you've eaten a violet pastille.

Overall: Need a 5 ml. Possibly a 10ml. This reminds me a little bit of suntan lotion, but even more of relaxation on a warm summer's evening, drinks in hand, watching the sun set. :P

Oro

Mmmm- this smells a bit like violet when first applied. After about five minutes the coconut starts to come through. This is very soft and sensual. After several hours the hazelnut comes through. This is very nice but I was hoping for a stronger, more tropical coconut blend. This is another one that I'll have to try a few more times to see if it's really for me or not.

Review Black Pearl

Bottle (Imp): Oh, this smells sweet.

Just On: It's sweet, and smells like coconut icing maybe. I hope this one stays nice, as I am loving it big time right now.

An hour or two later: The sweetness faded just a touch, and it still smells fairly nice. I can't ID what scents it has in it, but it's nice. It's smooth, rich, and creamy smelling.

Around 6 hours: The sweetness has started to go away, and there isn't a lot left to this. I think I smell a bit of hazelnut?

12 hours: It's pretty much gone, though I once in a while get the faintest whiff of it.

Overall: I think I like it. I'll be trying it a few more times for sure.

After reading other reviews: Wah. It doesn't last on me like it has on several others. I do like it though, and I expect that I'll keep this one handy.

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a word or two: Coconuty hazelnut.

In the imp: Coconut, iris and white musk. Not bad.

On skin, wet: Very floral, coconut-y musk with a distinctly plastic hazelnut element.

On skin, dry: I love the coconut and white musk in this, but it's a little too floral, and I don't like the hazelnut in it. My skin distorts it oddly.

Conclusion: I'm undecided about this. If it weren't for the iris and hazelnut, I'd be all over this. I'm wondering if it might be less floral and hazelnut-y in a scent locket...

Edited by Aredhel

I ordered a 5ml of Black Pearl blind based on the note description, then purchased an imp on the forum because I'm impatient.

This started out sort of nutty sweet with a creamy bit of coconut. The coconut note I can pick out isn't Hawaiian Tropic/Suave Shampoo coconutty, but more like the somewhat earthy & smooth smell of real coconut. After I have it on for a little while, I can pick up the Iris note. I find this rounds the fragrance out nicely.

It will be a few weeks still until my 5ml arrives, but I am so glad I ordered it. I love Black Pearl, both on me and on my guy.

Initial Impressions: Somewhat powdery iris scent with a touch of coconut.

Wet: Infusion of iris -reminescent of Florence. Seemed to be very overpowering on me. Of course, I put a *wee* bit too much on to truly be objective. :P It was a dry scent. It soaked into my skin.

Dry: Coconut welcome to the party! After the first 20 minutes, things begin to settle in nicely. I feel as if I have been drenched in a latte with coconut cream and a shot of hazelnut. The iris and orris have settled down somewhat except on my clothes. They are still very apparent there.

Final Drydown: The musk peeks out under the coconut to ground this and give it staying power. It lasted nearly 9 hours on me.

I will wear this often, but I will be a bit more judicious in my application.

Black Pearl

Preconceived notions: It sounds languid, tropical, elegant, and sensual.

In the vial:

water and coconut

On me: Violet, definitely, and some coconut, and some other flower.

In 20 minutes:

There’s some kind of fruit entering the picture. Fig? Plum?

In 35 minutes:

The fragrance as a whole is more subdued. It’s very exotic. I still get a violet, coconut, purple fruit, watery scent from this.

In 55 minutes:

About the same. It’s very relaxing. A great scent for a lazy day. And though it doesn’t smell like suntan lotion to me, I get the feeling of lying out under the sun, or sitting out in the sun. Sitting or lying. Definitely not doing anything. Perhaps drinking something like tea or a martini (though I’ve never personally had a martini).

Overall:

Definitely a keeper!

*Sniff, eyes roll, swoon*

This is one of my "OMFG" BPALs. It's nice to know, after all these months, that a regular catalog scent can surprise me. This scent is utterly creamy, and creamy is my favorite BPAL adjective. :P

It smells mostly like coconut and iris (so smooth and rich!). I wasn't expecting this lovely floral at all--what a gorgeous scent. The iris reminds me of orchid--sweet and vanillaish, creamy (there's that word again) and rich. The musk stays in the background and helps the scent last longer. I don't smell the hazelnut, which is just as well.

Definitely need a big bottle.

