Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Black Pearl

Evocative of the sea's unplumbed mysteries. Gentle and lovely, but menacing and profound. Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk.

Oh my, another BPAL which has floored me. From the description alone I got a 5ml I was sure I'd get along with this one (despite not knowing what the florentine iris would smell like). Its got a lovely sensual scent, which makes me feel so relaxed, ah perfection in a bottle.

I cant smell the hazelnut much but I can smell the slight violet scent (presumably from the Iris) and coconut mainly. This is a perfect relaxing scent to calm down after a long day.
:P

the lab. i love them. freebie. pearl, black. brain overload.

this is the tropical scent i've been SEARCHING for. initially, i couldn't really decide if i liked the way it smelled in the vial. now, i want to drink the vial. i smell hazelnut, coconut, and something luxurious and creamy behind them. i can almost smell bananas, but i think that may be my untrained nose sniffing out the iris, or my brain superimposing tropical fruit into the image this oil invokes.

i'm so glad i took the plunge and ordered a 5mL of this unsniffed.

this is the scent of a gorgeous view of palm trees, the ocean, and the large moon through glass panel windows in a top-dollar hotel. this is the scent of lazily strolling on the beach at night, pina colada in hand, and feeling the sand between your toes.

so unbelievably gorgeous. this is sexy without being incensey or dark.

edited for stupid typos. black pearl makes me goofy.

Edited by diabolique

I had high hopes for Black Pearl because of the coconut. I was worried about the Florentine iris, which on me is very similar to orris and violet. When I first put on Black Pearl, it smelled wonderful, the coconut and hazelnut were so creamy and delicious. But then the iris came through and kept getting stronger until the point I had to wash it off. I think it's a scent I would love to smell on someone else, but on me for an extended period of time it's headache-inducing.

Sexy, feminine, and gorgeous. Sweet floral in the vial, this was very much a creamy coconut on first application. Absolutely stunning and smooth. The iris comes out a bit, adding something mysterious and utterly sexy, but never overpoweringly floral. There was something almost a little salty to this as well and I was reminded of the mediterranean at night when I went to Spain. I could not stop sniffing myself on this one. Definite keeper

Black Pearl is simply gorgeous!

I love the coconut note in The Star, so I was really looking forward to trying Black Pearl. It is even better than I imagined.

There is not much to add to the above reviews: this is indeed smooth, creamy, tropical and as intoxicating as a drink.

Not only a keeper, but an instant new favourite! :P

In the bottle: I'd agree with many of the others- Black Pearl has a creamy tone, and coconut is motioning wildly for attention. There's a dusty smell underneath, though, that I can't identify- I would say maybe it's the musk, but it's making my nose tickle a bit. The only other scent that does anything similar is Kabuki.

On my skin: I'm not sure what to think! Tropical beach images come to mind, but the scent is heavier and darker in some way. The coconut is fighting to stay on top, but there's another scent that's weighting it down a bit, and making it sweeter than I would think it is naturally. Maybe that's the hazelnut? I can smell the musk in the background, but I don't think I can really smell the iris at all.

I didn't notice much change over time in the scent itself- it stayed a heavy, sweet, dusty coconut. It was long lasting- I put it on several hours before I went to bed, slept 6 hours, and could still smell it the next morning! Overall, though, I don't think it's for me- it's pretty in a way, but something about the hazelnut/coconut combination isn't working on my skin. I'll be putting my imp up for swaps.

This is a fabulous concoction,quite cheery with an underlying sensuality.

It turns quite coconutty on me reminding me of triopical holdays.

Very pleasant lasts quite well on me, and is nice and refreshing.

Not in my top ten, but a keeper nonetheless.

This is now one of my OMFG BPALs - I put it on yesterday afternoon, and I instantly knew I wanted a bigger bottle of it. It's gorgeous. On me, Black Pearl is about half coconut and half floral - I can't really smell any of the hazelnut, and the musk isn't very strong. It is quite tropical smelling - perfect for winter days when I have to wear about 6 layers of clothing so I don't freeze (like today). I think it would be ideal for summer too - it's light enough that it wouldn't suffocate people. I bigger bottle for sure!

Holy shit. My sister is going to freak over this!

I got this from the lovely silverangel.

It is a warm, breezy night on a black sand beach. That is the image I get. I normally am not a "tropical" fan, but this is just unbelievable. My sister is always searching for the smell of the beach in a bottle. I got some Pele for her, hoping it would be perfect. I KNOW she is going to jump up and down and scream when I give her Black Pearl.

Coconut, iris, hazelnut, musk....I can smell them all, but not seperately. Perfection!

I guess I should stop being floored by Beth's genius. Her oils are truly art.

