Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Hunger

Evokes sheer, unadulterated carnal lust. An undeniably warm and sensual scent. Black narcissus, orange blossoms, and vanilla.

got this thanks to northernminx (thank you!)

strong, strong, strong. to the point of being medicinal. there's a sweetness to it that is way too much to handle. Not nauseating as Black Dahlia, but right now 45 minutes into wearing this, I can't say it's pleasant, and I don't want to smell like that... I'm waiting for it to soften up. hope that in an hour it'll be more tolerable. I'm patient. :P

ETA: it's been a couple of hours, and it has softened indeed. it is tolerable, and pleasant, yet now I know why it smelled familiar: Christian Dior "Poison", only better.
this is very sweet, and pungent. I would like to pass it on to someone who would fully appreciate it. up for swap it goes. Edited by Shollin

Hunger is one from my first pile of imps. I love the spicy, sharp, sweet contradictions going on in this.

Wet, it certainly made me feel a yearning - the compulsive need for something just beyond one's grasp.

On dry down, it is sweet, mellow and still evolving - getting warmer and ambery on me! Gotta have it..... I love this one.

Now my keyboard smells like Hunger.

:P

On me, Hunger started out as a heavy, over-the-top cloying floral and never dried down to a scent I was comfortable with. It's so sweet to my nose that it reminds me of a Pikaki perfume that my aunt brought back from Hawaii---that gave me headaches.

However, I layered this one with Velvet and it really took down the sweetness a few notches. Now all I get is chocolate orange and sandalwood, with the occasional waft of the once-overpowering orange blossom.

I don't know if I would wear Hunger again on its own, but I'll keep the imp for wearing with my beloved Velvet.

Evil Dreamsicle indeed.

I adore creamsicles. Lovelovelove the creamy orange goodness. Hunger makes me crave one like ytou wouldn't believe. Right out of the bottle it's orange .. but it's almost blood orange it's so dark and wicked.

Just putting it on my skin brings out the orange even more, mingled with a light vanilla note that is so unlike the typical overdone vanilla I'm always afraid to smell. I hold to the impression that this rather than being a sweet naval orange is more like a blood orange .. a bit tart, a bit spicy, and just a little scary to bite into.

As the night draws on, this grows a bit more incensy, as someone else noted I think. but it's sweet, and lovely. I don't know which I would want to do with this, wear it or make it into incense and wax tarts, as I know I'd love for my room at least to smell like this, if not the whole house.

Hunger

I can understand why people find this sexy but unfortunately this was not my reaction.

At first this is a sharp floral and soon the orange comes along sugaring everything up. I can't say that it's cloying but I don't like it. I actually find it rather unsettling and erm malicious almost. It's a sweet innocent drink that's been spiked. :P :D

i got this in a swap from nevermore, and when i smelled it, the first thing i did was go, "ew, this is going in the swap pile."

well, i read the reviews and i decided that i'd try it on. i grabbed it from my imp box and noticed in the lighting that the oil was separated, which is something i hadn't noticed when i first smelled it. i turned it upside down and rolled it in my palm until the oil was dispersed (it still isn't settled though-- it's just cloudy. :\)

i smelled it again, and i could smell the orange and vanilla over the note that i had smelled originally, which i'm guessing is the black narcissus. honestly, i love this, but every scent i've tried with black narcissus has just turned horrible on my skin.

Either I have an imp from a truly superlative batch, or Hunger was designed specifically with me in mind, because it is That Good on me.

Hunger goes on to me sweet and fruity like Glitter for the first five minutes. Then it turns into a wash of smoky black flavours swirling around me. This isn't creamsicle, this is a creamsicle that you just melted on your partner for, um, personal reasons. That you just dripped candle wax on.

Ordered a big bottle. Hope it's as good as my imp!

In the Bottle: Mmm...orange blossoms and something dark and sensual underneath. That must be the black narcissus. So *that's* what narcissus smells like. *shiver* I can see why they call this such a sensual blend. I wonder if I will think its more sexy than Blood Lotus?

On Me: More orange blossom than anything else. Considering that I get chased around by this one guy when I wear something with oranges in it, like Kuang Shi, this could be a rather interesting smell. The narcissus is coming out more, and that's what I love in this scent. Mmmm...yummy! *Very* yummy! My goodness, the blend really is very arousing. I'm not certain if I would call it as arousing to me as Blood Lotus, which seems to be sex in a bottle, but very close. And then they hit me with vanilla!!! How cruel! How sexy! Orange and vanilla...I ahve to share this with Juliet since that was what she was looking for.

