Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
princessbeena

Playing with Dangerous Toys v2

I was able to get a bottle of this thanks to a very kind forum member...for some reason I really wanted to try this one.

I was very shocked when I opened the bottle because the released version has dirt smeared cocoa, spanish moss, charred wooden beams etc.

This version is SO different than the released version. I get a blast of pink bubblegum when I first opened the bottle.....this reminds me VERY much of Velvet Unicorn.....pink bubblegum. cotton candy, and maybe some strawberry. I think this one didn't get released because it wasnt DANGEROUS enough live up to it's name.....it almost seems like this would have been more suitable for the NICE category of scents....it's very pink and girly.....if you like pink bubblegum-marshmallow scents you will love this...I know I do :wub2:

Golden oil. Bubblegum, yellow cake, lemon buttercream frosting (but pink coloured!). Sweet and foody. P013 meets bubblegummy lotus!

In the bottle I am surprised to smell bubblegum... and cake. Light sweet fresh moist vanilla cake. Unexpected.

On it doesn't morph much. Still bubblegummy cake. But not like some of the other cake blends that the lab has done. Those usually go sadly stale once they hit my skin, but this stays light sweet and fresh.

The bubblegummy part starts to fade after a bit leaving a sweet yummy light sweet fresh moist vanilla cake scent.

Looking at the other reviews I don't get the strawberry or lemon that the others reviewers got. But I do get a feel for the marshmallow and cottoncandy.

This is while the children are happily getting hopped up on sugary sweets and bubble gum while they are playing with the dangerous toys... before it all goes dreadfully wrong.

Oddly enough, for me it started as citrusy cookies... and then it was definitely more of lemon meringue and butter. I could really get some 'frothy' egg whites. It made me think of lemon meringue pie, in which you can really smell the meringue. Maybe a hint of bubblegum, but not much.

I seem to be getting a mix of both the lemon-y cookies and bubblegum-y cake. Either way this is very sweet and foodie on me. I can faintly detect a little hint of vanilla beneath.

Hello, odd skin chemistry! I didn't get any lemon or cookies or similar things to the reviewers upthread. Instead, when I first tried this on, I got a blast of banana. Whut? The banana dried away and it tried to be lotus/bubblegum for a while (only similarity to earlier reviewers) and that finally went away too (not a fan) and now it's cherry. Like fake cherry candy, or--I have a cherry air freshener in my car that smells like this. Like the idea of what a candy cherry would smell like, but in no way like a real cherry. I like the ending scent, just not the drydowns to get there!

Oh yes, this is VERY different from the released version. And being the foody scent lover that I am, I love this proto much better than the released version. On my skin, I get lots of bubblegum/lotus and lemon cake. I can see why Beth went with the released version, as this prototype just doesn't smell diabolical enough to represent "dangerous toys". :twisted: But WOW I really love this!

Just think if you threw together pink bubblegum, cotton candy, lemon drops and pink-frosted cupcakes in a food processor and blended them well--that's exactly what this smells like. Despite the gobs of desserts it's not sickeningly sweet at all, and the tartness of the lemon drops (at least that's what I'm guessing it is) doesn't blast in your face like some lemon fragrances do, just balances everything else nicely from the background. I love candy and dessert scents, and this one satisfies my sweet tooth with no consequences. :yum: There is a way that I can classify it as dangerous--if you actually ate all the stuff it smells like at once it'd pose a huge danger to your thighs.

In bottle: This is candy smelling. I’m thinking fruit taffy maybe. There’s something darker underneath, I’m having trouble identifying through all that candy. Wet: there’s more complexity under the surface. The fruit candy stays dominant, and I’d say the fruit is stronger than it was even. Now there’s something softer almost green and vaguely floral. It improves as it warms. I’m having trouble identifying the other foody note as the whole effect is more than a little overwhelming. I thought I wasn’t going to like this when I first opened the bottle, but it’s just fascinating once the candy backs off. There’s some cool gardeny things going on with errant crushed bits of foliage and something I suspect of being watermelon. Not fake watermelon, but juicy and a little delicate like the actual fruit. It’s strong and different and hard to place because the variety of things going on is confusing. Dry: It’s vaguely cakelike with that maybe watermelon thing going on and something almost metallic. It’s stays strong a long time.

Wowsers, this is a freaky blend - it keeps changing its mind about what it wants to smell like!

When it first goes on.. bubblegum, pink fruity bubblegum. Then it does a spicy orange turn that reminds me of Knick Knack and Olisbos. Then a cakey kinda thing starts up, and the orange changes to a brighter citrus - more lemon-y. Oh, did I mention that all happened in the first five minutes? So really.. :think:

In the end, it finally settles back into that orange spiciness that appeared earlier, and I do detect something dark and green in there but it's very peripheral. Ultimately, I'm left with a spicy orangey fruity bubblegum :D

I wish that this version of Dangerous Toys had been released instead of the bitter, dry woods heavy version that was actually released. I don't smell any similarities between this and the released version.

This is foodie, sweet, lovely, and citrussy enough to make the blend feel summery and not-too-sweet. I get the bubblegummy note that others have mentioned, but it fades in the drydown and this is more like a lemon-y cake smell with creamy vanilla frosting. Every once in a while, I think that this smells fruity-marshmallowy like Marshmallow Poof.

