Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

How do you apply your BPAL oils?

this might make me totally hedonistic, but i'm one of those people who upturns the whole bottle of precious on the flat part of my inner wrist :lol: then i turn the bottle rightside up again with my arm to let the excess go back in the bottle. it might taint the blend, but hey, it's mine! it's ok if it smells like me! I never do this if i put lotion on first, though. i use a coffee stirrer in that case!

I 'clean test' with tiny pieces of coffee stirrers. My bottles for keeps all have wand caps, I love them.

Sometimes I do just turn the whole bottle upside-down on my arm. ^_^ Especially scents that I like to slather (Alice). It may be unreasonable as I only have 3 bottles (with 3 more on the way, although they are all unsniffed), but I'm far more worried about 'wasting' perfume by letting it sit around until it doesn't smell so fantastic than I am using too much at a time or using it up. Easy for me I suppose since all my loves so far are GC -not that it's a guarantee they will be re-purchasable forever.

Edited by animalcule

I 'clean test' with tiny pieces of coffee stirrers. My bottles for keeps all have wand caps, I love them.

Sometimes I do just turn the whole bottle upside-down on my arm. ^_^ Especially scents that I like to slather (Alice). It may be unreasonable as I only have 3 bottles (with 3 more on the way, although they are all unsniffed), but I'm far more worried about 'wasting' perfume by letting it sit around until it doesn't smell so fantastic than I am using too much at a time or using it up. Easy for me I suppose since all my loves so far are GC -not that it's a guarantee they will be re-purchasable forever.

i just got an imp of alice in my lab order, and just from smelling the imp, i can tell i need a bottle for slatherins. :wub2:

I finally broke down and got some wand caps.

Oh. My. Goodness. :eek: As a slather-er, I'm very, very upset that I have not gotten these before now! Ingenious little pieces of glass and plastic. :wub2: I now have to get enough wand caps for all of my bottles. (And I might have to go and stock up on a few scents since I am now more capable of slathering.)

It also makes layering a tad bit easier, IMO.

I finally broke down and got some wand caps.

Oh. My. Goodness. :eek: As a slather-er, I'm very, very upset that I have not gotten these before now! Ingenious little pieces of glass and plastic. :wub2: I now have to get enough wand caps for all of my bottles. (And I might have to go and stock up on a few scents since I am now more capable of slathering.)

It also makes layering a tad bit easier, IMO.

I love the wand caps! While using the normal cap works fine for wrist/neck application, the wands are totally the best for applying a scent to my hair (which is a great place for the scents that my skin devours or morphs). And also slathering. :)

I really need to pick up some more for my recent bottle acquisitions.

I've been reading through this topic, so I apologize if it's been asked before but I must've missed it if it was (and the "quote" code isn't working properly for me so all quotes show up awkwardly).

What's the difference between a wand cap and a reducer and so on? What *are* they? I've read on a couple of posts that you can request your bottles without a reducer or buy a wand cap with them. If so, is a reducer the default? What's the extra cost of a wand cap? What's better for someone clumsy who is also a total noob?

I guess what I'm asking is, can anyone give me a Types of Caps 101? Especially because I'd never even thought about most of things before, total n00b as I am. I'm doing my first order soon and it'd be a disgrace if I just spilled it all over my bathroom the first usage... thanks!

A reducer is a plastic kind of plug with that fits into the bottle opening - it has a sort of narrow funnel that dips into the oil and pours out through a single small opening, and it functions as a kind of dropper - you can turn the bottle upside down and instead of all the oil pouring out, it will come out slowly, drip by drip. Some people like them a lot because you never run the risk of knocking over a bottle and losing all the oil, and it dispenses oil in nicely consistent amounts.

A wand cap is a regular bottle cap with a rod attached to it - either plastic or glass (glass is better for BPAL because oils can eat plastic). When the cap is on the bottle, the wand extends down into the oil. People can then use the wand to apply the perfume. Some people like these because they don't like sticking their fingers in oil, or feel like they get better control over how much oil they dispense, or to avoid contamination of the oil - if you clean the wand after every application, your skin never comes in contact with the oil in the bottle.

(This isn't the same as a dropper cap, which is a cap that serves as an eyedropper, and sucks up the oil - the wand only collects the amount that clings to the outside of the wand, like with an imp, and doesn't actually draw up oil like an eyedropper would.)

