Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

How do you apply your BPAL oils?

I have always gotten great service at Pilot Vials: http://www.pilotvials.com/Roll-on-vials.html

Thanks for the recc! And to make double extra sure - their rollers work with BPAL bottles? I have zero desire to decant into new bottles.

The ones that LuneNoir recommended above that definitely fit the 5ml bottles look like they're back in stock;

https://www.gotoilsupplies.com/stainless-steel-metal-roll-on-inserts-caps-for-5ml-to-100ml-boston-round-bottles/

I have always gotten great service at Pilot Vials: http://www.pilotvials.com/Roll-on-vials.html

Thanks for the recc! And to make double extra sure - their rollers work with BPAL bottles? I have zero desire to decant into new bottles.

The ones that LuneNoir recommended above that definitely fit the 5ml bottles look like they're back in stock;

https://www.gotoilsupplies.com/stainless-steel-metal-roll-on-inserts-caps-for-5ml-to-100ml-boston-round-bottles/

I just bought a bunch so heres hoping that they work right lmao

Ty for the link!! It was most helpful

I just got my order of rollers from the link above and installed them on my bottles. So far they're working great! I also got the installer tool to help with fitting the roller in the bottle opening, I recommend that too.

Hello! Newbie here, Ive been lusting after BPAL for many, many years and finally took the plunge these holidays, ordered four imps and now four more. The thing is, oil gets on my fingers every time I open an imp, being someone that cooks and bakes a lot, its best if I avoid that, so Ive been putting on rubber gloves when opening and applying imps, but is there a trick to avoid getting them on your fingers or its just one of those things you must shrug off and live with?

Also (please dont kill me for this) does anybody combine two scents by pouring them together and making one out of them? Is it even advisable? I just received The Antikythera Mechanism, which is nice, but combined with Shanghai? ooh baby! It made sense to me to just get a roll on bottle and mix them up... sacrilege?

Edited by Francesca Findabair

Hi, Francesca! In my case, getting oil on my fingers is something I just shrug off. It doesn't inevitably happen, but sometimes it does. And some of the imp caps are so tight that I apply so much force getting them off that tiny droplets spray everywhere -- I've even gotten oil in my eyes. But it's a small price to pay for the magic that is BPAL. Some of the forumites who've been around longer than I have may have suggestions though.

As far as blending -- they're your oils. You can do whatever you want with them! There's a whole thread on layering BPAL, which is basically the same thing except you're not mixing them in the bottle, just on your skin. One member recently posted about her experiments in making her own Lab Rat blends (Lab Rat was an LE with the scent description "All the things!"), combining various imps into bottles. http://www.bpal.org/topic/91523-inspired-by-lab-rat/ Not heresy at all. Enjoy!

Thank you for that link, Lucchesa, it was a very interesting read. I have been experimenting with layering the oils directly on my skin and in addition to the mix I mentioned, I find that pretty much everything I got improves with a touch of either The Antikythera Mechanism or Shanghai, the thing is, I tend to smell more of what I layered last and I’d like it if it weren’t so... I digress, thank you again!

Is there a place to order both roller balls and wand caps? Just curious. I got my first bottle with a wand cap on it and really like it. I just can't see paying 9 bucks shipping for a bunch of fancy caps when I also want to try the roller balls too... mainly cause I'm thinking "That could buy me some bpal." XD

I am a complete dunk and dabber and not the least bit ashamed of it! :biggrin:

I absolutely love drowning myself in perfume and for the full size bottles I only get perfumes I like. After all, they are made to wear and use up and buy again! I am not worried about contaminating them because I am the only one who will ever use them and I go through them fast enough.

As for the leftover oil on my finger, after dabbing it on my skin, I just slide it in my hair for a longer, lingering scent! Then I wash my index finger with soap, water, dry it and voila. I am done!

So far I have not spilled any oils. Knock on wood, mirrors, glass, anything you want!

For imps I use the wand, unless I find out I love it and then dunk and dab again! :laugh:

Hello! Newbie here, Ive been lusting after BPAL for many, many years and finally took the plunge these holidays, ordered four imps and now four more. The thing is, oil gets on my fingers every time I open an imp, being someone that cooks and bakes a lot, its best if I avoid that, so Ive been putting on rubber gloves when opening and applying imps, but is there a trick to avoid getting them on your fingers or its just one of those things you must shrug off and live with?

