Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

How do you apply your BPAL oils?

Thanks for the input! I think I remember reading in a magazine many moons ago that rubbing perfume would kill a scent, but I had no idea if that was true of all perfumes or just alcohol based perfumes. I've been testing the theory out a little, and I honestly can't tell the difference between the scent if I rub or lightly dab, but my nose is not the most sensitive.

Since I haven't noticed a difference, I'll stick with my favorite method: tipping the bottle onto my wrist a couple times, then rubbing my wrists together and onto my neck. Works for me!

I've been converted - I used to dab with the nubby thing inside of the bottle, but now I've started tipping the bottle on the back of my wrist, then dabbing my wrist behind my ear. It gives a much better application.

I find that some oils smell odd if I rub my wrists together really ferociously, but rubbing them together in light circles doesn't seem to hurt anything and probably does help warm it up faster. However, I've since taken to not wearing BPAL on my wrists at all anymore (neck & chest FTW). I still rub it around very gently, not really trying to rub it in, and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I do love the wand caps though. I just have two, but I really think I'm going to buy enough for all my bottles the next time I put in a lab order. They pick up a good amount of oil and just glide across the skin really nicely (without the scratchiness or imperfections of some plastic imp wands). Everyone should try it at least once, even if it turns out not to be your favorite application method. ;)

I have taken to tipping some imps upside down directly on my skin (I have a few that are mysteriously without wands and I just couldn't figure out how else to do it), but I have yet to ever try it with a bottle. Besides sounding a little scary, I think it would be more oil than I want.

I never apply the oil undiluted to my skin. I use a pipette to decant a ml to mix into my spray solution then spray from a small perfume atomiser. I find it's a very convenient way to use the pefumes, very efficient and also keeps the bottles contaminant free in case I wish to swap or sell a bottle. I wouldn't really want to use a bottle of oil that someone had been tipping onto their skin. But that's just me.

I never apply the oil undiluted to my skin. I use a pipette to decant a ml to mix into my spray solution then spray from a small perfume atomiser. I find it's a very convenient way to use the pefumes, very efficient and also keeps the bottles contaminant free in case I wish to swap or sell a bottle. I wouldn't really want to use a bottle of oil that someone had been tipping onto their skin. But that's just me.

I only do that with bottles that I know I'm not going to sell or swap (and from what I can tell, most people who sell and swap on the forums have the same policy). The ones I'm uncertain about I usually decant out and use from the decants, so if I decide to sell the rest of the bottle it's no big deal.

If someone already asked this feel free to point me in the right direction.

I understand the use od reducer caps to eliminate possible "contamination" of the oil (especially if you are layering or have applied lotion.) What I don't understand is the use of a wand. How does that eliminate contamination? You rub it across your skin, right? Then you place it back in the oil. Wouldn't it transfer the same body oils and such that tipping directly onto the skin could contribute? I might be misunderstanding it all. Can anyone clarify for me?

Also, will the lab add reducer caps to an order if you only order imps? I'd like some for previously purchased bottles.

I have a stack of separated and labeled droppers :blush: I guess that might make me a slatherer.

How do you open the imps? I don't know if somebody's already asked, but I've basically been attacked by the imps I've opened thus far. o_0 I already got my first order yesterday and I'm afraid I'm going to waste it. =_=

Check out this thread - but short answer, I do this:

hold the imp upright, wiggle-wiggle-wiggle the cap until it comes out, then raise the stopper and hold the wand part against the side of the imp so the oil drains down from the top of the cap. Then you can apply or sniff without too much trouble. Don't snap the cap when opening the imp or you'll end up with oil all over! My friend does that everytime, lol

So a few weeks ago I saw these disclaimer from another perfume retailer:

"Never crush or grind the fragrance molecules which will potentially ruin your delicate fragrance combination," and "Do not crush the delicate fragrance by rubbing wrists together."

