Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Siren

Bewitching, tantalizing and dangerously seductive. A thrilling, exotic blend -- deceptively sweet, but spiked with malice. White ginger, jasmine, and a touch of vanilla and apricot.

Delighted to find this as a frimp in a recent swap, as it has been at the back of my list to try for a while!

Wet/Imp: I love white ginger. Overall this smells halfway between tropical flowers and an incense shop. The musk is doing something a little funky and I can't decide if I love it or wish it wasn't there. I do keep coming back to sniff it either way. Jasmine starts coming out strong as it starts to dry.

Drying: I think the musk is just a bit too strong for me :( and it isn't dying down much as time goes one. Such a shame because I really love the ginger/jasmine combo! This would be great for someone who likes particularly musky florals.

This did not smell at all like I expected. There is something dark and heavy and resinous in this scent that is not agreeing with me, but can't pick it out from the scent list. As it dries, this lightens up and I get the zippy ginger and the cream of vanilla and apricot (slightly plasticky as it is wont to do).

Siren won me over by surprise.

I love the smell of jasmine, but typically I can't wear bpal jasmine. I know, so sad :(

But Siren is an exception! I have been reaching for this little imp a lot lately, and I have figured out why. This scent is very uplifting to me. It's bright and beautiful and glows. It smells like jasmine in true form. But sweetened with apricot and vanilla. The white ginger gives it a spicy, sexy edge. Love it.

In the Vial: Faint, Fruity, Floral. Hum!

Wet: OVERWHELMING impression of Neco Wafers, followed by going sweet & sour. I feel like... it's missing both a top note and a bass note?? Feels like somebody didn't know up/ isn't pulling their weight. Eventually it's going low, sticky and weird- an almost bitter fruit reminding me of something I had once with the flavor of cherry pits. Is this the apricot? What is it doing?

Dry: YECH! ACK! PUMPKIN GUTS! It dries into the smell of carving pumpkins or preparing zucchini. I don't like this! It's vegetable and bratty in a sour-saccharine way and makes me gag. Completely not for me- something is becoming really, really weird. This does not feel like Siren's intended behavior. After an hour and a half or so, this demanded to be washed off- something I try to avoid doing usually when reviewing a sent. I don't think anything could be worth what it was doing.

This was just... no. I could smell all the notes, and I don't think I have anything against either of them on their own? (Maybe? Not sure about apricot and white ginger, but in theory.) But they don't work together on my skin at all. This was predominantly weirdly musty apricot vanilla, and it smelled like the fruit was off. Blech. I washed it off. Maybe fruity vanilla is just not something I can do.

I so desperately wanted to love this! Ginger and apricot are two of my favourite notes, and I love vanilla as well, but sadly all I get is the Jasmine. I do sort of like jasmine, but there are other jasmine blends I like better. I wasn't expecting this to be floral. Not for me!

In the imp: Jasmine and ginger are the most prominent to my nose, followed by the apricot, and then a hint of vanilla.

Wet: Apricot, ginger, and jasmine are the first notes to greet my nose. It only takes a moment for the jasmine to increase in strength, as well as the ginger, and though I can tell there is vanilla in this, it really is just a hint.

Dry: I'm still getting a lot of apricot, jasmine, and ginger. The ginger is more prominent now, and the vanilla is even fainter by this point, with just a tinge of it lingering in the background.

Verdict: I like the apricot note, but I am not really digging the combination of apricot and jasmine. I think I'll just stick with Aristocratic Couple, which contains apricot, vanilla, and a spice (cardamom), but no heady floral note.

I got this as a frimp and I ended up loving it!

In the vial I got a lot of ginger and some of the apricot. It was really spicy and sickly sweet and I wasn't very excited about it.

On wet the jasmine took over completely, it smelled exactly like Lush's Lust perfume.

Dry everything is more balanced, jasmine definitely at the front, with a little sweetness of the vanilla and apricot a tiny bit of zing from the ginger.

