Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
abejita

Dark Chocolate, Whiskey, and Cognac Truffle

Dark chocolate, whiskey, and cognac truffle.

This is pretty much what you'd expect from the description. Foodie, but with a certain refinement. The dark chocolate is full of rich, deep, velvety cocoa. The whiskey darkens it further, while the cognac offers a higher, ever-so-slightly sweeter note. The booze is very forthright. This is exactly what I wanted

Wow the first review hits everything I wanted to say. I was weary of this one because of how so many people seem to react to the boozy notes. But this is just amazing. In the imp it's misleading, but put it on skin and WOW. The chocolate blooms. It is the creamiest, most delectable chocolate I've come across from BPAL. It's like biting into a luxury truffle, with the most amazing filling. Oh nomnom. It does border on foodie, because i clearly smell like amazing chocolate. It's got this pop of sweet when when air wafts just right, but a solid solid base of deep, delicious cocoa.

I got this actually to slather on my male friends to see how it works, but no. This is mine now. I also have this tendency, somehow, to make notes go a little tangier/spicier the longer they're worn over the day. So, by the end of the night this is almost a chai chocolate to my nose. I just love this.

The throw is another perfect one from the lab. Close to me, but yet not so close I can't smell it on myself XD. And when people enter my comfort zone, they notice. But they don't notice when I walk by on the other side of the room.

It doesn't last as long as I'd like- but I'd like it to last 24 hours+. It easily lasted 9 hours at the least. I reapplied after work. Love.

An obscene amount of whiskey and cognac with just the slightest hint of deep, rich, dark cocoa. Definitely not my thing. The booze is just too overwhelming to enjoy the smooth, rich chocolate.

On wet it's boozy chocolate. Smells like a cognac chocolate sauce, maybe with some cherries in there. Very realistic.

On the dry down it morphs.

You know how when you eat a chocolate truffle you don't get the chocolate flavor right away, you get a blast of something more subtle...maybe that's just me. That's how I feel this scent is. I get something delicate and soft and THEN i get the chocolate.

Honestly, it smells very much like a match that's been blown out.

I used to think I wasn't a chocolate person, though I am a foodie. But this one is really good.

It fades pretty fast so it's not a bottle purchase.

Oh dear god. In the bottle, I'm getting a blast of dark chocolate, and whiskey and cognac; as someone further up the thread mentioned, THIS SMELLS LIKE BAILEY'S, OR AT LEAST HOMEMADE IRISH CREAM IN THE BOTTLE. MUST NOT DRINK.

On my skin... it's pretty much whiskey with a hint of dusty dark chocolate underneath. Damnit. We'll see how this goes, but if keeps on, I may be selling this. Yeah. Whiskey, with chocolate too far underneath for me. Gonna pass this on to someone else.

Edited by Venneh

Dark Chocolate, Whiskey, and Cognac Truffle-

In Bottle: Woo, intense whiskey! Smells a lot like the whiskey of Mad Sweeney (which I love).

Wet: Sweet whiskey with a candy undertone. Wow, this is good.

Dry: *sniff sniff* Hellooooo? Where did you go? Wow, all I've got is this little hint of dry something, like the inside of a wood barrel, but that's all that's left. I kind of like this "inside of a wood barrel" residue, but it's so very faint.

Overall: A fast fader on me but quite delicious for what it gives.

Wet: Fresh Dark Chocolate and Whiskey straight from the bottle of Jack himself. :thud:

Drydown: This smells like a dark chocolate cordial with whiskey in it. Not only is it dead on but it actually smells a pretty good. However...I don't like Jack or Whiskey so this will have to go to another home.

Oh good grief this is strong. And sexy! I put this on after a bath (with Lush Ma Bar and Heavenly Bodies :lol: ) and came downstairs. The boy was taking out the trash and when he came back in, he thought I was making brownies.

The booze is definately there, but I don't find it to be too overpowering. The chocolate really comes through for me. This is absolutely not a safe for work scent but it will be broken out on a sexy night out. Oh yeah :yum:

Whew, it sure is whisky! I'm getting the alcohol mostly, and with the sweetness it's a smoky rum. Nice!

