Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

How do you apply your BPAL oils?

I bought some roller balls and have found that the most effective way to apply scent to my skin. I ordered wand caps with my BPAL order, but found that the roller balls which fit perfectly into the 5ml bottles work the best for me.

I apply full strength behind the ear, elbow joint, knee joint, base of throat and a touch above the belly button. Yeah..... I like to slather the good stuff all over! :biggrin:

Wait wait, so you found roller balls that fit right onto your BPAL bottles?? And the cap still fits and everything?? :eek:

The rollerballs fit right into the BPAL bottles, however you have to use their cap as the regular cap is not deep enough.

I got mine from GotOilSupplies and they work great! I have used the bottles for my other essential oils.

I went back onto the site and found these. They should work without having to buy the entire bottle.

Edited by LuneNoir

I bought some roller balls and have found that the most effective way to apply scent to my skin. I ordered wand caps with my BPAL order, but found that the roller balls which fit perfectly into the 5ml bottles work the best for me.

I apply full strength behind the ear, elbow joint, knee joint, base of throat and a touch above the belly button. Yeah..... I like to slather the good stuff all over! :biggrin:

Wait wait, so you found roller balls that fit right onto your BPAL bottles?? And the cap still fits and everything?? :eek:

The rollerballs fit right into the BPAL bottles, however you have to use their cap as the regular cap is not deep enough.

I got mine from GotOilSupplies and they work great! I have used the bottles for my other essential oils.

I went back onto the site and found these. They should work without having to buy the entire bottle.

That is so cool, thanks for the info! I love the idea of a roller bottle, but am way too attached to my BPAL bottles to switch over. My only concern would be the metal, I have heard folks mention metal can react with certain oils/scents??

That is so cool, thanks for the info! I love the idea of a roller bottle, but am way too attached to my BPAL bottles to switch over. My only concern would be the metal, I have heard folks mention metal can react with certain oils/scents??

Someone did mention that in another post so I did some research.....

When working with essential oils stainless steel is preferred as it does not react with the oils. Most companies that supply essential oils will also often sell the bottles with stainless steel rollers, so I'm pretty sure if there was a problem with interaction they would be the first to tell you to avoid it. Apparently, aluminum is the metal to be avoided. Plastic rollers are discouraged as some oils (in particular citrus oils) will eventually eat away at the plastic and contaminate your oil, and prevent the roller from rolling smoothly.

Keep in mind that the above applies to essential oils and not necessarily to BPAL, but I'm assuming that most of what goes into our beloved scents is the same.

I love the roller balls, and I think they apply so much better, but like LizziesLuck, I am very attached to my BPAL bottles so these are perfect. I am off to order some!

When working with essential oils stainless steel is preferred as it does not react with the oils. Most companies that supply essential oils will also often sell the bottles with stainless steel rollers, so I'm pretty sure if there was a problem with interaction they would be the first to tell you to avoid it. Apparently, aluminum is the metal to be avoided. Plastic rollers are discouraged as some oils (in particular citrus oils) will eventually eat away at the plastic and contaminate your oil, and prevent the roller from rolling smoothly.

Keep in mind that the above applies to essential oils and not necessarily to BPAL, but I'm assuming that most of what goes into our beloved scents is the same.

I love the roller balls, and I think they apply so much better, but like LizziesLuck, I am very attached to my BPAL bottles so these are perfect. I am off to order some!

That was my issue! I love the BPAL bottles and just couldn't bear the thought of decanting and not using the bottles. They're so beautiful.........

So my roller balls arrived awhile ago, and let me tell you I am loving them! They work particularly well for fainter scents, and are overall just quicker to apply. My one grip is the caps for them are rather large and not particularly attractive, but I don't mind considering how much better and quicker they apply scent on me.

Just ordered some myself to give it a go. Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Edited by Gracklebait

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I thought it was better than making a whole new one! I'm not sure whether I should buy reducer caps or wand caps. Won't I contaminate the oil either way? I feel like I would have less of a chance of losing a bottle to my clumsiness with a reducer cap. Thank you for any input/preferences you can offer!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I thought it was better than making a whole new one! I'm not sure whether I should buy reducer caps or wand caps. Won't I contaminate the oil either way? I feel like I would have less of a chance of losing a bottle to my clumsiness with a reducer cap. Thank you for any input/preferences you can offer!

Personally I'm a slatherer and wand caps are just a little too diffcult to get the amount of oil I generally need (it's good for my very strong scents that I dab though). A reducer cap could be good for minimizing spilling accidents (a roller ball cap like the ones mentioned above might be good too!). As far as contamination goes, it's something I've never really worried about and I think plenty of others as well. I think most of us use some method where our skin touches the oil directly or via wand cap or something.

I use reducer caps because I'm clumsy. It can be a bit difficult to shake enough oil out sometimes, but for me it's worth that bit of patience to avoid losing entire bottles to my stray elbows. That said, if I could find a uk supplier of roller balls that fit Bpal bottles I'd definitely go for them instead - I expect they're easier to use, especially on the neck.

