Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
fairnymph

Dorian v3

Sniffed: Extremely pale yellow oil. Milky/creamy (not sour milk) vanilla tea with a very intense, strongly-brewed tea note - definitely black tea. Doesn't have that sugar note, way more tea than  released Dorian and a stronger vanilla note.

Wet: TEA! This is by far the strongest black tea note and scent in BPAL ever - like true tea, it has those slight piney and citrusy nuances - it's complex, both fresh and rich, light and deep. I still get the vanilla, but most of the creaminess has vanished. I also get an almost sort of soapy note - maybe it's just the freshness of the tea? It's not BAD, it does impart a nice cleanness.

Dry: The tea is mellowing, losing its sharpness, and the vanilla is amping. Now I get a bit of musk coming out, and a bit of that very slightly dry white sandalwood. Nearly identical vanilla-musk-sandalwood base as Jingo-Kogo, in fact! It also reminds me a bit of Antique Lace's faded flowers & vanilla.

Later: Creamier now, as if the cream has returned, though I think it's just a facet of the vanilla and the tea note softening. The musks, too, are almost creamy. And there are definitely multiple musks. Still that faint sort of floral-vanilla note from AL as well.

My skin is being a bit weird on later drydown due to menstrual stuff, so I need to retest this as I got such a delicious J-L like musky drydown before, but then this was too near other scents on my arm second time around. But so far, this is my favourite of all the new protos I've tested so far, which is about half.

From the bottle, this is a more comforting GC Dorian. Not sexier...just comforting. Like the sexy victorian gentleman threw a blanket around you (after all the sex-having...) :lol:

Starts out like Dorian, and then turns warm and full. That's the only way I can describe it. Is that coconut?

Pretty sure this is Coconut. This note smells like Eden's fading stage on me. And it mixes great with the sugared musk of Dorian.

Take Dorian, add coconut, and get LOVE. Seriously. I'm not a fan of coconut (too much pina colada-esque stuff makes me nauseous), but this is nice. The coconut note makes it green but also somehow makes Dorian foodie, in an awesome way.

Stronger black tea note, creamier and with a hint of vanilla. Much more foodie than the released version. Much creamier as well. As it dries, I get coconut.

So take Dorian, add giant dollop of Malibu Rum, and you get this.

So.not.for.me, but if you ever wanted Dorian + coconut, don't miss out on this one.

Ok, I got a blast of coconut in the wet stages and it burnt off pretty quick during the drydown. As this dried though, it became very similar to Theodosius from the Carnival. Almost indistinguishable really. Theo works much better on my skin than the released Dorian does, so this was win! :)

When I first apply this oil, it smells like the clean vanilla-musk of Dorian paired with berry lemonade. It's a bit more tart/fruity than I normally enjoy, but it is a fun and playful scent. It's summery and my husband likes this on me.

The released version of Dorian is one of my favorite scents, and I find Dorian v2 to be very addictive, but v3 is just okay on me...

Edited by Little Bird

This stuff reminds me exactly of a certain Twinings coconut tea (I believe it's Twinings Voyage Brazilian something), which I fell hopelessly in love with after receiving some from a swap buddy in the UK but have one hell of a time finding here in the US. It's yummy and really soothing at the same time, with creamy coconut (at least what comes across as coconut on me!) and vanilla, with just the tiniest hint of lemon, floating on a relaxing classic tea background. The lemon is fortunately very faint, a whisper in the background that blends perfectly with the tea and doesn't scream "lemon", allowing the coconut and vanilla to take center stage. This isn't sharp or cloying in the least, just comforting and coconutty with the right amount of sweetness. Now if anyone who ever swaps with me in the future has easy access to that tea, do let me know...:yum:

Edited by Invidiana

Dorian V3 is everything I've always wanted the GC Dorian to be but without that *thing* that the original has that, no matter how many times I try, I really don't like on me, or in general.

It's Dorian but BETTER.

Dorian V3 is warmer, less lemony, and more coconuty on the drydown; a little more (and ach I don't like using the word but I use it positively) plastic, while a little less rancid. A bit deeper, more grounded.

Though I still don't smell it and think OMG coconut... It's still really really yummy.

& As with all my favorite bpal oils, it ages well on my skin, has good lasting power & throw, layers well, and is always guaranteed to get me at least one WOW you smell good! comment from a random human, stranger, friend, or lover. Which is always always fun.

I bought 2 bottles of these. One for me and one for a friend who couldn't come to willcall. She loves Vanillas + Coconuts and loves this too. And I had to get greedy when my mother smelled mine and wanted to keep it :P

I got her 2 bottles of her own (her first ever) so she was appeased. ;)

Masculine and leathery, but with an occasional whiff of tea with lemon, all with a slight undertone of powdery sweetness. I'm glad I got to try this for the powdery part and the tea part, but I won't go hunting for more.

Dorian V3 is more like what I wanted Dorian to be when it was raved about to me--plus coconut, one of my favorite notes!

In imp: Identifiably Dorian, plus sugary coconut. The hint of cologne in the background darkens it and keeps the tea and coconut from making it foody.

Wet: Coconut with a little tea and just a smidge of cologne.

Dry: A well blended combination of everything that makes Dorian Dorian, with more tea than I'm used to. Perfection!