Oh man. This is seriously the sexiest BPAL scent I've tried yet. It might even beat out my beloved Hetairae. It's dark, rich chocolate with a rush of smoky, oaky whiskey. The cognac adds some sweetness, but there's this odd almost-marshmallow thing going on. My friend compared it to S'mores and I'm inclined to agree with her. But it's much more complex and sexier than s'mores. Definitely going to have to wear this to my SO's 21st birthday night out next week.

This was definitely a truffle scent. The chocolate is thick and rich when I first apply. It settles in and the alcohol comes forward. It smells exactly like a really expensive truffle. I like it, but it's a little foody for me.

Hahahahaha I smell like one of the alcoholic chocolates my inlaws fed me copious amounts of over Christmas.

Dark Chocolate, Whiskey, and Cognac Truffle - I love dark chocolate, I love whiskey, I love cognac, and I imagine I'd love them all together in a truffle, but sadly, on my skin, it just does not work. Chocolate blends are bad on me 95% of the time and whiskey rarely works on me, and together, the smell is really wonky with my skin chemistry. I wish it smelled more like what I imagine the real truffle would taste like in my mouth! :P

in the imp: yep boozy chocolate.

wet: chocolate and whiskey, though it's not really overpoweringly boozy either. i would probably be comfortable wearing this to work if i applied it early enough in the day. it does smell like fudge

dry: nutty chocolate, and faintly smoky, but the smoke could be coming from the last blend i tested as well.

i think i prefer the coconut and ginger truffle (which also does not have a booze note which gives it a leg up because i'm not comfortable wearing booze notes to work), but i like this is a lot more than when i first got it.

I got contact high from smelling this in the decant vial. I don't know why I put it on, maybe I thought it would work like the booze in Banned in Boston worked. This is unbearably sweet. I can't do foody + chocolate. There's almost a banana and coffee note in the mix. Must wash off nao.

Edited by mxtine

Origin:

Partial 5mL bought from glasspillars.

Preconceived notions:

I'm not much of a chocolate fan (either as food or as perfume) normally, but there's something about BPAL cocoa notes that's managed to circumvent that little obstacle. While I'm still not a huge fan of super sweet chocolate scents, cocoa and dark chocolate are working for me (in moderation), especially when they're combined with boozy notes (like here) or tobacco. So I expect this to be a big winner.

First sniff:

Oh, this is good. I get a nice cocoa scent (more like cocoa powder than candy) layered over sweet, heady, boozy cognac in the background. I'm not smelling much whiskey here yet, but that's fine. Cognac smells really good on me in BPAL blends and it's a little less intensely alcoholic in scent than whiskey is (I love boozy scents, but I don't want to walk around smelling like I've been on a bender.

Wet on skin:

Mmm, chocolate and cognac. This smells like the delicious little dark chocolate and rum ganache truffles I used to get now and then from the upscale little chocolate boutique in a town a little ways from our house, only with cognac substituted for the rum. It's rich and chocolatey, but not cloying, and deliciously boozy without being cheap smelling. This is sophisticated.

Dry down:

Smooth, almost milky, chocolate with just a bit of cognac wafting up. It makes me want to eat my arm in spite of my take it or leave it attitude toward chocolate. This is a gorgeous scent. It's not overpoweringly sweet. Not by a long shot. Soft, smooth, silky and, yes, sweet, but not cloying or ultra foody. It's almost musky on me, oddly enough. And that's a good thing.

The bottom line:

I never thought I'd see the day that I would fall so completely for a chocolate scent, but my BPAL adventures have evidently been leading up to this by teaching me to appreciate notes I never thought would work on or for me. I'm happy to say that this is an unequivocal keeper, although I'm sad that it's an LE and I don't have more of it, since I'm a hoarder of scents I love. :heart:

This is chocolates big sister out boozing it for the night and comes home with a hickey on her neck and her undies balled in her pocket. This is SEXY chocolate. The whiskey and cognac warm it up making it slightly spicy, while the deep chocolate grounds it. However, this is a night scent. I could never wear it to work. I do hope Beth brings this back.

Whoa, this is so boozy in the vial. It smells like in addition to cognac, there is also kirsch. There is a sliver of dark chocolate in there but it mixes right in with the kirsch. It's only been five minutes or so and already, this has died down a lot. At this point, it's back to booze and no chocolate. Interesting blend but not what I expected.