Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

How do you apply your BPAL oils?

I'm finding all sorts of neat threads today...

Ha, am I the only person who just applies straight from bottle to wrist?

Heh. Nope. I upend the bottle once against each wrist, then apply wrists to opposing inner elbows.

It depends on the scent, and how much I want to smell like it. For light ones like Vampire Tears or Phantom Wooer, I'll apply straight to one wrist, rub my wrists together, then rub each wrist on my neck and shoulders. (And in my hair, if there's still a lot of oil to go around...)

If it's one that has a lot of throw, I just apply from the edge of the bottle, or the cap.

I like the idea with the bobby pins though. :P I may have to use that in the future.

o_O I couldn't imagine putting that much oil on at once.

Heh. Nope. I upend the bottle once against each wrist, then apply wrists to opposing inner elbows.

It depends on the scent, and how much I want to smell like it. For light ones like Vampire Tears or Phantom Wooer, I'll apply straight to one wrist, rub my wrists together, then rub each wrist on my neck and shoulders. (And in my hair, if there's still a lot of oil to go around...)

If it's one that has a lot of throw, I just apply from the edge of the bottle, or the cap.

I like the idea with the bobby pins though. :D I may have to use that in the future.

And I couldn't imagine putting on less! :P I am kind of amazed at people who use just the amount on one dip of an imp wand, or just dot from the residue on the cap - it's not a criticism, it's just because I'd never be able to smell the perfume that way! Either I eat scents, or my life-long allergies have shot my sense of smell and I'm happily stinking out everyone around me. :D

Seriously, though, I don't think I'm stinking people out, because when I *do* overapply, I can tell; it's just that most scents are completely unnoticeable on me unless I apply more generously (I just stick my index finger over the top of the bottle and invert, but I'll do it a few times depending on the scent). Maybe it's because I don't like most of the really strong varieties of scents (resins, patchouli, that kind of thing).

I still have found no better way than using the little thing inside the cap. I've tried coffee-stirrers, but I always end up with too much oil. And upending the bottle on my skin gives me too much also. I do it every once in a while if I'm testing something and I really want to get the full experience. But really, two or three dabs from the cap are just the right amount. With imps, I swipe once, re-dip, and swipe again.

And I couldn't imagine putting on less! :P I am kind of amazed at people who use just the amount on one dip of an imp wand, or just dot from the residue on the cap - it's not a criticism, it's just because I'd never be able to smell the perfume that way! Either I eat scents, or my life-long allergies have shot my sense of smell and I'm happily stinking out everyone around me. :D

I think my skin must really amp scents then. Because the ones I do just use the cap, it's really potent, often hours later. (Aeaea is a great example of this.)

I still have found no better way than using the little thing inside the cap. I've tried coffee-stirrers, but I always end up with too much oil. And upending the bottle on my skin gives me too much also. I do it every once in a while if I'm testing something and I really want to get the full experience. But really, two or three dabs from the cap are just the right amount. With imps, I swipe once, re-dip, and swipe again.

Lately I've been upending my bottle of Dorian for a bedtime scent. (Strange dreams have come from that.) But in the morning, I still smell like it. It's great on days off, when I don't feel like having a shower right away. :D

From the big bottles I apply two different ways.

1. That nubby thing on the top of the bottle: I dab it on my wrists and rub on opposite elbows. I can never seem to get exactly the right amount this way so I really prefer.....

2. I have a bunch of Q-tips that I have cut in half that have plastic, not rolled/compressed paper in the middle. I dip the plastic end into the oil and dab it behind my ears and swip along my collar bone. This is also what I do for stronger oils.

I reuse the Q-tips and just put a marker dot on the cottony end that coresponds to a sticker I put on the bottle.

I have acquired my first full size bottle (of Snake Oil), but am unsure of how to apply it? It seems a bit wasteful to apply with my finger, afterall, I don't need my finger to smell and I'd probably look rather odd giving it a sniff throughout the day :P

I have acquired my first full size bottle (of Snake Oil), but am unsure of how to apply it? It seems a bit wasteful to apply with my finger, afterall, I don't need my finger to smell and I'd probably look rather odd giving it a sniff throughout the day :P

I vote glass wand! But there are lots of other great suggestions in this thread

I use glass cocktail stirrers. After Christmas World Market had a bunch of pretty snowflake ones on sale for 1.50 for 6. So I bought two boxes. They each have a little sticker that corresponds to the bottles they go to. (I only have a handful of bottles so it's not too crazy yet.)

apologies for not seeing this thread, i browsed a teeny bit but am currently on my mum's dial-up so gave up and postd a new thread. You won't believe how long it's taken me to read this entire thread!! There's a few ideas that sound good to try. I'd really like a top with a glass wand on it, but the linked webpages are in the US. I'll have to try and google some UK ones!

apologies for not seeing this thread, i browsed a teeny bit but am currently on my mum's dial-up so gave up and postd a new thread. You won't believe how long it's taken me to read this entire thread!! There's a few ideas that sound good to try. I'd really like a top with a glass wand on it, but the linked webpages are in the US. I'll have to try and google some UK ones!

If you comment here on or lj (there's at least one active wand cap seller) there's a lot of BPALers who have some wand caps who could sell you a small quantity cheaper than the retailers. I don't think I'm allowed to give out specific names not on the swap boards, though, so I can't be more helpful. If you ask for some, you should specify that you want glass, because some are plastic.

I have a sorta weird way of applying my oils, but I find that doing it this way really gives any scent I wear excellent throw and long lasting power.

I use unscented dry oil (I buy mine from Scentastics).

I pour a little of this dry oil into my palm and shake a few drops of BPAL into the oil (I always use reducers on my bottles, but you could easily add a few drops with a dropper).

