Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
abejita

Dark Chocolate and Key Lime Truffle

Dark chocolate and key lime truffle.

The Chocolatier series is very straight-forward, as I think they should be. This one is exactly as described, down to the specific (very juicy) key lime note. It's no other kind of lime, it's very much that breed. The chocolate takes more of a background here, but I think that's the nature of a citrus note in perfumery. I anticipate the lime losing its aggression just a little bit. The longer I wear it, the sweeter it gets, though it's still not a blend I'd describe primarily as sweet (not sugary at all).

Okay here is my take:

In the bottle: The luscious Bliss chocolate note with fresh sweet lime, the lime is stronger.

Wet: Sugary lime woah awesome throw i must say. there is a little chocolate that tries to come out but the lime beats it into submission.

Drydown: Its still sugary lime. What is happening here after 15 minutes i get whiffs of my childhood, in the mid 80's playing with my scented Strawberry Shortcake dolls.. that smell it smells JUST like that. I dont think companies scent their dolls anymore but woah.

My husband says its awful, smells like a baked messy lime disaster but i do not agree. He said it would have been SO much better without the chocolate and baked smell he gets.

My final take...Lovely, but the drydown gets a bit weird i wish it could hold that sugary lime stage longer but ive been re-applying often.

I either adore the Chocolate Box scents or they are kind of meh on me. This one is pretty damn amazing. It is really like a dark chocolate key lime truffle. :) The chocolate is dark, not milk or white, and the lime is the little key lime, which is softer and not as a tart as a regular lime. (And it's not like that fake nasty artificial "key lime" note that is like what some bakers and restaurants use in their so-called "key lime" pies. Nope, this is like real key lime juice, from the fruit or that little bottle in the grocery store, bottled right in Key West, FL.) Everything melds together in a yummy but not overly sugary sweet concoction. I'm going to need back-ups on this. It's outstanding!

I got to open my Valentine's luper from my fiance early and this is what he chose for me (I gave him a list of 4 scents I really wanted from this years lupes).

In the bottle: Holy dark chocolate. The dark chocolate is definitely much stronger in this than in last year's Dark Chocolate and Cherry.

Wet: There's the key lime. The chocolate settles down a lot and the key lime is very sharp wet.

Drydown: Perfection. Both the dark chocolate and key lime mold together in just the right way so each is easily picked out but yet well blended at the same time, if that makes sense. This is one that sweetens considerably on the drydown for me, or well I guess I should say the key lime becomes more of a baked sweets note and less citrusy.

This was just what I was hoping for, neither the dark chocolate or key lime dominated the other too much as I slightly feared might happen. The only drawback was the throw was more on the weak side which is pretty odd for me because usually chocolate scents have a great throw on me but regardless I will definitely keep the bottle and if I have to slather then slather I shall.

Edited by silver_springs

Very rich, creamy, ganache-like dark chocolate - perfectly truffle-esque, and reminiscent to my nose of PSX54, Candy Butcher, and Dark Chocolate (Gaiman). Much lighter below is a delicious lime skittles note - bright, candied, a little juicy and little tart and bitter from the peel. It reminds me greatly of the lime note in Scurvy.

WAY more lime, instantly. And it is definitely the same note from Scurvy, which unfortunately goes horrid on my skin - all bitter and sharp, all pith with a hint of peel, and barely any fruit - this still has some tartness, but it's essentially lost all fruity sweetness within seconds. It is a little bit more fruity and less pure bitter sharpness than Scurvy, though. It's an incredibly STRONG note, and whereas the scent in the bottle is maybe 75% DC and 25% KL, on my skin it's 98% KL and 2% DC. And that's within SECONDS and it's not even dry! I can't analyze the chocolate bc it's so overwhelmed it's barely even noticeable.

This stuff really amps up on me to have super strong throw. The lime actually has softened and sweetened a bit - it's still not the delicious skittles note of the bottle, but it's quite nice, and almost salty, and smells almost like how Scurvy smells on my roommate. Okay, it's pretty darn good! The chocolate has amped up a bit too, providing more balance, though lime remains firmly in command. The chocolate has lot most of its richness, which is good for me, but I get hints of that weird musty powdery note that many foody scents dry down to on me, and a very faintly of that rancid-nutty note that I get with most chocolate - but I have to really sniff deeply to get that.