I got this as a frimp with an Ebay order, and while I figured it would be a shoe-in with the ginger, the jasmine ruins it for me. The ginger is a very strong, heady fresh ginger like when you bite right into it which doesn't mesh well (on me) with a heady floral like jasmine. However, my Mom liked it so I gave her the imp. :)

Ginger and apricot, sort of, in the bottle. Goes on as that jasmine stameny note, the sour one. This slightly morphs into unripe apricot. Just yuck. Scrubber.

Bottle: Ginger, with a little apricot and jasmine.

Wet: A pale, crisp and floral ginger bite that quickly goes powdery. Very powdery... like finely ground ginger that's partly gone up in a puff. Jasmine comes right under the dry puff, a high note. I get a little apricot, but no vanilla.

Dry: Poof to the face. Curiously, hours later when it's barely there, I like it better.

I love all notes listed for this. It should have been a win. I don't dislike it... it's just very dry and powdery on me. I feel like it needs some moisture.

Everything's blending and smelling the same to me, is this Sacred Whore? Hell's Belle? Lady of Shallot? It's gingery but without the freshness of Lady, orangey but missing the humid sweetness of Belle, and gardenia-like but without the indolent quality of Sacred Whore. It's like their tropical cousin? It was good but honestly I enjoyed all three of the other ones i listed better. I'm not really sure why I'm noticing such similarities between all four, they don't share too many listed notes in common, but that's what I'm getting. It was a bit simple for my taste. Too light and carefree; I tend to like a darker edge to my scents. I dk I think I need a testing break. My nose is confused and overwhelmed and probably hiding in a corner somewhere begging me to give it a break. I'll probably come back to this again at some point, when I'm not overwhelmed testing new stuff and running out of descriptions.

Siren on me is predominantly a young white ginger - the kind with the smooth skin in the grocery store, not the gnarled kind - with a little jasmine. I can just get apricot, but the vanilla barely makes itself known. I want to drink this as a tea, but I'm not sure I want to smell like this.

Ginger and apricot are the stand outs in Siren. They are two notes that I love, but I don't know if I enjoy them in conjunction. I'm not used to apricots feeling tropical. The ginger gives it a bit of bite, but the apricot's sweetness tries to negate it instead of working with it. As it dries the jasmine tries to push it's way through to be noticed. Very much like "I'm here, you didn't forget me right?" I really wanted to like this scent. Almost everything works for me normally in other blends. It might just be an instance of something being great, but not together.

First I wasn't sure if I liked this one. It starts fruity and spicy on my shin and morphes quite a bit. It goes from spicy to kind of chilling (just like camphor and mint cool the skin).

But as it dries it morphes again to an almost powdery lovely jasmin scent. Guess the vanilla grounds the blend here. I really like it and it reminds me of something from the past but I cannot put my finger on. But really nice on my skin!

Imp purchased from a forumite, date stamped March 12, 2016. 

In the imp: Vanilla, apricot, ginger, and jasmine, unfolding in that order. 

On my skin: 

Wet, the ginger rises to the surface of the scent first. It's a light ginger, bright and softly spicy. Then the apricot comes and sweetens it up, and the combination is a lovely phase in the scent. The vanilla rounds out the scent, keeping everything soft. 

After a while, the jasmine does come out to play, but it does behave itself, playing second fiddle to the ginger and not overtaking the apricot and vanilla entirely. 

The ginger floral gives this a bit of a similar vibe to Vixen on me. But where Vixen's patchouli makes the scent very earthy, Siren is a much lighter, airier ginger floral blend. 

Oooh. This is a sexy one, exactly as a perfume named Siren should be. Its musky and warm, dark florals with sweetness underneath. I pick up the impression of ginger as a bite on the flowers and the apricot is there underneath it all. In my elbow it's sharper and a touch indolic but my wrist is super pretty.

I cannot overstate how passionately I love this one. Full disclosure, I love jasmine and ginger out in the world, but it's not always a winner in perfume; it all depends on what it's blended with. This one is a magical combination. It has good throw and staying power and I keep catching whiffs of something akin to a gingery incense. Despite the apricot and vanilla (the latter of which I can't detect), this is not a foody or sweet blend. Heartbroken that it is has been discontinued!