Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Cheri

Knick-Knack

Knick-Knack was a frimp with my inquisition order. It smells like orange clove, but not like a candle type orange clove. Absolutely delicious, and if they ever make more of it I'll be getting some. The smell really reminds me of a precious little knick-knack that you just want to pick up, but can't because you know its valuable and you could break it. As its drying, its starting to smell like minty clove, or clove tea. Love it!

Edited by Cheri

Of my four stocking stuffer imps, this one's scent notes kind of match the notes of the reviewers above me. However, I'm still going to preface this and say that my notes from my stocking stuffer imps aren't exactly matching anyone elses'...so who knows? Maybe I got messed up imps for all four. :eek: UPDATE: Yeah, my nose is basically broken...After retesting, the oils are fine. :lol:

Anyway, this starts off like ginger on me--spicysweet, but it quickly morphs into a deeper, incensey spice. It's very dry, which is why the first thought upon the drydown, I thought it was cedar, but the more I sniff now, the more I can kind of believe it to be orange clove; however, it's not particularly sweet, but bitter. Bitter and spicy.

Edited by bluberyapulsaus

This smells like a lovely spicy cookie that my mom used to make around Christmas. Definitely clove, as well as cinnamon and maybe some nutmeg. There might even be some ginger, but I'm not completely sure. I don't get any orange from this, unless it's what I think is the ginger.

Overall, this is a yummy scent that is perfect for this time of year. :)

In the vial: Orange and strong spice like cinnamon

Wet: Sweet orange with a spicy edge, too spicy to be clove, or maybe clove with some kind of super-charged kick. ZOMG, Yum! I would have to buy this if it were available in a bottle. I think the super-charge is ginger, because it is reminding me strongly of Count Dracula.

Drydown: Fiery spices surrounding a more subtle orange oil. I would just slather myself in this, if I had more. Since I only have the one vial, I will likely love it, and pet it, and name it George. I never want to wash my hand again, or until it wears off. :yum:

Knick-Knack smells like sharp orange sweet tarts, dry, dusty wood, and clove, both in the imp and on my skin. It gets a little softer after it's been on my skin for a while, but I keep wishing that this were sweeter. The orange is too sharp and the whole thing smells too dry and dusty for my tastes.

In imp: Orange and clove

Wet: SPICY orange and clove. More clove than orange, I think, or maybe an orange stuff full of clove.

Drydown: Okay, something in this is making my eyes water and giving me a headache. Wash-off, imp to trade pile.

couldn't figure out what this smelled like in the vial, just that it was very familiar...

but yes, that's it. orange and clove and/or anise... i'm also getting something very tea-like. i've heard tea notes can give people a headache so that seems likely. it's surprisingly softer and more powdery than i'd imagine giving some of the other reviews, the clove isn't super strong and deep like it normally is to me.

at first, the orange in this smells more like orange rind to me than the fruit... it gets fruitier as it dries down, more of a tangerine-y smell.

warm, orange-clove tea ...

... or just like making pomanders!

yay, childhood memories.

luckily not something i'd wear as i only have a tester, but like all of the stocking stuffer imps seem to be this year, it's really nice, and well blended, and fun! :P

Wet, it was very much like true orange peel, or bitter orange with some dry, unsweetened spices to it. It was nice, and very much NOT a sweet scent.

Dry, most of the citrus has buggered off on me and left a very warm and strong blend of a couple of dry baking spices. Clove is a definite, but I'm also getting some Mace in mine as well. There may be a faint back note of dried orange peel, but not much for me.

In the vial wood, yes wet wood shaving to be precise.

On my skin its wet orange wood shavings. I never get the clove sadly.

I can't really say I got much clove from this either.. orange, definitely! On me, it's more of a wood/orange combo, I wouldn't say it's spicy. The orange is quite rich and tart, rather than sweet, but it has a creamy feel to it. This was lovely while it lasted, but faded very fast.. leaving behind a faint, orange powderiness.. it still smells lovely but I enjoyed that initial blast of orange when it was wet.

In the imp: JUICY FRUIT GUM OMG!

On my skin: the Juicy Fruit gum smell lingers for about a minute, then it morphs into this wonderful cloved orange pomander smell. The orange is fading fast though, and it's becoming more of a bitter clove scent, with perhaps some cedar in it (yes, I'm getting the dreaded pencil shavings smell in the background if I sniff too closely)? However, if I just let the scent waft through the air, it's still cloves. I love cloves...