Edited by Shollin

Oh god. This has all the beautiful throw that I love from Blood Pearl but it's more a 'wet' smell, more fruity but not overwhelmingly so. In the vial it seems very coconutty with something of flowers, on my skin they recede into this beautiful blended mix that's zoomed straight up to the head of my favorite's list. :P

In the bottle:

I definitely smell coconut but more than anything this smells floral ;_;

On me:

I am SO disappointed right now. I had such high hopes for this and all I can smell is VERY strong Iris. It's giving me a headache it's so strong. After about 15 minutes it tones down a little and I think I smell a little coconut and musk, so it warms up a little bit but the Iris is still too much for me. I wasn't really expecting that from this scent.

Final note:

Someone who enjoys Iris will love this, and I might keep my imp just for the late stages of barely there softness, but I won't be buying a big bottle.

EDIT: June 28th - I needed to come back and say that I tried this again today. I had much better results this time, and though the Iris is still quite strong on me, the coconut came through quite well finally. If this happens again, I might have to reconsider the bottle :P

Edited by Brianne

On me, the white musk and floweriness goes spicy sweet in a soapy way. Very minimal hazelnut, but it's lurking around the edges.

Nice, but not for me.

I just received my 5 ml of this yesterday.....I had been waiting so patiently and to my misfortune it does not work on me like I thought :P I was hoping this would be my signature summer scent and upon initial application it smelled very "floral" on me and I could not smell the coconut hardley at all. I waited because I wanted to see how it was going to be on my skin as it warmed up. I started to smell a bit of the coconut which I was happy about. I continued smelling my wrist off and on and after over an hour - on me anyway - it smelled like drugstore vanilla musk.....I am so stressed out about this one. I am going to give it another try and if I have to I will mix it with something else so I am able to use it. I guess I was hoping for mostly sweet coconut, maybe a little musk and not a lot of floral.

Ok, this is my first review. I´m slightly nervous. :P

At first it´s some flower, maybe it´s the iris? I have no clue what iris smells like, but his reminds me of something orchid, some tropical flower. Very soon it turns *sweeeet*, very sugary, I think caramel would be the closest word. I keep sniffing my wrist, it´s so yummy! But then... floral again... I´m not too fond of that flower, I want more caramel!!!

It last for hours (but then again almost anything does on my skin), and when I go to bed I want to snuggle up to myself :D It´s all musk-y now and makes me think of a white musk perfume I used to wear when I was 13 or so, which is weird, but nice-weird.

And, sniffing the imp again a couple of days later, it´s caramel again!!! Yay!!! I would concider buying a bottle of this at some point, but right now I don´t think I should marry the guy I lost my virginity to, I need to sleep around a little first :D

First impression: Sweet but I can't really tell what's making it sweet - then, the coconut becomes obvious.

Dries down to: The coconut fades, and violets come out.

Additional comments: I must be getting the "violet" from a combination of the iris and white musk and I can't distinguish the hazelnut at all. I love this scent but it's very light and will need lots of touch-ups.

Lasted: 3-4 hours

Rating: 4 out of 5

Very floral when first wet. Not liking the wet stage. Definitely smells like a sweet violet-like floral, but I think that may be the iris. Makes my stomach feel a little whoozy. After an hour or so pick up on hazelnut, but still has the floral bit going.

Fell asleep with this one on. After waking up, it smells deeper, not floral, and coco-nutty. I like the dried stage, but I really don’t like it while it is wet.

I'm not keeping this one - off you go!

Wet: amazing! I can smell all the ingredients listed equally

Dry: Although still mostly balanced, the hazelnut is coming to the forefront

Dry-down: I don't know how, but the dry-down smells a lot like Oscar de la Renta, which is a spicy floral. Why would this be spicy on me? Oh well. Swaps away.

ahem....where is johnny depp when ya need him.... :D

ok, all kidding aside......

the top note of this blend is coconut.... :P

not working well with my chemistry at all ..... :D

i am not sure as to what the other scents are that come out on me.....

a bit of floral....tiny bit milky....but that dadburned coconut is overpowering

all of it ... boo..... not a scent for me .... :D

Why I tried it: This one was in an ebay lot that had other things I wanted in it. Since it's got coconut, I would never have bought it.

In the bottle and wet: Coconut!

Drying down: The hazelnut showed up and it was nutty coconut. It's a good coconut, mind you; it doesn't exactly take me back to the 70s and Hawaiian Tropis tanning oil.

Dry later: It balanced out nicely, a blend of a sort of warm, nutty floral and -- you guessed it -- coconut. If I liked coconut, I'd probably like this.