Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Black Pearl

Evocative of the sea's unplumbed mysteries. Gentle and lovely, but menacing and profound. Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk.

In the imp: oh my, that smells good. Really dazzling coconut... like fresh coconut meat... and what I think is the iris. It's very refreshing from the start.

On me, wet: similar to the imp smell, but I'm amping something in this because it's getting VERY strong on my skin.

On me, dry: very strong, but very true to the original scent. It... smells... opalescent. This is really weird, and I don't know how to describe it better than that.

Throw and duration: amazing and almost overwhelming throw... a little goes a long way with this stuff. Duration's very good as well, at least 6 hours.

Overall: I can't decide if I like it on me or not. It's very strong. It's one of those LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME scents, which aren't really my thing. Also, every now and again I get a faint whiff of... playdough? Yeah, that's weird. If I had a scent locket, I'd put this in it, and I'll probably keep the imp around to sniff now and again because it's really just a startlingly unique scent.

at first this was quite coconuty like suntan lotion and i thought i was gonna hate it 'cause i don't like suntan lotion smell.

but that faded quickly and now it's got only a faint coconut smell layered with a lovely sweetness and just an overall gorgeous aquatic scent.

this isn't menacing at all to me, though, it's very warm, pretty and comforting.

does remind me of sailing, though, for sure, on a warm summer day.

i think this would be good for guys, too...though it's a very pretty scent, i can see it being unisex.

Frimped from someone at the Seattle Meet n'Sniff. What wonderful forumites we have.

I loooooooooooooooove Black Pearl.

No coconut to my nose, which is odd since in other blends coconut has really amped on me. I'm not complaining, since the blend of iris and musk is HEAVENLY. And there is something deep and warm holding those sweet notes up -- must be the hazelnut and coconut support staff -- and keeping the fragrance from disappearing into my skin as is the usual wont of such lovely light floral musks.

Yuuuuuuum.

Bottle list for sure.

Best,

Tzi

I mostly get coconut with hint of hazelnut and it's gorgeous! A lovely comforting scent that makes me wish I was living on a tropical island far away from this cold little country I live in. Definitely big bottle worthy :P

In the imp this smelled like some kind of soft rich floral, very deep, but still very feminine and not overpowering. Once I put it on, it went straight to... Baby Powder. Johnson and Johnson Extra Strength Super Soft Baby Powder.

For the last two hours it has bounced back and forth between baby powder, spicy flowers, and super sweet nuts. I only hope this one calms down a bit as it continues.

In the Bottle

This is divine – a creamy coconut smell that is slightly foody. I can smell the Iris in it too which makes it very feminine.

On My Skin

It hasn’t changed much from the imp. I’m not getting any hazelnut and only a hint of musk. So far so good!

After a Bit

The coconut has faded a bit leaving the iris in charge, now I can detect a bit of the hazelnut which rounds Black Pearl out nicely.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent – 4 Throw – 3.5 Longevity – 3.5

Over all – 3.8

Final Thoughts

I really like this blend, it is a very refreshing scent that reminds me of sitting on a beach. I’d love to pick up a full bottle of this in the future.

I can definitely smell the coconut when applying, but it disappears very quickly. VERY quickly.

It's a shame, because I do love coconut.

Why do the some of the lab's imps turn to crayon on me? :D This is the second GC (Brown Jenkins being the first) that turns to crayon on me. :D It has coconut and musk and other elements and yet I get a slightly cherry flavored crayon. Weird. :D :P

I love this. It reminds me sooo much of Sage Machado Onyx. Except less expensive, "cooler" somehow, and less sexy (sorry)! Black Pearl lovers should def check out Onyx!

Wow, I slathered this and the throw was crazy.

Wet this was all floral in a way that reminds me of little girl bath spray.

As it dries it went coconut and musky. A mysterious, warm and girly scent... a little too girly for me. As I already have Shoggoth when I want tropical goodness, so I think I'm gonna pass my imp on.

I am really surprised by this one. I didn't expect to like it at all, because musk generally doesn't work on me even if white musk sometimes does, and so far everything with coconut I've tried has been overwhelmed by that one note. Right off the top when wet the iris pops and sings loud. There's a little coconut to begin with, but I don't know what the hazelnut is supposed to smell like. Very bright and sparkling clean, barely any musk at all. As it dries the coconut comes out more prominently...very prominently...dominates...tinged with something interesting, maybe the musk at ten minutes...but no, all I get is coconut, which is nice enough but I want other scents along with it so I don't just smell like tropical sunscreen. To the swaps with Black Pearl, for an owner who will let this oil shine in all its glory!

Hmm... I believe I tried this one and didn't review it. According to my notes, this was musky coconut. No surprise there. I think I was hoping for more of the iris to come out.

ETA: So I tried it and from my impressions --- yup, musky coconut. I get a teensy bit of the iris, and at the beginning it was a bit powdery.

If you like coconut and florals, I would suggest this blend to you.

Edited by zankoku_zen

This is nice--all four of the notes are present and accounted for and they blend well. The iris floats over the surface with the coconut and musk being the more dominant notes. My only complaint would be that it's fading so quickly! Nice while it lasts.