Apparently this make my skin itch, because I caught myself subconsciously scratching at that arm and thus scratching away a good bit of the scent. In the final drydown, the lime does eventually fade further, and it's the juicier, tarter, sweeter notes that fade most while the bitter pith and rind remain more strongly - still, it is clearly lime, and it is not Pez like the Panacea lime notes, and it's not nearly as sharp as in Scurvy, though I think it's the same note. The chocolate note unfortunately goes a bit more musty and while it never really goes rancid, the vague nagging suggestion is too much for me. This *almost* worked, but not quite. Throw is very good at first, but my skin eats this up quite quickly, scratching aside.

Not what I'd wished for, but I'm not surprised because it's rare that the lab's citrus holds on me and that its chocolate behaves. :\

Edited by fairnymph

Wet on my skin, I'm getting all lime and no chocolate note. Yes, very similar to Scurvy prototype. As the lime note mellows a bit, I get some chocolate at last. Definitely going to be one of my Luper 2010 favorites. :yum:

In decant: Rich dark chocolate

Wet: Weird! The chocolate is shot through with a piercing citrus—not the creamy Key Lime scent, but lime itself.

Drydown: Fading into place, but the citrus is a bit sour on me. Unusual, since usually citrus is my friend.

Later: Settled into a pleasant light dark-chocolate scent. The lime calmed down considerably and it ended up smelling pretty good. Will have to test again before deciding on a bottle, though. It’s not love at first sight.

OK - 'fess up.. who ate all licked all the dark chocolate off of my key lime truffle? :cry:

The lime in this is lovely, it's just like the lime note in Scurvy and Mr. Nancy - not overly sweet, slightly musky, fresh and tangy delicious. But damn it - seriously, where is the dark chocolate? I can smell it in the bottle, but once the oil hits my skin it's almost non-existent. Occasionally I catch a whiff and I think "ooh, there's the chocolate!", but then it's gone. It comes and goes, but mostly goes. The lovely lime sticks around fairly well, and stays pretty true for about an hour but then seems to fade very quickly. So overall, slightly disappointing because ohhhhhhh how I love the way Beth does her gourmand dark chocolate things, but the lime is so good in this that I can possibly overlook the chocolate's disappearing act.

And on a side note - once again, I am convinced that angelicruin and I share the same skin chemistry :D

Wasn't sure if this one would work for me...but it does. Its a wonderful blend of key lime and chocolate...two flavors that I diddn't think would go together. On me it stays reletively the same but tends to wear off within a few hours. Otherwise I say this is a keeper! I kinda get a spring/summer vibe off this one so I'll be saving this for warmer days.

Oh what a lovely surprise! This sounded vile to me, but I got a sniffy of it to try as I ordered an entire sniffy set from a fabulous decanter. I am not a fan of chocolate. It tends to smell like dirt on me, and the idea of it with citrus was almost nauseating. So I test this out and what do I get? Sweet, bright sugared limes with a dusky complexity from the chocolate which takes a back seat! Its just fantastic and summery and fun! Only downside is that I had to apply the entire 1/4 imp sniffy just to smell it on my skin and it vanished in minutes. Still, I think I'd like a bottle. Its so fun and unique and the lime note is just amazing!

When first applied this is primarily lime, I don't get any chocolate at all from this. The lime is sweet and light, it's very creamy. I absolutely love lime and this brings back memories of eating key lime in Key West. Bottle purchase, for sure.

Doesn't have a lot of throw, sticks close to the skin and lasts for a decent amount of time.

This is a wonderful scent. When it first went on it was a very tart lime with a very bitter top note which I didn't care at all for (probably the bitterness of the dark chocolate). After half an hour or so that faded and it transformed into a beautiful, sweet sugared lime and stayed that way for hours. Delicious.

This one is odd on me, and I still haven't decided whether I like it or not. The initial dark choclate and lime is wonderful, but it morphs into having an oddly floral scent on top, don't know where the heck that comes from. But the chocolate/lime is still there, too, which is why I'm undecided. I'll have to try this at least one more time and possibly let it age. Interesting. :confused:

In the bottle - Cool, fizzy lime

Wet on me - A soft, sweet lime, like lime flavoured sweets rather than real lime

Dry on me - A soft, pretty lime scent, with hints of cocoa sprinkled in the background

Overall - A very pretty light scent, where lime is definitely the main player. I quite like it, but I think that I would be inclined to layer it with something of a light/pale musk nature to pep it up a little.