...And was immediately overwhelmed with guilt. Because, dude, I am a rubber, a crusher, AND a wrist smasher. I daub a fragrance on one wrist and start a boy scout campfire to distribute it to the other. I put a dash of a scent behind my ear and rub it in with my index finger. I mash a line of the stuff right down my cleavage. I mean, I don't do all of these things at one time because I like to keep my perfume subtle, but these and variations of them have been my perfume application process since I started wearing oils at 18. So I dug around in the BPAL forums because if anyone has heard of this, it's you guys (moment of panic: WHAT IF THIS IS SOMETHING EVERYONE INTO PERFUME ALREADY KNOWS AND I'VE BEEN AN UNKNOWING BLASPHEMER FOR 16 YEARS?!) but (thankfully?) I couldn't find anything like this. So I started a thread.

For the record, I experimented: I took a very delicate fragrance and daubed it to one wrist, leaving it to dry untouched. On my other wrist, I daubed it and then SCRUBBED IT INTO MY SKIN. Way more intensely than I've ever rubbed a perfume before. Two minutes later, they smelled slightly different: the untouched wrist smelled a little more "wet." Ten minutes later, they smelled pretty much the same. Fifteen minutes later, they smelled the same. After an hour, the fragrance had vanished from both wrists, but that's my typical relationship with very delicate fragrances. So, I mean, I'm thinking there probably ISN'T something to this, at least not something big enough to be noticeable, but what my nose just isn't refined enough to catch it? :ack:

Edited by whitemyrrh

I suspect this whole "grind the fragrance molecules" thing is bogus. You know.. like how you shouldn't jog too much, because it jumbles up all your insides. Or how if you swallow your chewing gum it will stay in your stomach for seven years.

A quick google search finds several websites warning against rubbing wrists together because OH NO the molecules will be DESTROYED! It does seem to be somewhat true, though, that the heat created from rubbing can cause the top notes (ie the more volatile molecules), to evaporate more quickly. But I'd be willing to bet that it would take Dr Nerdy McMolecularperson several years of looking down a microscope to prove that, and even if it is true.. we're probably talking about fractions of fractional percentages of evaporation that you wouldn't notice unless you have a nose the size of a football field.

Personally, I have stopped putting my BPALs on my wrists/arms - the oil seems to disappear too quickly.. apparently the inside of my forearms gets a lot of action during the day (who knew!). I've started doing the vertical swipe down from behind my ear to the bottom of my neck, right at the pulse points on each side. I don't "smoosh" the oil when I do this, I just kinda wipe it over my skin.. and it's still there *hours* later.

Maybe next time you apply your oil, find a really quiet room.. do the smooshing thing, then hold a wrist up close to your ear. If you hear HELPPPP MEEEEE I'M DYYYYYYYYYYYINNNNNNGGGGG then you are guilty of molecular destruction and should be arrested for crimes against nature. If, however, no screams of terror or cries of pain can be heard, then you have happy little fragrance molecules and there's no need to worry.

Oh - and in case you were wondering.. yes, there really is a Dr Nerdy McMolecularperson. Here he is:

geek_nerd_costume_kit.jpg

:smile:

edited for clarity

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

If that perfume retailer uses alcohol as a base for his/her perfumes, they might be referring to how the alcohol is highly volatile and the heat from friction can cause certain aspects of the perfume to bleed off faster than otherwise.

But for the perfume oils, oils are somewhat less volatile than alcohol, so I don't think the slight heat from friction is going to do too much. Not anything more than applying perfume right after a hot bath/shower, or after you've exercised, both of which will also raise your body temperature.

If he's talking about oils, he's probably basing the idea off the fact that all oils have long hydrocarbon "tails". Actually, oils will have kinky tails, caused by two or more of the carbons having a double bond, which causes the tail to bend slightly, and thus stay liquid at room temperature. He must be thinking that the rubbing friction will cause the tails to split, changing the nature of the oils. But chemical bonds don't separate out that easily, and shouldn't be harmed by your rubbing in of the oils.

If you really are worried, I'd suggest trying a simple experiment. Next time you put on one of your favorite BPALs, just swipe it on lightly, without rubbing, and smell after five minutes or so to see if the dry-down smells any different to you. I'm betting it won't.

So I dug around in the BPAL forums because if anyone has heard of this, it's you guys (moment of panic: WHAT IF THIS IS SOMETHING EVERYONE INTO PERFUME ALREADY KNOWS AND I'VE BEEN AN UNKNOWING BLASPHEMER FOR 16 YEARS?!) but (thankfully?) I couldn't find anything like this. So I started a thread.