Also (please dont kill me for this) does anybody combine two scents by pouring them together and making one out of them? Is it even advisable? I just received The Antikythera Mechanism, which is nice, but combined with Shanghai? ooh baby! It made sense to me to just get a roll on bottle and mix them up... sacrilege?

Hi Francesca, concerning your imps leaking onto your fingers, I rarely have this problem, but my friend gets it on her fingers like %95 of the time. The two differences I've noticed between the ways we open our imps are that she is WAY more careful about it, ironically, and that she tends to hold her fingers further down the top of the imp so that they are touching the line between the glass and the plastic. My hypothesis is that her skin touching the seal is sort of drawing the oil up when she wiggles the top out. So maybe throw caution to the wind, and hold the top of the imp higher up? I also wiggle my tops out vs. pulling them.

Maybe we'll have to run scientific experiments since this is now officially a forum question. :P

As for mixing Shanghai and AM - You do you, boo boo.

Is there a place to order both roller balls and wand caps? Just curious. I got my first bottle with a wand cap on it and really like it. I just can't see paying 9 bucks shipping for a bunch of fancy caps when I also want to try the roller balls too... mainly cause I'm thinking "That could buy me some bpal." XD

you might try ED Luce. They definitely have wand caps.

Though I typically apply my BPAL favourites from their bottles with my fingertip, I will use a fresh bobby pin or hairpin to cleanly dabble with the rest of my bottles. I do have a couple of my BPALs wandcapped, and I really like the wand application as well.

Has anyone come across some sort of thin glass sticks anywhere? Along the lines of the glass wandcap wands, but longer (and without the cap part)? I keep thinking they'd work great as a reusable applicator that could be cleaned with alcohol. The closest I've seen so far were glass drink stirrers, but they were way too thick.

I use a plastic drink stirrer like that; I would love a thin enough glass one but haven't found one. But the plastic stir stick is free from Starbucks, so... :rolleyes2:

It really has the perfect size teensy circle at the end, though, to dab just enough oil on your wrist.

I use a plastic drink stirrer like that; I would love a thin enough glass one but haven't found one. But the plastic stir stick is free from Starbucks, so... :rolleyes2:

It really has the perfect size teensy circle at the end, though, to dab just enough oil on your wrist.

This is a great idea!

Yes! That's clever, I like it!

If I ever happen upon an ideal glass version I will *muppetflail* my way here to share! :tongue:

Has anyone come across some sort of thin glass sticks anywhere? Along the lines of the glass wandcap wands, but longer (and without the cap part)? I keep thinking they'd work great as a reusable applicator that could be cleaned with alcohol. The closest I've seen so far were glass drink stirrers, but they were way too thick.

Like this? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01L6S9E7E/?coliid=I3B3K0OIONB4MF&colid=2QD857VD45P60&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Haven't tried them, but I bookmarked them awhile back.

I've been using wandcaps and they work well for me, something about tipping a bottle just screams DANGER. I also hate rollerballs, as I feel it's always not enough or too much perfume. I think different methods depend on where people apply though, I'm an inner wrists and one side of the neck kinda person, but espically if you're someone that likes a bit more I think that rollerballs really do wonders.

I used to tip bottles but for the past few years I've been flipping closed bottles upside down and back upright, and using the little thing in the cap to dab it on my wrists, which offers a really awesome amount of control over strength

There are thin glass applicators that you can get for khol powder if that helps.

I typically just buy a mess of wand caps and put those in my bottles. Right now, I’m waiting on a BPAL order with some so that I can better test my bottle of Lilith Poundcake (as well as the stuff coming in with the wand cap order itself).

I'm experimenting with scent application since my skin has begun to eat up fragrance at an alarming rate. I slather (which I've been doing for many moons), upturning the bottle onto my wrist, inner elbow, then onto the tip of my ring finger to apply to neck and decolletage. But now... I have a spray bottle filled with vodka I spritz over the top to give some more throw.

I've experimented with mixing oils into alcohol in the past, making my own Snake Oil extrait using a 98% ethanol and 2% chamomile product (my ex used to use it for plant resin extractions, and I can't get my hands on that anymore). But the vodka, sprayed on top of the oils on the skin doesn't require pre-mixing and brings out the scent that little bit more. Thought I'd share in case anyone else has tried this and has thoughts.