Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

How do you apply your BPAL oils?

some scents require heavier application so I put my finger over the top and then dab inner wrist, elbow, back of neck, behind each ear, temples, cleavage,(couple dabs there, there's a lot of cleavage) just above belly button and behinds knees. I have insanely dry skin however which tends to soak up scent like crazy. I have to rub myself down with nuetregena rainbath and a light exfoliating cloth (salux cloth) every night or I will look like I've got baking soda or something all over me midway the next day. Band aids and medical tape come off in no time because the skin just sheds right off. Pain in the fanny.

I've also put a dab on my fingertips and rubbed in my hair then brushed with boar bristle brush. If you have fair hair do NOT do this with dragon blood scents :huh?:

Like a lot of folk, it depends on the scent. Voodoo Lily can be quite strong on me, so I use the little imp wand to swipe it across both wrists, once between the ladies, and one on my bottom! If it's a lighter scent, such as Pink Snowballs, which I loooooovvvvveeeee on warm summer nights, I go nuts. Behind my ears, wrists, inner elbows, behind my knee, on my foot and back of my neck.

Judyku, I love your avatar! <3

I usually test using the polycone nub in the lid, but if I really like a scent, and think I'll be applying it often, I'll give it a wand cap. I'm also considering getting some of those Aroma Glide roller fitments, but I haven't gotten to the point yet where I want to apply like that straight out of the bottle (I have decanted Touched Twice into a smaller roller bottle, so what's left in the big bottle is clean).

A question about wand caps for you experienced users - I got a bunch of extra ones from E.D. Luce, and I keep them in my drawer near my BPAL, so when I get a new bottle that I think I want one for, I can just switch them out. But I was putting a couple of wand caps on bottles today when I noticed that 3 of the ones in my package were broken. I can't remember if they were broken or not when I received the package, but I didn't think so. And I haven't exactly been rough with them, I don't think. Anyway, I don't know how or when they broke, but do you think it would be possible to fix them? Or should I just give them up as a lost cause and order new ones a little sooner than I would have otherwise?

Gosh I hate wand caps. I only have a few, from bottles that I bought second hand. I wish like hell I didn't eat up oils so much, then I could enjoy a good wand cap, but with my current slathering modus, they are useless. And annoying, as my usual routine of figuring out what I want to wear involves opening many bottles and sticking the cap under my nose, which is a bit dangerous with the wand cap sticking up... :lol:

A question about wand caps for you experienced users - I got a bunch of extra ones from E.D. Luce, and I keep them in my drawer near my BPAL, so when I get a new bottle that I think I want one for, I can just switch them out. But I was putting a couple of wand caps on bottles today when I noticed that 3 of the ones in my package were broken. I can't remember if they were broken or not when I received the package, but I didn't think so. And I haven't exactly been rough with them, I don't think. Anyway, I don't know how or when they broke, but do you think it would be possible to fix them? Or should I just give them up as a lost cause and order new ones a little sooner than I would have otherwise?

Hi Magycmyste!

I wandcap all the bottles that I know I'll definitely keep - for me, it's easier to apply using a wandcap and I don't worry as much about spilling oils. :D I usually order mine from E. D. Luce, too, and have been very happy with them, thought lately I've been ordering wandcaps from the Lab. By broken, do you mean that the glass wands have come out of the caps? It should be possible, theoretically, to glue the wands back in. I probably wouldn't, however, because I don't know what types of glues would stand up to the oils or what the glues could possibly do to the scents of the oils. I'd just order more, honestly, but that's just me! :D

Gosh I hate wand caps. I only have a few, from bottles that I bought second hand. I wish like hell I didn't eat up oils so much, then I could enjoy a good wand cap, but with my current slathering modus, they are useless. And annoying, as my usual routine of figuring out what I want to wear involves opening many bottles and sticking the cap under my nose, which is a bit dangerous with the wand cap sticking up... :lol:

Hee! I have unintentionally applied oil to my nostrils through being a bit over-enthusiastic in sniffing my wandcaps! :ack:

Haha, I have the opposite problem. Wand caps put way too much oil on for me! I have to use toothpicks with the wand capped bottles I have to avoid od-ing.

I got a wandcap with my first bottle and I love it but i'd prefer a roller. My only concern is that the roller might apply too much. Do those of you who use a roller roll it much or just kind of dab it? It would just be nice to be able to take these scents in a more travel sturdy bottle too. I saw YEARS ago someone said they wished BLAP would eventually have rollers. I guess to this day that hasn't happened.

I have two scents I got in a swap that have been put into roller ball bottles. I HATE them because it's impossible to get the amount of oil you want. It's either too little or too much. And it's sad because they are both great scents! I really like want caps myself, but plain lids work fine, too. It I was traveling with scent, I think I'd just use imps then, but I don't so it's not an issue for me.

