Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

How do you apply your BPAL oils?

So....I use cheap little plastic swizzle sticks (which someone already mentioned).  Dip it in, use it to swipe the oil, toss.

Velvet

Uhm...this is just the randomly compulsive environmentalist in me going off, so do not be offended, but why do you throw them out after one use? I'm sure a single swizzle stick could last for quite a number of uses...and that way you wouldn't have to throw so much away...

I've only just realised this thread doesn't mention that you can request the Lab add dropper / stoppers to your bottles.

I asked Nella if the Lab will sell/supply the daubbers/wands and she told me no.

I think they supply reducers though, which I don't really like.

If you go to your local Herb/health food store they may have things like dropper / stoppers, and all the stuf you need to mix, hold and apply your oils. I know at least mine does.

That's a great idea... I know my local health food store doesn't carry it, but your post just reminded me of a local wicca shop that might.

I thought I was the only one who used a bobby pin to apply the oil! I like the swizzle stick idea though--especially if I'm out and no pin is handy:)

Fultiltredhead: I love your statement about applying the "precious", . even though you're referring to the name of the oil itself- well, speaking as a Lord of the Rings fan, I definitely conside the oil as an object of desire!! :P

I've been transferring oil from the big bottles back into the original imps with a plastic syringe, then washing the syringe thoroughly with soap and water. My logic is that if I contaminate the imp when I apply (with skin oils, body lotion, whatever), then it's just the imp ... but the big bottle remains pristine.

I've been transferring oil from the big bottles back into the original imps with a plastic syringe, then washing the syringe thoroughly with soap and water.  My logic is that if I contaminate the imp when I apply (with skin oils, body lotion, whatever), then it's just the imp ... but the big bottle remains pristine.

*nods*

I may have to start doing that, too. I've got a lot of bottles coming my way in the next month or so! :P

Also, the imps are a touch more convenient to carry around for touchups. Good plan, Chin!

I think I'll have to get some dram bottles for that purpose. I have been carrying round imps, but I think I would feel safer carrying around oils in a container with a screw top.

I've been transferring oil from the big bottles back into the original imps with a plastic syringe, then washing the syringe thoroughly with soap and water.  My logic is that if I contaminate the imp when I apply (with skin oils, body lotion, whatever), then it's just the imp ... but the big bottle remains pristine.

*nods*

I may have to start doing that, too. I've got a lot of bottles coming my way in the next month or so! :P

Also, the imps are a touch more convenient to carry around for touchups. Good plan, Chin!

Cheers Morrighana! I keep my touch-up imps in an Altoids tin in my purse :D

I keep my touch up imp in a small film canister in my handbag. It's air and water tight so that if the imp leaks I don't lose any of the preciousss!

I asked Nella if the Lab will sell/supply the daubbers/wands and she told me no.

I think they supply reducers though, which I don't really like.

I have 3 places I get all my bottles, vials, and droppers from:

Specialty Bottle

Sunburst Bottle Company

Moonbeam Garden

... you can get the little glass perfume vials there that have the plastic tops with the wands. Among many other things to put your oils into. I think they even have the roller ball containers.

-Leslie

Chin:

If you want to keep your oils REALLY pristine, try using Iso Alcohol to clean the dropper instead of soap and water. I use that to clean everything I use to transfer oils, and I soak old bottles in it and everything. It really does the trick. I learned this from a friend of mine who works at a University Lab. He was fascinated with the whole blended oil thing, and he shook a finger at me for using soap and water because he said 'Soap will ALWAYS leave a residue of some kind", whereas the alcohol will not. It's worth the extra few bucks, trust me.

:P

-Leslie

Edited by MissAnthropy

That's a very good point. I have been using a coffee-stirrer to apply from my June Gloom and Brujah bottles, and it works well enough .. and later the room always smells like what I wore, because you never get all of it off. I may have to place another order with Sunburst .. or check out what this Moonbeam Garden has.

I may have to place another order with Sunburst .. or check out what this Moonbeam Garden has.

Moonbeam is nice - they just offer most things in 'packages'. Whereas with the other places, you can pick and choose how many of each item you want. You don't have to get 10 or 25 of anything. And that way, you can mix and match.

Moonbeam originally drew me in because they had those little glass globe bottles that the lab used to use a while ago. I wanted some to dress up some of my more favorite oils.

Another good place is Capricorn's Lair.

Good luck with whoever you choose to order from!

-Leslie

Edited by MissAnthropy

starting to feel like the sloppy one here... LOL i am always in such a hurry that i just simply do the "finger over the bottle top" method. now i feel like such a CONTAMINATOR!!!!!!!!!! lol

am i the only careless one here?!?!?!? :P

If you want to keep your oils REALLY pristine, try using Iso Alcohol to clean the dropper instead of soap and water. I use that to clean everything I use to transfer oils, and I soak old bottles in it and everything. It really does the trick. I learned this from a friend of mine who works at a University Lab. He was fascinated with the whole blended oil thing, and he shook a finger at me for using soap and water because he said 'Soap will ALWAYS leave a residue of some kind", whereas the alcohol will not. It's worth the extra few bucks, trust me.

-Leslie

Hee! I actually have a degree in Chemistry, so yeah I should know better and I totally agree :D Also, the plastic syringes I use are not ideal because the oil can permeate the polymer ... CROSS-CONTAMINATION alert!!

Thanks for the tip, madame!

Hee! I actually have a degree in Chemistry, so yeah I should know better and I totally agree :P Also, the plastic syringes I use are not ideal because the oil can permeate the polymer ... CROSS-CONTAMINATION alert!!

Thanks for the tip, madame!

We're all starting to sound like a bunch of OCDs over here! LOL!!!!

I too, just lazily slap my finger on top of the bottle to apply - or I use a Q-tip. I never thought I was contaminating the oil. Ack.

*Feeling kinda like 'Monk' from the 'Monk' TV Series*

-Leslie

So no one keeps their oils in a temperature/pressure/humidity controlled glove box??

Um... actually I do have a serious question about shelf life. I know I'm not even close to approaching some of your collections of big bottles, but it occured to me the other day that I may not use some of them up for a year or more. Do I have to worry about spoilage?

So no one keeps their oils in a temperature/pressure/humidity controlled glove box?? 

Um... actually I do have a serious question about shelf life.  I know I'm not even close to approaching some of your collections of big bottles, but it occured to me the other day that I may not use some of them up for a year or more.  Do I have to worry about spoilage?

ROFL Chin!!!

The Lab FAQ says:

How long will this stuff last? Will it ever go bad?

Our oil blends will last for over one year, if they are cared for correctly. Please keep all of our products in a cool, dark place to maximize their shelf life.

Over a year... now THAT I can deal with. But, extending shelf life is a good topic. Maybe I'll start a thread on this.

-Leslie

Edited by MissAnthropy

That would be great, MissA! Er, maybe I should look on the site before I ask this, but I need to know ... what is "properly"? I assume that dark and cool is good, but for instance, is the frige too cool? Indirect sunlight, is that too much?

Anal retentive BPAL addicts need to know :P

Anal retentive BPAL addicts need to know :P

Yes. We do. It's an investment! And I want to protect it :D I started the thread over in "BPal chatter".

I edited my previous post, too. The FAQ says over a year if cared for correctly.

-Leslie

Edited by MissAnthropy

This may sound odd, but the one 5ml bottle I have, I apply it by gently turning it over than back. I take off the cap and tap the cap over my skin and all the little droplets of scent come out of the cap onto my skin. It works well and I don't think it contaminates the bottle.