Coconut? No.

Iris? No idea.

Musk? I guess. Maybe a little.

Violet? Absolutely.

Someone on the first page mentioned Violet candies. Yes yes yes yes yes.

Black Pearl

This is delicious and sweet in the bottle. When it touches my skin, it turns into hairspray. *cough*choke* After thirty minutes or so, the coconut and iris are rising and whatever contains the hairspray note is receding. I'm not sure about this one, yet. It's pretty, but maybe today isn't the right day or time to wear Black Pearl. I'll let it age a bit and try again in the spring.

In the imp: gorgeous dark coconut.

Wet on skin: musky coconut with florals sitting on the edge, evoking the image of golden bodies in some lush Caribbean paradise.

Recently dry: still a lovely blend of coconut, musk, and flowers--though I think it might get muskier as it goes.

Three hours later: Very faint flowers and the leftover ghostly warmth of the coconut. I am sad. :( It feels like this faded so quickly on me. It could be that my skin chemistry killed it. Or the long walk through the cold.

As another reviewer said, it was nice while it lasted... It's too nice to give up on entirely, though; I'll try again another day and see if the results can change.

In the vial: Florentine iris.

Wet: The iris is overpowering the other notes but there is still a touch of creamy coconut and a hint of white musk.

Drydown: It dries to musk, coconut and a very faint scent of iris and nuts.

Overall: After wearing it continuously for a few days, I've grown fond of the scent. It's wonderful as a everyday scent and I'm definitely getting a bottle after I finish my imp!

Edited by Ceri

Not just me then with the violets!

On me this is a very freshly cracked coconut (not at all sugary or suntan-y) and violets, no hazelnut and a good four hours til there's any white musk, which suits me fine. This could become an everyday favourite for me.

Thanks to the lovely Ifinena for the frimp of this...you're a mind reader, clearly!

Okay- Black Pearl...here we go:

In the bottle: I get a hit of something that smells like a cross between Tart-n-Tiny candies and that old-fashioned Violet candy. Crazy,,,cause I know there's no violets or anything tart in here.

On my wrist: Now I get the creaminess. This is quite voluptuous and round. The liquor and the hazelnuts give it an anchor. It is very soft and undulating by the minute.

* okay...quick sidebar: I just noticed that I used the words voluptuous and round to describe something called "black pearl"- wow...that Beth is good*

After an hour: This reminds me of Lush's Snowcake soap in a strange way...creamy, silky, nutty but instead of rose there is iris. There is a component that is coming into play that isn't quite agreeing with me though :huh?: I think it is the coconut. I really haven't worn an oil that has this in it yet. I am confounded. I keep sniffing my arm- I like it yet I don't the longer I wear it. The coconut and the iris may not be working with my skin chemistry :cry: oh I am sad about this.

I may have to find another home for this little beauty...

I am stubborn and this is hard to admit but Black Pearl doesn't like me.

Edited by cinnamonmel

On me this is mainly iris with a sweet, creamy undertone of coconut, though every now and then they trade places in predominance. It's a really light scent on me that seems to fade all too quickly.

In the imp: Wow! How very intriguing.. it's definitely sweet, true coconut.. and while I do get the feeling of the ocean from it, it's not in the usual "aquatic' sense I've come to expect from the lab's other sea blends. The combo of iris, musk and hazelnut is amazing! I can discern each component, but the blend is so unusual.. my nose is confused

wet: hello hazelnut! the hazelnut and coconut are making this almost yummy foody!

Drying down: Dries very quickly. Yes, I understand the violet note people are smelling.. but I think thats the combo of iris and musk. Iris is generally really dry, but in this blend it combines withe coconut to be quite juicy. And those hazelnuts! this is so interesting.. I will need to wear it a few more times before I make a final analysis :lol:

Edited by MCS4096

In the bottle: Coconut. Sweet, meaty, delicious coconut. A combo between a pina coloada, fresh coconut and a slight hint of suntan lotion. All of these things I loooooove. :wub2: It also has a warmth to it.

Wet: Coconut has died down a little, and I'm getting a bit of hazelnut with a flowery backdrop.

Dry: Soft coconut, soft hazelnut, and the floral has taken over the show. Along with something salty.

Verdict: Normally, I am not too big a fan of flower scents, because I'm allergic to most of them (DARN YOU ALLERGIES, DARN YOU!!!) but this is not really upsetting my allergies! Hallelujah! This is a warm, hazelnut, coconut and floral scent. It is FABULOUS. I should be on a beach somewhere, relaxing with a nice drink in my hand, soaking up the sun with this scent on.

Wet: Creamy musk.

First on: Coconut and something that smells mysteriously like opium.

Dry: Indistinct creamy floral.

In the imp it smelled of musky iris with a bit of coconut. Once it hits my skin it becomes stronger, but it's still mostly a floral musk with a tiny bit of a DRY coconut and a teeny tiny bit of hazelnut. This smells a bit powdery, but in a nice way. I'm on the fence with this one. It doesn't last very long on me, but it's nice and feminine. I was hoping for more coconut and hazelnut though :(