Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
persianmouse

Black Heart

Sweet pea, vanilla-infused sandalwood, bourbon vanilla, white honey, carnation, pomegranate, Vitis riparia, plum, and cognac.

I must have a Black Heart, because this scent calls to me like few others have. In the imp, I smell cognac and pomegranate with a grape undertone--but this baby morphs like nobody's business.

It starts as a deep and lovely fruity-floral when wet--mostly plum and sweet pea. I love this stage.

The other fruits emerge and disappear for a while, staying feminine and sophisticated because of the sweet pea.

Black Heart does go into a brief Crypt Queen stage, but it's like Crypt Queen's more fun sister. She doesn't wear pastels, but she doesn't wear all black either.

In its last and final morph, the sandalwood and honey do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight...sorry, I digress.

Never got Sweet Tarts, I am happy to say.

This is a beautiful, sophisticated, feminine and unique scent and I love it. Possibly a two bottle purchase.

Black Heart is fruity, and a touch floral. Delicious plum and grape, a little dusty. Sweet and pretty. Picks up a bit of a woodsy incense vibe as it dries. Reminds me of Dionysia a bit.

Black heart

In the bottle: pomegranate - purple, sweet and almost-but-not-quite creamy. No booze. 

Wet: purple fruits backed by vanilla and sandalwood and a huge dollop of honey. The plum, grape and pomegranate merge into a sweet, pinky-purple fruitiness and the honey and sweet pea keep it sweet enough to foil my skin chemistry which would normally turn the fruit sour. 

Dry: this has very little throw - I forget I'm wearing it if I don't sniff it. It's a wonderfully sweet and innocent scent, somewhat reminiscent of Agape. The smoothness of the vanilla sandalwood and honey balance the tang of the fruit and I could really like this. :D  

ETA: layered with Black Lace, this really seems to bring out the best in both scents. The creamy, cottony vanilla of BL tones down the purple brightness of BH, which in turn smothers the more acrid, dirty aspects of BL. They blend seamlessly, like a creamy berry mousse with musk!

Dry: it's amazing how these two scents, each quite overpowering in its own way, tame and complement each other. It's mostly purple fruits and cream now, which is odd, because I don't get a distinct cream note in either scent alone (I always assumed "cream cotton" refers the fabric colour in BL) and this is definitely real cream. The tobacco is pushing and shoving a little and trying to get out, but the fruits, honey and sandalwood hold it back. This combination is probably not going to be something I wear a lot, but it's pretty, and very "BPAL".

Edited by Lyrical

YUM! :wub: This is bright and juicy -- I get lots of grapes, pomegranates and plum with just a hint of musk. Once it dries completely, it reminds me faintly of a grape blow pop. I think this is going to be perfect for summer, so I had to pick up a bottle.

:lol: I, like tarotgirl, must also have a black heart, because I experience the same call! Bright pink and red, juicy and sweet. Got a thumbs up from the SO, so that seals the deal. My only complaint is that I'd like a bit more of the vanilla and sandalwood, and it fades pretty fast but that's what layering's for I suppose! Love it, bought a bottle!

On a side note: I tried combining this with Black Lace to see if I could get more vanilla out of the pair and tone down the Pier 1/craft store notes I was getting from BL. No such luck. All BL did was beat BH into submission and leave me with slightly fruitier Pier 1. Le sigh.

Whoa, sweet pea! Wet on my skin and for the first hour, that's all I get, so much so that it's unpleasantly reminiscent of Bath & Body Works' Sweet Pea scent. It is STRONG. But after wearing for a while I can smell the base notes and this starts to become creamier, though it's still quite cloying and perfume-y.

Luckily, before giving up on it, I layered it with a little Black Lace, and man, that is HEAVENLY. The sweet pea is tamed and I get the gentle Victorian linen smell with something pink and girly on top. Very nice.

in the bottle sweet pea and cognac. boozy and floral in a totally-not-gross-at-all way (says the 'death to fleurs'! girl). it's a very proper and sweet scent, but not matronly in the least.

wet on skin fruity and a little sour wet, the vanilla, honey, carnation, and sweet pea are a little bit pummeled by the plum and slightly bitter pomegranate. is it begins to dry, the sort of alarming sour note dissipates and all the feminine elegance of the scent in the bottle returns.

dry on skin this loses a lot of its initial sparkle on drydown and becomes rather weary and sweet-ish. what saves this one from being a big loser with my skin chemistry is the magic of layering it with black death. the patchouli in BD comes out like crazy when these are layered and provides exactly the right amount of dirt to the mix to make BH wicked again.

I received a decant of this is meaganola's Dark Delicacies decant circle.

This is a wonderful plummy honey scent. There are florals right out of the gate - the carnation note is not terribly strong - but they fade rather quickly. In time the plum fades, too, leaving only the honey. This particular combination reminds me a lot of Blood Countess, actually.

I imagine this will layer very well with the other Blacks! Also think it will layer with the Sugared She-Goat Chocolatier scent my husband was wearing that day (Milk Chocolate, Coconut, Cardamom, and Rum).

muddled sweet pea. Like a spritzer infused cocktail. Interesting if you think of it in alcoholic terms! haahha

This is a bit grapey off the bat when wet. I think its the plum and sweetpea combo. however, the pomegranate comes out on drydown with a touch of sandalwood dryness. I really don't like the in imp or wet part. Nice when dry! Lovely gift from a lovely person. :)

in the bottle: This smells like sugary grape soda to my nose!

wet on skin: I get the grape, plum, and a tiny bit of florals. Mostly it just smells like fizzy grape soda.

dry on skin: I get a little bit more of the sweet pea and vanilla now that it's dried down... still smells overall like grape soda though!