I don't think BPAL uses/offers reducer caps any more, though I could be wrong (I've never asked them); Arcana and Possets used to use them, but don't now, either. (I think something about the reducer cap makes it harder to keep bottles from leaking during shipping, although there's no problem with leakage at all if they're sitting in your house.) It is possible to buy them individually, though. (like here!)

You can get wand caps from BPAL, though - they sell them individually here (scroll down to the bottom), and I think you can request wand caps instead of regular when you place your order.

Personally, I quite like reducer caps (not enough to buy them and put them on my bottles, but I like the ones I have), because I like the greater control over how much perfume comes out (and the reduced risk of spillage). I don't really like wand caps, because I always worry about getting the wand caught up on the bottle and knocking everything over! and I don't mind sticking my fingers in my perfumes or care about contamination (since it's all my skin). But it totally just depends on what you like.

Hope that helps!

I've been reading through this topic, so I apologize if it's been asked before but I must've missed it if it was (and the "quote" code isn't working properly for me so all quotes show up awkwardly).

What's the difference between a wand cap and a reducer and so on? What *are* they? I've read on a couple of posts that you can request your bottles without a reducer or buy a wand cap with them. If so, is a reducer the default? What's the extra cost of a wand cap? What's better for someone clumsy who is also a total noob?

I guess what I'm asking is, can anyone give me a Types of Caps 101? Especially because I'd never even thought about most of things before, total n00b as I am. I'm doing my first order soon and it'd be a disgrace if I just spilled it all over my bathroom the first usage... thanks!

I love reducer caps and I try to put them on everything. They usually deposit just the perfect amount in one drop, and if it's too much/not enough I can just press the top against my skin to apply just a bit of oil instead of a full drop. The regular polyseal caps aren't useful for oil application, and wand caps are the prettiest but are way too fiddly... those are the most prone to leaking in transit, and I don't have time to clean the wand after each application, so just rubbing it on and then putting it back in the oil strikes me as so... unsanitary. With reducers, I know I can't accidentally spill oil, it's super easy to decant from a bottle with a reducer cap, and they keep the rest of the oil "uncontaminated"... not that I really worry about contaminating my personal bottles, but I'm not exactly thrilled when I see cat hair or other little bits floating in bottles I buy secondhand. :huh?:

Anna D., thank you so much! That was super-helpful, I suspected wand caps were what I imagined they'd be but I wasn't sure. That really helped, thank you especially for the links!

findaghost, we're icon twins siblings!

A reducer is a plastic kind of plug with that fits into the bottle opening - it has a sort of narrow funnel that dips into the oil and pours out through a single small opening, and it functions as a kind of dropper - you can turn the bottle upside down and instead of all the oil pouring out, it will come out slowly, drip by drip. Some people like them a lot because you never run the risk of knocking over a bottle and losing all the oil, and it dispenses oil in nicely consistent amounts.

A wand cap is a regular bottle cap with a rod attached to it - either plastic or glass (glass is better for BPAL because oils can eat plastic). When the cap is on the bottle, the wand extends down into the oil. People can then use the wand to apply the perfume. Some people like these because they don't like sticking their fingers in oil, or feel like they get better control over how much oil they dispense, or to avoid contamination of the oil - if you clean the wand after every application, your skin never comes in contact with the oil in the bottle.

(This isn't the same as a dropper cap, which is a cap that serves as an eyedropper, and sucks up the oil - the wand only collects the amount that clings to the outside of the wand, like with an imp, and doesn't actually draw up oil like an eyedropper would.)

I don't think BPAL uses/offers reducer caps any more, though I could be wrong (I've never asked them); Arcana and Possets used to use them, but don't now, either. (I think something about the reducer cap makes it harder to keep bottles from leaking during shipping, although there's no problem with leakage at all if they're sitting in your house.) It is possible to buy them individually, though. (like here!)

You can get wand caps from BPAL, though - they sell them individually here (scroll down to the bottom), and I think you can request wand caps instead of regular when you place your order.

Personally, I quite like reducer caps (not enough to buy them and put them on my bottles, but I like the ones I have), because I like the greater control over how much perfume comes out (and the reduced risk of spillage). I don't really like wand caps, because I always worry about getting the wand caught up on the bottle and knocking everything over! and I don't mind sticking my fingers in my perfumes or care about contamination (since it's all my skin). But it totally just depends on what you like.