Ahhh...sexy sexy sexy....so a-slathering I will go. I'll have to pick up a bottle of this for me and one for my friend. She would LOVE this!

I had high hopes for this since vanilla usually works very well on me and I also love orange blossom.

In the vial this was a rather sharp, dark scent. Hunger did not change much from wet to drydown and its most distinctive feature on me was smokiness. Not my favourite note. There was an underlying sweet fruitiness to the blend that was rather enjoyable, but not enough to cut through the thick smokiness. As for the vanilla, it never showed up.

I see that several reviews compare Hunger to Snake Oil and that was my experience too. Unfortunately my skin chemistry seems to bring out all the incense and smoke notes in both blends. Oh well. Hopefully I will be able to give it to someone who will love it.

Narcissus usually hates me -- but the combination of vanilla and orange blossom really redeems it. It's warm and sensual, deep and sweet but with a tang. This is similar to Ravenous, but without the patchouli that made me gag. Hunger is very pretty and might, MIGHT win out for a big bottle.

ADDED July 6:

Hmm... in the vial, I don't entirely like the idea of putting Hunger on my skin.

On my skin, it's very powdery, slightly sweet, and ever so slightly orangey. At least the narcissus doesn't smell like poo on me today, but it's just a little too powdery for my tastes on my skin. :P

I thought I despised this at first. It smelled like orange-flavored cough syrup, some kind of children's medicine laced with a fake candy taste. And then it really grew on me, especially as the vanilla warmed and emerged. This is one of those BPAL oils that I don't like, exactly, and yet I cannot compulsively stop sniffing it. It's off-putting yet addictive. It struck a sour note with my parents so I think I'll save it as a house scent... I can see where other people find it sexy but on me it really isn't.

I LOOOOVED this one!!! I received it as a free Imp and it truthfully made my whole box smell wonderful! From the first sniff and beyond I could tell that this will be a great scent for me. Initially when I first smelled this wet it made me think of spicy orange with vanilla - when I put it on my wrist it smelled more like spicy/orange incense - in fact it smelled to me like it almost had a touch of patchouli in it - even though it doesn't - maybe that was the black narcissus - definitely more spicey than flowery. This definitely gets a huge "thumbs-up" - I am going to place an order for a 5 ml. of this one!! :P :D :D

I loved this one too!

When I first put it on, it was very orangey-vanilla, with a hint of something in the background.

Then it dries, and it's wonderful. The orange on me turns into a very clean orange blossom-y smell, not foody, which I like. The orange is then warmed and smoothed out by the vanilla, and the narcissus gives it a bit of darkness. Yum :P

In the bottle: I can really smell the orange. I'm worried, and almost don't put it on, because orange typically turns into bitter nastiness on me. I am feeling rather lusty and sensual though, and decide to risk it. :P

Wet: I can smell the orange, but it is sharp, and starts settling down before it goes bitter. I small something I can't identify, and it must be the black narcissus. It smells fresh and not too sweet.

Dry: It has settled into a wonderful orangey vanilla. Kind of a like a wicked creamsicle. *loves*

First I got Hunger in a swap and then I got is as a gift from the lab. The first imp had a stronger narcissus note which was very acrid on me, I didn't care for it. The second imp had a touch less narcissus and I liked it a little better. To me, it was kind of a cross between Snake Oil (the patchouli and vanilla) and Vixen (orange blossom , patchouli and vanilla). I still don't like the narcissus, but it goes away in about half an hour leaving an orange creamsicle grounded by incense. However, it's a little too similar to Snake Oil and Vixen, I like them better and I don't have to go through an unpleasant dry down with them, so I think I will swap this.

On me, hunger was...I don't know. I like it so much that I can't describe it. It was sweet and floral throughout, with quite some endurance. It's still going strong 7 hours later, and I'm so happy it is!

The notes in Hunger blend so well on me that I couldn't pick out anything at first...I just knew that I LOVED it! After reading the description, I realized that it was the narcissus that pokes it's head through a subtle vanilla-orange-cream scent that is absolutely delectible....This would be lovely to cloak the body with, as in a lotion, or to scent my sheets with....Big Bottle for sure....I am in love. This is what I was hoping for in Snake Oil.

Edited by lunalight7

I wanted to smell like an evil creamsicle, truly I did. But Hunger didn't want to do that for me.

