Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

How do you apply your BPAL oils?

Well several above specifically said that they order from that co, which is why I asked. There are a lot of places to buy them, that one seems the cheapest for those of us with large collections that like wand caps in all out bottles.

I actually order the ones from ED Luce. I found the link somewhere earlier in the thread, but these are the ones I order: http://www.essentialsupplies.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=M03025-APP45&dept=Caps. 18-400 fits perfectly into the 5ML bottles.

Which this thread just reminded me, I need to order some more soon. For my most used oils, I prefer to use these roller bottles (http://www.pilotvials.com/Roll-on_vials.html), but I like having the wand caps on certain other ones, the loved but not being used frequently enough for me to decant into a roller.

Edited by Magycmyste

Ok total newb question, but for 'slather worthy' oils (ones I definitely anticipate using up/not selling or hoarding) is it ok to cover the hole with your wrist and do a quick flip of the bottle for application? I know that skin contact with the oils chances changing them but this is just so much easier haha. Is it really any different than a wand cap in terms of possible 'damage' to the oil? (which also contacts the skin then goes back in the bottle)

Ok total newb question, but for 'slather worthy' oils (ones I definitely anticipate using up/not selling or hoarding) is it ok to cover the hole with your wrist and do a quick flip of the bottle for application? I know that skin contact with the oils chances changing them but this is just so much easier haha. Is it really any different than a wand cap in terms of possible 'damage' to the oil? (which also contacts the skin then goes back in the bottle)

That's how I apply all mine anyway. Haven't had a single one go ew from it or anything. I would assume most people use wand caps so they don't accidentally spill when they tip the bottle.

I think those that are more worried about skin oils tend to use coffee stirrers or the such, which are easily one time use.

That's how I apply all mine anyway. Haven't had a single one go ew from it or anything. I would assume most people use wand caps so they don't accidentally spill when they tip the bottle.

I think those that are more worried about skin oils tend to use coffee stirrers or the such, which are easily one time use.

Ok cool! Yeah, I've been doing the clean toothpick method for everything so far (I have the wrist splinters to prove it LOL!) but it's getting annoying for the ones I slather regularly ;) Good to know! Thanks!

Ok cool! Yeah, I've been doing the clean toothpick method for everything so far (I have the wrist splinters to prove it LOL!) but it's getting annoying for the ones I slather regularly ;) Good to know! Thanks!

I find the wand caps and toothpick method doesn't work for me when it comes to slather-worth oils I know I'm going to use up. :) For those, I stick my finger over the bottle, tip it and use my fingertip to apply the oil to my wrists, neck and streak in my hair. I find the fingertip method helps me control how much oil comes out of the bottle. If I get too much, I can just gently let it drip back into the bottle. I find he wand caps are great for more intense oils. The amount of oil I get off of the wand is considerably less than the finger method. I frequently wear RomantiGoth and only apply that with the glass wand since a couple dabs in all I need.

I hadn't thought about coffee stirrers for testing bottles I'm on the fence about, that's such a great idea!

I use oil straight from the bottle. Finger over the top, upend, rub finger in spot.

I do have some with wand caps from forum sales, but I forget they have them every time, and almost spill them everywhere when I don't lift the wand up high enough to clear the bottle when putting the cap aside. :/

Reducer caps are the bane of my existence.

This is me. Exactly! I've never seen the need for fancy ways of applying. And if my skin is somehow reacting with oils, I haven't seen any evidence of this.

I've hated wandcaps ever since I caught the tip of one on the edge of my bottle of Smut 2011 and spilled 3/4 of the bottle!! If I get a bottle with a wand cap or a reducer, I immediately change it out for a regular cap.

Sometimes I use Q-Tips,(for ones that maybe need a little more product), but lately I've been using plastic toothpicks. For some reason, I have a jar of plastic toothpicks-don't know how or why they ended up in my kitchen. But they are all different colors, so I can color code the bottles. ( i have a terrible habit of leaving the toothpick on the shelf where I keep my perfumes, but the color reminds my what I've been wearing)

I actually order the ones from ED Luce. I found the link somewhere earlier in the thread, but these are the ones I order: http://www.essentialsupplies.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=M03025-APP45&dept=Caps. 18-400 fits perfectly into the 5ML bottles.

okay, 18 months later, but holy CATS, thank you for this link. I seriously have to order a set. Otherwise I have to make all sorts of hard choices about what does and doesn't deserve a wandcap.

