Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

How do you apply your BPAL oils?

Yeah, that whole rolling/shaking thing, I was never sure what to make of that. Boomslang separates, so it needs to be mixed; I was told shaking it would mess up the oils, but rolling was actually beneficial. Which... I defaulted to gentle rolling because it seemed like a more controlled way to blend it. I'm pretty clumsy, so the chances of shaking myself into nasty Boomslang fling* seemed high**!

*sounds dirty, don't it.

**to the credit of the legend, losing your grip on the bottle you're shaking & having it bust on the hardwood flooring does seem like it would be detrimental to the longevity of the oils. Also, the flooring, if we're talking Boomslang. That stuff's darker than coffee.

Edited by whitemyrrh

I remember a thread talking about a special manner in which to roll the oils, and that it was the best way? Not sure how that would work for the cocoa-heavy oils, or for some of the citrus-amber scents like Khrysee and Lilith vs the Giant Crab which have separation in the oils, or the bath oils.

Which brings me to another tangential point: I think the idea of a perfume needing to "settle" after coming out of the mail can be a little silly. Oils can definitely smell different a week or a day or two after you get them, I'm not arguing against that. But the changes are due to age*, to perception, to temperature... not due to shipping somehow jumbling up the smell.

*natural oils change a LOT when they're first blended. If your bottle is super fresh, then it really might change day by day, until the components settle in. So sure, you can say there's a settling period, it just has nothing to do with shipping (other than shipping introducing your oil in extreme temperatures).

Yeah, I've always been doubtful of 'travel shock', and when some talk of their oils as if they have feelings and didn't like being jostled about in the mail and so will smell jumbled and bad once they've arrived. I think the oils are a lot tougher than we think. I don't think they suffer from the jetlag we get.

I do, however, think that the temperature outside may affect the scent temporarily. Like if I've just got the oil through the mail and it's a very cold day, and the bottles are very cold-there isn't much of a smell. Once they get to room temperature, they smell stronger-that's logical, warmer temperature does aid diffusion. Similarly in hot weather the oil may smell a bit different because the bottle is warmer than room temperature. However I don't think, unless the bottle's been stored in direct sunlight (now that is very detrimental to perfume) or put in the oven or the microwave, that a little bit of hot weather will damage your BPAL too much, after all your skin is warm and that heat makes the perfume morph in interesting ways.

I could be talking rubbish here but those are my thoughts.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Depends on the scent. I don't wrist smash really light ones (more of a light patting of wrists together), because I feel it makes the really delicate notes burn off faster... but it doesn't destroy the scent. Just makes it fade a bit faster. That said, I am impatient and want my oil dry NOW dangit. (And the delicate notes fading faster thing may be all in my head.)

It certainly can't damage the scent; that's ridiculous. The heat will just send more scent molecules floating up to your nose. So it might make your scent stronger at first.

As far as rolling v shaking, I roll. Just because it's a very soothing motion to me. And also because I am Le Butterfingers, and shaking a bottle will result in said bottle going flying. That said, if it's still not entirely mixed? That's what I keep the stir rods around for. (I dare anyone to tell me that stirring a fragrance will damage it.) Again, though, that's more because I have no ability to keep a tight hold on things. The sheer number of times I've had a (thankfully closed) bottle of something go rolling off somewhere... and it's never the bottles I can easily acquire more of. No. It's bottles like Bakeneko or Eris.

That said, I kind of want to perform an experiment on the matter now...........

I remember a thread talking about a special manner in which to roll the oils, and that it was the best way? Not sure how that would work for the cocoa-heavy oils, or for some of the citrus-amber scents like Khrysee and Lilith vs the Giant Crab which have separation in the oils, or the bath oils.

I definitely agree that rolling is a better idea than shaking. And it seems to work fine with the heavy, highly separated oils. I don't shake my bottles because I don't want to introduce air bubbles, but before I put on Boomslang, I give it a vigorous rolling between my hands. Not quite like I'm starting a fire (I don't do it for minutes straight), but definitely more forceful than, like, rocking a baby. :laugh: And I tip it over top-to-bottom a few times, hard enough to sling all the cocoa sludge to the top. (That method was good for Khrysee, too.).

