Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

How do you apply your BPAL oils?

Hehe, love the lecture Red Hot! :P (I like caling you that.) I've actually been using an old diary key to get under the reducer caps then bring it all around under it to get it up then it just pops off easily.

I concur, that was a good post. Now I just need to figure out how to get those pesky reducer caps off since my Queen of Spades just gushes out of the stupid reducer anyway... :P

And I like the Viscosity Rating idea, but what would be be basing the rating on? What I mean by that is...how thick are they in comparison to what? I hope that makes some sense...I'm tired. My idea of runny might be differen than someone else's, even if it was on a scale of 1 to 10. But if you said, for example: 1 being the consistency of water and 10 being, say, a brick...well, then I'd know what you meant. :D

Am I making any sense at all? I have this strange feeling that I'm not...it's been one of those days... :D

~ Penance

I concur, that was a good post.  Now I just need to figure out how to get those pesky reducer caps off since my Queen of Spades just gushes out of the stupid reducer anyway... :P

I remove the reducers with a pair of 'bottle nose' jewelry pliers. Gently. Haven't damaged a reducer, or a bottle yet. Give it a go. Just don't use big, clumsy hardware pliers. Those are bad news for this kind of job.

-Leslie

I found a picture that might help us wondering about reducers... I hope that it's okay for me to post this link hehe. :P I think this might give some of us a visual:

Reducer Cap

I just made my first BPAL order and it has a Sugar Skull in it, I didn't ask for any different top or anything though.... I was curious as to what reducers were etc... Maybe this could help someone else understand as far as this goes?

I hope this helps someone!

--Mystina

I think maybe I'll get some small pliers and give it a go. I just have this horrible mental image of perfume oil flying everywhere as the top comes flying off...it wouldn't be the first time something like that had happened to me. :P :D

Here's to hoping all goes according to plan...:D

~ Penance

I think maybe I'll get some small pliers and give it a go.  I just have this horrible mental image of perfume oil flying everywhere as the top comes flying off...it wouldn't be the first time something like that had happened to me. :D :D

Here's to hoping all goes according to plan...:D

~ Penance

Tell us how it goes, good luck on it! I always have those mental images too, I'm a HUGE klutz! lol. :P I hope everything goes well for you! ^^

I just wanted to ask, Penance, how is it going with the bottle you removed the reducer from? ^^

And I have a *kinda* stupid question.... is it possible to re-apply the reducer?

I'm still waiting for my order, but I wanted to know... And has anyone found anymore tips? :D

--Mystina

Edited by Pixie-elf

Couldn't find them; she may be out of stock, but these are 1/8 oz (aka 5 ml); I've been really pleased with these, too.  I take an address label, print two or three scent names to a label, cut them out, and stick a patch of packing tape over them to be sure they stay on in my purse.

Ships fast, too ... and you can buy from her ebay store in smaller quantities.

Those URLs give error messages now, as the item number has aged out of eBay's database. What's the seller ID? That can be searched any time.

I've actually just been removing the reducer caps with my fingernail. Just wedge your nail between the plastic rim and the glass rim and pull up - you will need to keep turning the bottle around as you do this, but with a little effort they pop right out. You could also use the blade of paring or swiss army knife (carefully, obviously). I don't really like this method, though, because the reducer cap itself has so much oil in it.

Edited by allidavie

I don't like the reducer caps, but in the flurried excitement of actually placing an order, I always forget to ask them to use bottles without reducer caps...

Anyway, I use either my fingernail or a regular butter knife to get them out. I agree, though, that I don't like losing all that oil, small amount though it is.

I don't like the reducer caps, but in the flurried excitement of actually placing an order, I always forget to ask them to use bottles without reducer caps...

Anyway, I use either my fingernail or a regular butter knife to get them out.  I agree, though, that I don't like losing all that oil, small amount though it is.

This might not work, but maybe you could Email Nella and speak with her about it the next time you order (if you forget!) maybe see if she could do it for you? ^^ I know that it'd be more desireable to take and put it in when you order, but, she might be able to get it done for you. :P Good luck!

--Mystina

I'm still waiting for my first order, so I have no experience to speak of. But I love this thread--you all are obsessed. :P And so am I.

Anyway, has anyone tried using medicine droppers to apply the oils? You know, those thin glass vials with the squishy black rubber thing on top. It seems like you could use those to get just a drop or two. I use them with herbal tinctures.

Just a thought. :D

I'm still waiting for my first order, so I have no experience to speak of. But I love this thread--you all are obsessed:P  And so am I.

Anyway, has anyone tried using medicine droppers to apply the oils? You know, those thin glass vials with the squishy black rubber thing on top. It seems like you could use those to get just a drop or two. I use them with herbal tinctures.

Just a thought.  :D

Yup, I think some people do, like someone mentioned plastic medicine droppers I believe...

If all else fails for me and the reducer tops suck/don't work for me I'll just get ahold of one of those... I don't think they cost all that much....

Now for medical reasons I always keep syringes on me along w/ Phenagren injections, so I COULD use the syringes... lol. Like, Phenagren, along with me using it when I get nauseated and puke, if I have an allergic reaction I use it too...and if it's severe, I rub the Phenagren on it....