Also, how do you pry the reducer out of a bottle? I have one bottle which has one and I thoroughly loathe it (the reducer, not the oil).

Edited by Soupy Twist

I find that tipping the bottle and using the amount coating little nub that's already in there works great. I tip it over and back, open it, and plop the cap nub onto my skin where I want perfume. Usually get 2-4 drops on it that way, which is about the perfect amount for each place on my skin.

Wand caps! Wand cap everything! I'm a fairly new collector, but I do enjoy the wand caps to dab where I need to. Of my stash, I only really use about two or three regularly.

I use the nub in the regular caps, or wipe the oil from the outside of the bottle's neck. If I'm slathering, I quickly upend the bottle while holding it against my skin.

I guess I'm in the minority - I love a reducer cap! But then again, I also use my BPAL in my oil burners and as incense and make room sprays, and that way, I can do a drop at a time. Maybe it hinges on one's prefered use case? LOL

I have put reducers in my bottles I like to use for other things, and wand caps for ones I want to wear more of, and some I just leave wide open so I can slather at will. Ha!

With my 5ml bottles I end up doing the "finger over the top, upend the bottle, rub finger on skin" bit, but I've been poking around the forum for a while and I'm interested in trying out some other fancier ways of wearing my beloved BPAL. I have some of those rubber bracelets with various slogans printed on them that I like to wear a lot, I was thinking I'd try a few drops from one of my imps on one.

I love the idea of using BPAL in the bath, I think that's where one (or more, I love baths) of my frimps is destined to go.

I use toothpicks. A quick dip and a swoosh on the wrist and other zones. I use a new toothpick for every new dip in the bottle because I am scared of getting skin cells in my oils. Luckily those only cost a few cents for a tube of 100.

The tiny plastic wands in the imps work perfectly for applying oil, but the wand caps for the 5ml bottles are IMO too large and awkward. For bottles, I usually flip the bottle upside down (while it's still closed, obvs.) to coat the underside of the cap in oil, flip it upright again, and then open it and dot the little nib on the underside of the cap against my skin and/or rub the rim of the bottle against my skin where I want the scent applied, then rub the little smear of oil the cap/bottle rim leaves behind into the skin with the inside of my wrist (which conveniently ends up transferring the scent to my wrists as well).

Stupid newb question.......... when you decant your BPAL into roller balls, do you add carrier oil?

Stupid newb question.......... when you decant your BPAL into roller balls, do you add carrier oil?

I usually just pour it right in the vial, and it seems to work just fine, but I haven't tried it with a lot of different scents, just my bedtime scents, so it might depend on the viscosity of the scent?

I'd assume no. Unless the oil is giving you a skin reaction or maybe the scent is too strong for you, then it might be helpful. Otherwise, you can apply these directly from the bottle so there is no need to dilute.

I bought some roller balls and have found that the most effective way to apply scent to my skin. I ordered wand caps with my BPAL order, but found that the roller balls which fit perfectly into the 5ml bottles work the best for me.

I apply full strength behind the ear, elbow joint, knee joint, base of throat and a touch above the belly button. Yeah..... I like to slather the good stuff all over! :biggrin:

I bought some roller balls and have found that the most effective way to apply scent to my skin. I ordered wand caps with my BPAL order, but found that the roller balls which fit perfectly into the 5ml bottles work the best for me.

I apply full strength behind the ear, elbow joint, knee joint, base of throat and a touch above the belly button. Yeah..... I like to slather the good stuff all over! :biggrin:

Wait wait, so you found roller balls that fit right onto your BPAL bottles?? And the cap still fits and everything?? :eek:

For the ones I use less regularly, I use the nub of the bottle. For the ones I love and slather I use wandcaps, I love them!