HEATHEN. How do you live with yourself?? :uhuhuh:

I rub my wrists together. Only gently -- I basically just blot them together so that the oil distribution on each arm is the same. It makes me crazy when I have one arm that's smellier than the other.

But I have to agree that this sounds like a bunch of crap. I mean, you can damn near set the molecules on fire and they smell the same. (Sometimes stuff even smells better in an oil burner. *)

I have never noticed in a difference in dabbing the perfume on versus rubbing my wrists together. My daily application pattern uses a combination of both.

So fear not, faithful BPALer. Thou hast not strayed from the path of righteousness, and thou shalt be rewarded for thine devotion to perfume fidelity. (I really wish we had an emoticon that was wearing a miter.)

*Although I should note, I've realize that there's a point where the scent stuff burns out and all you have left is carrier oil, which turns into a gross, smoky mess. So if you wonder why your Snow White suddenly smells like something that's on fire, that's because you're just enjoying the soothing aroma of scorching coconut oil. So go blot the rest of the oil.

I suspect this whole "grind the fragrance molecules" thing is bogus. You know.. like how you shouldn't jog too much, because it jumbles up all your insides. Or how if you swallow your chewing gum it will stay in your stomach for seven years.

What she said. I agree 100%.

And as someone with a chemistry background - it's also utter bullshit from a scientific standpoint. It's simply not possible. If you could crush molecules you'd be a bajillionaire because you'd be performing nuclear fission.

ETA: Okay, so not fission necessarily - the bullshitter doesn't say 'grind ATOMS' - but at the very least that statement implies you'd be doing some serious chemical breakdown far beyond what naturally occurs with volatile chemicals.

Edited by fairnymph

So I dug around in the BPAL forums because if anyone has heard of this, it's you guys (moment of panic: WHAT IF THIS IS SOMETHING EVERYONE INTO PERFUME ALREADY KNOWS AND I'VE BEEN AN UNKNOWING BLASPHEMER FOR 16 YEARS?!) but (thankfully?) I couldn't find anything like this. So I started a thread.

HEATHEN. How do you live with yourself?? :uhuhuh:

:lol:

i am a shameless rubber. the best part of applying my oils is when i rub the oil in (not hard but enough so that it's no longer a dot of oil) and then wipe my fingertips off in my hair.

I've always been under the impression that what that meant was that you might burn off the components at rates different than what would normally occur if they were left to sit on your body (with it's natural body chemistry/body heat etc).

Case in point; I often rub my oils when I test them to better approximate the "dried down" scent. It's true that if you vigorously rub your wrists you are creating heat higher than your normal average skin temp so you could expect to (1) shorten the life of the scent overall (2) change the ratios of oils in the scent based on their volatility.

Maybe you like your blends filtered by component volatility? so what :lol:

What she said. I agree 100%.

And as someone with a chemistry background - it's also utter bullshit from a scientific standpoint. It's simply not possible. If you could crush molecules you'd be a bajillionaire because you'd be performing nuclear fission.

ETA: Okay, so not fission necessarily - the bullshitter doesn't say 'grind ATOMS' - but at the very least that statement implies you'd be doing some serious chemical breakdown far beyond what naturally occurs with volatile chemicals.

:rofl: :rofl:

This got my funny bone.

eta: I'm a shameless smearer, rubber, grinder, and yes, even a smasher. And I smell fabulous, as I'm sure we all do.

Edited by Indig0

What the bullshitter means to say is OHGODSYOUMIGHTCATCHFIRE!

Otherwise, I do the same thing you do. I think rubbing hard does accelerate the drying process - there's a perfumerie in Salem that will create a scent just for you and when she's testing you on skin, she rubs it briefly to speed up the drydown - but I don't think you wreck anything.

Also, nuclear fission FTW!

Yay! Thank you for supporting my "poppycock" alert!