I like to use wands with heavy oils like Boomslang- - then you can kind of stir it around before you put it on.

ETA: I love all of the discussion of application techniques that come up with BPAL. :laugh: We should offer certificate programs in putting on perfume.

Edited by naeelah

I've always felt that rubbing it in kind of advanced the scent on the drying scale. So if I enjoy the early stages, I don't rub in. Otherwise I do, as I want to get to the longest-sustaining stage of wear as quickly as possible. When I'm reviewing I don't rub in, as I want to be able to evaluate all the stages.

Yes, this has always seemed more logical to me than something needing to settle after shipping. Lab-fresh stuff does seem to change over the course of the first, I don't know, week? Sometimes dramatically. I just got a bottle of "The Illustrated Woman" today and the first time I applied it, it was very aquatic in quality; six hours later, it smells a lot more like I was expecting. I think the blend is still combining. Changes like this just don't happen when I get something from a swap. Even straight out of the shipping package, the blend will smell the same days later.

I got a roller bottle of rose oil a few years ago the day after a snowstorm. It had solidified in the bottle. THAT needed some time to "settle" after shipping... also, liquefy. :P

Just as an aside, The Illustrated Woman ages fabulously. I've discovered much to my chagrin that I don't like it very much fresh at all. I take my newish bottle out daily and stare at it to bully it into aging more quickly.

I do, however, think that the temperature outside may affect the scent temporarily. Like if I've just got the oil through the mail and it's a very cold day, and the bottles are very cold-there isn't much of a smell. Once they get to room temperature, they smell stronger-that's logical, warmer temperature does aid diffusion. Similarly in hot weather the oil may smell a bit different because the bottle is warmer than room temperature.

Yeah... this brings to mind red wine, which is why it's served room temperature. It brings out the flavors that are "hidden" by a chill. Perhaps it has something to do with the depth there is to something. So I guess that it's possible that the lighter components *could* shine a bit longer with a lighter, cooler touch, but I doubt it's substantial, and would take a far finer sense of smell than I can imagine. Still, I'm totally a masher and go for the deeper scents, so maybe it is some subconcious thing to warm and develop them to their potential. I agree with the others that the usual force of distribution seems hardly sufficient to scientifically do anything to such small components.

And regardless of anyone's perceptions on application, the fact remains that we all smell great! :P

I'm a roller because I am a scientist's daughter and I know that shaking will snap molecule strands. But I do smash my wrists because I wear a scent for several hours. Yeah, there might be a very minute difference over the course of the hours if I apply to both wrists separately but I just don't care enough. I have a large collection and I have a lot of bottles that have lasted me several years. Mashing your wrists together is only going to effect the perfume you apply. If you're like me and have a lot of bottles and wear all of your scents infrequently, shaking the bottle is not in your best interest because you will break molecule strands and they'll have weeks if not months to break down and alter the base scent. I agree with the overall consensus: Roll because you want to love your scent for a long time. Mash your wrists together because it will either just help you not leave oil stains on everything or you'll find out that you are the nuclear fission department of the X Men.

If there are very long molecules in the bottle, it might be possible to break them by shaking vigorously. For example, in the lab we don't vortex DNA because it's long and strandy and might get sheared. Instead we invert gently - basically turning the tube (or in this case bottle) upside down and right side up again a few times. Plenty of mixing, no shaking necessary.

But rubbing on the wrists? If you can rub your wrists together hard enough to crush a molecule... well good for you. You'd also be seriously damaging your skin in the process! ;)

I apply my oils behind each ear, then to my left wrist. Since it would take a bit of juggling (switching the bottle and wand between hands), I then lightly rub my wrists together. The rubbing has the bonus of speeding up drying time, so I don't have to worry about oil transfer to my clothes, cats, or husband. (He smells much better wearing Troll or Brown Jenkins, not Chimera or Love's Philosophy.)