Edited by ewalk

Black Pearl

As I :P Perversion so I was so excited to see this as a freebie in my latest order. It smells beautiful in the bottle, warm hazlenut and sweet coconut. Very impressive.

Sadly just after applying I get a sharpness from I'm guessing is the Florentine Iris and it sadly makes me feel a bit ill. Gah.

Black Pearl was a freebie from the Lab, and I was excited to try such a new scent. This is a sweet scent, and it took me a while to discern the different notes (insofar as my untrained nose can even do that).

Out of the imp, Black Pearl was pure sweetness to me, in a pleasant way, but not particularly distinctive. After about five minutes on my skin, the notes began to emerge, particularly the coconut. At this point, it also smelled very department store, "fancy lady" to me (that's a technical term). During the drydown the scent mellowed and smelled less like a fancy lady. :P Instead, I could smell the rum and coconut and sense, rather than smell, the "beachiness" of the scent. Alas, it did not make me feel like a pirate.

Although the scent grew on me, I knew that I could make someone else happy with it, so I swapped it away. By all reports, the recipient of the swap is loving it. I'm just not a sweet-oil girl. But I'm glad I got to try this oil.

I've found my first 10ml bottle!

In the bottle: Coconut, but not the overly sweet smell of Mounds candy.. more like shaven coconut or coconut juice.

Wet: Good Lord.. this is the first BPAL that I seriously want to DOUSE myself in from head to toe. I was standing in the Black Broom and swiping it over my wrists and neck and behind my ears and rubbing it all over. The scent is positively intoxicating, sweet but not cloyingly so - it doesnt smell like candy - the musk really counters the foodiness.

Dry: I was sitting in a hot car in traffic coming down from LA and I just exhuded this aura of coconut goodness. It made me think of lazy hot afternoons laying in the sand with a romance novel, pages stained with suntan oil. If I could eat me I would.

I got home and my husband jumped my bones. This is the first BPAL that he didnt wrinkle his nose and tell me I smell like incense.

love love LOVE.

The Black Broom was all out of it.. and I was muchly sad. I drove all the way up there hoping to not have to wait for it to ship from BPAL and get instant gratification. Alas... into the queue I go. :D

Update: I am really really sad now. I got a 10ML of this (after having had 3 imps of the stuff) and it smells different . Its too much hazelnut and iris and I cant make out the coconut anymore. It actually makes me sort of sick smelling it now. I can't get over how much I loved it originally and now I cant stand to wear it. I've kept it to see if it would smell different at other times of the month and it doesnt. :D It didnt pass the 5 minute wash off test.

Have to get rid of it now.

:P

Edited by nhough73

First sniff: In the vial, iris is all I can smell.

Wearing: My skin grabs the coconut and amplifies it to the nth degree. I LOVE coconut, so this doesn’t bother me at all. :P The iris is still very apparent underneath. I think I need to wear Black Pearl again – the iris and coconut kept switching places all night, and iris isn’t my favourite.

This was a generous freebie that the Lab gave me in my Frost Moon order. From the description alone I'm drooling. I can't wait to try it.

In the Bottle: Rich, creamy, coconut. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you...no wait...I'm always an Almond Joy kinda girl;) Oh....this is heavenly! I can't wait to try it on! *dances and squeeeeees*

On Me: Coconut and a light musk at first that makes me think of Coppertone tanning oil. Yeah, you know that you've lived on the beach too long when... But then, it changes to a light iris floral along with it, which totally gets rid of the too much suntan oil scent. I'm not saying that the coconut isn't still there, oh heavens no, its just that now its a lot more complex! If I was a guy, I'd be sporting wood! This has got to be the most exciting, evocative, and sexy scent that I've smelled so far! This is sex on a moonlit beach without the annoying sand in places where no sand should ever be! This is warming and sensual, a really gorgeous woman suntanning nude at Playlinda (the local nude beach). I could just eat away at my wrists, and I swear I just might shudder when my hubby smells my wrists.

Yeah, a Gallon of this too. For someone that hates going to the beach, I really like the scents of the beach. This is totally a Cocoa Beach experience. *le sigh*

Initial Impression:

creamy and coconuty! I just love this. Got this as an extra imp and now want a full-size.

After Wearing It:

At first I smelled all coconut. After a few hours I smell the floral notes, and it's just a beautiful fragrance. Truly smells like the name. Regal like pearls, but different because they are black pearls. :P

Ooh. Black Pearl. Who doesn't want to smell like a pirate ship? :P

In the vial, this smells dreamy & creamy & heavenly of coconuts! I love coconut, and was dying to try this imp out!

Putting it on, the coconut smell becomes more apparent and there is a slight hint of the hazelnut & iris in the background.

After wearing this almost all day now, the coconut has all but disappeared and I'm left with a very perfumey iris smell. I want the coconut back!!!