Personally, I have stopped putting my BPALs on my wrists/arms - the oil seems to disappear too quickly.. apparently the inside of my forearms gets a lot of action during the day (who knew!). I've started doing the vertical swipe down from behind my ear to the bottom of my neck, right at the pulse points on each side. I don't "smoosh" the oil when I do this, I just kinda wipe it over my skin.. and it's still there *hours* later.

I'll have to try this, particularly with lighter fragrances. I definitely place a little behind my ears, though... lately, I've been fatiguing on some fragrances after a couple hours, :umm: especially sweeter ones, and having the scent so close to my face seems to push along that process. Maybe my tastes have changed. Wish they'd tell me to what!

Maybe next time you apply your oil, find a really quiet room.. do the smooshing thing, then hold a wrist up close to your ear. If you hear HELPPPP MEEEEE I'M DYYYYYYYYYYYINNNNNNGGGGG then you are guilty of molecular destruction and should be arrested for crimes against nature. If, however, no screams of terror or cries of pain can be heard, then you have happy little fragrance molecules and there's no need to worry.

Only problem is that with BPAL, your fragrance molecules are enjoying quite the orgy. And they're so very tiny, it's kind of hard to tell the difference between cries of pain and cries of pleasure...

Oh, Dr. Nerdy McMolecularperson!

How does this relate to the admonitions in other threads not to vigorously shake bottles of BPAL? (similar reasons are given - breakdown of molecules)

How does this relate to the admonitions in other threads not to vigorously shake bottles of BPAL? (similar reasons are given - breakdown of molecules)

I was thinking that...I'm also sceptical about the 'not shaking' idea. But maybe it quickens oxidisation because by shaking, you're introducing more air into the scent?

Shameless wrist-smasher here too!

Hmm..I agree that it is a wacky idea, and I'm not sure I buy it..buuuuut...I swear that when I apply generously but lightly with a wand or in drops on my arm and am gentle with the oil it smells a lot better than it does when I rub wrists together (which I don't generally do because of this). It's like certain notes pop out when I do rub a lot. The softer I apply the oil, the better it seems to smell and the longer it seems to last. Could just be in my brain, though.

I was thinking that...I'm also sceptical about the 'not shaking' idea. But maybe it quickens oxidisation because by shaking, you're introducing more air into the scent?

Shameless wrist-smasher here too!

From experience I can say DO NOT SHAKE or vigorously roll your blends. It CAN alter them totally and permanently. I do not know why.

I've always felt that was kinda BS too. Someone chimed in to say her bottle did change. Maybe if you really shake it vigorously like you're mixing paint, the air bubbles introduced will have some negative impact. I would believe that having a permanent effect.

But just rolling it and shaking it -- like if it falls off the table and rolls across the room... We're not talking super-collider velocities. What do you think happens to your box while it's in the mail? Clearly the lab doesn't think that the jostling damages their product, or they wouldn't be a mail order business.

Which brings me to another tangential point: I think the idea of a perfume needing to "settle" after coming out of the mail can be a little silly. Oils can definitely smell different a week or a day or two after you get them, I'm not arguing against that. But the changes are due to age*, to perception, to temperature... not due to shipping somehow jumbling up the smell.

*natural oils change a LOT when they're first blended. If your bottle is super fresh, then it really might change day by day, until the components settle in. So sure, you can say there's a settling period, it just has nothing to do with shipping (other than shipping introducing your oil in extreme temperatures).

Edited by naeelah

*natural oils change a LOT when they're first blended. If your bottle is super fresh, then it really might change day by day, until the components settle in. So sure, you can say there's a settling period, it just has nothing to do with shipping (other than shipping introducing your oil in extreme temperatures).

Yes, this has always seemed more logical to me than something needing to settle after shipping. Lab-fresh stuff does seem to change over the course of the first, I don't know, week? Sometimes dramatically. I just got a bottle of "The Illustrated Woman" today and the first time I applied it, it was very aquatic in quality; six hours later, it smells a lot more like I was expecting. I think the blend is still combining. Changes like this just don't happen when I get something from a swap. Even straight out of the shipping package, the blend will smell the same days later.

I got a roller bottle of rose oil a few years ago the day after a snowstorm. It had solidified in the bottle. THAT needed some time to "settle" after shipping... also, liquefy. :P