I've found using a syringe makes it go a LOOOOOOOONG ways! Compared to me getting it on my finger and just rubbing it on myself.... it goes SO much farther, if that makes any sense...because I can squirt out just a little at a time.

The only thing I'd be worried about is the metal of the needle doing something to the oils though. :/ Any idea's if that would??

--Mystina

I really dislike the orifice reducers, I emailed Nella to ask her to leave them out of the 5mls I have on order. They either dispense way too much oil or nothing comes out and I end up shaking the bottle. Then of course, a whole bunch comes out all over the place. When you take the reducers out, you end up wasting a whole bunch of oils. So it will be nice to get the bottles from the lab without them. I just got some caps with glass wands here, they fit the lab's 5mls perfectly.

There's no problem with spillage Chupa? These look great and I'm thinking of ordering some, I just want to make sure they'll fit the bottles okay both in the box and when I travel on occasion :P

I like the reducer caps. They take away my fear of accidentally tipping over a bottle and spilling everything because the reducers act sort of like a "dam".

With the reducers, I can actually control the amount of oil I want use drop by drop. For thick oils like Snake Oil, I tilt the bottle to the side for a little bit and wait for the oil to get through the feeder tube and when it's close, I put the bottle directly against me skin and use just a drop. So, for me, it's really convenient.

I also like the idea of dropper tubes. Or caps with wands attached.

I really dislike the orifice reducers, I emailed Nella to ask her to leave them out of the 5mls I have on order. They either dispense way too much oil or nothing comes out and I end up shaking the bottle. Then of course, a whole bunch comes out all over the place. When you take the reducers out, you end up wasting a whole bunch of oils. So it will be nice to get the bottles from the lab without them. I just got some caps with glass wands here, they fit the lab's 5mls perfectly.

There's no problem with spillage Chupa? These look great and I'm thinking of ordering some, I just want to make sure they'll fit the bottles okay both in the box and when I travel on occasion :D

i second this inquiry. i recently got my first set of 5mls and the reducers are driving me mad. i don't want one of those dropper caps either - i want a wand similar to the imp caps. are they leaky?

hee. we're so needy. :P

There's no problem with spillage Chupa? These look great and I'm thinking of ordering some, I just want to make sure they'll fit the bottles okay both in the box and when I travel on occasion :D

i second this inquiry. i recently got my first set of 5mls and the reducers are driving me mad. i don't want one of those dropper caps either - i want a wand similar to the imp caps. are they leaky?

hee. we're so needy. :D

Sorry I didn't see your questions earlier :P The caps with the wands that I pointed to in the link fit perfectly, the bottles don't leak. But if you are a klutz, you could knock the bottles over while you have the cap off, so I guess you should stick with the orifice reducers. I like not having them because I have to take them out anyway if I am decanting. And so far, I haven't had any mishaps but I am very careful with the open bottle!

thanks chupachup! i'm going to order a bunch of them today. i can be a clutz sometimes but i'd so prefer to be able to apply from my 5mls with a wand that it'll be worth it. and i'll be careful. because, duh, the precious. :P

I'd like to note that those wand caps are wonderful. I lurv the ones I ordered, and they were reasonably inexpensive, so I bought a whole lot to have on hand. I'm finally able to apply nicely.

Though I'm thinking that if you got some glass stirring rods (plastic melts... eep) you could get a drop or two from on top of the orifice reducer. Those things just don't work right for me for whatever reason. I left one on my mabon because I like to drip just a bit into lotion, but I think I'm going to pick up pipettes or droppers for that now.

~bubbles

Yaaay! Thanks Chupachup! I shall now go order me some wand caps :P

Ironically I once thought I'd love the reducers but I have such a hard time getting anything out of them that it's invariably not worth the irritation for me.

I have a question...

Soon I shall be getting my first order with Sugar Skull in it... I'm guessing this is thick...

What's the best method to get it on my skin?

A. Let it drip out of the reducer

B. Use one of those tops with a wand on it.

? Thanks!

I only tried my Sugar Skull once and promptly shipped it off to someone else that would love it, but I didn't have a problem getting it out of the reducer. Although I suggest wand caps for everything because it's simply easier and simpler.

I thought about starting a new F54-specific thread, but since it sort of fits in here I thought I'd just jump into this one.

How do you apply your F54 (from the cool funky bottle)?

With the 5ml (I am so careless I guess) if it doesn't have a reducer cap, I just usually put the bottle against my wrist (so there is a seal) and gently tip it so that a little oil comes out on my wrist, and then I use my wrist to apply the oil wherever else I want it. This method does NOT work with the funky bottle. (Usually when I wear it I manage to get it out without having an oil slick, but I just took a bath in my expensive F54. :P) I of course don't want to take it out of the cool funky bottle to put it in another container, because that would be silly. Should I just resort to the swizzle stick method? (And where the heck do you get them anyway?)

I thought about starting a new F54-specific thread, but since it sort of fits in here I thought I'd just jump into this one.

How do you apply your F54 (from the cool funky bottle)?

I just hold the bottle with my index finger over the stopper, tip it upsidedown and then use the stopper to dab the F54 on. :P