Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
dreadpiraterustypants2

Fire, smoke and ash scents

All right folks! Get me some water, cuz there I'm noticing an awefull lot of smoldering going on lately-

my question is how do they all compare to one another? What makes you snifflers opt for the scent of Rumpelstilzchn over Djiin?

Here's the list of known suspects:

DJINN
 black smoke, of crackling flames, and smoldering ashes.

THE APPLE OF SODOM 
Native to the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, this fruit turns to ashes when plucked as a sign of God’s displeasure.

RUMPELSTILZCHEN
Firewood and ash with an oddly otherworldly blend of patchouli, cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper, tonka, vetiver, and myrrh.

FIRE FOR THY STEPMOTHER'S DAUGHTERS

Flaming coals, hellfire, and blackened bone.

SMOKESTACKCreosote, coal, and industrial waste.

THE GRAND INQUISITOR'S HERETIC'S FORK
Coppery dried blood, metal, vetiver, and bonfire smoke.

AGNES NUTTER

Gunpowder, charred wood, smoke, and rusty nails.

Anyone missing? Any LE's perhaps?

and then there's the question of vetiver=smoke- what say you?

and we could also muse on smokey leather's (wah! de sade I miss you!) but that might be another thread~

All right folks! Get me some water, cuz there I'm noticing an awefull lot of smoldering going on lately-

my question is how do they all compare to one another? What makes you snifflers opt for the scent of Rumpelstilzchn over Djiin?

DJINN

THE APPLE OF SODOM 
Native to the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, this fruit turns to ashes when plucked as a sign of God’s displeasure.

RUMPELSTILZCHEN
Firewood and ash with an oddly otherworldly blend of patchouli, cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper, tonka, vetiver, and myrrh.

AGNES NUTTER

and we could also muse on smokey leather's (wah! de sade I miss you!) but that might be another thread~

The Music of Erich Zahn is REALLY smoky on me, but maybe it's just me, too. Vetiver is almost always smoky on me.

I'd say Gomorrah (a gritty, sordid and languid scent: ripe fig, date and currant with black herbs). BPAL doesn't specifically mention it smelling "smokey" but to me it was almost overwhelmingly so, and had a strong peppery spiciness that made me think of curling ash.

There's also Inferno of course (cinnamon, bitter almond, and neroli). Certainly has an oomph to it but was too crazy for me, and actually made my wrist break out in a rash slightly. :huh?:

The High Priest Not To Be Described (monastic incense, blood musk, black leather, cypress, pimento, white pepper, and Roman chamomile) tops as my favorite spicy/hot/fiery scent. It's not overly "omg my nose just exploded" but still very powerful and djinn-ish in my opinion.

And how about vetiver, smoke, and leather? All wrapped together with a slight sweetness? I love Kroenen (shining black leather, gleaming metal, labdanum, and myrrh).

St. John's Eve! It's described as "a summer bonfire, with frankincense and myrrh, bay rum, and white rose." On me it's all sweet, soft, well-blended smoke. I don't know if a more perfect smoke scent for me could exist, but I'm not averse to testing that theory.

I'm trying House of Night today and while it starts out very floral, it has a beautiful smoky finish.

Those two are the only BPALs I've tried so far that were explicitly smoky. Another possibility is Hand of Glory . (Beeswax, dry leather, black pepper, saltpeter, nutmeg, Mysore sandalwood, and oak bark.) To me it has a cool aftermath-of-fire feeling, like a blown-out candle.

On me, Rumpelstiltzchen smells like a campfire. Wood and smoke and ashes and warmth. Agnes Nutter was a very acrid, gunpowdery vetivery smoke, but my skin can't handle large quantities of vetiver well. Djinn is also smoky, but more of a ginger-dirt smell on me. I'd add BRIMSTONE to your list -- it's much like Djinn on me, but less spice and more vetiver/smoke.

DJINN

THE APPLE OF SODOM 

RUMPELSTILZCHEN

AGNES NUTTER

The Lights of Men's Lives is waxy/smokey, if that counts...: The wax and smoke of millions upon millions of candles illuminating the walls of Death’s shadowy cave: some tall, straight, and strong, blazing with the fire of life, others dim and guttering.

Very much the scent of an old-fashioned taper.

Second for RUMPELSTILZCHEN
 and Salome smells just like a camp fire in the woods to me although from the reviews it looks like I'm the only one getting that.

Edited by strahlend

I just love Rumpelstiltzchen! See my review of it to know why :D

And don't forget Smoky Moon.. although its not campfire type smoke, but rather the feeling of heavy grey smoke - gorgeous!

Edited by rawgirl75

I adore the scent of woodsmoke. It's my favourite scent in the whole world! Can anyone give me recommendations for scents that would smell like campfires/woodsmoke.

I've tried Rumpelstilzchen which was an abysmal failure since patchouli and vetiver do not play nice with my skin. A lot of the forest/smokey type blends seem to also include patchouli in them which is a no go for me, so please keep that in mind.

Hi! I've read through the smoke and fire recommendations, but I'm looking for more of a 'wearable' smoky scent rather than just flat out smoke..

Basically I'm looking for my perfect autumn perfume, which would be pretty much my favourite scents with a smoky over layer (much like walking down the street with your scarf wrapped around, smelling your favourite perfume and catching the scent of houses with proper wood fires :)

I have Bonfire Night, which I love, but the tar is too heavy/sickly and I smell like a bonfire when I wear it, which can make people comment.. So I'm looking for a sweet (vanilla/honey maybe?) perfumey scent combined with the smoke. More subtle and haunting, but not so subtle you can't smell it.. Nothing too burnt/harsh.

Sorry, I'm terrible at explaining!

I'm also not fond of herbal/'green' notes.

I live in the UK so buying & testing so many scents can be expensive, I was perhaps a little too specific in order to narrow it down :) Any suggestions are hugely appreciated! Thank you.

Halloween: Los Angeles from the Halloween update is a very nice smoke scent with an underlying sweet perfumey note to it. I usually don't like bpal's smoke note to much (my favorite smokey perfumes are from Cobalt Blends and CB I Hate Perfume), but Los Angeles is really nice on me.

HALLOWEEN: LOS ANGELES

The sky on fire: a strange incense of burning brush, junegrass, tumbleweeds, chaparral, and wild sage.

Saturnalia, if your body chemistry is right for the smoke. It seems to be 50-50 amongst us all. I happen to fall in the forest fire category. Saturnalia's vetiver smells like a fire, then a barbeque, for several hours on me. Then it turns into the Perfect Violet.

Edited by ElizabethOSP