Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
abejita

Dark Chocolate, Whiskey, and Cognac Truffle

Dark chocolate, whiskey, and cognac truffle.

This is pretty much what you'd expect from the description. Foodie, but with a certain refinement. The dark chocolate is full of rich, deep, velvety cocoa. The whiskey darkens it further, while the cognac offers a higher, ever-so-slightly sweeter note. The booze is very forthright. This is exactly what I wanted

I'll be honest. I did not skin test this. I opened the bottle and got lots of very obvious whiskey and cognac. Not sure where the chocolate went. Perhaps it would have shown up on my skin, but I really didn't want to test this after sniffing. Although I liked a couple of the Bar scents from the Atomic Luau Lounge series, I just didn't care for DC,W&CT. It's seemingly all about the booze. I would rather drink it than smell like it. ;) And I am afraid that my skin chemistry amps alcohol notes.

ETA: I'm now skin-testing the imp that has had time to settle. This is obviously a scent that needs time to settle and age a bit. It's basically a nice combo of the three notes, and the sharpness of the alcohol note seems to have gone somewhat. This isn't so bad after all, but I don't know that I'll need more than what I have in the decant. Btw, it is dark chocolate.

Edited by thekittenkat

Super boozy! Cognac, rich,a little creamy and fruity, leads the way, with whiskey just below, and the creamy dark chocolate lightest and definitely more distant than either booze note. The chocolate note here seems different from the one in DC & KL; less rich, for sure, and I swear I get a banana note in this. Actually this reminds me a little of the Bake Sale proto, somehow! Also, this is not really that sweet nor is it really foody due to the heavy booze.

Whoa - even boozier, and now the whiskey's on top, a little sharp and a tiny bit sour, but bearable. Cognac just below, also very strong on my skin. But the chocolate has amped too, and gained in complexity - though it's still a different note than in DC & KL. It's like it has a higher cocoa content, and in fact I get some cocoa, a beautiful bittersweet (barely sweet, almost unsweetened, only that natural sweetness raw cocoa powder has) note, and not much creaminess - it's a darker chocolate, but less heavy and cloying. And I still get banana (but very lightly, and it's a natural, not at all fake note), and now some hint of spice - nutmeg, I think?

Total morph! This is still boozy, but it's much sweeter, creamier, and the notes have melded smoothly. Unfortunately, the spice has amped, and I get that sharp sort of CLOVE-y red carnation (which is also a little velvety-powdery) and still the nutmeg - in fact these are the strongest notes on my skin now, with whiskey in second place. Still some light banana. The chocolate has gone a bit darker/more intense yet, and the mild sweetness in this scent seems to come entirely from the cognac and maybe the banana and spice. Somehow though this is also much creamier than it was earlier, perhaps a side effect of the scent coalescing...it's definitely a very unique scent.

Final drydown is 85% spicy/clovey, very tactile, rich red carnation, 10% creamy sweet cognac (all the whiskey's burnt off after a few hours), and 5% faintly-banana scented super dark chocolate-cocoa. Very interesting, and richer and more foody in final drydown than many of the early stages...but this is not a carnation that I enjoy. Totally unexpected and not like anything else in BPAL, though, so I'm glad I got to try it. Good throw and great longevity.

A very lovely boozy chocolate scent. It is similar to last years dark chocolate and pepper smoked carmel but with booze.

On me the whiskey is the dominant scent and the chocolate dosen't come into play until it dries. Not as long-lasting as I'd hope for but I don't mind re-applying.

If you like booze scents (like Mad Sweeney) you will like this one!

This smelled lovely in the bottle but when it hit my skin it turned into a boozy acetone scent that dried down to a dollar store candle (waxy). :ack:

I'm gonna have to sell this one. :cry:

I like this scent. It's a touch of chocolate but mainly spicy whiskey and cognac. It smells a bit masculine, but it works quite well on me. I may just need to pick up a bottle of this.

I figured that I wouldn't like this Truffle, because I hated the whiskey in Mad Sweeney. I actually kind of like this, though I don't think that I could stand wearing it for very long. It's like equal parts sweet chocolate and slightly sour, darkly colored booze. The booziness smells smooth and a bit spicy on my skin. It's not the smoky, scary booze of Mad Sweeney.

This reminds me *a lot* of Scentsy's Bourbon fragrance (which I believe is whiskey and maple sugar). It's the same, interesting mix of sour booze + sweetness. And as much as I love smelling it every once in a while, I'm not sure that it makes a good perfume for me. It's a little too alcoholic and sour.

Dark Chocolate, Whiskey, and Cognac Truffle smells curious and fascinating, but after a while of having it on my skin, it started making me feel kinda nauseous & headachey and I had to wash it off.

I wonder if my co-workers think I am a lush now. Definite booze prominent in this blend. I get a chocolate but it smells more like a baker's chocolate than anything with any degree of sweetness.

In the bottle, a sweet, creamy booze.

Wet on skin: Bailey's Irish Cream!! Yum!!!

Drying: Well, damn it. I always hope it won't, but it usually does: I'm amping the chocolate to high heaven.

