Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
abejita

Dark Chocolate and Key Lime Truffle

Dark chocolate and key lime truffle.

Decant from Glasspillars

In the decant: Strong lime, with a soft puff of cocoa in the background. The lime is actually a little astringent.
Wet on skin: The lime is softer on skin, but still a lot stronger than the chocolate.
Dry: Uh oh. How did chocolate and lime turn into artificial strawberry? I think someone else mentioned Strawberry Shortcake dolls, which is a very apt description.
Verdict: I was so confident I'd love this that I ordered a bottle without waiting for the decant to get here... when will I learn? :headdesk: This scent does something icky on my skin. I will keep retesting as I'm not quite ready to concede defeat but... I think this might be fail.

Yeah, the chocolate definitely gets eaten up by the lime with this scent. I'm left with a creamy, sugary lime scent. Soft and not too overpowering. I kinda wish another note was added to this blend, such as coconut, or suttin'. Not for me.

Like most of the previous reviewers, I don't get a lot of chocolate from this. (I'm okay with that though, as dark chocolate can smell musty on me.) What I do get is a lot of tart, zesty lime sitting on a creamy base, like key lime pie filling. This doesn't last long on my skin, but its perfect in a scent locket. This is my favourite of the Box of Chocolates this year. :yum:

I am so amazed that this oil is clear, how can it be clear when it should clearly be the colours of what it smells like - dark dark chocolate-y black-brown and bright sharp lime green!

For me this is the epitome of delicious, both in the decant and on the skin. It's very sweetly lime-y in the vial, with hardly a hint of chocolate, but the moment it hits the skin the chocolate comes into play. It's perfectly balanced. The chocolate is hardly sweet at all, and is the perfect dark counterpart to the tartly sweet note of the lime. Definitely buying a bottle of this ...

Edited by storydancer

In the decant this is a bit astringent, as others have said. I was expecting the chocolate to be stringer then it is.

Wet, I get more of the chocolate, but it is not like last year's dark chocolate, it's lighter. Not like a lighter chocolate, but less of it. Lime is sugared, which I like very much.

Dry, the chocolate gets eaten by my skin. Lame. The sugared lime is still present, but with out the chocolate there to balance it out it is almost plastic.

This was the best of the chocolates for me, which makes me sad. I'll probably hang on to the decant, as I think it smells good for about the first 20 minutes of wearing it, but after that it is nearly non-existent.

Wet: A puff of bittersweet dark chocolate, quickly giving way to creamy key lime. It's a tasty lime smell: all the bright, green, cheerful flavor of lime, but with none of the refreshing astringency. It's like... lime cream, green sugar crystals, and cocoa butter. Tasty, but not identifiable as dark chocolate!

Dry: Doesn't really morph at all. Just more creamy limes and cocoa butter. What happened to the dark chocolate? Haha. If you told me this was white chocolate and key lime, I'd believe it! This isn't nearly as tart as I was expecting... the lime is very creamy and candied, but it retains just enough of its true tart citrus character to cut down on the sweetness and make this wearable instead of cloying.

Overall: An interesting smell... and unexpected. I was expecting intense dark chocolate blended with tart, assertive lime. Instead, I get a creamy and gentle concoction that makes me think more of white chocolate or straight cocoa butter. It's foody, yes, but there's something about the way it settles in and blends with my skin that makes it smell not quite edible. I don't dislike it, but I will pass on my decant because I know I'll never wear it.

This smelled of wonderfully tart, strong key lime with sweet dark chocolate in the vial but once on my skin it went to straight-up plastic in record time. After a couple of hours I am getting a little more lime but it's very faint. Sad!

No chocolate. I smell the lime note from Scurvy, like others have said. It's nice ... and then the scent is gone! So it's just like Scurvy on me with about 50% less lasting power :(

On the skin: Yep, chocolate and lime. Huh, the chocolate smells kinda stale. Not really liking this one.

In Bottle: Juicy lime and dark chocolate!

On the skin: Juicy lime with the barest hints of dark chocolate! :thud: :yum:

I own very few foody scents but this one has completely changed my mind. I will definitely be using this bottle up as it's so light I have to slather it! :yum:

This starts as pure chocolate on me, and then is followed by a blast of the lime from Scurvy. They then play nice together to produce a sweet sugared lime, with a hint of chocolate.

So I get this blast of lime on wet, with a hint of chocolate. And it dries to chocolate + florally lime thing that I'm not entirely sure what to do with.

Odd.

Wow, this one smells so juicy at first it makes my mouth water. This smells just like a big 'ole slice of fresh key lime pie. The chocolate note is in background, it does smell like old chocolate, or like the waxy kind of cheap chocolate they make hollow easter bunnies out of. I like the key lime note, now I want to find another tropical blend to see what that would smell like.