I rub my wrists together. Only gently -- I basically just blot them together so that the oil distribution on each arm is the same. It makes me crazy when I have one arm that's smellier than the other.

Oh good! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one disturbed by fragrance imbalance!

I suspect this whole "grind the fragrance molecules" thing is bogus. You know.. like how And as someone with a chemistry background - it's also utter bullshit from a scientific standpoint.

Thanks for verifying! :) I'm not a chemistry person, but when I was still a physics major I *did* take a lot of chemistry classes with the chem majors, and I certainly never heard anything like that!

Here's my theory on the whole thing: someone somehow decided you should treat the oils delicately. It evolved into "oil smashing". They told other people. The internet happened. Now the universe believes it.

Edited by MaidMirawyn

When I put on oils I usually take a clean swizzle stick and dip it in the oil about three times to get three dots of oil on my arm, then I lightly rub my arms/wrists together and then rub my arm across my neck and my wrist across my chest. Is that a slather?

How much oil is a dab, how much oil is a slather? Please talk to me about how much oil you use - if you define it as a dab or a slather - and exactly how you put it on, I'm really curious. I'm also wondering if slathering references mostly the amount used in one application or if slathering also includes frequency of application. Like, maybe someone only puts on a small dab each time, but ends up applying it 10 times a day - does that end up being a slather?

Edited by strahlend

When I feel like I'm slathering, I put a few (3?) drops of oil behind each ear, a few on my neck, a few in my cleavage (followed by mooshing), some on my inner elbows, then about 5 dots on each inner arm and a few on the outer arms.

When I feel like I'm lightly dabbing, I'll put a couple drops on my wrists and a couple more in my cleavage and usually leave it at that.

I don't know if I slather or dab compared to other people though :lol:

When I feel like I'm slathering, I put a few (3?) drops of oil behind each ear, a few on my neck, a few in my cleavage (followed by mooshing), some on my inner elbows, then about 5 dots on each inner arm and a few on the outer arms.

When I feel like I'm lightly dabbing, I'll put a couple drops on my wrists and a couple more in my cleavage and usually leave it at that.

I don't know if I slather or dab compared to other people though :lol:

I don't know if that's an "official" slather or not, but it sounds like a fun and delightful application method! Yay for cleavage mooshing! I've been reading through this thread and thinking that I must be some kind of crazy person for using several drops at once :wink:

I have to slather, because (even with lotion applied before oils) my skin eats up BPAL. I decant oils I use into imps that I refill from the bottles, then just glop on a few drops from the imp onto one wrist, smoosh my wrists together, and then swipe them over my neck and chest to distribute the oil. Probably not the "right" way to do it, and I use A LOT, but these oils really do disappear on me quickly.

I have always been wary of wand caps, swizzle sticks or toothpicks, and this seems like a good time to ask what others think because it does seem like an easier way to apply the oils than what I do! I haven't been using anything like that because, don't you transfer oils, salts, bacteria and so on from your skin into the oil if you dip a wand cap into the oil after you've used it? I have wondered this because I know in medicine, a sterile instrument is immediately non-sterile the second it touches anything unsterilized. This made me wonder about wand caps and such, and keeping oils really "clean", so I wondered what others think (I even hope I am wrong, since it does seem like a practical way to use the oils).

So far as swizzle sticks or toothpicks, what you'd do is use a clean one for each application. It's not going to be perfectly sterile, of course, but you won't generally be introducing much more than normal environmental bacteria to the bottle... which will be introduced every time you open the bottle or decant from it anyways.

Wand caps... the one bottle I have with a wand cap, I tap a drop off the tip of the wand and onto my skin. Mind you, this is a very aged oil that is quite potent on me with two drops. As far as how to slather with one, you would probably need to wipe the wand against your skin. Obviously you probably don't want to do this with a bottle you're not sure you want to keep... but if there isn't a snowball's chance in Hawai'i that you're getting rid of the bottle, then there isn't really much to be concerned about re: introducing skin oils and such. Especially since you say you go through bottles very quickly. The ONLY thing I'd be concerned about is lotion, as certain lotions will ruin your perfumes rapidly. Skin oil? Not so much.