Initial sniff from the bottle is very soft and fruity. Woodsy and Fruity? I can't really tell much. As soon as I put it on my skin, the fruits and the vanilla? overwhelm and envelop me. It's a very refined scent, similar to Montressor without all the gobs of wine and grapes. It's a very sentimental, and soft blend that makes me seriously swoon. I can smell the patchouli if there is some and it doesn't immediately overwhelm. It just heightens and softly brings depth to the image. I'm seriously loving this., it's like a darker Zarita, I'm so glad I took a chance and got a bottle. I smell dead sexy in this. It doesn't seem to last very long though however.

I made four combinations in imps:

1) Black Lace + Black Heart

2) Black Lace +Black Death

3) Black Death + Black Heart

4) Black Lace + Black Heart + Black Death

They all smell so good! I recommend it to anyone who has all three- mix them in a decant and see which combination you like best.

Anyway, Black Heart all by itself is nice as well.

I've yet to layer this with anything, but I had to review this scent, just because the scent is so strikingly pink hard candy (this is gonna be a short review. It smells like heart-shaped sweet tarts. Flat out, that simply, like you just ate them or rolled around in a pile of them. It's a great smell, but it's not very me. I love smelling it, though!

There is something here that is reminds me of Slightly Haunted Dollhouse on my skin. I think it may be the carnation and the "grape". Wet, there is a lot of sugary sweetness, sweetpea and a hint of vanilla. Dry, the sandalwood comes out more and the similarity to SHD becomes more noticeable. It's sweet and very light on me. Nice, but very "girly".

Woof. This is very sweet. I get tons of sweet pea and plum from this. So on me, this is a sticky, sickly sweet sugar plum sort of scent. Sweet, sweet, floral.

I really really like this scent! I get the pom, sweet plum, and a touch of vanilla. The sandalwood comes out a bit later, but overall, I'd categorize this scent as a very sweet, candy like floral!

Edited by pinkstardust420

Bottle: Smarties. The American version. Sweet and fruity and dusty. Ack.

Wet: Grape and pomegranate. Big wet fruit. Drippy fruit.

Drydown: Okay, this calms down some, but it's still quite sweet. I shall have to try it with Black Lace to see if that grounds it more.

partial traded in exchange for one of my friend's holy grail scents

in the imp: sour, tart sugar- yep sweet tarts

wet: grape koolaide powder. this has promise. i love koolaide scents. but this is also waffling with something sour as in, dirty skin. i would say that it's my skin's reaction to violets, but it may be the sweetpea.

dry: this one doesn't want to settle, at all. it's alternating between dirty musk and koolaide. the sourness only really shows up close to skin though, it's not present in the throw. this is ungodly sweet. it's definitely a candy scent.

i do like it. it's a bit young for me though so i may try it layered with black death at some point.

I missed out on this scent at first because I was scared of the sandalwood note—sandalwood usually makes me sneeze-- but the other reviews made me think this might work on me, so I managed to get a hold of a decant. What a gorgeous scent! Rich fruit with a touch of floral. I’m not picking up the sandalwood at all (nor are my allergies complaining). I’m not getting the candy sweet-tarts that other people have been complaining about, but that may just be the luck of the draw with skin chemistry. For me, it’s a rich, rich fruit scent. And yes, I’m getting a bottle or three of this!

This scent called to me - it's got a lot of yes notes (plum, cognac, vanilla, carnation). Thanks the generosity of the lovely bookandbroom, I was able to test a bit.

On me, it's very fruity (mostly pom, I think?) with a large dollop of sweet pea. I loved the sweet pea note in Agape, but it's a little more dominant here, and I'm not sure what to make of that quite yet. It's extremely girly, a bit sweet, very innocent, almost candy-like but not quite thanks to the sweet pea. Despite the name, I can totally see giving this to a girl or tween to wear.

Mmm, this is a wonderful spicy berry-like blend. I can see where people are getting the Mlle Lilith comparison, but this is more 'grown-up' and wearable to me. I didn't really like Black Death, but the two layered are utterly FANTASTIC, and I kind of regret giving my spare imp of Black Death away. The BD tempers the sweetness, and BH tempers the masculine resins of BD. I'm off to layer the 3 now!

On me this is straight up grape juice and sweet pea (good, Welch's style grape juice, not the Koolaid variety). Both of which are yummy, but I'm getting no honey, carnation, or sandalwood here. I even had my boyfriend (who is actually hopeless at identifying notes) sniff this and he said "Mmm...smells like grape juice. And flowers". Yep, that it does.

It's quite yummy but not something I'd reach for every day.

Not a morpher, and stays pretty similar to how it smells in the imp.

Edited by moosue

This might be my favourite of the black valentines, though it's a close call. A very fruity, feminine scent - it doesn't morph a lot on me, and has good staying power, which a lot of the lighter scents don't on my skin. I get mainly the floral and fruity notes, with the sweet pea out in front the whole time. I never really notice the cognac or honey popping out to say hi, but it could just be my skin chemistry.

This on is YUMMY!!!! I love the sweetness and the strong plum - reminds me a teeny bit of Urd but sweeter and less incensey. So happy I swapped for this one. If you like sweet but dark scents, this is for you!