Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Siren

Bewitching, tantalizing and dangerously seductive. A thrilling, exotic blend -- deceptively sweet, but spiked with malice. White ginger, jasmine, and a touch of vanilla and apricot.

I tried Siren again yesterday, because I had forgotten that I'd worn it before. This one knocked my socks off the second time around one year later. It's very sexy on me, I think jasmine and I get along pretty well, especially with that vanilla in there. Like almost uncomfortably so, I slept in it, and when I woke up, it smelled like earthy, dirty sex. This is what I like. Love Me tends to do the same thing on me though, so I still won't be getting a bottle of it, at least not until I run out of my bottle of Love Me. Still, I'm pretty glad that the notes have developed into something like what I was hoping for.

In the imp, this smells really weird... a mixture of something creamy and spicy, sort of like... shoepolish.

Freshly on me, it smells the same as in the vial. Uh-oh. I think the combination of vanilla, apricot and ginger is clashing on me.

Once it dries, there is a short period where I probably get what the lab intended - ginger dominates through a fruity-creamy sweetness. It's not superb, but at least it's not weird anymore. Very light scent, almost no throw.

And within less than half an hour, it's almost completely gone, except for a very faint remnant of vanilla.

Yeah, this one didn't work out for me. Will end up trading this one.

What's that you say? There's jasmine in this and it's not totally overwhelming everything else and turning the whole thing into a huge screaming floral mess on my arm that gives me a headache?

Oh. Well alright then. :)

Siren is actually pleasantly sweet and... zingy. Effervescent I suppose. I tested without looking at the notes and I guessed orange blossom and vanilla. I was kinda close I guess. I'm guessing the ginger is what's giving it the zing.

So yeah. Fruity, a touch floral and zingy! :D

it's jasmine and ginger with sweetness, surprisingly nice. Like what unlaced said ...

Edited by BuxomM

Ugh, my head doesn't seem to like this one :( Jasmine and apricot overload. Giving me a bit of a headache...I don't usually have any kind of negative physical reaction to the bpal, but this seems to be an unfortunate exception.

In the imp: Ouch, ginger. I can't smell anything else.

Wet: Still mostly ginger with a bit of jasmine. I'm not really feeling it at the moment.

Dry: Still ginger. Nah, not liking this one. I had high hopes for it as well!

I think my skin is picky. Usually things with Jasmine work lovely on me but this was bad news. It was far far too strong and gave me a migrane. Sad day

Well... I recieved an imp of Siren in the mail the other day, and was SO EXCITED to try it... when I popped the vial open, I was SEVERLY DISAPPOINTED... I really don't like how it smells wet. I get this sharp, kinda dirty smell. Maybe it's the ginger, because that's the only think I can think it would be. The other notes are lost behind this. When I put it on, (because I didn't want to just write this one off as a total loss with out trying it...) thankfully, vanilla notes become dominant on my skin, and that dirty ginger smell takes a backseat to the vanilla and jasmine, but it's still lurking back there. I'll have to try this one again at a later date. This one is probablly the first scent that doesn't work on me. :cry2:

Edited by AMaskedMistress

At first, this blend was too much everything to me. :thud: Too much spice, floral, and there is a fruity quality as well. It gradually died down to a 'rough' ginger, kind of reminiscent of War. I guess I don't like this particular ginger, as this blend is just plain awful on me, as War was. I do like the ginger of Opuhi, but this is definitely not the same ginger. Quite nauseating, actually. Off to swaps with ya.

Take Vixen (which, don't get me wrong, I like) and replace the patchouli with vanilla, jasmine and apricot.... & we get this: a smell like jasmine-dirt and musty old socks. With some ginger and more musty notes. Maybe there's some vanilla in there, but if it is, it's contributing to a very Bad Experience. :o

Wait, Euphrosyne smelled pretty nasty to me. Perhaps vanilla and jasmine are not meant to come together in my nostrils.

Edited by obsidienne

In the bottle: Pine trees...? really??

Wet: Sweet pine trees..raw ginger maybe. I could see that..not the candied sweet ginger though.

Dry: Now the vanilla comes out, but it's not vanilla vanilla..its like sharp green vanilla? odd.

I think this is the oddest, most mysterious blend I ever came across. I think my first impressions were along the lines of: wood? And I was exceedingly surprised when I saw the note descriptions. It's slightly foody and so odd. I can barely describe it. I really like this one, but it's not one of my favorites although I'll probably get a new imp if this one runs out. This is definitely unique and should be tried!

I'm really not sure what I'm getting here. In the imp, it smells like doctor's office, which is odd, as white ginger, jasmine, apricot, and vanilla should not have this effect. On my skin, its a combination of jasmine, white ginger, and I'm not really getting the apricot or vanilla. And not much liking the scent that much, either. To swaps/sales

In the imp: Cinnamon rubbing alcohol...um...