I then apply all over my body. If I'm using a lightly scented blend, I add a few drops of oil "straight" onto my pulse points.

In this way, I find that my BPAL scent lasts on my body all day long, and moisturizes to boot.

I like the idea with the bobby pins though. :D I may have to use that in the future.

Seriously, though, I don't think I'm stinking people out, because when I *do* overapply, I can tell; it's just that most scents are completely unnoticeable on me unless I apply more generously (I just stick my index finger over the top of the bottle and invert, but I'll do it a few times depending on the scent). Maybe it's because I don't like most of the really strong varieties of scents (resins, patchouli, that kind of thing).

That makes sense.. I like a lot of the resins, amber, woods, incense ones.

I'm also mildly asthmatic and can be oversensitive to some smells.

Life's too short to be fussy. From the cap, imp wand, imp itself, wand cap, upending bottle, in any and whatever fashion... Apply neat!

I have a pipette designated to each bottle for decanting anyways, so I use the pipette to put a little on...but I just got glass wands too, so those are nice.

The coffee stirrers are sucking up too much oil due to capillary action. The thinner the straw, the stronger that force becomes. If you used fatter drinking straws, they may not take as much oil per dip, because although they are wider, the oil won't travel far up the straw.

All that aside, I'm guessing that you'd be happier keeping your cap-dabbing method because it's easier and already works for you.

However, if you want a "cleaner" method for, let's say, testing something you don't know if you're going to keep, you can still use those coffee stirrers - just cover the opposite end of the straw with your thumb when you dip it into the oil. The air in the straw therefore will have nowhere to go, so the oil can't displace it, and only the outside surface will get coated in oil. Instant dipping wand! It's cheaper than a wand cap, disposable, and has less risk of contamination.

Myself, I just dump the shit on! (Unless, of course, I'm testing something new.) I upend the bottle on my wrist and schmear it on my neck and wrists. I upend imps, too, and it takes several times before I get enough. If a scent is strong, I'm much gentler with it, but I find that most BPALs don't have an overpowering amount of throw.

Ok, I have a question and I hope this is the right place to ask. :P

I have been looking between atomizers/spray bottles and rollerballs, and am not sure which to get. Does anyone know which is better for the BPAL scents? And out of curiosity why?

Thank you for any info you can give me!

Ok, I have a question and I hope this is the right place to ask. :P

I have been looking between atomizers/spray bottles and rollerballs, and am not sure which to get. Does anyone know which is better for the BPAL scents? And out of curiosity why?

I would suggest rollerbottles over sprays, because BPAL perfumes should be applied directly to the skin - they are oil-based. If you were to spray oil, it not work very well (atomizers are designed for less viscous [thick] liquids, such alcohol-based perfumes). The oil would probably squirt out in a stream and leave nice oil stains on your clothes. If you want to be able to spray BPAL, be prepared to dilute it with alcohol so that it is thin enough to spray evenly. However, changing the concentration of the perfume can sometimes slightly change how you experience the scent itself - it might smell a little different than the pure oil.

Rollerballs are much more convenient. You just swipe the applicator across your skin where you want to scent yourself (your wrists, neck, wherever), and the oil slides on in a nice, controlled layer. It's like putting on lip balm, very convenient and easy. So, rollerballs are my vote. Everyone's got an opinion, so there's mine : -) Welcome to the BPAL madness!!

That's what I keep seeing here on the forum, and I am leaning towards the rollerballs. I am not too keen on adding things that could alter the scent(s). And while I would like to wear the oils myself, I don't think I want my clothes to wear them. :P

And thank you for the welcome! I am enjoying the madness! :D

Ok, I have a question and I hope this is the right place to ask. :D

I would suggest rollerbottles over sprays, because BPAL perfumes should be applied directly to the skin - they are oil-based. If you were to spray oil, it not work very well (atomizers are designed for less viscous [thick] liquids, such alcohol-based perfumes). The oil would probably squirt out in a stream and leave nice oil stains on your clothes. If you want to be able to spray BPAL, be prepared to dilute it with alcohol so that it is thin enough to spray evenly. However, changing the concentration of the perfume can sometimes slightly change how you experience the scent itself - it might smell a little different than the pure oil.

Rollerballs are much more convenient. You just swipe the applicator across your skin where you want to scent yourself (your wrists, neck, wherever), and the oil slides on in a nice, controlled layer. It's like putting on lip balm, very convenient and easy. So, rollerballs are my vote. Everyone's got an opinion, so there's mine : -) Welcome to the BPAL madness!!

I am so afraid that I am going to spill my bottles that I decanted some into imps for my own use.

That's why I use reducer caps. I'm so clumsy that I have spilled before-- a bottle with a wand cap and a regular bottle-- and it was so traumatic that I switched forever to reducer caps. You get just the right amount that way.

I use toothpicks for my bottls - use 'em, throw 'em away. I like quite a potent throw on my scents, so I do that for my wrists and the back of my neck.

I used to apply strait from the bottle, and still do with the odd lighter scent, but I really like potent blends so I reserve that for those!

You know how when you buy a new mascara, the brush isn't in the canister but instead they have this other little capper deal? It's a little plastic cap with a short wand-type thing. The wand isn't long enough to get into even half the bottle but it'll do for awhile (and in a pinch, as I discovered.) I just rinse and clean it off after every use, and it works perfectly :]

Where does one get these reducer caps?

If you request a reducer cap when you order from the lab, they will add them to your parcel free of charge, then you put them on the bottles yourself. I adore them, because they make application so easy and prevent spills. Some oils are thicker than others, but I label and keep the original caps just in case the oil becomes too thick for a reducer cap with aging.

The lab can also send wand caps for the nominal fee of 50 cents (but it might be wise to check the current price before ordering).