Although... again, I can drip oil off of a wand and onto my skin without touching wand to skin. It just takes a bit of patience and ::taptaptaptaptaptaptaptapGETONMYSKINtaptaptap:: :P

So far as swizzle sticks or toothpicks, what you'd do is use a clean one for each application. It's not going to be perfectly sterile, of course, but you won't generally be introducing much more than normal environmental bacteria to the bottle... which will be introduced every time you open the bottle or decant from it anyways.

Wand caps... the one bottle I have with a wand cap, I tap a drop off the tip of the wand and onto my skin. Mind you, this is a very aged oil that is quite potent on me with two drops. As far as how to slather with one, you would probably need to wipe the wand against your skin. Obviously you probably don't want to do this with a bottle you're not sure you want to keep... but if there isn't a snowball's chance in Hawai'i that you're getting rid of the bottle, then there isn't really much to be concerned about re: introducing skin oils and such. Especially since you say you go through bottles very quickly. The ONLY thing I'd be concerned about is lotion, as certain lotions will ruin your perfumes rapidly. Skin oil? Not so much.

Although... again, I can drip oil off of a wand and onto my skin without touching wand to skin. It just takes a bit of patience and ::taptaptaptaptaptaptaptapGETONMYSKINtaptaptap:: :P

That makes a lot of sense, thank you! Good point about lotions, I can imagine they do a lot of damage to oils, whereas skin oils are just sort of...well, gross. Even bottles I'm sure I'll keep, I often decant from them for someone else. So I guess it'll be a one-time dip with a toothpick, or else stick to my imps method. Thank you for clearing that up, though, I did think skin oils or bacteria would harm the oil more than they apparently do! :)

I have to slather, because (even with lotion applied before oils) my skin eats up BPAL. I decant oils I use into imps that I refill from the bottles, then just glop on a few drops from the imp onto one wrist, smoosh my wrists together, and then swipe them over my neck and chest to distribute the oil. Probably not the "right" way to do it, and I use A LOT, but these oils really do disappear on me quickly.

I have always been wary of wand caps, swizzle sticks or toothpicks, and this seems like a good time to ask what others think because it does seem like an easier way to apply the oils than what I do! I haven't been using anything like that because, don't you transfer oils, salts, bacteria and so on from your skin into the oil if you dip a wand cap into the oil after you've used it? I have wondered this because I know in medicine, a sterile instrument is immediately non-sterile the second it touches anything unsterilized. This made me wonder about wand caps and such, and keeping oils really "clean", so I wondered what others think (I even hope I am wrong, since it does seem like a practical way to use the oils).

If I'm applying right from a bottle I use a toothpick or decapitated q-tip. I only dip the q-tip into the oil once, and then swipe it onto my wrists or neck. If I dip the toothpick deeply into the oil there will be enough on my wrist that I can transfer some to behind my ears, cleavage, underarms wherever. Plastic q-tips are hollow and some oil gets in there like a little pipette and you can blow it out into a puddle on your wrist and then put it anywhere.

The oils I use most often I decant into imp vials and just use the imp-wand as this is easier and the bottle is less likely to be spilled.

I am a great believer in inverting the bottles and even imps a few times and taking two minutes or so to gently roll them every which way. Before I started rolling the imps I noticed a couple that smelled one way at the start of the imp and a completely different way toward the end (Black Lily was one and another was House of Night). I also suspect that a certain amount of the changes people ascribe to aging are actually from the oils not getting mixed properly each time they are used so some components settle to the bottom and aren't used up as quickly.

I do notice a difference with some back up partials I've gotten in the swaps where the oil doesn't smell as fresh as my own bottle even when they are the same age. They just smell a bit more blended and the fragrance looses definition. I thought this was people applying right from the bottle and introducing skin oil into the bottle but i could be wrong.