ETA: I liked this so much that I ordered two bottles off of the lab's etsy site. They were good for a couple months, and then the oil seemed to turn rancid and off. They now smell like sour citrus and baby powder. A bunch of the prototype bottles I got off of etsy have done this (turned sour). Really weird and disappointing. I guess maybe this is why these versions weren't released...

Edited by Little Bird

Fruity bubblegum. Very sugary at first. As it begins to dry something else is coming out though… hard to place. Booze maybe? Dries down kind of familiar, maybe some vanilla… it's kind of cake-like and musky in the same way Floating Brain [released] was. Ok, but not my style of scent.

Lots of yellow cake batter, bubblegum-pink frosting, saltwater taffy, and bananas foster, with a hint of scorched sugar caramel and brandied peaches in the back.

I got a sniffie bottle of this recently with a testable amount, huzzah!

In Bottle: Bubblegum! With maybe a touch of spice. There's also something intriguingly boozy here, in the background.

Wet: Still bubblegum, but now there's cake! Bubblegum cake, delightful. Whatever was the booziness seems to be fading quick, but yep, this is moist yellow birthday cake through and through.

Dry: Spicy birthday cake with some cream that has unfortunately gone a little sour on my skin. Citrusy - at first I thought I smelled lemon, but it's definitely orange, and the cake and bubblegum are both fading to leave a sweet, candied orange scent. I wish the cake had stuck around to play more, but as it is, still, what a morpher! Bubblegum to birthday cake to candied oranges. Very interesting and complex. 4/5

Wow, this one is adorable. In the bottle and wet on skin : pink bubble gum (lotus, maybe?) and yellow cake.

The bubble gum note (which seems to have an almost floral edge on me, so lotus?) is front and center - pretty yelly, actually. As the oil dries it becomes so so nice. It's sweet, sugary pink and yellow cake with frosting on top. I love this.

The wet stage is a little loud with the bubble gum, but the dry down is so completely worth getting to. And, as someone else noted above, it is reminiscent of Velvet Unicorn to me too. Which is just another bonus of love infused sweetness. Ahhhhh.... :wub2:

Wow. Sweet, sweet pink bubblegum. You know that bubblegum that is almost powdery and so filled with sugar that it has a hard time staying together in your mouth because of all the sugar? Yeah, that bubblegum. :lol:

And cake. Some sort of cakey vanilla with a sort of salty sweet thing in the background.

Candy heaven. But just too sweet for me. :eek: :thud:

I'm so glad I snagged a bottle of this when it was up on Etsy; I was second-guessing if I needed it because of the mentions of bubble gum. On me I get pink buttercream frosting :yum: , not bubble gum.

It makes sense that this one wasn't released. It doesn't exactly scream "Playing with dangerous toys"... "Eating delicious pink frosting cupcakes" would have been a better name for this one!

In bottle: oooh, pink bubblegum! Like those old Bazooka bubblegum we used to love (well, I'd still go for it if I found it these days!). Yum yum yum.

Wet on skin: pink bubblegum and cake, a kind of thickly-frosted chiffon cake? I hope this doesn't turn plasticky on my skin--the pink bubblegum flavor is so fun :D It's obviously quite sweet, sugary pink sweet, but this is a sweetness I don't think I'd mind wearing ;)

Dry: something is not quite right here. I get a bit of sourness...not exactly a sour lemon, as I usually like citruses and this is NOT citrusy, it's sour. Maybe there is a milk component in this, which can go sour on me? It's just at odds with the beautiful pink bubblegum. The plastic note, which was nowhere to be found in the wet stage, did not make its presence known until maybe about 30 minutes dry on my skin; so yeah, there's definitely cream in this.

Verdict: slightly sour and plasticky--totally not a good thing. Pass :(

My #1, I have 3 bottles, I adore this scent. To me it is bubble gum at first, then it becomes the perfect vanilla frosting. The dry down reminds me of sweet iced tea- though I do not believe there is a tea note in it. It's just comforting!! :wub2:

Oh, how I adore sweet cake and frosting scents. Oh how I wish my skin chemistry didn't ruin this. I get a hint of sweetness for just a moment, then BAM! Stale Chinese food in a shriveled cardboard container. Why?? :cry2:

The good news is that someone else will get to try this one out, and I really, really hope it works better for them.

Note: I have not tried the released version of this scent.

This started off as banana Laffy Taffy, morphed into bubblegum, and then turned into this lovely lemony cake.

I liked the cake phase, but I wasn't too fond of the Laffy Taffy or bubblegum phases of the scent.

This is absolutely nothing like the original Playing With Dangerous Toys! Basically a bubblegum single note on my skin. There's a faint vanilla frosting note, which makes me think of a vanilla cake with bubblegum toppings. As usual with me and bubblegum, I love this! Definitely wish this was the Dangerous Toys that was released instead, but I can appreciate both.

A freebie from the lovely doomsday_disco! I'm so intrigued - I like sweet/foodie, and this seems so different from the released version!

Immediately: pink bubblegum, not in a bad way - sugary, fruity, that stretchy candy-gum quality.

A few minutes in: a cake frosting note! Sweet, sweet pink frosting, still with the bubblegum over the top.

After an hour: it seems really balanced between the bubblegum and the frosting, still! It's very young and fun - I like it, though I wonder if it would've worked even better on teenage me! This would be a good late spring-summer scent: pink and bouncy!

Awesome Husband: ...Froot Loops..?

me: I get bubblegum, I think?

Husband: yes, that! :D