Dried: Yay! Chocolate is pulling back, thank goodness! It's coming back around to that Bailey's feel, but not as strong.

I'm thinking this is something that I can definitely wear. I always take a chance with any kind of chocolate, but I'm finding that dark chocolate isn't usually as bad as milk or white chocolate. As far as the booze notes go, they are behaving quite nicely, giving the sweetness little kick that I like quite well. Definitely more of a cold weather scent, I'll wear this through until late Spring, then probably let it sit until Fall when the temps start dropping again.

In bottle: Mmmmm…. The chocolate supports the rich cognac and whiskey scents beautifully. The cognac is slightly dominant. The sweetness in this is from the liquor rather than the chocolate. The balance is lovely. Wet: Whiskey is strongest on the skin and the balance tips way over to the boozey side. Don’t where this while driving. As it warms, the chocolate starts to strike back rebalancing it so it’s like the bottle, but sweeter. Dry: It ends up back at a slightly gentler version of the original balance in the bottle. I’m in love.

Definitely boozy on wet. Very velvety chocolate. I find that this chocolate to be an amped up version of Bliss, since there is a slight 'graham cracker' vibe on the drydown.

Source: Fresh decant from circle.

In the decant: BOOZE. I do occasionally drink both whiskey and cognac; this smells like I stuck my nose in a sticky, full glass of the latter.

Wet: BOOZE. Spilled on me. I could dab cognac on my wrist and get the same scent.

Dry: The booze steps back a bit, and I get a whiff of the chocolate - a dry, powdery baking chocolate smell. No sweetness in this at all, it's almost burnt. A faintly plastic undertone as it dries. I do not love this, which is a shame because alcoholic scents tend to do well on me.

It smells like boozey chocolate, just like it's name. As it dries the chocolate comes out more but the booze is at the front still. It smells fantastic.

In the bottle - Yeah that would be the booze, I would have said mostly the cognac is in evidence

Wet on me - Oddly, bananas, and very strong alcohol. I'm not certain that I should be driving whist wearing this :lol:

Dry on me - When the booze settles off a little it settles into a warm comforting scent with hints of fruit and tobacco

Overall - The dry down is fantastic, but the first two hours of booze is a tad scary

Wow, this is some very boozy chocolate! The dark chocolate note seems to be a lot deeper than the Key Lime Truffle, but I guess it would have to be since it has to compete with the likes of whiskey and cognac. As far as intensity and throw, this scent is amazing! It's actually making me crave chocolate really bad right now. Out of the entire Chocolatier bunch, this is the most masculine and boy is it tasty! :yum:

Holy booze! The whiskey is what I smell - chocolate and whiskey - the cognac adds a sweet tinge to this. Nothing I care for, but happy I got to try it.

Wow, this is awesome when wet--it smells like the whiskey-filled dark chocolates we used to get from German friends--high-quality and rich, and VERY boozy. I could never wear this to work! :lol: It fades really quickly though and I'm left with just a hint of cognac/whiskey after just a couple of hours. Still, it's great while it lasts.

Whooooo ... it's the booze from Imp of the Perverse tempered with chocolate!

At first all I could smell was whiskey - it reminded me a lot of Mad Sweeny. When I pulled out Mad Sweeny for a compare/contrast and the chocolate suddenly became much more obvoius in Dark Chocolate, Whiskey, and Cognac Truffle.

Personally, I love it. Normally chocolate scents don't seem to work well for me, but this has enough whiskey in it that they balance and end up fantastic. Exactly what I was hoping for.

This is the first scent that has ever tempted me to drink it right from the bottle! (don't worry, I know better).

Exactly as the name says, this is a boozy chocolate, whiskey, and cognac blend. Pure chocolate booze when first applied, on the drydown it softened, blended, and faded quickly enough that I will even be able to wear it to work. I am able to wear strong scents without a problem though, so YMMV.

Now if I can only find a drinkable version of this at the liquor store! Suggestions, anyone? :lol:

Foodies can go either way. I really want to eat this description more than anything, and that often bodes poorly.

In the decant: Yummy dark chocolate, then booze. Really nice chocolate note.

Wet: Chocolate and cognac. Suddenly I want some kind of creme de cacao and cognac cocktail. That actually sounds disgusting when I write it out, but it smells good!

Dry: Slightly boozy chocolate.

Verdict: It's a nice chocolate note, but I've got a bajillion chocolates. It just doesn't stand out enough.

On the skin: Whoa that is some whiskey and chocolate! This one smells so yummy!! I am really liking it! Instead of a biting alcohol, this is very smooth and tasty!

In bottle: dark cocoa with booze

On skin: flash of acetone, then a slightly bitter chocolate cordial

Half-hour later: still a fancy cordial, sweet and oozing

In conclusion: no overt booze, so people shouldn't be wondering if I've been drinking at work. This is a luscious candy scent, but not so sweet that it gives me a headache.

In the imp: ACK! God, this is like Willy Wonka with a serious drinking problem. I love Beth's cognac and chocolate notes, but the WHISKEY, the whiskey is intense. I'm kind of scared to try this on my skin, to be honest.