Edited by Myrrha

If I'm applying right from a bottle I use a toothpick or decapitated q-tip. I only dip the q-tip into the oil once, and then swipe it onto my wrists or neck. If I dip the toothpick deeply into the oil there will be enough on my wrist that I can transfer some to behind my ears, cleavage, underarms wherever. Plastic q-tips are hollow and some oil gets in there like a little pipette and you can blow it out into a puddle on your wrist and then put it anywhere.

The oils I use most often I decant into imp vials and just use the imp-wand as this is easier and the bottle is less likely to be spilled.

I am a great believer in inverting the bottles and even imps a few times and taking two minutes or so to gently roll them every which way. Before I started rolling the imps I noticed a couple that smelled one way at the start of the imp and a completely different way toward the end (Black Lily was one and another was House of Night). I also suspect that a certain amount of the changes people ascribe to aging are actually from the oils not getting mixed properly each time they are used so some components settle to the bottom and aren't used up as quickly.

I do notice a difference with some back up partials I've gotten in the swaps where the oil doesn't smell as fresh as my own bottle even when they are the same age. They just smell a bit more blended and the fragrance looses definition. I thought this was people applying right from the bottle and introducing skin oil into the bottle but i could be wrong.

Decaptiated Q-Tips used as makeshift pipettes - that is brilliant! :lol: I think I will try that, it sounds ideal for me.

I think you are right about having to mix the oils each time. A friend of mine is very much into aromatherapy, and has bottles upon bottles of essential oils. When I started to get into BPAL, he let me test some of these, so I would learn what certain notes smell like. I noticed that some essential oils are very light and watery, others have various degrees of thickness or are even more solid than liquid (oak moss or benzoin I remember as being more like a paste). It stands to reason that the thicker, heavier components would sink to the bottom, and lighter ones would float on top. You can see that in a few, like Boomslang, but in others it might not be as clearly visible and still happens. I learned to roll the bottles and imps from reading the forum posts here. Before that, I used to shake them...not shake them hard or long, but I would give them a few shakes. I haven't done that in a long time now that I know better, and I even like rolling them because it makes it a little more "ritualistic" to put them on, not like any old perfume, but something special. (*Sounds daft* - lol)

I haven't swapped for many partials, but that is just coincidence because the few I have gotten here have seemed fine to me, so I would do it again. I did have a strange experience on eBay, however, where I got a partial King Cobra. It didn't smell bad, but it smelled very, very faint compared to the bottle I already had. I'm not sure what is wrong with it, and I paid very little for it (too little to make any fuss with the seller). If it wasn't dilluted, it was probably not handled correctly. Wish I knew! Anyway, thank you for the advice and I will try the Q-Tip "pipettes". :D

How much oil is a dab, how much oil is a slather?

My "slathering": I open the bottle, put my finger over the top, invert the bottle, wipe my finger on each side of my neck. Repeat the inverting and wipe my finger on each side of my collarbone. Repeat the inverting and wipe my finger on the back of my hand and inner wrist. Repeat inverting with other hand and dab back of other hand and other inner wrist. Repeat inverting and dab in my inner elbow and at the base of my throat. Sometimes, depending on the scent and what I'm wearing, I'll also put a dab between my breasts, on the back of my neck, or behind my knees.

(I should note that I mostly wear lighter scents and that if I'm using something like Glowing Vulva or Crawdad Dream - which are REALLY strong on me! - I tend to go with SMALL dabs on the pulse points of my neck and back of the hand, and that's IT.)

And yup, my fingers touch the oil every time. I figure, they're MY skin oils etc., why should I care if they were in my perfume? (But I've also bought partials that weren't specified as decanted out, because really, I don't care about germs. If I get a bottle new from the lab, I test cleanly from the cap until I know I'm not going to sell it, but if I buy something from someone who hasn't specified how it's been tested, I don't bother.)

I test with a toothpick or Q-tip or something from the lid for the first couple times if I'm not sure I'm going to keep something. But after that I admit I do not make a great effort to keep my skin away from the oil, since it's mine and I haven't noticed any great problems with it yet. I do worry if I have lotion or something on my hands, and go rinse them in water before handling my BPAL. But other than that, I use the wand caps or swipe the inside of the cap with my finger.