Wet: Wood washed with cinnamon rubbing alcohol.

Dry: Finally I'm getting the notes listed! Well, note....This is all Jasmine. There's some light ginger and sweet ginger in the background but the Jasmine eats almost everything completely.

Overall: I'm not sure if it's because I received this imp aged (from a swap) or if it really is just Jamine, but it's nothing remarkable. I'll try it again, and then I might swap it again!!

On the skin: Dirt? It smells very strongly of dirt, yet that isn't one of the notes at all....

After awhile, the dirt fades and I can smell a fizzy apricot scent. Very weird. It smells a bit sweeter, but with a slight hint of dirt.

I have no idea what to think about this one. Ah, well.

-ETA- Just retested this one and it is definitely not for me. It has a weird funkiness to it that just.... smells weird.

Edited by Catseyes

It's so sad that the jasmine in this does not play well with my skin, because I can tell the other three notes are lovely. Most types of jasmine just pull a cat-pee thing with my chemistry. It's a successfully done spicy-foody floral, but unfortunately, that particular floral doesn't like me. :cry2:

Edited by Invidiana

Wet, this smells identical to Love Me - spicy jasmine. I do love Love Me, and it does lovely things on my skin.

As this dries, it sweetens up a little and there is a little fruitiness. I can tell now that there is ginger in this, not the cinnamon I get from Love Me. It is creamier and there is a hint of fruit in the background. The ginger smells like a freshly cut ginger root, and the vanilla is almost separate, not blending in but hanging around the edge. But I still get mostly jasmine.

Overall, I do like this, but it is just too close to Love Me for me to need a bottle.

I tried this without checking the components:

First on: wonderful smoke and disturbing motor oil.

It faded so fast I can't believe it. If I bury my nose in my skin, there's a faint, sweet vanilla.

I AM impressed and slightly in disbelief that I didn't amp the jasmine.

Whoa ginger! I can't really detect anything else in imp or wet.

Drydown, I smell like ginger beer. Bf says he can smell a little of the jasmine and vanilla.. but my sniffer is blocked or something.. will have to try again later.

ETA: 12/18/2010

ok so I realize now that I'm starting to dislike warmer months for a couple reasons.

One being: the organic smells from outside are overwhelming (I'm in maine after all) so it blocks my ability to smell things properly. Nothing but top notes got through during summer. I became a light fruity scent addict. It almost made me cast away 2 of my stronger favorites: Eos and Josie.

This scent smells pretty great. I would have disregarded it if the lab didn't just sent me 4 frimps of it. It is a wonderful compliment to the crisp air and rich winter dirt & snow smells going on outside right now. Plus I bet my now husband will have more to say about this rich vanilla ginger beer concoction. It's one of his favorite drinks after all!

Edited by SophieCedar

This doesn't work on me at all. With vanilla and apricot, I thought I might like it. But as others have said, it has some weird chemical smell to it. It's more like a chemical smell that is trying to mask itself. it's a little creamy -- must be the vanilla. But shoe polish is pretty much dead on.

I agree with the first review: flowerly pine sol. In fact my first reaction was "toilet bowl cleaner."

Not sure if it's the apricot or the jasmine or what. Hated this one. Clearly it's my skin chemistry since it smells fine in the imp and many like it a lot.

At first this seemed very strong and lemony. I always worry about the lemony scents as the seemed to smell like Pledge or Pine Sol to me.

However, on the drydown and finish (and after reading the description) I realized that maybe I was smelling the apricot? or the ginger?

It's not bad overall, just not for me. The finish was nice with the jasmine and vanilla coming out more, so it was a softer floral in the end. But there is something there, that smells a little plasticy to me.

Update on 11-15-11

Tried this one again and it's just wretched. It's so sharp, must be the ginger. It's actually giving me a headache

Edited by ianastar

ltrittipoe said it is like Love Me in the imp. I agree with that.

Love Me does not love me. It does yucky things on my skin, it just doesn't work on me, and turns pungeant and diapery.

When I first put Siren on, I thought "Oh no, this is gonna do the same thing... it has that air about it. :ack:

It was like that for oh... within the first hour.

But eventually..... oh, it morphed into something like how Voodoo is on me, instead! It became smoky, incensey like. Sweet flowery incense. Very beautiful, and just enough power to last and have the right amount of throw.

Verdict: I love Siren.

The blend of ginger and jasmine in Siren reminds me a bit of LUSH's Something Wicked This Way Comes, which is one of my all-time favourite LUSH scents. As soon as I opened the imp, I could detect the ginger above everything above. Whew, it's strong! I can smell the jasmine behind it, especially once wet, and a general sweetness from the vanilla although I can't distinguish that it is in fact vanilla. I don't get any fruitiness from this at all. I can almost detect a faint woodsy note in the background too. It's a nice blend but I won't be reaching for this one because I'll admit that it still can't compare to my beloved Something Wicked.