I don't really use wand caps much (I think I've only got one on a bottle of TKO at the moment), but I really like the thinness of the glass wands on them. I keep thinking it would be nice to have a few 'standalone' thin glass sticks for applying that are like a longer version of the ones in the wand caps. Any ideas? I come across glass swizzle sticks once in awhile but they're way too thick...

Any ideas? I come across glass swizzle sticks once in awhile but they're way too thick...

I use Dixie stir straws. They come in boxes of 1000. I cut them in half and keep 2 cups in the cabinet with my oils: one full of clean straws and one to hold the used ones. The used straws fill the cabinet with the most delicious scent. I dip an unused straw to the bottom of the 5mL. When I lift it out of the bottle, it retains about 2-3 mm of oil plus a thin coating on the outside of the straw. After dabbing behind my ears, I blow the rest out onto my wrist. Enough for a moderate application without double-dipping or bottle contamination.

Edited b/c applying "2-3 mL" of oil would be a pretty bad idea, I think.

Edited by arsinoe9

Any ideas? I come across glass swizzle sticks once in awhile but they're way too thick...

I use Dixie stir straws. They come in boxes of 1000. I cut them in half and keep 2 cups in the cabinet with my oils: one full of clean straws and one to hold the used ones. The used straws fill the cabinet with the most delicious scent. I dip an unused straw to the bottom of the 5mL. When I lift it out of the bottle, it retains about 2-3 mm of oil plus a thin coating on the outside of the straw. After dabbing behind my ears, I blow the rest out onto my wrist. Enough for a moderate application without double-dipping or bottle contamination.

Edited b/c applying "2-3 mL" of oil would be a pretty bad idea, I think.

I use plastic toothpicks. I found some that are spear-shaped, and the little plastic triangle on the end is perfect for applying a drop of oil at a time.

I've been using toothpicks but after spilling a bottle of Hellboy and discovering that the Lab is currently out stock when I tried to order more (just an excuse to try out some new scents) I'm looking for something a little more klutz proof. I found some roller bottles I like but the balls are made of stainless steel. Are they safe to get or is there a possibility of the stainless steel reacting with the perfume oil and contaminating it?

I use wandcaps. They're easier for me to use than the blotter thingy...totally what they'e called...that come with the bottles. Sometimes I get a bit overly enthusiastic, but most of the time it's the perfect amount.

I just do not get what reducer caps are for. They make applying so much more difficult and a lot of oil soaks into the cap and is just gone. Whyyy.

Okay, I didn't read through all the previous posts to find if someone had already asked this, so if it has been discussed, forgive me. Anyway, I see people talking about using plastic stir straws and plastic toothpicks to apply, but has anyone used old fashioned wood toothpicks? I'm worried about contamination as I already ruined one imp.

I use wooden toothpicks but I'm planning to switch to plastic as soon as I remember to pick some up at the store. I feel like the wood absorbs oil and is a waste.

I use wooden toothpicks but I'm planning to switch to plastic as soon as I remember to pick some up at the store. I feel like the wood absorbs oil and is a waste.

I used to use wooden toothpicks for testing (it's what I had around) and I also feel like they absorbed the oil. I ended up switching to plastic straws.

I prefer having wand caps on my bottles, but for those that I have yet to buy wand caps for I use wooden toothpicks. I don't think there is a risk of contamination, not that I have noticed at least, but it's true that the wood does absorb a great deal of oil. I'm going to get a big stack of wand caps with my next order, for the remaining bottles...

I use oil straight from the bottle. Finger over the top, upend, rub finger in spot.

I do have some with wand caps from forum sales, but I forget they have them every time, and almost spill them everywhere when I don't lift the wand up high enough to clear the bottle when putting the cap aside. :/

Reducer caps are the bane of my existence.

It really depends with the wand caps for me. If it's a strong scent I only need a small amount of, the wand cap is perfect. If it's something I like to slather or streak in my hair, no wand cap! If it's a bottle I'm not sure of and may sell in the future, I usually just dap from the little nub on the top of the cap. I'm glad the Lab did away with reducer caps long ago. I have a bottle of Gingerbread Poppet from 2004 that I painstakingly pried the reducer out of :lol:

Those of you who order wand caps from ED Luce, what size are you getting? Nothing seems to match up to the 5 ml bottle….

The Lab sells the wand caps that most people use so I don't know if anyone will be able to answer your question.

ETA: Back on topic, I just use the nub in the lid, or the wand cap if it came with one. I sometimes use my finger to dab it on if it seems to be a light scent.

Edited by Anne M.69