I don't think I've really swapped anything that I've tested more than twice because I usually know I don't want it by then. But I've bought partials from people whose application habits I do not know, and it doesn't bother me. That's just personal though, and I understand how it could be a turn-off.*

*I got a package (forum sale - international) the other day and the customs declaration form described the contents as "used cosmetics." Which is totally accurate. But I went, "OMG, I buy 'used cosmetics' from strangers on the internet! I wouldn't buy makeup in a store if I thought someone had used it! What's wrong with me?" And then I opened the package and sniffed my BPAL and forgot all about it. :blush: But it does sound really insane when I phrase it to myself that way. I guess I just trust you guys not to, I don't know, take a foot bath with BPAL and then funnel it back into the bottle and sell it. :lol:

... seriously, though, don't do that.

Edited by Aldercy

When I put on oils I usually take a clean swizzle stick and dip it in the oil about three times to get three dots of oil on my arm, then I lightly rub my arms/wrists together and then rub my arm across my neck and my wrist across my chest. Is that a slather?

How much oil is a dab, how much oil is a slather? Please talk to me about how much oil you use - if you define it as a dab or a slather - and exactly how you put it on, I'm really curious. I'm also wondering if slathering references mostly the amount used in one application or if slathering also includes frequency of application. Like, maybe someone only puts on a small dab each time, but ends up applying it 10 times a day - does that end up being a slather?

Oh, I do that! I apply directly from the bottle/imp, slathering it on the tops of my forearms, lightly patting my wrists/forearms together and then lightly patting my forearms against my throat. I don't apply to my chest, but I might start doing that as well. :)

I lament the imps I've wasted by applying them directly from the imps with the applicator. I thought of imps mostly as testers that I would just throw away or pass to a friend if I didn't like them. I wasn't thinking about skin oils or contaminating the oil. Also, I usually try oils when I get to work, and it's so awkward opening an imp, turning the cap over and setting it down (without spilling any oil or getting it all over your fingers), cutting a coffee stirrer into sections, dipping it in and applying the oil, then picking up the imp and closing it up again. It's so messy! *sigh*

I will add that coffee stirrers, like Q-tips, are also like mini pipettes! I think they will work better with bottles than imps.

Edited by tailoredshirt

Does anyone have any suggestions for carrier oils? I would love to make an oil spray for after I get out of the shower, but I don't know which carrier oil would mix best. (I know this will vary by blend, but I thought maybe someone has had good experience with a particular oil.) Right now, most of the blends I use are fairly viscous and I don't have any sludge-y blends like Boomslang.

I would also like to keep some oil, diluted with some carrier oil, in a roller ball applicator for travel and work. So any suggestions for carrier oils for that purpose would be nice as well (i.e. are any of them too thick? I think I've had this problem with oils before).

Right now, I have access to jojoba oil, cherry kernel, and grapeseed. I've been thinking about ordering some sweet almond and avocado, but I suspect those might lend a bit of their own scents to the mix.

Thoughts on any of this?

Does anyone have any suggestions for carrier oils? I would love to make an oil spray for after I get out of the shower, but I don't know which carrier oil would mix best. (I know this will vary by blend, but I thought maybe someone has had good experience with a particular oil.) Right now, most of the blends I use are fairly viscous and I don't have any sludge-y blends like Boomslang.

I would also like to keep some oil, diluted with some carrier oil, in a roller ball applicator for travel and work. So any suggestions for carrier oils for that purpose would be nice as well (i.e. are any of them too thick? I think I've had this problem with oils before).

Right now, I have access to jojoba oil, cherry kernel, and grapeseed. I've been thinking about ordering some sweet almond and avocado, but I suspect those might lend a bit of their own scents to the mix.

Thoughts on any of this?

Hiya! There's some great tips on converting BPAL into different formats in the BPAL Chatter > Beyond Perfume section of the forums. :D

This is the link for dry oil spray

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=12394

This is the link for the roller ball discussion

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=42286