Hope that helps!

:GoodPost:

Thank you! I was also curious, but too ashamed to just ask like Butterbeer did...

Edited by SnappingTurtle

Hell, I've been collecting BPAL for over 2 1/2 years and didn't know what a reducer cap was. There are no stupid questions. :lol:

This is good to know, thanks! I don't have any bottles yet, only imps, but this will be very helpful for when I do have the money for bottles.

Today for the first time I actually used a q-tip stick for slathering. It's wonderful! I ordered several wand caps (I do love them) but in the meanwhile q-tip sticksare my new heroes!

Do you apply using a wand or pour onto your thumb and apply? Do you worry your skin oil will contaminate the oil? I wear moisturiser and sunscreen on my body. So I am concerned that when I apply the oil using the wand, the wand will get contaminated when I put the wand back into the bottle. Even using the finger. Is there a way to minimise it? Or do you have ideas on how to apply oil without direct contact to the skin. I noticed that some of my oil has changed, like become weaker? Not sure if it's due to my skin contaminating it. Perfume oils are unlike perfume sprays where you can spray without any skin contact. Thanks!

There's a thread for application tips in the FAQ section, but I use coffee stir straws. One dip usually gets enough for me since I really don't use much oil. I got a box at a restaurant supply store a couple of years ago for two or three bucks, and I'm still only about halfway through the box (I cut them in half because I am uncoordinated, and I always feel like a full-length straw will result in flipping oil *everywhere*). I will also decant a bit so I have an uncontaminated bottle (this is important to me for swap/sale purposes) and a vial I can not worry about getting my own cooties all over -- or even losing, dropping and shattering at the bus stop.

I always put my oils on fresh from the shower clean skin. I use a wand and apply on my wrists, elbow creases, behind ears, and sometimes a dot just below where my necklace hits. I also only use wand caps in scents that I am totally sure about keeping. I wouldn't want to "dirty" something I was going to swap to someone. My non-wandcap scents I turn the bottle upside down then back and the drops in the cap I hit over my wrists. (If that makes sense)

If I want to make sure I don't get lotion, etc, on the wandcap, I kinda hold it at an angle over my wrist and tap on it lightly to make a drop fall off onto my skin. If I'm not wearing lotion, I tend to slather. I've just learned not to put lotion on my wrists...lol.

There are also caps you can put on the bottle (I can't remember the name of them right now) that will make the mouth of the bottle much smaller so you could pour a few drops out at a time.

If I'm testing an oil, cutting the cotton end of a cotton swab and using the plastic part as a wand works well. This way a fresh one can be used each time.

If I want to make sure I don't get lotion, etc, on the wandcap, I kinda hold it at an angle over my wrist and tap on it lightly to make a drop fall off onto my skin. If I'm not wearing lotion, I tend to slather. I've just learned not to put lotion on my wrists...lol.

There are also caps you can put on the bottle (I can't remember the name of them right now) that will make the mouth of the bottle much smaller so you could pour a few drops out at a time.

If I'm testing an oil, cutting the cotton end of a cotton swab and using the plastic part as a wand works well. This way a fresh one can be used each time.

Reducer caps?

That's a good idea with the cotton swabs. I've been using toothpicks lately, even though I know the wood is absorbing some of the oil. Usually I just use the little bump inside the cap and I'm very, very careful that I'm applying on clean skin (with no oil already on it, or any other skin product).

I ought to get some wand caps next time I order, but for now, I've been placing my index finger over the bottle or imp, turning it over and back upright, then applying the oil on my finger on my wrists, neck, hair, etc.

I love my wand caps. If I don't know if I'm keeping the bottle, though, I'll flip it, and then apply the oil to my wrist/hand/whatever with the bit on the little nub on the inside of the cap. Once I figure out I like it, I'll switch that cap to a wand cap. And I always, always apply to clean skin.

im applying it on my neck (without reducer cap wich i need to have)

just wondering, on what way you can apply the oil in your hair? just put some on your fingers

and comb your hands trough the hair? :unsure:

I apply oil to my hair one of three ways... (always on shower clean dry hair)

1) I run the wand down my part.

2) I flip the imp (I don't own any bottles yet) onto my pointer, middle and ring fingers of one hand. I touch my hands together and then run my fingers through my hair.

3) I mix some oil in with my hair products. Need to be careful with this though because it may react or mess with your hair product.