Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Cheri

Spare Change

No scent description available.

Spare Change smells like Nana's purse with mints and tissues everywhere. It isn't like any other scent I've tried from the lab. Its a sharp mint, almost piercing wintergreen like the inside of Nana's purse used to smell when you would snoop in it when she wasn't looking. I'm not sure I would wear this out, but it certainly gave me some scent memories of a best friend who I miss, and for that I like it. And now that its dry I smell soft, worn purse leather and mints. Spare Change is the perfect name for this scent.

Edited by Shollin

This one is so hard to pin point. Soft. I do sense tissues and leather. It has a clean powder finish too that is very comforting.

nice

This is so weird. I put Spare Change on and I really don't get anything like what the reviewers above me have gotten. As a preface, I should note that my notes from my four stocking stuffer imps aren't exactly matching anyone elses'...so who knows? Maybe I got messed up imps for all four. :eek:

I applied Spare Change and got a blast of cologne. Aquatic, manly cologne. I can compare this to Festival of Anuket; Spare Change is very clean, and very metallic. There's no powder finish for me, as the throw from the cologne part of this is basically overpowering all else, but it's still really fresh on my skin. There could be mint, since this is extremely refreshing, but I don't really get leather, just metallics.

Also, soft would not be the first to come to mind--more like sharp, or harsh. I get an image of spare change found in the pocket of a pair of jeans on the floor, or retrieved from the cold corner inside the living room couch.

UPDATE: After refusing to believe my oil could be mislabeled or something of the sort, I tried it again this morning, but used The Black Rider as comparison, since that's my only other leather note.

I'm happy to say I do get some leather, definitely an hour into wearing it. The note, combined with the hard metallic, has made it soften a bit and gives a much warmer vibe than what I got last night. While it's still clean, it's definitely not as harsh as I found initially...could it even be morphing to something more delicate?!? :joy:

Edited by bluberyapulsaus

This is straight up aquatic to me, but quite a lovely aquatic. It goes from a strong scent to a softer one rather quickly, but the throw is still decent.

I really wish I had a bottle of this as it's the perfect aquatic to me and I'm glad that I have the imp I do.

This is very high pitched. Floral? White floral? Maybe lily of the valley? A teensy bit of violet? Light leather, like a purse. This scent reminds me of my mother. She used to wear (it's no longer made) this old-lady hand cream that ended up on *everything* - door knobs, remote controls, etc.. And her purse. OMG I smell like my mom!!!! I may put this in a roller ball with a carrier oil & give it to her for christmas.....

Edited by surlygurl

In the vial: Floral and mint and leather?

Wet: Soapy mint. It is reminding me of some shampoo I used to have.

Drydown: OOoo. Now the smell is reminding me of money. How did it do that? It's still kind of soapy and minty, but there is a little bit of new money smell, like crisp bills straight from the atm. I think this reminds me a bit of Doc Constantine's fragrance in the Carnival. I think the soapy floral note is similar.

Spare Change smells like a mix of Numb and something like House of Mirrors to me. I get that polished, metallic, clean, rich smell plus the foamy, soapy shaving cream smell of Numb. It's very cologne-y, kinda masculine, and clean.

There is definitely a metallic note that is not loving me very much right now. Which is too bad. The leather is actually behaving here, but I think it's because the metallic note has beaten it into submission. ;) The rest of the scent seems to be pretty soft.

I like the analogy of Mom's purse.

Wet, it's soft, reminds me of Puff's tissue packets with the smell of old pennies and maybe a hint of old candy/gum? Not getting any leather.

Dry, OK, I'm getting that hard to define "old lady" smell, and the smell of old corroded pennies, it's not just metallic, it's coppery. There's still something Puff's-like as, despite the corroded penny smell, it's stills soft and vaguely powdery. Corroded pennies wrapped in tissue?

Once the sharp mint fades from the first sniff of the vial.

This one is definitely a morpher, its now a soapy leather with no scent of the earlier mint.