I really like this scent, as long as I don't sniff too closely. Mmmm...

Knick knack smells like a clove studded orange, with a slight tinge of tea on the drydown.

In the tester, I'm getting CLOVE!!!! On my skin, there's a bit of a candied orange note that comes out, but it's pretty much still clove. We'll see what this does. On my skin, this smells all like orange vitamins, it's odd. Not a keeper.

Edited by Venneh

I want 5 bottles of this stuff. :thud: It is so good - it's like slipping on your favourite comfy sweater and snuggling up in front of the fire with your favourite book. I absolutely love it.

On the skin: Some spice that reminds me of clove as well as frankincense. And definitely some orange. Reminds me of Zenobia (or Osiris v4?!?) with a splash of orange.

After a bit, the woods/clove part take a bitter turn (that never happened on me with Zenobia and Osiris...)

Very bitter. I am not sure what to think about this one.... Evil skin chemistry.

-EDIT- Oh! The bitter goes away after a bit and now the sweet orange and lovely woods are just AMAZING! Might keep this one around after all.

Edited by Catseyes

Light yellow oil. Sweet orange and SUPER strong clove. The strongest clove note I've smelled in-the-imp ever! There's something oddly plastic here, too.

Spicier, warmer, and the orange is a little lighter, sweeter, and bit less juicy/bright - though it's still surprisingly strong considering how dismal citrus notes usually are on me. Other spices emerge now too - allspice and star anise, I believe. It reminds me of a pomander mostly, but a little of mulling spices also. Very cosy.

Very slow to dry. It's mellowing on my skin, becoming much smoother and more well-blended. The plastic note has vanished, and the orange fruit has morphed into almost zesty orange peel. This orange peel simmering in mulling spices. The star anise has amped up noticeably but the clove is still in command spice-wise. I'm not getting any cinnamon, but this is so warm that cassia wouldn't surprise me. And there is almost a sweet, mellow booziness here, like cognac or brandy?

Not a lot of morphing, and amazingly the orange holds! Now I almost think it's orange Schnapps or Cointreau or Triple Sec something like that - could explain both the faint booziness and the orange. The star anise has faded back down a bit and the allspice amped a little, but clove still dominates greatly.

Mulling spices with clove foremost, zesty-tart orange peel, and something unidentifiably warm, rich and cosy. A really lovely, well-melded scent on final drydown, which surprises me bc the clove was so overbearing at first. Not my style, though. Decent throw, fades a bit at first but then holds nicely.

This smells just like the incense they burn at my church!!!! Wow! Spicy, orange, clove, wood and incense. I really like it. Is there a bottle to be had??????? :wub:

I really like this one- to me it smells like orange spice tea. I get orange peel and clove, mostly, and a little bit of something else so it smells like sniffing a tea bag, or one of those pomander balls you make with oranges and leave in a potpourri bowl around the holidays. Of all the Yules I've tried, this one smells the most like a Victorian Christmas, but it's good on any cold winter day.

Knick-Knack - This smells like the inside of an orange peel -- the white, pulpy part that's definitely orange, but not as bitter and zesty as the peel and not as sweet and juicy as the fruit. There's a slight hint of clove, but amazingly, it doesn't amp on my skin as clove usually does. This fragrance sadly does not last on my skin once the scent dries down, either. It's a great scent when wet and I'd probably do best using it in an oil burner rather than on my skin. But it's nice, very nice. I wouldn't mind, either, if my clothes smelled like this, so maybe I'll use a drop or two in the dryer.

Wet, this reminds me of those chocolate oranges you smash, though a bit more heavy on the orange. I could swear there's a touch of chocolate here.. As it dries, some cedar(?) I think comes out, and we're left with a Velvet-ish blend of equal bits of orange and cedar and maaaaybe a touch of cocoa and clove. I'm starting to enjoy woody blends, and this is very nice one. I'll certainly treasure the drop or two I have left! Very glad to have tried this one!

I am going to have to retest this again, because I get this super sweet citrus gum from it... which turns slightly dusty (frankincense is that you?!). And just ends up smelling 'off' on my skin.

ETA: Yeah, the clove in this is bitter clove and totally overpowers the orange, which is there maybe for one hot second and then it turns dusty. Ultra SAD.

Edited by zankoku_zen