Edited by Whisperstilled

From the vial this smells like citrus cleanser. On my skin the tea jumps out and it smells like tea and citrus cleanser. Picking up something rubbery as it dries. Tea tends to manifest on my skin in oddly chemical ways, and this is no exception. Something in the background of this makes me think of going in Pier One, all wicker and potpourri smelling. And the furniture has recently been polished with Lemon Pledge.

Dorian plus... cream, light soap, and coconut? I don't smell any bergamot or tea. This is Dorian in drag as Snow White.

As it dries I begin to get whiffs of the lavender fougere; actually, I detect a background similar to the released TKO blend (which is a favorite). The soap wears away, but it stays a white-cream-and-coconut blend over a very faint grassy lavender and marshmallow. No tea, no, sir. Not wild about it. If I hold my arm sideways and give a long glancing sniff I get the released Dorian under coconut body lotion. I can see how the soft white creaminess would appeal to a lot of people, but it isn't me.

Okay. I applied a second time and really slathered, rather than dabbing like I did at first. That got me a blast of lemony bergamot/Earl Grey tea and lavender, with a stronger lavender in the background. Again, it quickly collapsed into a billowing poof of coconut-lavender milk body lotion. Lovely and feminine and delicate, but really Not Me.

Origin:

5mL from chinkee21.

Preconceived notions:

I really like Dorian and I've been wanting to try this version for quite a while. Based on reviews, I'm expect Dorian plus coconut and maybe some leather? At least, I think someone mentioned leather at some point, although looking at the most recent reviews, it doesn't look like anyone's mentioned it. So either I confabulated that little detail in my head or it wasn't something that most people got (I'm too lazy at the moment to read further back in the thread to figure out whether I'm imagining having read it or not).

First sniff:

Definitely Dorian with coconut added. I also smell something that could be lavender and a stronger black tea note than in the released version. It's sweet (the vanilla) and a little creamy (the coconut) and just a tiny bit herbal.

Wet on skin:

Once it hits my skin, the coconut note dies down quite a bit, but it's still noticeably there. In some ways, it reminds me of White Rabbit (without the lemony ginger) meets Dorian with a splash of sweet coconut and a sprig of lavender as a garnish. Very pretty and more complex than the released version.

Dry down:

The coconut is back now. If there's lavender in here, it's disappeared during the drydown. Or it might just be a phantom pseudo-note that only smelled like lavender in the bottle and wet on my skin.

I agree that if you took a cup of strong vanilla-infused black tea and added in a splash of coconut rum, this is what it would smell like. I'm not sure I'd want to drink that concoction, but it certainly smells pretty.

The bottom line:

I really like this version quite a bit, although if it had leather in it, I think Dorian could be sexy and charmingly androgynous, rather than sweet and foppish (and rather feminine). A little bit of an edge without giving away the secret evil inside, perhaps?

v3 starts out very citrusy on me. It's very sharp and tea-ish as well. The lemon does calm down and is joined by a vanillic musk with a tinge of coconut. Sweet, delightful but the citrus is a bit bothersome for me.

This starts off pretty much like Dorian, but I find it heavier on the lemon and musk, almost sharp. There's a pretty slightly creamy coconut note that emerges. So, it's the heavy Dorian lemony tea (strong on the lemon) creamy vanilla musk with the soft coconut. It's like a tropical version of Dorian. Dorian visits the Bahamas, lol. Too heavy overall for me, but if Dorian is your thing you might want to seek it out.

In bottle: ohhhh. This is love! Hello, lemon pastries! Definitely foodier than the released Dorian.

Wet on skin: similar to the bottle scent. This kind of reminds me of a cross between Dorian and Lemon-scented Sticky Bat: its not overwhelmingly sweet and foody like LSSB was on me, but foodier and yummier than Dorian. This is really more of the pastries alongside that tea, than the tea itself with pastries alongside it. I love this! But...oh no. Is that a plasticky note I am detecting? :s

Dry: sigh. Dorian with a plastic note. I blame my skin chemistry wholly for this. I assume that the foodier-ness of this version is because of added cream, which invariably turns into plastic on my skin.

Verdict: curse you, cream.

On the skin:

Black tea with a slightly licorice feel, some smooth vanilla, and a tiny hint of lemon. I think I definitely prefer the released version better, but this one is interesting.

It's not for me at all. I don't really like the licorice note that appears on my skin and won't fade.

This is released, GC Dorian with an addition of a sweet coconut note. Possibly coconut cream because I get a smooth/creamy smell from it. Not the usual coconut note I come across in perfume oils because it doesn't go plasticky [on me]. Not sure if it the aging, but I don't get a lot of lemon. Mostly musk, tea + coconut. Pretty nice!

Edited by Midnight Aeval

In the bottle it smells like a mellower creamier version of Dorian.

On my skin it definitely smells like Dorian, but it doesn't have the same sexy cologne edge. It has more of a lemony tint, not outright citrus, just kinda candy lemony. There is also a mild pleasant floral edge which makes this a more feminine incarnation. Almost like vanilla blossom.

It has a subtle black tea with honey in the dry down, and lots of cream.

It's not sexy. Dorian is sexy. V3 is soft and cuddly and a bit sensual. Sorta post sexy rumpus with the delicious gentlemen we all know. Hehe <3