Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

How do you apply your BPAL oils?

Today I tried a regular coffee stirrer and it brought way too much oil out of the bottle. I do like the McDonalds coffee stirrers because the end is shaped like a little paddle and it's good for getting as much out as you want. What I really want are caps with glass wands.

Today I tried a regular coffee stirrer and it brought way too much oil out of the bottle. I do like the McDonalds coffee stirrers because the end is shaped like a little paddle and it's good for getting as much out as you want. What I really want are caps with glass wands.

Then I believe this is what you want.

I've not ordered any yet, but having just read through the entire topic, I can warn you of this and also this. So it might be a good idea to look around for other sellers (try froogle for starters).

Edit: Whoops, just realized the age of the post I was replying to... oh well, maybe this will be a convenient summary for some.

Edited by elbow

Then I believe this is what you want.

I've not ordered any yet, but having just read through the entire topic, I can warn you of this and also this. So it might be a good idea to look around for other sellers (try froogle for starters).

Edit: Whoops, just realized the age of the post I was replying to... oh well, maybe this will be a convenient summary for some.

lol....it's okay! I appreciate the link.

What I've been doing is this: roll the bottle between my palms a couple times, then take off the cap and press it against my wrist. The little knob inside the cap puts just the right amount of oil on my skin in a little dot. Repeat in a couple different spots, schmear, and I'm all set. This actually works so well that I don't think I want wand caps any more. But thanks for posting that....I'm sure other people will want some.

lol....it's okay! I appreciate the link.

What I've been doing is this: roll the bottle between my palms a couple times, then take off the cap and press it against my wrist. The little knob inside the cap puts just the right amount of oil on my skin in a little dot. Repeat in a couple different spots, schmear, and I'm all set. This actually works so well that I don't think I want wand caps any more. But thanks for posting that....I'm sure other people will want some.

This is what I've been doing the same thing. Seems to work just fine! :P

I am trying to buy some caps with glass rods for my 5ml bottles. but i can't figure out what size caps i need... i am looking here: http://shop.essentialsupplies.com/

i saw that people have ordered there before by reading this thread, but i didn't see size mentioned...

I am trying to buy some caps with glass rods for my 5ml bottles. but i can't figure out what size caps i need... i am looking here: http://shop.essentialsupplies.com/

i saw that people have ordered there before by reading this thread, but i didn't see size mentioned...

Check out the Bottles/Containers/Supplies thread in beyond perfume - a search for "wand" within the thread should get you what you need. :P

Check out the Bottles/Containers/Supplies thread in beyond perfume - a search for "wand" within the thread should get you what you need. :P

THank you!

I have been using a crochet hook. One of the metal ones. It works well for scenting my hair, and the oil has yet to season the hook, so a quick wipe and I can go back and forth. (Today my left arm is Dragon Moon (because I'm wearing the tshirt) and my right is Haloa. I have NO idea why, it's just how it ended up...)

The glass wand caps for my 5 ML bottles come from sunburstbottle.com The trick (and thanks to someone earlier in this thread for this info) is that you have to already know the item number because it is NOT on the website. Here is the information straight from my packing slip included in my order last month. (and I just placed another order today)

Item Number: ROD1/4TV

Description: 1/4 OZ GLASS TESTER VIAL ROD 18/425

Rate: 0.25 each

I placed my first order via fax using the form on the website. And todays order via email.

ETA: Regarding the order I sent via email, I asked them to use the same CC & shipping info and to call me if there was a change in price. I had a lovely voicemail from them on Monday to say that the price was the same, my order total, and the shipping date. I like that kind of customer service =)

Edited by Lionesse

I'm new to BPAL and got my order yesterday. Glad to find this forum and this thread! It answered a lot of questions I had. It may be an "old" thread, but there's still a lot of good info here!

Edited by Beckery

Ha, am I the only person who just applies straight from bottle to wrist?

Most of my scents aren't so strong, so the "dose" tends to be about right. In the strongest cases, it's just strong enough to notice from a couple feet away -- in a light, "ooh, I smell something" fashion -- as far as I know. (I'm sensitive to fragrance and make myself sick if I put on too much. So as long as I don't feel overwhelmed, I feel pretty confident it's not too much!)

I press my wrist over the bottle opening, flip it over, and then flip it back. Usually I wait a few seconds for the oil to drain a little, and I try to scrape my wrist a bit with the bottle lip, so that I don't leave too much. Then, I dab my wrists together (up and down the insides of my arms) and against my neck. (I find that's the best way to apply to my neck, because a whole wand stroke can be a bit too much for my nose.)

I've also used clean drinking straws or other plastic stick-like objects as wands. That works well, especially for stronger scents, as it gives you a bit more control.

I usually use bobby pins! I do the rolly thing with the bottle, open it, dip the end of the hair pin in, and use that to put it on my wrists/elbows, behind the ear, etc. Then I put the pin in my hair :P

Then I put the pin in my hair :D

Brilliant!