Overall, it's fairly nice, but a little too perfumey for my tastes. I think the iris is a bit overwhelming & cloying on me. Ah well. Maybe the Star will work out better for a coconut scent.

This is good!!! It has jumped to my top 10 immediately.

Warm, sweet coconut with Musk underneath.

This is a decadent holiday in South France, St-Tropez, plage Kontiki, club 55. Old rich man drinking rum looking at girls in innimini bikini's pass by. Smelling of coconut suntan, sunkisses skin and... sex.

Love love love :P

I love iris and coconut, and while the soft/sweet/tangy/not nutty scent of hazelnut isn't one of my favorites, it was towards the end of the components list, so I had to give Black Pearl a try.

Putting Black Pearl on, I'm surprised at the aquatic feel of it. Sure, Beth talks about the sea in the description, but she doesn't list any aquatic notes. They're present, though - gentle and swaying and something you could get lost in.

The iris doesn't make much of a statement on me - I know it's what anchors this scent, but it's supporting cast, as is the musk. Occasionally I get a whiff of soft peppery powder (not baby powder, but something ground fine and dusty), which is the same thing that happened when I experimented with a drop of florentine iris and hazelnut from my stash of single notes. Add the coconut in, and you have a beautiful contradiction of the aquatic notes, the creamy sweetness of the coconut, and that interesting dusty - sandy beach? - combination.

All in all, Black Pearl is fabulous. Almost as important in my book, it's interesting. Aside from BPAL fans, I'm not going to run into anyone else wearing this, and in fact have gotten several questions about what I'm wearing when I have Black Pearl on. It's a soothing scent, and I love that wearing it all day allows time for a few disquieting flashes of the iris and hazelnut combination, just to keep me on my toes.

Black Pearl has good staying power, solid intensity without ever being overwhelming, and stays close enough to me that I can smell it while still having just the right amount of "throw." If you haven't tried it already, it's worth purchasing an imp to slather on yourself and see what you think.

At first sniff, Black Pearl reminds me of a cross between Chloe and Sand & Sable. Actually, reminds me a LOT of Sand & Sable, which I wore and adored for many years while I was a poor college student on a "ramen noodles & Kraft dinner" budget!

While wet on my skin, the predominant notes are the coconut and hazelnut. I think this is my favorite stage because I am a lover of foody, gourmand scents.

On drydown, the coconut and hazelnut fade into the background and the iris jumps out and stays there with the musk second in command.

I've only worn Black Pearl twice, and it is already on my top 10!

It smells yummy in the vial. (Note: All my BPAL imps have smelled wonderful so far. I honestly haven't found a smell in the batch I didn't like on first sniff, even if it wasn't something I'd see myself wearing.) This blend is too floral for me, though. The coconut and hazelnut get lost in the iris scent on me, and I'm not fond of florals. It would be yummy on someone else. It had about an average lingering time for what I've seen in BPAL oils. I didn't need to reapply.

well, I got an imp of this from BabyKitty, and a 5 ml bottle from Cinder. And thank you both for it! :P

if you're a Lush fan, this will remind you a lot of Coolaulin conditioner. If you're a Sage Machado perfume fan, this will remind you of Onyx.

Now, the thing is that while I like the coconut note in this, there's one note that I think I could do away with. I think that might be the Orris. While, Sage's Onyx smells ok on me (nothing mind-numbingly gorgeous just pretty nice), Black Pearl has this sweet note that I could do away with.

Black Pearl is very sweet and exotic, and would be gorgeous on someone else.

So, I have a 5 ml bottle + 1 imp of this, and look to the Swaps forum in the next few days while I sort the other imps out. :D

In the imp: Coconut. Yum. :P

Wet: Coconut and white musk. It slightly reminds me of the initial stages of Snow White right before that blend went wonky on me. But this doesn't do that at all! This remains yummy on me!

Drydown: The floral note starts to come out -- I can only assume that's the iris. In the background, there's a nutty note lingering about. I really like this!

Final thoughts: This is a very smooth scent. I'm not sure it's something I'd need in a bottle, but I'm definitely keeping the imp. :D

Love. It.

To me, Black Pearl is decadence in a bottle. Creamy and delectable, and yet sophisticated enough to wear to work (well... alomost :P ) Lovely scent, shot straight into my top 5 of scents.

Oooh. this is verra nice! I haven't picked up any hazelnut from it at all when wearing it, but for me, that's not such a bad thing. :D

The coconut kind of faded out too quick for me, but it was wonderful layering this on top of BBW Creamy Coconut lotion.. as far as the perfume itself goes, it starts out as musky coconut, then fades into a nice white musk with the tiniest hint of iris. Putting it on top of the lotion keeps the coconut smell lasting, which is all to the good! :P