In the bottle, this is very much the scent of lime icees from King's Dominion, with a little bit of cocoa-y chocolate in the background.

When I put it on, the lime warmed up and dominated the chocolate for quite some time--this was basically a key lime SN for a while there. It was only when it dried down that the chocolate came back out to play. This is definitely key lime, not your usual, 'normal' lime. I like this one a lot, for all its simplicity. It will be absolutely gorgeous in the summer when I want something sweet but not syrupy, and not too foody. Refreshing. :wub2:

Lime notes are often too sharp smelling on my skin, but I LOVE this. It's sweet, cheery, creamy lime. It makes me think of key lime pie and lime slushes. I can't pick out a chocolate note exactly, but I would guess that the chocolate is adding to the sweet, creamy feel of this blend. My husband smelled my wrist where I applied this and instantly said that it smelled like yummy key lime pie.

Key Lime Truffle is just so fun, summery, and playful smelling. It makes me feel like I'm on a tropical vacation <3.

I'll definitely be upgrading my decant of this to a full bottle :wub:

Dark Chocolate and Key Lime Truffle – I love this scent…for the first 3 seconds. I’ve tried this scent on 3 times, and each time I’ve worn it, the wonderfulness wears off within 5-10 seconds. For those first few fleeting moments, the lime is the top note and it’s bursting with sweet, juiciness, like a sweet limeaid, only better….but then the chocolate kicks in and the two notes clash horribly on me. I love the lime, and I love the chocolate, but I can’t stand what they do together on my skin. Strangely, the scent doesn’t long at all on my skin. The bright citrus fades away almost completely upon drydown, and that’s when the chocolate becomes a bit musty and then fades into the ether over the next few minutes after that. By the 30 minute point, I can’t smell a darn thing, as if I never put it on in the first place. As much as I’d love to wear foody scents, it’s really just not meant to be. They simply don’t work on me.

Imp: Bitter, dark chocolate with something tangy I wouldn't be able to tell was lime if I didn't know the notes

Wet: Key lime starts to show up. The chocolate has stepped back, but adds some bitterness.

Drydown: Both notes are holding their own on my skin. Key lime is a very distinctive lime scent and the dark chocolate adds a much needed bitterness

Overall: This smells good. No two ways about it. I just don't know if I need a bottle of something like this. I have a group of bottles I think of as the "lolScents" for days when I want to smell quirky and this doesn't do anything for me that Schroedinger's Cat and Spooky don't. Plus, it's fading really fast. I'm keeping the decant, for what it's worth.

Well hel-LO Key lime! Whoa. This is really strong when wet, but it is such a true Key lime scent that I just love it. There's a note of bitter chocolate in the background that blooms as it dries, so it's a super-citrus-y but dark foodie blend that is really yummy.

Too bad it's gone after five minutes. Dang.

So, had anyone else ever had a set of those fruit-scented eraser caps? This smells exactly like the green ones. Sadness. At least it looks like it works on everyone else, so someone should want it!

I get from this tart Key lime with the occasional hint of chocolate.

Again another :heart: :heart: :heart: for me. It just's the softest Key Lime with the barest hint of chocolate.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most children love chocolate and I *think* Lil' Lilith stole most of Mom & Pop's stash of chocolate in this newest release of the chocolate box and the girl is a genius! Well you know the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Bravo Beth!! I love this years box!

This smells like exactly what is listed, with maybe a bit of pie thrown in.

Smells very nice, but not my thing.

Def. for those who want to smell like a key lime pie with dark chocolate shavings on top.

Mmm .. this is delicious! :yum: Chocolate has a tendency to turn into melting plastic on my skin, but THANK THE HEAVENS that did not happen with this blend. The lime also seems to be a little more upfront than the creamy dark chocolate, but extra lime never killed me. ;) I have a partial currently on its way to me, but I think I might need a full bottle too.

Edited by musichappens