Another scent my skin chemistry does not play well with.

Extremely pale yellow, virtually colourless oil. Clean cologne and fresh, bright gleaming chrome. Reminiscent of Torture Queen, but simpler.

Softer, much less bright and noticeably metallic. Almost powdery, and a distinct linen/cotton note has emerge. I can see where people get 'inside of a purse' and I'm not sure how Beth accomplished that! Still zingy metal if I search below, though.

This has sweetened up quite a bit - I think it's the effect of the cloth note, which is definitely cotton, very fluffy, and I get some skin musk in this too, with the light gleam of chrome in the distance. Very much a subtle skin scent on drydown - totally different in this regard from TQ.

Final drydown is amber, musk and dryer sheets. Really really delicious snuggly dryer sheets - not soapy, but plush. Still very cottony but the metallic tang is very faint. This is not like anything else I've tried in BPAL, but I like it. Very low throw but good longevity.

Starts with mint (sharp mint, not sweet), then changes to a sweet soapy smell, then vanishes totally. All gone in half an hour (this is what happens to my spare change, so I suppose it's accurate but :( )

Lemony, metallic, tiny bit of leather in the background. I'm not getting any mint, but the lemony edge to it is like moist towlettes... I like this, though, because I'm in love with that metallic note.

Origin: surprise decant from an Inquisition circle off-forum

Initial Thoughts: None really, though I tend to avoid metallic scents

In the Vial: A minty musk. I agree with the inside-Grandma's-purse description.

Wet: The mint softens a bit into the musk and I think some leather emerges. It shifts into something more like a traditional men's aftershave.

Drydown: It gets a little more metallic as it dries and the mint softens further. A subtle scent and to my nose very masculine.

Verdict: Not something I would wear. I'm going to try it on the husband and see what he thinks.

I won this in a lot with other oils and decided to pass it on to someone who collects a lot of the Christmas imps that come with the Inquisitions. But before I mailed it out, I wanted to test it.

The idea of a somewhat metal yet leathery mint scent is most amusing to me and Spare Change doesn't disappoint, it does remind one of grandma's change inside her trusty old leather handbag, filled with the scent remnants of mints' past, tissues and medicine. It smells like my Italian Nana's house in general. A scent that reminds one of one's childhood and a grandma giving you change to spend on candy.

It's leather mint with a metal note finished off by a tiny dash of cotton and flowers (like scented tissues or cotton balls). If they had this in the bottle, I'd probably buy one. The only problem with it is that it has a very light throw and doesn't last as long as I would like. Probably something better for summer than winter. I am glad I tried it though, I have never tried any of the scents from the Trading Post, even though this one has a BPAL tag on it.

Edited by Madame Nyx

Metallic tang (I get a fair bit of lemongrass when wet, actually) and BPAL's linen/cotton note.

Definitely the inside of a purse. ;)

Metallic, white floral, quite perfumey. Reminds me of an Avon perfume my mom used to wear back in the 70's, but I can't think of the name. This definitely smells like change at the bottom of a women's purse. Kind of reminds me of mom, actually, but not something I'd wear. Very glad to have tried this though!

Spare Change - This is a metallic cologne scent with a hint of powdery violet. It's totally the smell of the inside of Aunt Norma's purse. This should come with a loose, lint-covered lemon drop stuck to a crumbled, lipstick-dabbed tissue.

This smells like cotton and mint, aquatic-like and comforting. I don't get leather as other people have, but it is kind of like the bottom of a well-used purse, the faint halo of coins and chewing gum, which smells inexplicably clean anyway. It's subtle on me, with little-to-medium throw, but I think it has staying power.

This is very minty, cool and metallic, very much like spare change that has been sitting in someone's purse with peppermint gum. There is a slight tang of metal along with the ozone and aquatics. It actually eminds me a lot of the smell of my aunt's purse from when I was a kid. Not for me, but for anyone who's a fan of metallics it's definitely worth a shot.