I *second* that BRILLIANT! There are a few blends that my body chemistry wreaks havoc on but smell beautiful when I apply them in my hair just shy of my scalp. This is a great way to do that!! :P

Heh. Nope. I upend the bottle once against each wrist, then apply wrists to opposing inner elbows.

Since I am prone to random whims of decanting for others from my bottles as well as occasional swapping or selling of a partial bottle, I like to keep them as pristine as possible - so I normally apply from my own decants...however from my decants I dab whatever's on the itty bitty plastic tip and then slather straight from the vial most of the time since I'd be forever dipping that tiny applicator in order to transfer enough oil to my skin. :P (I am more frugal with super rare stuff, which I don't have many of to begin with)

However, I do have a couple bottles with glass wand caps (Snake Charmer, Haunted Palace & Snow White) and a few with reducer caps (Vasakasajja, Hunter Moon, Chaste Moon, Temperance) because that's the way they came to me. And I keep a little pouch with 3 glass cocktail stirs tucked in my main bottle box in case I feel like applying straight from one of my bottles. (easily cleaned with alcohol on a cotton ball when I'm done and just slide back in the pouch)

And I have a few bottles that I've 'claimed' as forever my own (Bastet, Urd, The Caterpillar, Snake Oil, Snow White '04, Temple Viper and my open bottles of Mum & White Moons) since I freely dab from the cap and/or slather straight from the bottle, mostly as others have described up-ending the bottle up against my arm and wrists - then I wipe my wrist along my neck to move the fragrance to that area.

moonarcana, you're so organized!! :P

I know I've replied here before, but what the heck....

For testing a new oil, I am careful and just apply from the inside of the lid, or the rim of the bottle. I apply pretty lightly if I'm going out, too. If I'm just hanging out at home and I really want to lay it on, I will upend the bottle against my wrist on the inside. I like how olympia301 applies directly on her palms, so sometimes I do that too. Then you can cup your hands over your nose and really get to know a scent. : ) Some scents like Antonino are a little too heavy to wear that much, though. But Snake Oil is great for that.

Even with the bottles I'm keeping, I am careful to apply only where I don't have some other scent on my skin already. I don't want to 'contaminate' the bottle.

If it's a scent I'm keeping (which is usually the case with bottles - unless it's an LE, then I usually use a q-tip), I just press my wrist to the bottle opening, tip it and that leaves a little puddle that I then rub btw my wrists and on my neck.

EXACTLY what I do. It gives me just the right amount.

If I'm feeling particularly slathery, I tip the bottle onto my neck too, and rub my wrists everywhere.

I do look a bit silly leaning all over the place but hey!!!

Like Moonarcana I use a glass cocktail stirrer in my bottles as they are easy to keep perfectly clean. I've tried upending the bottle against my wrist but never seem to get the right amount, either too little or too much!

Thanks for the great idea of using cocktail stirrers! I've been using q-tips, but I don't like the fact that it absorbs alot of the oil, as do toothpicks. :off to google some stirrers:

Just wanted to say....

The bottle tipping thing with Snake Oil can be a mistake unless you wanna knock out an entire room (Which is fun)

*giggles*

I wrestled with how to apply from the bottles for awhile ... I was dabbing with the cap, which is easy enough, but I wanted to go the "clean" testing route since I only love about 1 in 5 oils that I try and I know a lot of people really want pristine bottles. Q-tips didn't do it for me; they absorbed too much oil. Toothpicks didn't seem to pick up enough. I wanted to buy stirrer straws, but couldn't find them, only normal straws.

And then I hit on it: I bought a box of regular straws (in fun colors) and cut them up into tiny applicator sticks. I cut each straw in half lengthwise, and then each half in half again, and then cut them into about 3" sticks - just long enough to reach into the bottles. Since they have a little curve, they pick up a good amount of oil - even too much, sometimes! I keep them in a little box near my bottle box and they work perfectly well - plus they hardly make any garbage. (Though the glass cocktail stirrers sound even better for that ...)

I tip it between thumb and forefinger, then dab on the oil from my fingertip. If I were buying for decant purposes, I'd probably get some q-tips so I didn't touch the bottle, but I haven't gotten into the formal decanting-for-sale-or-swap thing yet. I do decant the occasional imp for local friends, but they don't mind if I've touched the rim of the bottle, and I don't mind if they've touched their bottle when they imp me something. :D

Then again, I've lucked out with most of the few LE purchases I've made, and not felt the urge to sell or swap any of them until...well, until last weekend. Angeronalia. And I touched the bottle while trying it. :P Oh well...if I do end up swapping it or swapping imps from it, I'll just make sure I mention that.

I'm finding all sorts of neat threads today...

Heh. Nope. I upend the bottle once against each wrist, then apply wrists to opposing inner elbows.

It depends on the scent, and how much I want to smell like it. For light ones like Vampire Tears or Phantom Wooer, I'll apply straight to one wrist, rub my wrists together, then rub each wrist on my neck and shoulders. (And in my hair, if there's still a lot of oil to go around...)

If it's one that has a lot of throw, I just apply from the edge of the bottle, or the cap.

I like the idea with the bobby pins though. :P I may have to use that in the future.

Edited by steelxrose