Rich dark chocolate with a sudden burst of key lime. The two together are an odd combination. It's different, yet I don't think bottle worthy. I definiteyl enjoy my decant. I just can't seem to stop sniffing myself. I don't know if I love this or hate it.

I think my review is similar to most posted. Though I felt the balance of chocolate and lime was really delicious. It is also certainly Key lime, no other kind. Though it made me want coconut in this scent, so I could start singing that "put the lime in the coconut" song. But it got stuck in my head anyways.

This scent, to me, is a perfect transition scent from winter into spring. The cozy chocolate, with this zesty lime that just perks you up. It's really unique, and I think I'll happily use up my decant.

Really strong throw, which may cause some problems since I prefer softer throwing scents. The lime lasted a long while on me too, and I felt like the lime made the chocolate slightly juicy. But that could just be me. Loved it though.

Dark Chocolate and Key Lime Truffle:

In Bottle: Strong sweet lime candy scent.

Wet: Lime, but not so much lime candy as lime perfume.

Dry: Shoot, I don't like what's happening to this lime. No chocolate left on me, and the lime turns musty. Or maybe it's the chocolate remnant turning musty, but, either way, it doesn't work so well in the dry-down.

Overall: Would work nicely as a scent locket if I want a lime scent (which I do like).

Bright key lime with a slight dash of dark chocolate. It mellows rather quickly on my skin, unfortunately. Pretty while it lasts...

Decided that I had to try this scent, so nabbed a partial bottle.

In the bottle and upon first application, it's all sweet lime. It's sweet, but also has a very fresh feel to it. I love it!

Unfortunately, the lime lasts all of about five minutes on me. My skin must love it as much as I do. I can still vaguely detect the fruitiness of the lime, but the chocolate is playing for keeps. I shouldn't be too surprised, though, I amp chocolate like nobody's business, (I don't know why I keep trying chocolate scents; I must be a glutton for punishment.)

I'm not sorry I got this partial, though. It's a different enough kind of chocolate than the others I have that I'm going to keep it. This is one chocolate that could be worn during warmer weather, as it still retains that tiny bit of zest.

Dark Chocolate & Key Lime Truffle

Yum! :yum: This is definitely dark chocolate, it smells chocolatey but not particularly sweet. The lime isn't overpowering, which I was worried it would be - they balance nicely. I want to lick myself! Dry, though, it smells a little weird, kind of musty like another review mentioned, but it's not entirely unpleasant. It really is yummy at first though! Probably won't be bottle-worthy but I'll enjoy my decant. :)

Edited by sunlitgarden

I get the chocolate & key lime, and then it's mostly sweet lime. Lime makes a nice after shave, but it's much more pretty and fruity than that. Now it's sweet lime, with just the hint of chocolate.

I was hoping for a mildly sweet citrus. This is NOT mild. Way too sweet; overpowers the citrus handily.

Dark chocolate didn't work for me in this one, not too sweet is ok, but it doesn't blend with lime too well on me. First few seconds are perfect, light sweet citrus and dark chocolate, and then it goes bitter/sour. :huh?:

Hmm, I was hoping that the dark chocolate would be similar to the delectable note in Candy Butcher. Unfortunately, it's a lot closer to Bliss and other chocolate scents, so it's a bit too sweet and cloying for me personally. It's too bad, because the chocolate and lime are actually fairly well balanced on my skin, unlike what seems to be the case for most reviewers. I think I'll toss it in the "sort of like" imp drawer.

I was a bit unsure about this one, as I didn't think I would really be a fan of chocolate scents, but this is really delicious. The key lime is the prominent note in this, it is slightly sweet and slightly tart. And right behind that is a glorious dark chocolate. It is so smooth and creamy, this makes me want to nom on my wrist. I had no idea just how wonderful a chocolate scent could be, this has defiantly opened up a whole new avenue of scents I want to try now.

After a while on my skin, the lime has soften up a bit, but is still giving a tart flare to the scent. The chocolate has melted into something deep and bittersweet, my favorite kind of chocolate. This is so divine.

Unfortunately, this doesn't hang around to long.

Hrm. This is not working very well on me, sadly. I get a fleeting hint of dark chocolate and lime right after applying. Then in a matter of seconds, the chocolate and line are gone and all I am left with is a plasticky cream/vanilla note strangely reminiscent of... artificial strawberry?

After complete drydown, the plastic note thankfully disappears. The sweet creamy scent that ultimately remains is by no means unpleasant, if a little generic-smelling.