I received a wandcapped oil that leaks, and now I'm noticing that wandcapped is added at the end of some listings almost like a warning. Do they all leak?

I received a wandcapped oil that leaks, and now I'm noticing that wandcapped is added at the end of some listings almost like a warning. Do they all leak?

I can't believe that all leak as I've received some in the mail that did not, however, enough do that if I ship or store them, I take precautions:

Leave upright during storage and usually no problem

If shipping, use electrical tape or plumbing tape and place in its own, individual baggie

sprout. you are like my BPAL fairy godmother, always helping me here. thank you. :wub3:

My skin eats scent so I like to carry some oils with me but I guess that's out, at least for the wandcapped one. Maybe the reducers will work!

Oh I hate to tell you but some of my reducer caps leaked worse than the wand caps! To be fair, I have not tried the reducer caps from the Lab yet, I'm only recently trying those out myself. The ones from Nocturne Alchemy have not leaked for me but I have only used them on their bottles.

Maybe someone who has actually tried the Lab's reducer caps can tell us?

I hate reducer caps. I pry them out immediately and use either regular or wand caps. I've never had an issue with wand caps leaking in transit. I use electrical tape and a separate bag as sprout notes.

sylvis, if your skin eats some scents (as mine does), try a scent locket. You can get inexpensive ones on eBay and washable felt discs for the oils on Amazon.

I can't believe that all leak as I've received some in the mail that did not, however, enough do that if I ship or store them, I take precautions:

Leave upright during storage and usually no problem

If shipping, use electrical tape or plumbing tape and place in its own, individual baggie

I hate reducer caps. I pry them out immediately and use either regular or wand caps. I've never had an issue with wand caps leaking in transit. I use electrical tape and a separate bag as sprout notes.

sylvis, if your skin eats some scents (as mine does), try a scent locket. You can get inexpensive ones on eBay and washable felt discs for the oils on Amazon.

I seem to only have a problem with wandcaps leaking during higher temperatures. I used to not put electrical tape on them because they didn't leak, but I do now during particularly hot months.

Sylvis, if you want some to travel with you, I can't recommend roller bottles enough. I find them at my local Natural Grocer or online: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EUXDLOO?th=1

I have noticed though that the metal may clash with some scents, so sometimes you might want rollerballs with plastic applicators. For example, I noticed milk-based scents did not seem to like the metal.

*snip* ...I think most of us use some method where our skin touches the oil directly or via wand cap or something.

I am (probably completely over-)paranoid about skin contamination, so I won't even apply from the lid. Roller-balls would bother me for the same reason. I use cut-up lengths of plastic drinking straw. As a terrible slatherer, it works great: you can put your finger over the end to get a good big drop (or not, for stronger scents). Also means none of my oils have had any skin contact at all, if I ever decide to sell or swap something.

(I won't go into the OCD details of how I ensure the straw pieces are totally clean, as people will think I'm crazy! :tongue: ).

Edited by spikyfairy

Should I be shaking them first? I've noticed that a few of them smell exactly the same to me in the imp & on my skin, just straight up cherry/almond. Could they have gone off or maybe they've just settled & they need to be mixed up? But then I read about travel shock and perhaps jostling them isn't a great idea. I'm overthinking this, aren't I.

Should I be shaking them first? I've noticed that a few of them smell exactly the same to me in the imp & on my skin, just straight up cherry/almond. Could they have gone off or maybe they've just settled & they need to be mixed up? But then I read about travel shock and perhaps jostling them isn't a great idea. I'm overthinking this, aren't I.

There are some oils which have ingredients which separate, and benefit from being shaken or stirred or James Bonded or whatever. Travel shock may be more about repeated movement over a long period of time plus temperature changes. "Settling" isn't just staying still; it's also about adjusting to the temperature and humidity in your home.

And oils can definitely change when they age. That's why you'll see people asking specifically about aged Snake Oil and aged Antique Lace, for example.

Most of the perfume oils should be gently rolled/swirled, not shaken (unlike the hair glosses, which benefit from a bit of energetic agitation). One or two blends are globbier (technical term), so you could use a clean straw or coffee stirrer to try to break up any bits that don't want to mix.

I typically roll my bottles around in my hands before applying - something I didn't do before I picked up a few blends where cocoa, in particular, would settle to the bottom and thus wouldn't even be detectable without giving it a chance to mix throughout the bottle just before applying.

I live in Phoenix, so I always figure my biggest issue with oils needing to settle is the potential heat they sit out in the truck/mailbox in before I get them into my apartment (I don't blame them, the heat out here would unsettle me if I was in it for extended periods, too!) ;)

It looks like GotOilSupplies is out of stock on rollers.

Has anyone got an alternate source to recommend that will work w/ the BPAL 5ml?

TIA