In the bottle: A very strong, almost cloying floral. After having smelled a live narcissus, that must be what I smell.

On me: Heavy, waxy, patchouli smelling narcissus. It does mellow as it dries, but the orange and vanilla notes never appear to my nose. Instead, it remains a strong floral that makes me vaguely sick to my stomach.

I tried this on at the same time as Tarot: the Devil, and thought they had the same base notes.

I love this one, too. It's rich and heady and wears well. I do put it in the same sort of family as Snake Oil - which I wear nearly every day.

Am considering a big bottle purchase.

I was kind of worried about this one as vanilla and I do not necessarily play nicely together. I'm definitely getting the Snake Oil scent as I open the bottle. Wet on my skin I'm getting amber or resin (I've got a hard time distinguishing between those two), and orange. There's something faintly chocolatey about it as well. The resins definitely predominate. I'm not getting much vanilla, but the orange blossoms and narcissus keep this very fresh. I think my skin amplifies resin/amber like nobody's business because I get this overwhelming resin/amber out of every scent that contain it. That's okay, I like the scent. There's a short period in the wearing stage where I get a bit of the described creamy orangeness, but honestly, for most of it's life, Hunger smells just like Snake Oil on me. I swear, the two could be twins for me.

On the drydown I get a good deal of vanilla- this is the only stage that is heavily vanilla for me.

You know, I don't know what's going on... I don't know if it's my nose or what, but when I tried this, all I could smell was something akin to wood, but not really. Maybe it's the vanilla.

Reading the components of Hunger, one would think I'd like it, but for some reason, I just can't smell it on my wrists. It's as if my skin inhaled it and chose to emit a faint, rubber smell in its place. I don't think this smells like the wicked creamsicle others have been getting.

I had asked my boyfriend to sniff me, and he says it smells like "holidays." Or maybe he said "hollandaise," but I'm pretty certain it's the former. After fifteen minutes I'm still sort of cramming my nose into my wrist to find some of the notes of this scent, unsuccessfully. I'd blame it on my now-gone cold, but I can smell plenty of other things around me.

Maybe it's one of those weird reactions that one out of every thousand people get with a certain BPAL oil; the oil mysteriously disappears into the skin, much to the amazement of the wearer. I've heard of this happening to other people.

I'll try this oil again maybe in a couple of days, but if I get the same reaction, I'll probably pass this along to someone who doesn't have such a bizarre experience.

-doreen

When I first applied Hunger there was a lovely sort of spicy-chocolate-orange stage (I want to say spicy chocolate orange cake because I'm literally hungry :D but really it was indeed like one of those candy oranges, only spicier). At that point I thought it might be too sweet -- Is there such a thing, I wondered?! Thought it might mellow a bit, and if not, okay ... this is just supposed to be for when you want to feel edible then. :D

Alas ... while I was grooving on this stage of the teetering-on-the-edge-of-almost-too-sweet-but-still-tasty scent of Hunger, Smoky came out to play. And he brought his friend Mr. Incense. Of whom I'm not usually overly fond, but I try to be tolerant.

I found myself wondering whether in this case the blend's name referred to my skin's hunger for orange blossoms and vanilla, 'cause baby they were gone. :P Narcissus remained, and actually the spicy/incensey warmth of the scent got nicer as time went on, and the smokiness died down. I did miss the yummy sweetness of Hunger though ... Just don't think this one works with my body chemistry.

In the Vial: Spicy, with a hint of sweet. That's about all I can really get out of it. Nothing specifically jumps out and says "here I am!". I think when I originally read the description I honed in on the Vanilla and Orange (thinking Orange fruit) and thought it would smell somewhat creamsicle like, but it definitely doesn't.. at least, yet...

Wearing it: Ooh.. Now I'm getting the vanilla and orange blossom in alternated waves. It is different than I was imagining it'd be like, yet at the same time, it's not. Where the creamsicle idea is much more youthful, this is definitely related but much more grown up.. definitely much more sensual than innocent.

After it's on for awhile, you can pick up that "bpal smell" hiding deep in there, but not enough to overpower this wonderful blend.

Verdict: It's not enough to supplant my other favorites, but I definitely like this one alot!!

Hunger is sweet and very sexy on me on a good day--a spicy incensey scent and vanilla. On a bad day, the orange blossom is overpowering and sour. If it were more consistently good on me, I'd definitely get a bigger bottle, but as it is, I'll stick with my imp and hope for the best. :P